AWE

Darkwing

Old Fashioned
Grey was falling. Fast. His arms and legs were tucked in like a bullet whizzing through the air. So he was falling on purpose? He tried to look at the surface of the planet he was about to fall on, but his burn of entering an atmosphere blinded him from his target. He tried to communicate with the others, but did not feel their link. Was he alone? No. He would have felt the others die, and there is no reason to split up... is there?
He was quite excited to be on this planet, the scans showed some delicious looking foods and at least a tribal-based society if not better and he was getting tired of looking at amoeba in chemical vats. He was first off the ship, and so he was first to land. He tried to turn on his thrusters but ended up doing several backflips and landing hard on a now very flattened bush. "Ow.... My everything..."He said, getting up and rubbing his back.
Someone else came to a soft stop next to him and turned off his thrusters. "I told you, minute adjustments. One wrong move and your leg goes back in orbit."
"Easier said then done! I am not the one who has years and years of practice!"
Another figure landed beside them with a thunderous 'boom' that shook the trees with the mere sound. As this newcomer rose from a crouched position a blue wave flowed from his fist and feet to his backpack.
"See?!? Green can do it!"
"Green is Green. He is a special case. Besides, he did not even use his thrusters!"
"Fine, then we let Pink resolve this."
As if on cue, a fourth person dropped from the heavens, slowing her decent only partially before tucking in and breaking the surface of the water, soaking the others in the resulting impact. "WEEEEE!" *Splash*
"Pink. I know I said we would be getting water, but you were not supposed to actually get IN it."
"Awww. What is the point of getting water if you are not going to get wet? C'mon Orange where is your sense of fun?"
"There was not enough left after it got split amongst you two idgits. I will be down the fall if you need me." And with that, he jumped down the side of the cliff, boosting every now and then to softly land once more at the base of a large waterfall filing into a lake.
The one called green let out a breath of laughter before walking over and jumping down to join up with orange. "So, did it work?"
"At least partially. After all, neither you or the ground are in a million pieces, so that is some progress. Hold on, my drone is picking up movement to our south. Warg sized. More intelligent though. Try to incapacitate it if it attacks, I want to know if it is part of the tribal system nearby."

Last edited:
Liz had seen thunder before many times in her life. Hell, she had caused it a few times herself. Still, it was a shock when the thunderous booms came one right after another so close to her, in the middle of a clear sunny day. Her pointed ears pinned back as the fourth one seemed to hit the river just at the top of the falls. Liz herself was hidden fairly well, all things considered. The jungle here was denser, untouched by fire or farms, or even other dragons. It was supposed to have been her little retreat to come back to between adventures, but now there were trespassers-

Very... strange... trespassers. They looked like humans, sort of. They walked the same. She didn't know that they could fly though. She stood up taller, a curious look on her face as she looked straight to the orange one. She would stand out of course, neon colours usually did against dark green leaves, but she didn't really care. They were new and exciting, she wanted to know what they were. She sprinted from the bush, stopping at the edge of the water and staring at the two again. "Hello?!"

Immediately Green turned and drew up his rifle, but Orange turned it down. "Why would it give up its element of surprise before attacking? That was to get our attention. Some form of greeting maybe?" He crouched down and inched forward a little bit. "Hello there.... Winged... dragon? Can you talk for a little more please?" He tried this last sentence in multiple different languages, watching intently for any change in behavior as form of understanding. {Can you talk a little more please?}
Meanwhile up at the top of the fall the unnamed one and Pink were building a small raft from various fallen materials. A quick test and they launched it off the shore of its birth and rode it down the fall, him engaging thrusters at the last second to slow its decent to a gentle splash. "Yay! My leg did not fly off!"
Orange did not look away from the dragon. "Little busy here blue."

Last edited:
The dragoness tilted her head at the creature's strange motions, and odd noises. She didn't understand anything he was saying at all. She trotted up to them on the shore, a quick, carefree gait. She stopped by their feet, looking up at them. They were bigger, but she doubted that they could do anything to hurt her. "You're quite odd looking animals. Where'd you come from?"

