Characters : Creation

DeJoker

Master of Mayhem
Okay the first thing I want to see with the character concept are :

The year is 1932 in a world that is only different than ours due to the presence of the things that to the general populace are basically still unknown. Just strange things happen to folks from time to time, this is often rationalized or marginalized away by the government and the mainstream media. So keep this in mind when defining your character.

The character concept overview which has nothing to do with mechanics but everything to do with who the character is. Such as name, what they do for a living, their aspirations, and whether or not you feel they have had a brush with the not so normal world that they live in. The brush (or encounter), which is not required, would be something that would have been (or still is) unexplainable. Further was this brush, either by your character and/or by others, rationalized and/or marginalized away in order to not face that there ARE things that go bump in the night and worse.

Further I want at least 3 living important relationships for your character:
1) I want to know who they are (give em a name)
2) I want to know what the relationship is (describe it)
3) I want to know what the character knows about the person (from their viewpoint)
4) I want suggestions on things about the person that maybe the character does not know.

Note: Do not worry about tying (or hooking) this character into the game -- I am very good at figuring that out -- please do not peek at other players characters until posted in The Asylum -- I do not want this information publicly known initially -- we will make them public after I have had a chance to review and comment on each one. Further the purpose of these relationships is not for pre-crafted story hooks -- they are to be sources of information as well as potential story hooks of my crafting so they need to (1) Be Alive and (2) Be able to be gotten in touch with fairly easily.

Next I want you to consider what you would like to see happen in the game things that you would like to do and/or things you would like to see your character do. This also includes stating anything that you would prefer not to see occur in the game (note I cannot guarantee you will not die that will be left up to the dice and you -- because in a true Cthulhu game there is fairly high body count most of the time) but that does not mean you have to leave the game -- if it continues forward we will just need to create someone new (allotting them any xp you earned) and move forward from there -- if you so desire that is.

Last edited:
Ah perhaps I misunderstood how the Tabs work -- okay post it here and I will transfer to your tab

Okie here it is. I'm new at this kind of thing so suggestions are appreciated.
>•<
Nessa Hampton. 26. Recently out of college, she sought a job as an at-home nurse for the elderly. Having found a job, she settled down. Nessa is wary of things unnatural and is a sound believer in science. Everything supernatural can Be explained if you just look at it was her motto. Not to fond of church and preferring to go her own way, she was never quite afraid of the darkness as a child for always knew that there was nothing to fear with her father, a trained army man who had told tales of when he was a soldier, in the house. Her parents died when she was 23, partway into her nurse schooling, and this affected her greatly. She was about to quit when her brother insisted that she continue. She still stand soundly with her determination to use her knowledge to help others.
Contacts:
(Lives near)Lydia Frendin, a kind old lady of 52, sweet though superstitous and her client. Does not like to leave her house, even with the strange things happening there. She does not like the fact that she has to be taken care of, but does not complain to much. She never quite forgot her stange and quirky rituals that she allways had when an adult. Although she does not make much small talk with Nessa, she does often explain what the creaks and bumps in the house are. "Just 'sum critters I think. Maybe they be brownies, tha tricky things." Nessa does not enjoy her antics but tolerates it, trying to explain it with her knowledge.
"No, I think it's just the wind blowing through the rafters."
(Letters and lives near)Wenda Frending, Lydia's daughter, 34, and the one who is paying Nessa to watch Lydia. Very worried for her mother, yet whos busy life prevents her from giving her the care and attention she needs. Mother of two children, she is nice yet still eccentric like her mother. She does visit in the mornings, before work and after she drops her children of at the schoolhouse. Nessa does not talk to her often as she only receives her paycheck in the mail from her and little else.
(Letters)Orwin Hampton, Nessa's brother, 29. Three years older than Nessa, they were close when they were younger. Even when her parents disagreed to her career as a nurse, he encouraged her. Unlike Nessa Orwin was allways curious about the mystical, and follows many a blog about the supernatural.
While she does not see him often, she loves him dearly, though at times he can be a bit of an alpha male. Due to his inclination to not let any boys near her sister has led to Nessa's love life being rather dull.

