Who, or What, is She? (Discontinued)

ArgonianScum

Scalthsss
@SnapePotions34

It was a humid morning in the town of Black Water County. It was just early enough in the morning to be late, which was a perfect time to ready the diner for some early birds looking to taste some fresh coffee, and hot eggs. The coffee maker boiled, and bubbled, and the stove tops sizzled, and burned as Mamie readied her station for the first customers. It was usually just her working in the early mornings since they barely had any visitors, and that was how she’s liked it. While everything was warming up, she took a seat in one of the old, worn booths, and took out her journal to document her day.

The door bell chimed as one of the early regulars came inside the diner.
“Mornin’ Maim,” the old man greeted as he limped into the store, and took a seat at his regular booth. Maime smiles before scooted out of the booth, and moving behind the bar to pour him a mug of coffee. “Good morning Well,” she greeted as she placed the mug in front of him, the lable long worn down to a mere smudge of color. “The weather sure is funny today. There might be some rain later.” She sat across from him, crossing a leg over the other. She could see, by the look on his face, that he wanted room tell her something. She didn’t have to ask to find out.
“Rain ain’t the only thing that may be comin’ ‘round,” he drawled. “I heard- no.. seen a new gal walkin’ about..” A new girl? Here? The town wasn’t all that great. It was old, boring, and awfully tame. He may have just spotted someone he had never seen before.. somehow..

Emily smiled as she went down the street and watched the unfamiliar children walk to whatever school they went to. Children were her preferred prey, but she wasn't picky if she had to kill an adult, teen, or elder. However, sometimes she needed to be picky. An average teen that loves horrifying things was the worst, as Emily needed to feed on fear, and that kind of teenager was unlikely to get scared of a being such as her. Therefore, the very young and the very old were needed, but that digresses.

As she walked, Emily noticed there was a diner to her left. Why not go in and get a coffee, she figured. Food and drink usually made her feel sick, but for some odd reason, coffee was the exception. Anywho, she turned, went inside, and looked around, though there was no need to. All diners looked the same to her.

"Well," Maime was saying as Emily, the topic of their discussion, walked into the diner. "Anyone who chooses to live in the town is cra-" She paused, looking from the sun-dried face of her customer, to a new, smoother face. So there was someone new in town, sure, but that didn't mean she was automatically a new resident. She could've been stopping for a rest, and decided to stay for a minute.

"Uh- hey!" Maime quickly regained herself, and stood from the booth. "Welcome to Donny's," she greeted with a bright smile. "Would you like a booth, table? You can sit at the bar if you like." Even if she was a stranger, this woman was a customer, and Maime was going to be a fine waitress, and make her temporary stay comfortable.

“I’m just gonna sit at the bar,” Emily went over to one of the many vacant seats, sat down, and smiled, “It’s crazy how exhausting moving into a new house can be. Spent most of the night arranging my stuff.” She complained, leaning on the counter while looking at Maime. Friendly and unsuspecting. However, as she was new and hadn’t gotten familiar with the inhabitants of the town, Emily would have to stick to the children for victims.

"I- oh.. so you're moving in? To this town? Coalbed?" It was an astonishing thing to hear. The thing about that town was that it's residents consisted of only generations from the same group of families. Someone in the town would get married, they'd all stay in the town, and slowly build from that. No one ever moved to the town on their own accord. Even then, there waa nothing there. She was certain that they weren't even on the map! Just a crumby gas station, her diner, a one-man police department, and an ever-expanding neighborhood. She was exaggerating though. They had schools, a mayor, some shops, and a tiny theater and scating ring, but when you've lived there all your life, they meant nothing..

"What made you make such a decision," she asked as she handed her a faded menu, the best one she could offer. "You getting married or something? Boyfriend invite you to stay?"

“No, I just had to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I got tired of having to hear about the latest celebrity scandal or someone doing some absurd thing in public.” Emily explained as she looked at the menu for a bit then set it down before brushing her hair out of her face, interlocking her fingers and resting her head on her hands. “Just some coffee, please.”

"Oh. I can understand that," Maime replied as she took her menu. She made her way behind the counter, and poured her customer a mug of coffee. "My name's Maime, by the way," she said before setting the mug down on the counter. "If you ever need a friend in this crumby town, I'll be it." She gave her a friendly smile. She was certain she would need help growing accustom to her new life. Maime would kill to even see the city, but this woman had grown tired of it, and wanted a simpler life.

While Maime was talking to the new girl, Old man Wells was staring her down. He was trying to gage if her reason was legit, and if it was, would she last a day in his town..

"Nice to meet ya. I'm Emily." She felt Wells' eyes burning into her but chose to ignore it as she picked up the coffee and took a sip. "You would not believe the kind of things people do in the city. Once, a woman released seventeen chickens into the street for no reason. Another time some guy created a tower of red plastic cups. It was actually pretty heartbreaking when it was brought down." Emily shuddered when she talked about the chickens.

"Wowie," Maime said in surprise. "It seema like you had quite a time back there, and you wanted a calmer life??" She leaned against the counter. "I hate to say it, but I feel like you'd have a better time back at the city." She turned her gaze out the window aa she spoke. "There's nothing here for you, or anyone. It's a dead space.."

