Would You Watch a Movie That Had No Trailer?

Bygones

Moonchild
What if a movie came out and there was no trailer, no previews, no description, no genre and no cast list given before watching? All you are given is the movies title and a cover, though the cover does not include faces or people entailing who might be in it either, the cover only shows an image or art of the basis of the film.

For Example:

No365 My 2010 Minimal Movie Poster Digital Art by Chungkong Art

Would you still watch it? Just to find out? Just out of curiosity?

I know for one that when I go to watch movies, I always watch a trailer before deciding if it's worth watching or not. And I always check to see who the cast is, because I am more inclined to watch it if it has an actor/actress that I like in it. And of course, you usually search through genres to find exactly what kind of movie you want to watch, whether you're feeling in the mood for a RomCom, Thriller, Horror, Comedy, etc. There is always a list of categories to go through to find the one you're looking for. But, what if you couldn't do any of those things? What if a movie was presented to you with just a cover and a title? Would you immediately skip over it? Would you start to watch the first few minutes to get an idea of what it is? And maybe, would you prefer if all movies were like this-- to give us a sense of curiosity and wonder, and would that make us more inclined to watch these movies?

I ask this because the film industry likes to reel us into watching their movies by giving an all star cast, and if you are familiar with Marvel movies, you know that they like to use covers

Like this
Guardians Of The Galaxy Movie Poster Mini Poster 28cmx43cm: Amazon ...

Opposed to this
SDCC 2014: Exclusive Mondo Poster Debut for Guardians of the ...

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your opinion!​

It honestly depends how I feel about the piece. For the one, the title has to catch my attention and meet my interests. And then there's that art cover concept. Art can speak to the viewers in many ways, whether it be plain and simple or colorful and abstract. It doesn't even have to be beautiful, or a masterpiece. It just has to tell me what the story/movie is about, and if I like it, by all means I'll give it a chance. I seen movies with exceptional trailers, yet they are dull and boring. Art is actually an interesting way to entice a person, and in my opinion, it is underrated.

As long as it has a nice cover front and a good title, im already halfway through the movie with meh popcorn

It's really interesting and for a movie franchise I know I love I wouldn't care about the trailer or poster. Seriously GoG is gonna be watched no matter what. The first one I think it would depend on how I came across the trailer, and I would still like to read a blurb to tell me what it is about. But overall, yes I think I would watch a movie that had no fancy trailer.

If I liked the design of the movie poster enough, I would definitely see the movie! Usually, I don’t actively seek out movie trailers or cast information, so whatever I know about a movie beforehand is based on my interest in the franchise or whether or not I saw an ad for it on YouTube, so not having very much information prior to seeing the movie wouldn’t bother me very much!

(That alternate poster for GotG is really cool! I know that movies like to do the ‘slap all the famous people on there’ thing, but man, does that poster look rad!)

Back