Last edited:
Okay its a good start and I added a clarifier to the first post about it being 1932 so no cellphones and such --- sorry :)

Also your relationship with Lydia Frendin seems a bit restrictive -- but do not get me wrong I actually like that one but we need to engineer it such that you are not required to be their 24/7 perhaps make her not so forgetful and a bit more say eccentric at this point ... and perhaps her daughter drops by certain days of the week as well. It is just that she can not be there 24/7 herself and her mom, due to her eccentricities cannot live with her (she is married and has children and her eccentricity scare the children).

What are her aspirations in life, what motivates her? Okay she is wary of the unnatural and a sound believer in science -- would this belief drive her to try to explain things that seem unnatural? Again its 1930 is she a church goer? Why did she as a child not fear the darkness -- aka why she so sure it was nothing to fear?

Also if you can go into a bit more detail about what your character thinks and/or feels about each of these relationships and separate out the things that she does not know about them that would be helpful as well. Try to think about "friends" that you may have had and what feel about them and what you think you know about them. Then imagine things about them that seem fitting but you do not know about them. That might help you with these. Basically the more detail you can breathe into your character and her relationships the more life you give to your character and the more life you give to those she knows.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, and yes I will be editing it. I forgot about the time due to me being very engrossed in the creation :confused:

Name: Father Mark Kingsley
Family:
Reginald and Cassie Kingsley, parents deceased 11 and 10 years ago; Maisie Kingsley, sister
Vocation: Catholic Priest, knows contact and address info of every layperson
Stats: 52 years old, hazel eyes, wears thin silver-rimmed glasses, light brown hair with tinges of grey, 5'10", 188 lbs, heavyset build
Aspirations: Travel the country, preferably by being reassigned regularly to different parishes as the needs arise; enjoy life more, not getting younger
Background: Growing up in an Irish religious household and going to a Catholic school and being the prodigy singer in my church choir, I was, you could say, fated or groomed to live a life of godly devotion. The biggest challenge, of course, was the vow of celibacy. I had physical desires, too, like any normal human being, but my aunt who was a nun in a convent back in Ireland gave me the good example and courage to pursue priesthood. She passed away before she could witness my ordination, and a couple of years later, we emigrated to America. I continued to live with my parents and younger sister. My father was initially indifferent to my career choice, while my mom was ecstatic. But at some point in time, as my sister closed in on thirty, my parents started to resent me and my influence on Maisie. I felt like they blamed me and my religious influence for her being too choosy on who to marry. I wanted my sister to be happy, of course, but I had little faith in the men that showed interest in her. Their frustration and resentment were real, for when I moved out about a year later, my parents practically ostracized me, saying stuff that they should have kicked me out a long time ago. It was very hurtful. Things got worse when my father died in a coal mine accident in that same year, and my mom blamed God for it. My sister persuaded her to at least go through a Catholic funeral - in a different borough away from me. With a bitter and broken heart, she passed away within a year. It all added up. Two miscarriages between her firstborn Mark and fourth child Maisie. Then becoming a widow, with her hope of having grandchildren through Maisie dwindling as she grew past ideal marrying age.
Anyways, I thought that Maisie should get all the proceeds of selling our parents' house. But you know what, she didn't care about the money. She yelled at me and said she hated me, and that I have a lot to blame for her 'old maid' state. I said I was sorry. That she and Ma and Pa were right. I had a lot to blame. It was a cathartic experience - for both of us. I admitted that I suffered from bouts of loneliness. We talked, agreed that we couldn't change the past, and we're the only family left each other got. I love my sister.
In retrospect, I think I had a habit of being too idealist, too strict on striving to be holy in God's eyes, and turned a blind eye to the reality of things. This was the very cause of my sister's unhappy plight, and also of my own. I was never really close to any of my brethrens. They were too ambitious in gaining prominence amongst men, amongst themselves, wanting to attain higher positions, but me, I saw through all that and didn't want any part of it. And especially after The War, I started to have doubts. Doubts about The Church and the increasingly apparent hypocrisy in the clergy, the supposed paragons of virtue and providers of spiritual guidance. But no doubts about God and His mercy. I am certain everything He allows has a purpose.
I can't deny though that the theme of death all around me -- my parents, soldiers, civilians, children, women -- hasn't affected my outlook. I dunno. I think the world lost its vibrancy and idealism after that dreadful war. I wasn't immune to it. And now I'm struggling along with the masses. I'm starting to feel plenty of regret. Old age is catching up to me. Death could be knocking any day now. I could have married and have many children by now. Yeah. I guess when faced with your own mortality, you start to rethink things. But I'm a man of God. It will take more than death and regret to gnaw at my faith, yes? Well. Yeah. But you see, life is full of outlook-changing events. I'm not claiming something specific happened, but... I just can't afford to tell you, you see. I have to set a good and strong example. How can I preach to men to have more faith when I'm showing lack of it? I can tell you one thing, though. I believe in Christ. But the Church... I'm now not so sure of."
Weird: "I don't know. It's happened more than once, this feeling of deja vu. Actually, I think a lot lot more than once. Even telling you this, I feel like... have we had this conversation before? Yeah, sometimes while standing on the pulpit staring at the people, I feel like I've given the same exact sermon to the same exact people sitting in their exact same spots, maybe even them wearing the same exact coats and hats.
Yeah, maybe I focus too much on the Gospel of John. That might explain the deja vu. I also really should get enough sleep the night before, too."

