Characters : Creation

Name: James Leidan, PI.
Occupation: James Leidan is a Private Investigator, a sort of freelance detective. He has years of experience, and has helped solve many cases.
Physical appearance: He often wears a fedora and trench coat, and a pair of dress shoes. He usually carries a briefcase around with various tools of his trade. His face is rectangular, with a rough jawline and a pointed chin. He has a decent amount of stubble, but despite many late nights at the office his eyes appear ever vigilant, searching for danger even when it seems none is to be found. He is about 6' 2", which gives him a rather intimidating appearance.
Background: As a kid, James often dreamed of becoming a pilot. His family was able to give him a good education, and he had many friends. All of a sudden, at the age of 9, his perfect world was shattered by the brutal murder of his two parents. Leidan was sent to an orphanage in New York, leaving everything he ever knew behind in Maine. From that point onward, Leidan would be convinced of one thing, and one thing only. Mankind has no 'inner good', and has never had any, and will never have any. All men's motives are driven by hatred, and greed. Well living in the orphanage, he made many friends, one in particular. Her name was Sarah Smith, and the two were bound by love. The would often be caught in class sneaking notes between each-other, and would often get in trouble because of it. He would also become good friends with Jacob Holden, one of the other boys at the orphanage. The two often joked around, and it was rare to see the two together and no-one smiling. When he became 16, he was able to land a job in the New York Times, helping to operate the printing presses. One night, well fixing a paper jam in one of the presses, he heard talking. Because he was usually the only one there at night, he investigated, careful not to let anyone see him. "...You can't do this!" It was the manager. He peered into the office. There was a man with a mask, holding a revolver to the manager's head. "I'll ask you one more time. Where is the money?" The masked man said, his voice rising. Leidan grabbed his wrench from the toolbox. "Over here...." The manager said. James dashed out of cover, shouting, wrench raised. This took the burglar by surprise, allowing James time to knock him out cold. "You... you saved me..." The manager said, shocked. Leidan was awarded a medal of honor, and a hefty sum of money for the capture of a dangerous criminal. He used this money to go to college, and study forensics. He graduated at the top of his class, and at age 25, he became a private investigator. He has solved many cases, and has never once failed any of his clients. He has recently been investigating a strange series of murders.
Supernatural encounter:
"I saw.... It. Just a glimpse, out of the corner of my eye. But what I saw was.... Nightmarish. I cannot begin to describe it, except what I saw was... Darkness. Pure, utter, complete, darkness."

Sorry I missed a bit. Leidan's age is 35.
Relationships:
Sarah Smith:
He and Sarah had been great friends ever since they met. He writes her letters every chance he gets. Sort of like his girlfriend.
Jacob Holden:
His best-friend, the two often write to each-other. They tend to joke around, and usually their letters are seldom serious.
Jonathan Whitby:
The manager who's life Leidan had saved. The letters between the two tend to be more serious.

Encounter (Edited/finished version)
In an interview with the Times regarding a series of kidnappings, Leidan stated:
"I saw.... just a glimpse, but I saw out of the corner of my eye... I don't know what I saw but it was.... Nightmarish. I cannot really begin to describe it, except that it was... Darkness. Just pure, utter, complete, darkness with a shape that was... humanoidish but definitely not human... and it had wings... and a tail." However, Leidan denies the fact that any sort of supernatural entity is involved, saying "There are no monsters hiding in the closet. We all need to know this. Everything has a logical and reasonable explanation, and I intend to find it." In all reality though, he barely believes a word of what he said.

Anything else I'm missing?

Okay if you look back at the first post in this thread you will see the following: I have put in Bold the things you are currently missing.

The character concept overview which has nothing to do with mechanics but everything to do with who the character is. Such as name, what they do for a living, their aspirations

Keep in mind the more life you can breathe into your character and their relationships the more fun they will be to play. Also in creating these relationships why so far away -- why cannot Sarah be his secretary -- perhaps his best friend is a cop now ?? Further your character could be based in the same town as the printer guy or a town very near by.

Further I want at least 3 living important relationships for your character:
1) I want to know who they are (give em a name)
2) I want to know what the relationship is (describe it)
3) I want to know what the character knows about the person (from their viewpoint)
4) I want suggestions on things about the person that maybe the character does not know.

Note: Do not worry about tying (or hooking) this character into the game -- I am very good at figuring that out -- please do not peek at other players characters until posted in The Asylum -- I do not want this information publicly known initially -- we will make them public after I have had a chance to review and comment on each one. Further the purpose of these relationships is not for pre-crafted story hooks -- they are to be sources of information (and dialogue) as well as potential story hooks of my crafting so they need to (1) Be Alive and (2) Be able to be gotten in touch with fairly easily

Next I want you to consider what you would like to see happen in the game things that you would like to do and/or things you would like to see your character do. This also includes stating anything that you would prefer not to see occur in the game (note I cannot guarantee you will not die that will be left up to the dice and you -- because in a true Cthulhu game there is fairly high body count most of the time) but that does not mean you have to leave the game -- if it continues forward we will just need to create someone new (allotting them any xp you earned) and move forward from there -- if you so desire that is.

Okay, here we go:
Aspirations/Dreams:
Leidan has always dreamed of becoming a pilot, even after he went through college. "I've always wanted to be a pilot. The thought of flying away from all the fears and troubles of life to somewhere far away has been a sort of dream of mine." ---J. P. Leidan, in an interview for The New York Times.