Orange animatedly but quietly celebrated. He checked his omnitool on his arm. 17%. He pointed to his lips and then to the dragon and wrapped his arms in a motion for her to continue.

"Hmm? What about your face?" She asked, eying each of them up and down. She moved forwards, encircling her long body around Orange until she was nearly nibbling at her own tail, all while taking in each and every detail. "You smell weird... Sort of like... Burning. You don't look burnt though."

84%. Close enough. He had enough faith in his translator to at least try. Orange nodded to the others and they warped back through time to when she asked her first question "We come from another world, another set of stars, even. Far, far away."
"Were adventurers!" Pink chimed in cheerfully, steering the raft over to them. "Though not by choice." Her head bowed and this sad thought. A moment to collect herself later and her positive demeanor returned. She got up and went over to the dragon, holding out her hand in greeting. "I am pink."

Last edited:
She blinked. They were not where... Nevermind. Maybe they were like her. She tilted her head back the other way and looked over the four. "Well that's pretty wild." She turned to pink as she greeted her, and reared up on her back legs to a more bipedal stance, even if her rump was still on the ground. She smiled and extended her hand to shake. Despite her feral appearance, her forepaws seemed built for manipulating just as well as a human's. "Well, nice to meet you Pink, I am Liz."

Thinking quick, her scales shifted colour to a bright hot pink. "And Now I am Pink too." She grinned cheekily and stuck her tongue out a little.

Liz: :p

"Oooooohhhh! Pretty! Wait I think I can do that too!" She held out her arm and gripped the base of her elbow with her other one, a tiny wave flowing through them before the outstretched arm turned a deep purple.
"Hey! That is camo not party tricks!"
"I am with Orange on this one. Save your energy for what might face us here."
"Yes dad. Okay mom." She said mockingly, tangibly rolling her nonexistent eyes before drawing her hand back and the arm returning to various shades of pink.
Blue was about to reply when Green came up and motioned for his silence, taking out a canteen and filling it. Blue turned to Orange who just gave a shrug before catching the canteen tossed by Green.

"Psh. There's nothing dangerous around here." Liz shifted to a bright green, and let go of Pink's hand, falling back to a dog-ish sitting position. She looked between the group again as she spoke. "Aside from a few panthers, but those are easy to take care of or avoid. Soo..." She turned back to pink. "Why are you here if you can go anywhere?"

Orange cleared his throat. "Not anywhere. I may be a scientific genius"
"CHome-plete with ego." Blue cough mocked.
He ignored this comment and continued. "But I am not a god of the machines. (Deus Ex Machina :D) The seeker does need time to recharge and so do we, meaning resources must be taken. And while mining asteroids would be more effective, Pink wanted to catalogue all the different plants, Blue wanted to save the various different sceneries, and Green wanted to study the various fighting forms of the civilizations we could come across, so here we are. And aren't there others like you? My scans reported structures."

"Well, yes, but not near here. The last village I saw was... Oh... That-a-way, and quite the flight. Not more than a half of a quarter-day's flight. And what's a scan?" She stepped towards Orange, walking around him and inspecting him from every angle. "You don't look like anything I've seen before, how do you fly without wings? And why do you smell so strange?"

Orange laughed a little. "You walking around me now is a scan. You are taking in details about me using your senses." He pulled out one of his beacons from his back and turned it on before plopping it down in front of him, moments later having a drone zip down and hover just above it. It was a sky blue sphere with dozens of small little cameras scanning and whirring away, all clinging together in what looked like a really strong formation. surrounding this sphere was a frame linked at the sides by a thick tether. On the frame were two things on each of their respective sides. On the top and bottom were fin-like thrusters that looked like they moved across pivots merged smoothly with the frame, the bottom one currently facing the ground being the only one on, giving the drone a light whirr. On the sides were two guns currently aimed opposite each other shaped like diamonds with tubes attached to the end. These tubes became split at the ends into two sharp points that looked like they could cut steel. "This does the same thing your eyes do, only better. And reports the data back to me. This thing right here making the noise is a thruster. It burns fuel like food and uses that energy to move away from whatever its facing, in this case the ground. We have similar ones on our hands and feet that also allow us to fly. And we probably smell funny because we are not made of flesh and bone like you, we are metal men."
"And women!"
Blue walked over and crouched down, pulling off his thumb and showing liz the wiring. "Machines. Like his drone." He put it back in place and another wave of energy obscured it from view for a few seconds, when disappearing revealing a fixed thumb. He wiggled it at her to show her this.