Name: Grimes Berg
Vocation:
Police Detective
Relationship: Regular Churchgoer and friend with mutual respect for each other's profession
Stats: 42 years old, blonde, blue eyes, 6'1" tall, medium build but pudgying at the belly; married with two children
Know: "He's a good man. A good honest cop. That's all I can say, really. He's a regular Church-goer, contributes money more than the average. Goes to confession every month. Wife hasn't been the same after their second child... so it's understandable. As for his job, he knows not to ask me about other people's confessions, because, y'know, I'm bound by my calling. He knows his job is with the law, and my job is between men and Christ.
Do you find it weird that my closest non-relative friend is not a fellow clergy? Actually, it's weird using the term friendship due to my position as spiritual shepherd to a sheep. But there's just a mutual respect for each other's position of authority. He knows that he's not getting any confidential information from me about others' sins. The best I could do is encourage my confessors to approach the authorities if they committed crimes. So that they can be truly pardoned of guilt and sin. The courts will be more lenient with voluntary admittances. See, if I tell Officer Berg anything, anything at all that's against my vow of confidentiality, how can I expect him to confess to me with the same confidence? Yes, he is not imperfect and sinless. Who is? I really am not at liberty to discuss what others confess to me. But like I said, he's a good man. He trusts me implicitly. I am involved a lot with his family, invited for birthdays, holidays. I'm his favourite piano or organ player! Even before them Victrolas came into vogue. His only request is for me to play and sing livelier pieces, though occasionally I'd break out in an aria. Both his teenager children, Sam and Jacob, are really into music, either inspired or nurtured by my own musicality. Y'know, if I weren't a priest, I'd be more comfortable saying we're friends. And as a non-priest, I'd probably have children who'll play with his. Our wives... well, that's a different story. Yes, I know it's a tough situation, with Mrs. Berg in her condition. She's bedridden and witless due to some illness that attacked her nervous system. Some say it was due to some unsanitary complications at the hospital, but who knows. It's a tough situation, I'd say more for Mr. Berg than the children. I told Mr. Berg to... just wait, exercise forbearance and patience. To endure."

Not know: "I don't know if he's ever arrested or suspected anyone in our parish. Others in my Church know him, respect him. As you can see, my sheep are law-abiding citizens. I do not know how long Mrs. Berg has left, but all I know is that I'll always be there for the Bergs as a father and friend."