"That's exactly why I came here. It may not be the case for others, but for me, living in a podunk town sounds just fine."

Maime smiled, and nodded. ''What a weird gal,' she thought to herself. She knew it was just her being bitter though. She didn't know this girl's story. She could've been just like her: A girl tired of living in her birthplace.
"You have any family back home," she asked as a customer came into the store. Another regular. She waved as he took a seat near Well. "Brother? Sister? Cousin?"

"A younger sister. She was pretty rambunctious when I left," Emily answered simply as she got another mouthful of coffee. She took a peek at Well, and let out an unheard 'hehe.' He looked like a grump to her, but possibly friendly just like Maime, and thus, just as likely fearful.

"Oh. How come she didn't come with you?" Maime stood from the counter, and walked over to greet the other customer. Mitch, another regular. He came by after his kids left on the school bus, and his wife was alseep at home. His factory shift didn't start for another hour or so. "I'll get those eggs for you," she said before returning behind the counter to the stove. She began prepping a bowl of beaten eggs before she turned back to Emily. "You two were close I hope," she said as she stirred the eggs. "You two just wanted different lives?"

Well glared towards Emily, but he turned to speak with his friend. He also noticed that Emily was new. It wouldn't be long before she became the talk of the town. He would be surprised if he found her face on the paper.

"That and our mother found a man. Plus she couldn't take care of my sister alone, so I asked myself 'Would I be able to take care of her?' and decided I wouldn't be able to." She sighed and looked out the window. The town was nice. It was a shame she needed to kill the people who lived in it, but due to a few mess-ups, Emily was fear deprived, and if she took her time on harvesting, she would disappear. Coming out of her thoughts, she finally added, "Oh, and we were very close."

Last edited:
"Jesus.. I-I'm so sorry.." She shook her head sadly, and turned to tend to the frying eggs. "Well.. I hope you can find a better life here," she said looking over her shoulder. "You don't have to worry about any of that here, we take what we can get and hold onto it tight." I chuckled, and Mitch laughed along with me.

"Don't lie to her like that Mam," he said before taking a seat by Emily. "Some folk here scrounge, 'n bounce. You gotta be careful 'bout them." He looked towards Emily, and held up scarred hand. "The name's Mitchell Green. How are you enjoying Coalbed so far?" Maime scooped the cheesy eggs from the pan, and slapped them on a plate along with 2 lightly toasted slices of bread. "Don't be bothering her," Maime warned as she slid him his plate of food. He waved her off with a smile as he continued to talk. "If ya need any help with moving or gettin' settled in, me 'n my boys can come help ya out."

"It's fine." Emily shook his hand, smiling, "From the looks of it, I'll really like being here." Once she let go of Mitch's hand, she drained the last of the coffee, pulled out her wallet, paid for the coffee, and slipped out of her seat, "Well, I should get home and finish unpacking. It was nice meeting you two!" It was indeed true that she needed to finish unpacking, so she waved and left the diner, looking around while she walked back to her house. Once she got home and done what she needed, all she would need to do was wait for dusk and look for lost kids.

"She was nice," Maime said with a smile as she picked up the empty mug to clean it. "Damn- did I offer her some food? I should've offered her some food!" Maime slapped herself. "What kind of friend doesn't give food??"

Wells spat from where he sat and stood to his feet, his rickety legs shaking. "From the looks of it, that girl ain't gon want no food ya give 'er." He limped over to the counter, and tossed a few crumpled up bills on the counter. "She's as thin assa twig, 'n pale as my left eye."
Instinctively, Maime glanced at his left eye which was a dull blue. She then looked to his right eye which lacked any features at all. It was just a cloudy white orb. She shook her head. "Sure Wells," she said before taking the money. "You have a good one." She waved to him as he limped out of the store, and moved to pick up Mitchell's empty plate as he stood from his chair. "Have a good one," he said before heading off to work, leaving Maime to tend any incoming customers and staff.

The school bell rang, signaling the dismissal of the young students attending. Young children poured out the front doors, and down the school steps. Some ran towards rumbling trucks and cars, others towards idle buses. A few groups of older children kept toward the side walks as they made their way towards their homes.

Emily had finished emptying the boxes and arranging her things, but she wasn't going to use the bed or read the books she had. No, instead she had a hunger to sate. She looked out the window by her front door, then left the house and navigated her way to the school, remaining just a bit away, and walked around idly while she waited for an opportunity.

A pair of children slowly made their way along the sidewalk. They casually chatted as one bounced a ball as they were walking.
"Miss Conner is not going to let you go of you keep screwing up," the younger one was saying. He was wearing a large yellow shirt with a goofy face on the front and baggy pants. His friend was taller, and wearing a red jersey and jeans. Compared to thw younger one, he seemed much more athletic, and able to outrun an average adult, but Emily could notice the slight limp in his walk, and one of his pant legs rolled up slightly, reveling a bandaged ankle.

Emily grinned with malice as she saw this. After looking around for any people besides her and the two kids, she turned into a dog and raced towards them, feigning excitement with gleeful barks and jumping on the younger child.

Back