Adventures by Moonlight

Alissa Ming

Wandering Storyteller
It is raining, and dark. The middle of the night, no moon to be seen when the cloaked figure enters the bar and slips into a booth in the shadows. The figure's exact details cannot be seen, due to the hood over their head, but for those with keen vision there are two bumps near the top of their head. They are light skinned, almost pale, and some black hair can be seen. In the depths of the cloak, if one were to look close, one might see eyes silver as the moon. The tavern keeper comes over, as if to get the stranger's order, then recoils, and coldly says, "Get out."

Aruna's smile spread across her pale rose lip as she spotted the tavern. Damn am I hungry and could use a drink. She thought to herself, pulling her hooded dark violet trench coat close and lowering her head as the wind picked up a bit smelling of a brutal storm on its way. A few stray strands of copper flutter from under the hood at the wind's demand. Aruna pays them no mind as she walks, head low to keep her hood over her face some. Walking in, she raises her head slowly to scan the room with her yellow topaz and dark amber speckled eyes that hid under the hood's brim. A medium silver dream catcher pendant with yellow and blue topaz beads with black and blue feather dangled in front of her chest. Her stomach's protest of the numerous smells was barely noticed due the volume in the tavern. She knew they were a strong mix, but she was hungry and she was damned if she'd leave hungry. She frowned, it was quite a bit busier and there were barely seats except at the bar itself. Her least favorite place to be. She sighed and walked to the nearest stool. Raising a lightly tanned hand clothed in a suede fingerless dark violet glove to get the tender or bar wench's attention for service. She lowered it at the sound of someone being told to get out, not very polite establishment. Maybe they are too intoxicated though or are bad for business themselves. her thought trailed as she turned slightly on her stool to see the commotion.

OC: Sorry it took me so long, it has been crazy lately. And now we are moving this month, so between my 2 jobs and moving i will do what I can to keep this rp going. :) it is off to an interesting start.

OC: Yes, yes it is. And no need to apologize, I understand completely. Just respond whenever you can.

"I'm not bothering anyone." Said a clearly female voice. "I just came in to get out of the rain."
"Look, just go. You and your kind aren't welcome here. And I doubt you'll find welcome anywhere else, Nightshade."
The woman sighs in obvious annoyance, but doesn't challenge him, she's clearly used to the treatment. She stands slowly, as if to leave.

OC: I'm not telling a specific story, outside some basic character building for the main character that I'm currently using. I am interested to see where this goes, though.

She raises a brow under her hood and sighs. She gives up, obviously he must be in charge and he is more interested in scaring off business than keeping it. She slides off the bar and stares to the bartender a moment.

"You must being doing pretty well for a business to turn down business of any kind. I am not exactly in to establishments who chose favorites. I think I'll take my money elsewhere." She called to the bartender, her voice audibly challenging him in tone despite the sweet nature of the voice, the tone was cold, hard, and challenging.

She doesn't even given him a chance to respond as she begins for the door, flipping him off with the lightly tanned middle finger of her left hand. She smirks and proceeds to walk out the door. She didn't much care for any particular person who held favorites over race, religion, etc. She was free spirited and a roamer, just part of her nature. She hated the idea of tying down.

OC: Its cool same with what I am doing with her. I am off work and I will banter back n forth tonight for a bit as I pack lol. I don't have much stuff to pack stuff in, so, it won't be a long packing session. mainly after my valuables first of all things.

Once Aya reaches outside, she turns to the other woman. "You didn't have to do that. Walk out, I mean. It's a cold, wet night, after all."

OC: Sounds good. Where as I'm liberally abusing my time at work. Well, when there's nothing going on, anyway.

oc: lol yea, I don't have that luxury work from home call centers don't normally go dead for long.

She paused after closing the door and turned to the woman and shrugged.