Name: Eleanor Digsby
Vocation:
Coal Mining Tycoon widow; antique collector
Relationship: Faithful Church-goer; surrogate mother
Stats: 71 years old, grey hair used to be brown, brown eyes, 5'2" hunched tall, 98 lbs, fragile
Know: "She's there every Sunday. Everyone's aware of her wealth. Niece occasionally accompanies her. Very faithful woman, a considerable asset to our parish.
Everyone knew Mr. Robert Digsby was not a God-fearing man with his many vices, including women. It didn't help that Mrs. Digsby was infertile and had to deal illegitimate children, along with extended blood relatives - nephews and nieces mostly - vying for a big piece of her inheritance. Mr. Digsby was actually my father's employer, a stingy man who gave little bereavement funds when my father died in a coal mine accident. It was Mrs. Digsby who helped my mother and sister secretly monetarily. She really only favoured one relative, a 25-year old niece, Nicole, who I'd say wasn't swayed by the wealth. Mrs. Digsby offered to pay lavishly Nicole's parents in exchange for her staying at the Digsby mansion and looking after the elderly woman. But being a woman of integrity, Nicole politely declined, preferring to remain with her family in Missouri some distance away. I joked with Mrs. Digsby that maybe Nicole is being courted and that when she said 'family', she possibly meant a future one.
I'm not really materialistic, appreciating the charity of my parish. I think anyone who wasn't after her money, Mrs. Digsby liked. She knew who I was, the son of the widow and her daughter who ostracized him after the death of the husband. It carried enough of a stigma for a priest, but Mrs. Digsby's taking me as like an adopted son she never had was probably the most significant event of my priestly life. Honestly, she was like Mother Mary to me, pardon me if that sounded sacrilegious. I was just a rookie priest, y'know, and I wanted to get the hay out of there, but she knew my plight - I guess from her conversations with my mother and sister - and she saved me. But y'know what? That brought on a new sort of stigma. From the outside, it seems like I'm vulture entity hoping to get a big chunk of her will and estate. But, that's one thing I've learned to deal with. People talk. And now you understand why as a priest to whom people confess all sorts of things, I can't even leak the slightest squeak!
Anyways, she's like my mother. I love her to death. I accompany her on long trips, the last one to Canada, to see the aurora borealis. We plan a trip to the Vatican next year to see the Pope. But I still call her Mrs. Digsby, for appearance's sake."
Not know: "If she perishes? A sizeable will to our Church? Sorry, I'm not privy to that information."

Name: Maisie Kingsley
Vocation: Primary school teacher
Relationship: Younger sister, occasional Church-goer
Stats: 41 years old, dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, 5'5" tall, 138lbs, medium build
Know: "My only other sibling, 11 years younger. I think she's upset with me that she's still single. She's not unattractive, but I've saved her a lot of trouble by not marrying a non-believer. She lives about an hour's walk from me. She comes to Church on Christmas and Easter only lately, and the occasional fund-raising event."
[For more info, see Mark's background above]
Not know: "I do not know what she's doing now, socially. She's confessed only once to me ever. I just hope she's not seeing that drunkard good-for-nothing loafer again."

Last edited:
Okay Shadelier you can be the 5th element to the group ;) but next time please ask to join a game before just jumping in. I am sure that there are those that are not as lenient as I -- Had I already had five players this would have been intrusive.

As to the relationships -- What does he feel about each one -- and other than his sister I see fairly weak ties to each of these people. The goal is a fairly strong tie -- "aka the important people in your character's life" how are these people important to your character. Describe the relationship they have that makes it more than just an acquaintance. As I stated before the more life you breathe into this NPC the more life you breathe into your character and the more fun the game will be in the longer run.

Okay other than the "weird" (nice twist) does your character have any quirks and/or habits. How is his relationship with the Church? His senior clergy. What does he perhaps struggle with the most within his faith? Does he have any other things that he has learned besides how to be a clergyman. Who are/were his parents. What did they do for a living and if they are dead how/when did they die and how did that affect the character's outlook on life.

