I’m open to ideas if Mei would have known @KrultySenpai character shen before hand if that’s what you are wanting if we want to all brain storm an idea for the before hand aspect if that’s what I’m understand from the conversation between you and @Neko !

I’m open to ideas if Mei would have known @KrultySenpai character shen before hand if that’s what you are wanting if we want to all brain storm an idea for the before hand aspect if that’s what I’m understand from the conversation between you and @Neko !

Thank you very much. I'll pull up the map from 500 years ago. For almost two years, Shen traveled through the Earth Kingdom and outside (mostly the fire nation) selling beautiful clay art. The meeting can take place anywhere for a brief moment or longer amount of time.

Is there any specific time during Mei's past that they could've met? Any special memories that Shen could be a part of (even just for an instance)?

I could say the best time would be that Mei met him around the age of 14 because she had left home to the earth kingdom to find herbal remedies to help her grandma who was ill around the time. She discovered his art while she was in the market. They could’ve briefly spoken during this time about each other’s family.. and she even got a piece of his clay art that he specifically created that she got to cheer her Grandmother up that he may have suggested, and she actually carried around with her, as it was a momento.
I’m open to more ideas from around that ago.

@KrultySenpai , she could have even gotten lost on her way to the earth kingdom and they could’ve met that way since she had never traveled outside her village before and was following directions she received from people she passed by.

Amazing ideas, thank you.

Events
  • Four years ago, Mei met Shen at a marketplace.
  • They talked about their families.
  • Mei receives a gift to cheer up her grandmother (I love this part).

Questions
Where did they meet? Was it Ba Sing Se? What about one of the harbors along the edge of the kingdom?

How ill was her grandmother at the time?

Focus

I love the idea that Mei receives a gift to cheer up her grandmother.
Does her grandmother like flowers? They could be impressed onto a pendant, charm, etc.
What about ceramic animals? Maybe one based on the grandmother's spirit animal.
Gems are expensive and rare for Shen and his family. What if Shen took a small piece of amethyst from his necklace (one of the most important objects in his life) and added it to the gift? Here is a result of a short search for the symbolism of amethyst.

View attachment 10035

What about other types of gems?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, it is possible that they meet while she was lost and needed direction. At the moment, I don't have many ideas for that one. Maybe they could travel together for a short while with Shen being her guide. Is there any specific location she is looking for? Or he could direct her to the most well-known area to buy herbal remedies.

Amazing ideas, thank you.

Events
  • Four years ago, Mei met Shen at a marketplace.
  • They talked about their families.
  • Mei receives a gift to cheer up her grandmother (I love this part).

Questions
Where did they meet? Was it Ba Sing Se? What about one of the harbors along the edge of the kingdom?

How ill was her grandmother at the time?

Focus

I love the idea that Mei receives a gift to cheer up her grandmother.
Does her grandmother like flowers? They could be impressed onto a pendant, charm, etc.
What about ceramic animals? Maybe one based on the grandmother's spirit animal.
Gems are expensive and rare for Shen and his family. What if Shen took a small piece of amethyst from his necklace (one of the most important objects in his life) and added it to the gift? Here is a result of a short search for the symbolism of amethyst.

View attachment 10035

What about other types of gems?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, it is possible that they meet while she was lost and needed direction. At the moment, I don't have many ideas for that one. Maybe they could travel together for a short while with Shen being her guide. Is there any specific location she is looking for? Or he could direct her to the most well-known area to buy herbal remedies.

Q & A ~

I would say that it could relate to the idea of Shen becoming her guide to Ba Sing Se as that could be where most merchants go since how vast and diverse the city would be before the war and the recruitment began.

Her grandmother had caught a high fever that many healers in her village were not able to find any remedy for, and wanting to keep hope of at least soothing her grandmother, Mei wanted to locate a remedy for this, maybe even a tea. Although she didn’t want to admit it, nor would she possible admit to Shen, her grandmother was close to dying and was in pain.

As for what her grandmother liked.. her grandmother into gardening and was caring and specifically liked white madonna lilies which she managed to grow within their hut even during the coldness of their village. So I would say this would have been nice gift as the pendant could be something Mei grew up as keeping once the grandmother passed away since she didn’t know how to care for her grandmother’s favorite flowers once she was taken away from the recruiting during her older years so it could be the piece that Shen could recognize once they cross paths again.