"Wasn't for you in all honesty. I hate pig headed racist bastards honestly. No point to the hate for crying out loud, we all gotta live on this planet whether we like each other or not, so why make it miserable? No?" She asked pausing, her voice unchallenging and gentle. "Besides, rain don't bother me much."

She pulled the coat close and buttoned it down from the 2 button just at her breast down to mid thigh where the buttons stopped. She stood back up, a few more copper strands falling free of the hood, a soft smirk playing on her pale lips.

"On another note, Know of any other places to grab a drink and a meal?" She asked softly.

"Not anywhere that would accept the likes of me. Sorry. You're going to quickly run out of places to go spend money if you march out of every place that doesn't accept a Nightshade. Though it's not a race thing. We're generally considered bad luck. Most wouldn't end up close enough to really notice, but most tavern keepers won't take that chance. Besides, it could have gotten much, much worse than it did." She chortles darkly. "That said, there are a couple of bars nearby. But this town is probably just hoping I'll leave. Anyway, enough moping. My name's Aya."

The upward curve of her lips turned down into a frown of disapproval. She shook her head gently side to side in disappointment.

"Well, they must do pretty good for themselves if they can be choosy about their business. I have never heard of Nightshade. But hell, if hell themselves can be allowed into places, then why not Nightshade?" She shrugged and blew up a stray strand of copper that had fallen across her eyes. "Aruna, I am not from here. Hell, not really from anywhere honestly. I am a wanderer. I claim no home, do the occasional odd job and call it good. I could use a meal, but if anything is there a good store around, I can just buy stuff for sandwiches or even meal stuff. I can cook a mean beef stew. And I am sure the woods never complain about its inhabitants." She said a playful smirk and tone creeping into her voice.

"Like I said, not a race thing. And I could be letting my personal experiences get in the way. It's not like I've tried every bar here. I'm not the only existing race that can produce them. Nightshades aren't a race, though with how we're considered, I suppose we may as well be. From what I can gather from those few that I've been able to convince to speak to me, 'Nightshade' is a term used for those who look like a fallen goddess, whose name was Kita Nightshade. I don't know if that's actually true, though." Then Aya laughed, in true amusement, "But yes, the woods don't complain. If you want, I can try to find a dry spot to camp. Like a cave or something, with any real luck."

Last edited:
OOC: If they do end up going to more taverns, we can swap on who decides if they're welcomed or not. Like I said, I'm not really going for any one story. So we can have some fun with this, whatever we do. BTW, hope you don't mind if I intro some other characters. You're free too do so as well, as long as the two of us don't go overboard, and lose track of them all. :)

She smiled genuinely to Aya with a soft part to her lips and nodded. "Point me in the way of the butcher shop and general goods place and I will go get the stuff while you hunt for a place in the woods." She paused. "Don't worry...I will have no problem finding you. Keen senses can be good for something sometimes."

She stretched a lil, her hood falling off her head onto her back. A pair of yellow topaz with dark amber speckles upturned eyes stared at her, amusement in them. A pair of slightly point ears' tips peaked through playfully from silky waves of copper haphazardly thrown in a ponytail on her shoulder. Lightly tanned skin with a few faint freckles danced over her cheek bones clothed her heart shapes head, her bangs attempting to flee from the ponytail draped over a intelligent brow line that gravitated over a Grecian nose. With grace of a gloved hand she brought it back over her head as she resumed a normal stance after her stretch.

Aya returns the favor, bringing down her hood. Seen after the fact are two wolf ears, her midnight black hair cut short, dual blade hilts, and her eyes are silver. Though she's clearly wary. "I know all about heightened senses. I'll use mine to find us just the place. Um...Let's see, I've only been here once or twice, unfortunately, but if memory serves, they are not too far apart. They should be...that way." Gestures the direction. "I supposed," She grins evilly, "That if you get lost, you can always ask that ever so helpful tavern keeper."

She looked Aya up and down briefly, taking in her appearance but seemed completely unphased by what she saw. She smiled softly at her tease.

