I have an outline for my character; however, he does not follow the ways of traditional earthbenders. Will that be ok?

I posted what I currently have of my character! The history and personality are still not done yet, but most of it is there. If I need to change anything please let me know!

I posted what I currently have of my character! The history and personality are still not done yet, but most of it is there. If I need to change anything please let me know!

I like what you have of your character so far! They seem to be an interesting character and I look forward to seeing them when they're finished.

I had a question, how did Zolan find out he was the Avatar and how many people know that he is?

Last edited:
I had a question, how did Zolan find out he was the Avatar and how many people know that he is?

As of right now, Zolan has no idea he's the Avatar. He just thinks he's a Firebender and that's all. There are rumors that the Avatar was born into the Fire Nation, which was one reason a general came to his house, to take him to not only draft him off to war due to his bending but to see if he's the Avatar.

I'm thinking that- Zolan would save someone that's in trouble. Fully expecting fire to come out, but a different element shows itself. He'd have no idea how in the world it happened, it just did as he went to protect someone that was in trouble. And then rumors were spread of course and then probably a lot of people then would know he's the Avatar.

I'm thinking that- if we're going to be traveling to Ba Sing Se, think we agreed on this didn't we?, tthe first element to show itself would be Earth. Zolan could try to find a teacher there and that happens or he doesn't and has to travel elsewhere to find one. I'm thinking element order would go like this.

-Fire
-Earth
-Water
-Air

Though might flip Water and Air around. Water will be the hardest for him to learn since it's the opposite of Fire, but he'll get it sooner or later. He still needs to master Firebending as well, since he had no one to teach him that and he had to go about it on his own. So really, he's truly got to master all the elements here.

One thing that Sanity and I were talking about in PMs was that Zolan would also have Engerybending due to being the Avatar and could help his friends be able to learn another element through it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that- if we're going to be traveling to Ba Sing Se, think we agreed on this didn't we?, tthe first element to show itself would be Earth. Zolan could try to find a teacher there and that happens or he doesn't and has to travel elsewhere to find one. I'm thinking element order would go like this.

-Fire
-Earth
-Water
-Air

Though might flip Water and Air around. Water will be the hardest for him to learn since it's the opposite of Fire, but he'll get it sooner or later. He still needs to master Firebending as well, since he had no one to teach him that and he had to go about it on his own. So really, he's truly got to master all the elements here.

One thing that Sanity and I were talking about in PMs was that Zolan would also have Engerybending due to being the Avatar and could help his friends be able to learn another element through it.

I think that element order makes sense, though I feel that Wei would hold off on teaching him Airbending because of their mixed feelings on their element as well as how different the ideology is between Fire and Air. I could see them saying something like "Though Air is the element of freedom, it's not the element of impulse. To truly master it you need the stability of Earth and the flexibility of Water." Either way, the important part will be convincing Wei to teach him in the first place!

I'm also trying to think of how the gang would meet. In the original series Aang began with Sokka and Katara, but gained more allies (and teachers) in Books 2 and 3. Perhaps Wei could meet up with Team Avatar later in the RP? I remember your post about how Zolan could discover that he's the Avatar after attempting to save someone and bending the wrong element (maybe Earth?). I think that could be a good meeting spot for the two of them.

I think Energybending (and spirit world in general) would be good explore and potentially master. If word got out that he could spirit bend/take away people's ability then every nation would attempt to try and curry his favor or capture him.

I think that element order makes sense, though I feel that Wei would hold off on teaching him Airbending because of their mixed feelings on their element as well as how different the ideology is between Fire and Air. I could see them saying something like "Though Air is the element of freedom, it's not the element of impulse. To truly master it you need the stability of Earth and the flexibility of Water." Either way, the important part will be convincing Wei to teach him in the first place!

I'm also trying to think of how the gang would meet. In the original series Aang began with Sokka and Katara, but gained more allies (and teachers) in Books 2 and 3. Perhaps Wei could meet up with Team Avatar later in the RP? I remember your post about how Zolan could discover that he's the Avatar after attempting to save someone and bending the wrong element (maybe Earth?). I think that could be a good meeting spot for the two of them.

I think Energybending (and spirit world in general) would be good explore and potentially master. If word got out that he could spirit bend/take away people's ability then every nation would attempt to try and curry his favor or capture him.

That would make sense for Wei to say something like that as well as to make sense to master the other elements before tackling trying to learn Air. He'd try his best to convince them to teach him, even if he has to wait a bit before he can learn Air from them.

This is true. Rae and I spoke about having Mei and Zolan meet each other in the forest before they'd head to Ba Sing Se when it was just the two of us before others joined. This can always be changed of course to where everyone's in Ba Sing Se and one thing leads to another, and welp, plot time. XD I was thinking Earth would be the first element to be unlocked. Just a wall of stone appearing in front of someone to protect them, him having no idea how in the world he did it, it just happened. If you want Wei to come in later, that's also fine. Considering Air would be so far down the line, you could make another character be part of the story sooner if we don't go with the idea of everyone being in Ba Sing Se already. Even then, Wei can be on the fence about teaching him and telling Zolan that before he learns Air, he must master Earth and Water first. Not to mention Fire still. He only knows the basics of that since he had no teachers and had to train himself, much like Katara did.