Note To All : What I am striving for here is a richer detail about the character -- basically do a little more thinking about them and write those thoughts down even if its a jumbled mess more details make for a better character. Further those details will help me advise you on putting Skills to reflect the things you outline.

I am Sentience, btw. No fifth person here. I will revise my previous post to incorporate all your suggested improvements within the next two days.

Oh wow okay -- well umm did you change your name then ?? And you will be using this handle going forward or how will this work ? Just curious hate to have future confusion on my end ;)

Okay just let me know when they are done

Last edited:
@DeJoker - I updated the character entries' post. I referenced times and places in a relative manner. I hope the information is sufficient, presented in an interview style to the narrator/GM. I do want to save some info for later unveiling during the course of the story.

Yes that is pretty straight forward -- if you are comfortable with that perhaps we can start putting some of the Mechanics to the character and since you are the first I guess you get to be the proverbial example for the others if you are okay with that we can get started just let me know.

By the way -- when you refer to the Great War I am assuming you are talking about WW I yes ?

And mechanics forth coming

Rachel Rider

Wenda Frending : (Phone, Letters and lives near) Lydia's daughter, 34, and the one who is paying Nessa to watch Lydia. Very worried for her mother, yet whose busy life prevents her from giving her the care and attention she needs. Mother of two children, she is nice yet still eccentric like her mother. She does visit in the mornings, before work and after she drops her children off at the schoolhouse. Nessa does not talk to her often as she only receives her paycheck in the mail from her and little else.

Okay yes they are Alive and fairly easily contacted — but Wenda is not what I would call a "Source of information (or Dialogue)" so while a nice bit of back drop she is not what I would call "important" in Nessa's life other than being a paycheck as such not a "relationship" of the sort I was seeking.

Oh and I added back in the Phone -- while its not a "cellphone" they did have rotary dial phones that were fairly prevalent.

Note if go back and make changes to the original post — please let me know when you have so I can know to go look and see what has been changed.

Shadelier

If you look at the Mechanics thread under the "Sequence of Creation" tab you will see that we are now on:

3) Choose an Occupation (note your Occupation Abilities and your Starting Credit Rating)

The Occupations can be found in the "Trail of Cthulhu Condensed Rules" starting on page 3

It is quite obvious that this character is : Clergy

Credit Rating : 2-5

Occupational Abilities :

General ( Psychoanalysis )
Academic ( History, Language (Latin, Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew), Library Use, Theology )
Interpersonal ( Assess Honesty, Reassurance )

Choose 1 other Interpersonal Ability (Bargain, Bureaucracy, Credit Rating, Flattery, Interrogation, Intimidation, Oral History, Sociology)

You should carefully read over the Interpersonal Abilities as some of them might be more than what they seem on the surface. If I were to make a suggestion I would think your character might take Interrogation as it would help with Confession in getting someone to divulge more than they might have planned to. Basically knowing how to ask the right questions and how to best ask those questions to get the best answers.

The Credit Rating starts at its lowest value for free (i.e. 2) and is considered an Interpersonal Ability for spending Build Points on it to raise it. However unlike other Abilities it is normal cost cap is 5 which means buying Rating 3, 4, and/or 5 costs 1 point each but buying the 6th Rating (your maximum value) would cost you 2 points. You should probably have a Rating of at least 4 but we will get to that when we move to the next stage (4) of character creation.

I'll take your suggestion and choose Interrogation as my 1 other Interpersonal ability.
I am confused. I have 65 Build points to spend on General, and 20 on Investigative, but the majority of my skills fall under Investigative. Can I spend the 65 points on some of the Investigative?

65 points on General:
Psychoanalysis

20 points on Investigative:
History
Language
Library Use
Theology
Assess Honesty
Reassurance
Interrogation

Okay the confusion will go away shortly -- to make things seem less daunting and thus less prone to "drive you to madness" ;) we are simply going to just take one step at a time. I have found if you try to ingest all of it all at once you are going to get a headache kind of like eating too much candy too fast gives you a stomachache. So we are just going to nibble at it -- as I found that to be the best approach for folks new to this concept.

