What's Your Favourite Genre of RP?

Arthur C. Clarke formulated three adages that define the realm of imaginative writing. These simple observations peel away the flesh of nuance and lay bare the bones of verisimilitude.

1. When a distinguished scientist states that something is possible, he or she is almost certainly right. When he or she states that something is impossible, he or she is possibly very wrong;
  2. The only way of discovering the boundaries of possibility is to venture a little way past the possible into the impossible;
  3. Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic.

Magic or Science, Elves or Aliens, Teleporting Wizards or Translocating Scientists, Fiery Swords or Lightsabers. Kings or Presidents, Fae Courts or Technocratic Councils.

The above mentioned scientist is the counterpart to the wizened old sorcerer. The help they can provide can be as profound as it can be not-so-much. A story is fueled by adversity, and the strides made to overcome the situation into which our beloved protagonists (or in some cases, Antagonists...) are thrust. What really is the difference between a magic wand and a blaster pistol?

I've been roleplaying a very long time. For me, it's not so much the genre. It's the adventure, it is the time and effort invested by the players and storytellers alike to create a living, breathing world, no matter the skin it wears. It is taking that spark of imagination, that sense of wonder that still burns like an ember, and fanning it into a flame that allows us to, if just for a moment, escape into another place, to live another life, regardless of how fantastic, futuristic, apocalyptic, or just plain weird it may be.

But, that's just me. I like pretty much all of it, so long as it is done well. :>

Swords and magic style fantasy is easily my favourite genre of roleplay; speaking of which know of any easy to getinto universes on here?

I like all forms, but my current obsession is ModFa all the way! Though, I did see someone say Steampunk earlier, and I do enjoy that, too!

I love fantasy, especially in a medieval setting. Sometimes I go for fandoms, but the ones I like are set in a fantasy rich universe.

High and Low fantasy - but my greater interests lay in the Sci Fi realm, partially military based scenarios such as space flight and galactic type space opera.

I also like drama ( this would include the mixed themes of slice of life, Romance, and those types of subjects with respects towards regular fictional type stories)

I like reality, only I like to set in like an 1800's time period (like period drama movies). But I also really enjoy fantasy (like Lord of the Rings).

I like doing action roleplays a lot, and modern/slice-of-life stuff is chill and fun. Also, I'm a sucker for romance and I love playing in medieval settings, too. Recently, I've been wanting to try playing some canon characters in fandom roleplays, but I'm never very confident of how well I can portray them, lol. That's what always held me back from doing it before. I just want to have fun with it though, so I've been trying to throw that out the hypothetical window~

Medieval with magic, adventure, and perhaps a touch of romance is my weakness. Horror/mystery sounds really fun though and I'd love to give it a try! Modern fantasy or future fantasy/Sci-Fi would be interesting too.

~WimsyWillow

High Fantasy, Science Fiction (Yeah, Science Fiction as in not Science Fantasy, there's a difference.), Cyberpunk and Steampunk.

Back