This 13-year-old has it cut out for him. huh? XD But yeah, I think that would be an interesting thing to tackle as the story goes on. Yet another reason for people to come after Team Avatar. That said, we should probably make some villains for these guys to encounter on their travels.

That would make sense for Wei to say something like that as well as to make sense to master the other elements before tackling trying to learn Air. He'd try his best to convince them to teach him, even if he has to wait a bit before he can learn Air from them.

This is true. Rae and I spoke about having Mei and Zolan meet each other in the forest before they'd head to Ba Sing Se when it was just the two of us before others joined. This can always be changed of course to where everyone's in Ba Sing Se and one thing leads to another, and welp, plot time. XD I was thinking Earth would be the first element to be unlocked. Just a wall of stone appearing in front of someone to protect them, him having no idea how in the world he did it, it just happened. If you want Wei to come in later, that's also fine. Considering Air would be so far down the line, you could make another character be part of the story sooner if we don't go with the idea of everyone being in Ba Sing Se already. Even then, Wei can be on the fence about teaching him and telling Zolan that before he learns Air, he must master Earth and Water first. Not to mention Fire still. He only knows the basics of that since he had no teachers and had to train himself, much like Katara did.

This 13-year-old has it cut out for him. huh? XD But yeah, I think that would be an interesting thing to tackle as the story goes on. Yet another reason for people to come after Team Avatar. That said, we should probably make some villains for these guys to encounter on their travels.

I don't know if I want to make another character to travel with them per se but consider this: what if Wei witnesses Zolan earthbend and decides to tail him (and whoever might be with him) for a bit. Once it's verified that Zola is the Avatar (or he realizes that they've been following him), they could have a talk. While Wei will hold off on teaching Airbending no matter what, I think Zolan could convince Wei to stick around and at least train him in combat/weapons to protect himself.

Also I'd be down to make a villain for later in the story, perhaps one that comes post-war or close to the final confrontation. I have two ideas for this and you can let me know which might be better or suggest tweaks.

With everything that has happened, I'm sure there would be huge tension between benders and no benders. Neither of them had any meaningful control in the forever war. Benders would resent being used as weapons while nonbenders wouldn't be conscripted as frequently (this can change depending on the region and faction) and nonbenders have no way of fighting back during invasions and simply die when they are in battle.

1. The villain in question would be a separatist, calling for Benders to create their own society free from the chains of the war. They would see nonbenders as inferior want to kick them out of whatever area that the arc would take place in during that time. The stipulation to this, of course, is that the villain secretly just wants to round up all the benders on the world to create his army and take over the land.

2. Something similar to the Equalist party in Korra, this villain would use the many atrocities committed during the war as justification for why bending should be disallowed. Only by outlawing or eradicating bending would equalize the playing field among benders and nonbenders and would keep the world from going out of balance. They would use primarily chi blocking to fight against Team Avatar (and others) and I think that it would be a cool reveal to have the leader be a spirit bender (focused on taking away people's bending).

I don't know if I want to make another character to travel with them per se but consider this: what if Wei witnesses Zolan earthbend and decides to tail him (and whoever might be with him) for a bit. Once it's verified that Zola is the Avatar (or he realizes that they've been following him), they could have a talk. While Wei will hold off on teaching Airbending no matter what, I think Zolan could convince Wei to stick around and at least train him in combat/weapons to protect himself.

Also I'd be down to make a villain for later in the story, perhaps one that comes post-war or close to the final confrontation. I have two ideas for this and you can let me know which might be better or suggest tweaks.

With everything that has happened, I'm sure there would be huge tension between benders and no benders. Neither of them had any meaningful control in the forever war. Benders would resent being used as weapons while nonbenders wouldn't be conscripted as frequently (this can change depending on the region and faction) and nonbenders have no way of fighting back during invasions and simply die when they are in battle.

1. The villain in question would be a separatist, calling for Benders to create their own society free from the chains of the war. They would see nonbenders as inferior want to kick them out of whatever area that the arc would take place in during that time. The stipulation to this, of course, is that the villain secretly just wants to round up all the benders on the world to create his army and take over the land.

2. Something similar to the Equalist party in Korra, this villain would use the many atrocities committed during the war as justification for why bending should be disallowed. Only by outlawing or eradicating bending would equalize the playing field among benders and nonbenders and would keep the world from going out of balance. They would use primarily chi blocking to fight against Team Avatar (and others) and I think that it would be a cool reveal to have the leader be a spirit bender (focused on taking away people's bending).

Zolan would do his best to get Wei to stick around with them for awhile and while he'd hold off on teaching him Airbending, he'd try to convince him to at least teach him other ways of defending himself and others.

Man, why must you give me such hard choices? I like both and honest, I'd love to do them both in the story.

Back