I also like the idea of him wanting to cheer even Mei with the stone, which she promised to return once her grandmother had gotten better.

(didn’t realize how long this post was, but I hope I could answer some of your questions and help some haha.)

Q & A ~

I would say that it could relate to the idea of Shen becoming her guide to Ba Sing Se as that could be where most merchants go since how vast and diverse the city would be before the war and the recruitment began.

Her grandmother had caught a high fever that many healers in her village were not able to find any remedy for, and wanting to keep hope of at least soothing her grandmother, Mei wanted to locate a remedy for this, maybe even a tea. Although she didn’t want to admit it, nor would she possible admit to Shen, her grandmother was close to dying and was in pain (1).

As for what her grandmother liked.. her grandmother into gardening and was caring and specifically liked white madonna lilies which she managed to grow within their hut even during the coldness of their village. So I would say this would have been nice gift as the pendant could be something Mei grew up as keeping once the grandmother passed away since she didn’t know how to care for her grandmother’s favorite flowers once she was taken away from the recruiting during her older years so it could be the piece that Shen could recognize once they cross paths again.

I also like the idea of him wanting to cheer even Mei with the stone, which she promised to return once her grandmother had gotten better.

(didn’t realize how long this post was, but I hope I could answer some of your questions and help some haha.)

I see. Actually, I am starting to lean towards the meeting taking place outside of Ba Sing Se. There are many opportunities for character development over the days of traveling to Ba Sing Se. Maybe 75 miles from Ba Sing Se (straight line), and takes four to five days to cover on foot (for a total of around 100 miles). During the brief period together, they can learn more about each other. And Shen can make a pendant with a white lily flower which he can add a very small piece of amethyst (maybe to the stigma of the flower; just enough that the purple doesn't show through and appears lightly pink). Should Shen make the pendant together with Mei or alone and present it as a surprise?

For Shen's approach to the topic of Mei's ill grandmother. Should there be a moment during the beginning when Shen is somewhat tactless and ask the wrong thing about (1)? Or, for the most part, just exchange happier memories and keep a positive tone?

I see. Actually, I am starting to lean towards the meeting taking place outside of Ba Sing Se. There are many opportunities for character development over the days of traveling to Ba Sing Se. Maybe 75 miles from Ba Sing Se (straight line), and takes four to five days to cover on foot (for a total of around 100 miles). During the brief period together, they can learn more about each other. And Shen can make a pendant with a white lily flower which he can add a very small piece of amethyst (maybe to the stigma of the flower; just enough that the purple doesn't show through and appears lightly pink). Should Shen make the pendant together with Mei or alone and present it as a surprise?

For Shen's approach to the topic of Mei's ill grandmother. Should there be a moment during the beginning when Shen is somewhat tactless and ask the wrong thing about (1)? Or, for the most part, just exchange happier memories and keep a positive tone?
I actually like that a lot more, about them meeting out of the city. So I’m good with your idea because it would create alot of character development between the two. As for the gift, I feel it should be a gift of a sort for Mei didn’t realize how capable and skillful he was at the time with his clay work besides the work he may have already shown her. Especially since he would add a little part of himself within his work.
For the topic of Mei’s Grandmother, since they were both younger I think it makes sense that he may ask ask about the wrong thing about her grandmother, and considering Mei was pretty closed off at first about fully talking about her grandmother, this would probably help her character development of opening up and talking about her life a little more.
And it would give her ok the more reason to change the topic and ask about his family and background as well!

Last edited:
It was just an idea I was thinking of to continue the theme I had going. Considering there is a 500-year war going on, I could see people trying to find a way, should the Avatar ever actually return, to weaponize them, because if they have the most powerful person on their side, forcefully or not, they'd have a better chance at doing whatever their goal is.

Ye I get you and I'm not trying to shoot you down. At the same time I'm not sure how to justify it in universe. Outside of bending, spirits, and the spirit realm, there does not seem to be anything close to supernatural, which is to say that there is no magic, at least not Harry Potter or DnD style.