"Fat chance on that one, I'd rather sniff skunk than ask that man for directions." She said teasingly, before sticking her tongue out slightly in a teasing fashion before laughing.

At that she sighed and gathered herself heading in the direction Aya had directed her.

OOC: Hey gotta work in the am, so ttyl.go ahead and post and i'll get to it tomorrow sometime.

Aya grinned, obviously relieved at the other's reaction, it's clearly not one she's used to receiving. She looks for a cave big enough for too people as well as some dry firewood. She manages to find a place and get a decent fire started.

OOC: Sounds good. As long as you respond as you have the chance, I'm happy. I understand being busy very well.

She got to the butcher shop and ordered some dried jerky, 1lb of beef and a 1/2lb of bacon from the butcher. After stopping there she wandered across a fresh vegetable stall and grabbed some potatoes, celery, an onion, and some carrots for the stew. After that she finally found the general goods shop and purchased a flint and steel, a new backpack, a small copper kettle with to matching copper mugs, and grabbed some dried spices plus one extra thing she found may be useful. After that, with her pack full and a muslin sack half full of fresh vegetables and meats she went in search of Aya.

The town made it only a margin more tedious to track down her scent than it would have anywhere else with all the distracting smells. Once she hit the woods, she caught Aya's scent with ease and in a short time arrived at the cave.

"Honey, I'm home!" She hollered into the cave playfully as she walked in with her goods.

"You just think you're so funny, don't you?" Asked Aya, smiling a little. "As you can see, I even managed a fire. Though how, I don't think I'll ever truly know." Her ears quirked, comically as she said that.

She smirked and playfully stuck her tongue out. This was just how Aruna was, she was fun loving and free spirited. The only thing ever truly gave her pause to stand her ground aggressively has been the threat of being restrained or imprisoned. She knew she wouldn't be good at a captive life.

"I get ya smiling don't I?" She smirks a hint of playful deviance in her eyes. "Come on, lighten up a bit Aya. You did good. Take it for what it is. Anyway, stew will take some time, so I bought some jerky to munch on for a bit while I cook the stew. Also -" She paused tossing Aya a pack. "Bought you a pack with a few things in it. Go ahead, have a look."

Inside the pack was a package of elven weybread, jerky, flint and steel, a small food knife with a sheath over the blade, and a small steel mirror.

Aruna, slid her pack off her back and set the sack of vegetables down. She pulled from the pack an old copper pot that had definitely been used for camp cooking, a copper kettle with mugs, 2 copper bowls and 2 wooden eating spoons and a wooden ladle. She poured some water out her waterskin into the pot and began cutting up the meat to throwing it in the pot as she got it cut up. as she worked she hummed softly, a merry melody brought to life with her sweet voice.

"I guess so. Which is probably a good thing." As Aya looked through the things, her eyes lit. "Thank you. You really didn't have to. Though I will admit as strange as it is to have found someone so kind, it's actually rather nice too." Then, as Aruna began to hum, Aya's ears cocked appreciatively, then Aya said, "You have a good voice. And you have a point. Taking life as it comes is typically a good idea."

She smiled as Aya expressed her appreciation towards Aruna. The smile extended into her intelligent eyes as as Aya complimented her voice as she paused a moment to look up to Aya. She could tell she really was not used to people being nice by her general reaction. She could tell the girl was pretty surprised by her actions to just toss her the gifts with no reason but just doing so. She continued her work, continuing to hum again since Aya enjoyed the sound of her voice.

She finished up the prep work and began adding more into the pot, leaving the skins on the potatoes, only removing a few blemishes here and there from them as she cut them straight into the water. After a few, she finished adding the remaining ingredients. She stirred the ingredients for a few before setting the lid on the pot and setting the spoon in one of the bowl to keep it from touching the ground.

"So, Aya...why stay if you are not wanted or appreciated?" The question was level and a note of curiosity seemed to flicker in her tone.

Back