"Woah..." She trotted over to blue like an excited child. "You are... like... I don't even know!? Living windmills? Show me again!" Her tail waved back and forth behind her, excited energy that she couldn't contain. They were so wild! She wanted to see everything they could do. She wanted to travel with them and see all they saw. It was incredible!

The entire group burst into laughter, sending Orange into periods of time when his audio cut out (like moving to tears) "'Living Windmills' ahahahah... Ohhhhyoujustmademyday little dragon."
While Blue pulled off his hand and showed off the different wiring and mechanisms
Orange finally recovered and explained the difference. "Yes, but while a windmill uses wooden gears and cloth sails to gather a little amount of energy from a lot of wind, we use metal chips and lightning fast wiring to do stuff like walk talk and other things. We also use a little bit of sunlight to get a lot of energy, but we can technically use wind as well."
"Yeah but only over time did we make that gap. Go back far enough and we are little boxes that cook bread." He reattached his hand and the nanites took a few minutes to repair the damage before it was functional again.

She watched carefully, poking the wires delicately with an outstretched claw. "It's so... Tiny... You're so tiny." She sticks her tounge out again, laughing a little.

"So... you like... eat the sunlight like a plant?! That's... wow! What else can you do?!"

"Full list? Okay. We can also absorb heat, radiation, nuclear power whichyouwouldnotunderstandifItoldyousodon't aaask, the energy of movement, fuel sources, lots of stuff to give us energy. But we can use that energy to fly, punch things, convert stuff into other stuff, shoot p-"
"It is a long list." Green interrupted. His voice was very different from the others. It was almost the opposite of the soft-spoken nature of pink, not at all like the clear cut carefully chosen voice of orange, it was slightly close to blue's semi-deep dramatic voice, but while blue's carried an air of amusement, Greens sent chills through one's spine. "I do not think anyone has introduced me. I am green, the guy you call when things go sideways."
Orange tilted his head then counted on his fingers before whispering to blue "That is the longest sentence he has said outside of father moon."

"Sideways? Like, bad? I can do bad." She shifted colours to a neon purple and her claws dug into the dirt as she got into a pouncing position. Her tail was still lashing back and forth, now with a bit more vigor. "I am a feirce warrior, just watch. See that tree?" Her jaws opened, and a bright beam of light flashed from her mouth before it struck the wood. The bark and a fair amount of the wood where she struck exploded out with a mighty bang, shrapnel scattering across the ground and into the water as the remaining started to smoulder.

Orange immediately bounced over and started taking samples and scans, unloading a barrage of questions like: "Is that plasma or light? Or just heat? Is the radius on command? What is the max size? Is it possible to rapid fire small ones? How much energy does that take up? Is there any knockback? What about chances of backfiring? Is it possible to fizzle? Is it possible to interrupt it? Does your whole species have this power or is it unique? Were you trained how to do this or was it innate?"
Blue nudged him into the lake to shut him up. "One question at a time. And we don't have the time to ask about all that." He paused and thought for a bit. "Hey Liz... would you like to come with us on our adventure? It would give time for Orange to ask his questions, your humerous ignorance to keep us all laughing, and Pink has been asking for another girl in the group since about... 8 systems ago."

Liz did her best to focus on all of the questions directed at her, but blue's statement caught her ear in more than one way. "First, yes! I would love to come with you guys! That would be incredible! Second, Ignorance!? How am I supposed to know what all of you are, you're aliens from past the sky! I can't just instantly know about your machine bodies and your weird metal skin and your flying balls and thruster hands and all your weird stuff!"

Back