Technology-wise, how close id this world is to being able to infuse elements into objects or use objects to control people? It's 500 years since Aang's time, but much has the world advanced?

The Fire Nation was in the midst of an industrial revolution while the others were understandably less so. Is it like LoK where every nation has industrialized (or at the least, has the Fire Nation extended their technological advantage even more)? Has everything stayed the same? Or has the world found a way to modernize while retaining their connection to nature?

Ye I get you and I'm not trying to shoot you down. At the same time I'm not sure how to justify it in universe. Outside of bending, spirits, and the spirit realm, there does not seem to be anything close to supernatural, which is to say that there is no magic, at least not Harry Potter or DnD style.

Technology-wise, how close id this world is to being able to infuse elements into objects or use objects to control people? It's 500 years since Aang's time, but much has the world advanced?

The Fire Nation was in the midst of an industrial revolution while the others were understandably less so. Is it like LoK where every nation has industrialized (or at the least, has the Fire Nation extended their technological advantage even more)? Has everything stayed the same? Or has the world found a way to modernize while retaining their connection to nature?

I know, I was just trying to give more into my thought process when I was thinking of the idea. Though, I do see your point and where you're coming from. As I've said to Sanity through our PMs, I'd say it be a mixture of Aang's time and Korra's timeline. Though considering it's been even longer since then, 500 years, then things would have advanced further than what we probably saw in Korra. And while things would probably become more modernized, they would still retain their connection to nature, refusing to let that die even as the world changes around them.

Thank you very much. I really like what their meeting means for both of them. I think I am out of ideas to add to it for now.

I will be adding their meeting to the character sheet under the relationship section. I will send it to you via PM or post it here for review when I am done (though I will take my time with it).

New Focus
  • Geography: I am going to think about new sights that I can add to the trip.
  • Conversation: I have to think about the approach (structure of words, to be specific) for when Shen talks to Mei.
  • Art: I am going to design the pendant.
~~~~~~~~~

Rae, one last question for the future of the roleplay. What do you think about the idea that Shen breaks Mei's pendant in the future?

Thank you very much. I really like what their meeting means for both of them. I think I am out of ideas to add to it for now.

I will be adding their meeting to the character sheet under the relationship section. I will send it to you via PM or post it here for review when I am done (though I will take my time with it).

New Focus
  • Geography: I am going to think about new sights that I can add to the trip.
  • Conversation: I have to think about the approach (structure of words, to be specific) for when Shen talks to Mei.
  • Art: I am going to design the pendant.
~~~~~~~~~

Rae, one last question for the future of the roleplay. What do you think about the idea that Shen breaks Mei's pendant in the future?

Sounds good! I look forward to it! And take all the time you need! I like the character development that is building! :)

As for the pendant being broken, im all for it! I feel it will add a little bit of chaos into their relationship, hence Shen would have been the first person truly she trusted on speaking about her family and destroying the only thing she had left of her grandmother and a good memory she had of her childhood, that would truly be a turn for better or worst and could lead to the building of Shen’s arc that spoke to Neko about!

My PM is open if you want to discuss more or have anymore ideas you want to add to their relationship that they have and to help build with the story! I really enjoy this little bit of character development they will have!

Also, since it is formatted like a roleplay, it is hard to just write it down. I am going to start out with a list (with as many details as I can think of). Maybe we could even roleplay it out and summarize it under the character sheet from a separate POV?

Also, since it is formatted like a roleplay, it is hard to just write it down. I am going to start out with a list (with as many details as I can think of). Maybe we could even roleplay it out and summarize it under the character sheet from a separate POV?

I’m down to do that! Especially since we are waiting for the roleplay to truly start we have time to do that!

@KrultySenpai, as you I stated before, we can create a pm if you want or a separate thread to roleplay out that part of their development whenever you have your thoughts together about it! (I’m in no rush, especially since you have a lot of ideas for the pendant and planning the scenery for their short adventure) so just let me know. :3

I’m down to do that! Especially since we are waiting for the roleplay to truly start we have time to do that!

Sounds good. I will take my time with a list first then. ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ I'll pm you when I am ready. For now though, good night.

Back