4) Spend your Build Points (see appropriate tabs)

Okay this one is a pretty big chunk and kind of hard to cut up much smaller due to its interworkings so here is how to approach it.

General Ability = 65
  • Athletics (15)
  • Conceal (15)
  • Disguise (15)
  • Driving (15)
  • Electrical Repair (15)
  • Explosives (15)
  • Filch (15)
  • Firearms (15)
  • First Aid (15)
  • Fleeing (15)
  • Hypnosis (15)
  • Magic (*)
  • Mechanical Repair (15)
  • Piloting (15)
  • Preparedness (15)
  • Projectiles (15)
  • Psychoanalysis (15)
  • Riding (15)
  • Sailing (15)
  • Scuffling (15)
  • Sense Trouble (15)
  • Shadowing (15)
  • Stealth (15)
  • Weapons (15)
  • -----
  • 1 Health (12)
  • 4 Sanity (10)
  • 1 Stability (12)

Investigative Ability = 20

Academic
  • 0 Accounting (15)
  • 0 Anthropology (15)
  • 0 Archaeology (15)
  • 0 Architecture (15)
  • 0 Art History (15)
  • 0 Biology (15)
  • 0 Cthulhu Mythos (0)
  • 0 Cryptography (15)
  • 0 Geology (15)
  • 0 History (15)
  • 1 Languages (English-S)
  • 0 Law (15)
  • 0 Library Use (15)
  • 0 Medicine (15)
  • 0 Occult Knowledge (15)
  • 0 Physics (15)
  • 0 Theology (15)

Interpersonal
  • 0 Assess Honesty (15)
  • 0 Bargain (15)
  • 0 Bureaucracy (15)
  • 0 Flattery (15)
  • 0 Interrogation (15)
  • 0 Intimidation (15)
  • 0 Oral History (15)
  • 0 Reassurance (15)
  • 0 Sociology (Academia, Cops, Military, Streets, etc…) (15)
  • -----
  • 2 Credit Rating (6)

Technical
  • 0 Art (15)
  • 0 Astronomy (15)
  • 0 Chemistry (15)
  • 0 Craft (15)
  • 0 Evidence Collection (15)
  • 0 Forensics (15)
  • 0 Locksmith (15)
  • 0 Pharmacology (15)
  • 0 Photography (15)
  • 0 Survivalist (15)

Okay I do not see you having problems with spending any and/or all your points if you understand that these entire lists are available to you. The only difference between a normal Ability and your Occupational Ability is that every appropriate Build Point you put into an Occupational Ability nets you 2 Rating Points in that Ability. For instance you put 2 IBPs (Investigative Build Points) into Theology your Theology would have a Rating of 4

Also you will notice that I put the "Special Abilities" under their appropriate section for what BPs get spent on them basically GBPs (General Build Points) are used to increase your Health, Sanity, and Stability while your IBPs are used to increase your Credit Rating.

Note to increasing Credit Rating you can take to a 6 but that 6th Rating point will cost you 2 IBPs so to take your Credit Rating from a 2 where it starts to a 6 would cost you 1 IBP to take it to a 3, 1 IBP to take it to a 4, 1 IBP to take it to a 5 and 2 IBPs to take it to a 6 for a total of 5 IBPs. That is not to say you need to have a Credit Rating that high but you should probably have at least a 4 and keep in mind that its the period of the Great Depression and a Credit Rating of 2 means you have no time to do anything but put food on the table and a roof over your head. So to be able to have some free time you need at least a Credit Rating of 4 or be getting paid to pursue the investigations which I cannot guarantee will happen. A CR of 5 or 6 just means you have an easier time at it and/or might reflect your that your financial patron augmenting your ability to do things or some other extra source of resources. Not CR does not mean just "income" it means access to resources of which income is one of those resource elements.

Another note on those Special Abilities most of them cannot be raised after the game starts by spending XP and some of them like Sanity cannot be raised at all once the game starts. Currently with a Rating of 1 Health you need to visit the hospital a lot, and a Stability of 1 means you are nearly at your wits end and probably pulling your hair out while a Sanity of 4 means well you are bit cooky. Keep in mind that Health and Stability are on a scale of 1 to 12 and Sanity is on a scale of 1 to 10 where the high ends are not unheard of in the general population so the question boils down to where do you feel your character falls on these scales -- and do not feel like you have to under sell them perhaps pick a number that you feel comfortable with for your character and if less than max maybe bump it up by 1

The problem you might find is that well you do not have enough points to put things where you would like them even after consulting the scales for the other Abilities listed under Build Points Explained.

Also be sure you know what an Ability is about as they are fairly broad topics and the word used might not be what you expect when completely defining all the things that can be done with that Ability. Once you have gone through and allocated your points we will review that -- If I see a need I will make alteration suggestions but again this is mostly about how you envision your character in regards to the various abilities.

Lastly Athletics and Fleeing have a special relationship -- in that Fleeing is sort of a specialized subset of Athletics and is used to reflect a specific concept of the genre that Athletics by itself would not reflect very well. Oh and the numbers in ( ) after an Ability are the maximum Rating you can have in that Ability in case that was not obvious

Okay Shadelier so as to help you ease into this let us look at your character -- first obviously has Academic : Theology that is pretty much a given and he most likely has at least Advanced Training so we can start by committing 4 IBPs to Theology gives him a Rating of 8 because its an Occupational Ability. And to be consistent we will commit 2 BPs to the rest of his Occupational Abilities (except Reassurance as it sounded like an Ability he used more frequently and Psychoanalysis since its his only General Occupational Ability) giving us :

6 Psychoanalysis (3 GBP)
-----
4 History (2 IBP)
5 Languages {English-SW, Latin-SW, Hebrew-W} (2 IBP)
4 Library Use (2 IBP)
8 Theology (4 IBP)
4 Assess Honesty (2 IBP)
4 Interrogation (2 IBP)
6 Reassurance (3 IBP)

Hmmm well that leaves us 62 GBP and 3 IBP

Next you mention (A) he is the prodigy Singer and later on you mention (B) I am his favorite piano or organ player and that falls under the venue of Art. Hmmm that means we need at least 3 IBPs to cover that -- and while a 4 means he is fully trained we have only got 3 IBPs left over so...

3 Art (Singing, Piano, Organ) (3 IBP)

That leaves us 62 GBP and 0 IBP

Well not much more about your character's overview directly suggests any other skills but lets go through some of the General Abilities and see what we have. First lets discard the ones he most likely will not going to have like Conceal, Disguise, Explosives, Filch, Firearms, Hypnosis, Magic, Piloting, Projectiles, Riding, Sailing, Shadowing, Weapons. That leaves us with the following list :
  • Driving
  • Electrical Repair
  • First Aid
  • Fleeing
  • Mechanical Repair
  • Preparedness
  • Scuffling
  • Sense Trouble
  • Stealth
  • -----
  • 1 Health
  • 4 Sanity
  • 1 Stability

Okay so while he is 52 I do not see where he might not be physically fit and active so...

6 Athletics (6 GBP)

This kind of means we can do away with Fleeing unless you really need him to be a good sprinter. He most likely knows how to Drive (or at least that might be part of the picture) and probably knows First Aid ?? so...

4 Driving (4 GBP)
4 First Aid (4 GBP)

Now he's an Irish Priest so is he that atypical Irish Priest that learned fist-ta-cuffs if yes then we could say he has :

4 Scuffling (4 GBP)

Next lets take care of the very important items again he seems fairly Healthy lets give him a 10 and probably nearly rock solid in the Sanity department and while a bit troubled seems pretty Stable as well.

10 Health (9GBP)
9 Sanity (5 GBP)
10 Stability (9 GBP)

So this means we have spent 41 GBPs leaving us with 21 GBPs

Oh but we have that Credit Rating issue and should probably get that up to at least a 4 -- and that would cost 2 IBPs but we do not have any -- well we could trade one of your Investigative Abilities down but you are not excessive any where in that department so .. lets get them from GBP and that means we 6 GBPs to swap for 2 IBPs

4 Credit Rating (6 GBP)

Thus we have :

General Ability

6 Athletics (6 GBP)
4 Driving (4 GBP)
4 First Aid (4 GBP)
6 Psychoanalysis (3 GBP)
4 Scuffling (4 GBP)
-----
10 Health (9GBP)
9 Sanity (5 GBP)
10 Stability (9 GBP)

Investigative Ability

Academic
4 History (2 IBP)
5 Languages {English-SW, Latin-SW, Hebrew-W} (2 IBP)
4 Library Use (2 IBP)
8 Theology (4 IBP)

Interpersonal
4 Assess Honesty (2 IBP)
4 Interrogation (2 IBP)
6 Reassurance (3 IBP)
-----
4 Credit Rating (6 GBP)

Technical
3 Art (Singing, Piano, Organ) (3 IBP)

This leaves us only 15 GBPs and a handful of Abilities that we might want to pick up.

• Electrical Repair
  • Mechanical Repair
  • Preparedness
  • Sense Trouble
  • Stealth

So do you want any of these Abilities -- maybe he knows how to keep a automobile going (Mechanical Repair), maybe he tends to be the proverbial boy scout and is always ready (Preparedness), maybe he knows when someone is up to mischief of one of the parish is in trouble (Sense Trouble), maybe his fairly good at moving quietly about when others are praying (Stealth) , perhaps you would rather have him have a Credit Rating of 5 (would cost another 3 GBP) -- Then maybe some of your other General Abilities can be raised some or if you want to raise your Art (for 3 GBPs per Rating I can allow that) -- but these are all questions you should probably answer.

I hope that shows you kind of how to go about thinking about and gives you leg up on getting that done (and helps the other players perhaps see how it might be done).

Last edited:
General Ability
6 Athletics (6 GBP)
4 Driving (4 GBP)
4 First Aid (4 GBP)
4 Mechanical Repair (4 GBP)
4 Preparedness (4 GBP)
8 Psychoanalysis (4 GBP)
4 Scuffling (4 GBP)
3 Sense Trouble (3 GBP)
10 Health (9 GBP)
9 Sanity (5 GBP)
10 Stability (9 GBP)

Investigative Ability
Academic
4 History (2 IBP)
5 Languages (English-RW, Latin-RW, Hebrew-W) (2 IBP)
4 Library Use (2 IBP)
8 Theology (4 IBP)
Interpersonal
4 Assess Honesty (2 IBP)
4 Interrogation (2 IBP)
6 Reassurance (3 IBP)
4 Credit Rating (6 GBP)
Technical
4 Art (3 IBP + 3 GPB)

Okay that sets all the points no the final touches ---

9 Sanity requires 2 Pillars of Sanity -- those should be pretty easy for this character

10 Stability requires 3 Sources of Stability --- which you can use your Relationships for if you like or make new one(s) for that purpose

Then you just need to choose a -- Drive

All the above can be found under Tabs in the Mechanics area

The Last but not Least

8) Create a Wish List of Items you feel your character might posses pay attention to their Credit Rating when doing this. If you feel you have a rationale for this based on the time period you may include that in your wish list. I will let you know before the game begins what things you actually do posses. Include things like "where you live" not necessarily its street address but say (apartment, house, etc...). Do you own a car? Do you have access to (not necessarily directly own) firearms or other items of destruction. Keep in mind this is predominately a Detective game and most of the things you will want to kill are not easily harmed by mundane weapons and bullets often just make them mad.

Not sure what he might have beyond Rosary, Bible, and such --- maybe a true Silver Cross but you can be creative and I will look it over.

Last edited:
Back