Relationships (In more detail):
Sarah (Age 35) is currently his secretary, and the two get along very well. They are just as close as they had been before. Although she doesn't make it obvious, she always worries for him, and is constantly afraid he might die. "Sarah is... The kindest, most thoughtful person I have ever met before. She has given me hope in a world of despair, light in a world of darkness. She has given me love in a world of hate." J. P. Leidan, in an interview for LIFE magazine.
Jacob Holden (Age 34) is currently, despite his rather un-serious nature, a lawyer. He has occasionally been able to visit Leidan, however his work usually keeps them separate, unfortunately. When they do visit, they laugh so loud that the whole block can hear them. Jacob seems to always be cheerful, but tends to shy away from discussing personal history "Jacob has been an amazing friend, through thick and thin. We might disagree on some things, but when I am with him, it feels as though the burdens of this world are lifted off of me." ---J. P. Leidan, in an interview for The New York Times
Jonathan Whitby (Age 52), the manager who Leidan saved, is more serious and thoughtful. Leidan and him tend to have more thoughtful conversations. He has since stepped down from his position as manager and is currently living under retirement in the same town as Leidan. Jonathan seems to be strangely terrified of something, and is constantly watching his back, terrified of something. "Jonathan and I, contrary to popular belief, actually disagree on a lot of things. We usually discuss these things at night, by his fireplace, and even though we disagree on much, we enjoy each-other's company. Discussing these things with him has given me a lot of insight on many things." J. P. Leidan, in an interview for LIFE magazine

Goals for Leidan:
My only goal is for him and Sarah to become engaged, and married if possible. I know I say I don't like romance much, but I think I might try to experiment a little here.

Okay so other than aspiring to become a pilot (btw has taken any flying lessons yet? or done extensive reading on the subject or ....) -- does he have any other aspirations about his life -- solving a big case -- etc...

Also I have finished the "I saw" a bit vague-ish but I did not want to right a novel... let me know what you think and if you want to change anything

Alright those are much better descriptions and something I can work with and the last one fit in nicely with the "I saw" story.

Last edited:
Okay so other than aspiring to become a pilot -- does he have any other aspirations about his life -- solving a big case -- getting married -- etc...

Also I have finished the "I saw" a bit vague-ish but I did not want to right a novel... let me know what you think and if you want to change anything
Oh yes, I forgot: He is determined, driven by a sort of fiery vengeance, hatred almost, to find his parents murderer.

About the case, here's what I would like:
Keep the first bit, up until "I saw.." then replace it with this.
"I saw.... It. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of something... nightmarish. I cannot begin to describe it, except that it was... darkness. Pure, Unimaginable, Utter Darkness. It embodied to me everything evil and horrible, full of anger and greed. I called Jonathan, and told him of this. I remember our conversation clearly: 'James, what is it?' 'I... I don't know... It was.... It was horrid, it was nightmarish, it was...' 'James.... You need to call off that case. Now. I don't care what happened, or how much you're getting paid, but for my sake and yours, call it off. Go to the pub and buy yourself a drink, heck, ten. Tell the bartender to put it on my tab.' . Me and Jonathan never discussed that again. When I got back, I was going to tell Sarah, but when I saw her... something made me forget everything about that night. She welcomed me home, gave me a hot cup of cider. Sarah is a light in a world of darkness, a beacon of hope in a world of despair. Without her, I might have gone mad a thousand times by now." --J. P. Leidan, in an interview for the New York Times.

Okay the only problem with this -- is it going public --- a log in a private journal is fine -- further there was a reason for the description I portrayed ;) but other than this going "public" I can hold to what you wrote -- nice writing by the way

I let you edit it before making it official on your sheet

Okay the only problem with this -- is it going public --- a log in a private journal is fine -- further there was a reason for the description I portrayed ;) but other than this going "public" I can hold to what you wrote -- nice writing by the way
Okay, just don't add the "--- J. P. Laiden, in an interview for the New York Times" and it'll be fine. I just want him to catch a glimpse of the supernatural, not something so detailed he knows it's real. I intend for him to be constantly attempting to deny the fact that this stuff is real.

Also, regarding the characters:

I plan on Jacob visiting, and announcing this in a telegraph. If this could improve Leidan's sanity, I don't know. Regardless, it would have them all in the same place, at least for a week.

Sarah comforts him, and is one of the few things keeping him sane. If possible, I would like them to get married. I think to many of my character's relationships end up just fading away. I want this to be lasting. Heck, maybe Shadeliers character could marry them (You know, him being a priest and all)

Jonathan isn't exactly your classic 'Grumpy old man' archetype. He has had a brush with the supernatural before, but is reluctant to bring it up with Leidan. Also, when I mean serious, what I mean is he doesn't joke around.

Would you be able to help me with his possessions and skill points? The more 'gamey' bit of this thing. Thanks for the compliment. I love writing short stories like that, and plan on doing MANY more.

4) Spend your Build Points (see appropriate tabs)

Credit Rating : 2-3

Occupational Abilities :
General Ability
4 Disguise (2 GBP)
2 Driving (1 GBP)
6 Scuffling (3 GBP)
6 Shadowing (3 GBP)​

Investigative Ability 20
Academic
2 Accounting (1 IBP)
2 Law (1 IBP)​
Interpersonal
4 Assess Honesty (2 IBP)
4 Reassurance (2 IBP)​
Technical
4 Locksmith (2 IBP)
4 Photography (2 IBP)​

Okay that is a fairly good place to start from but you are going to probably want a few other skills to better reflect the more hard-boiled detective you have outlined so need to pick up

General Ability 56
5 Athletics (5 GBP)
2 Filch (2 GBP)
2 Preparedness (2 GBP)
2 Sense Trouble (2 GBP)
2 Stealth (2 GBP)
3 Firearms (3 GBP)
-----
8 Heatlth (7 GBP)
7 Sanity (3 GBP)
7 Stability (6 GBP)
Investigative Ability 10
Academic
4 Languages {English-SW, CopTalk-S, StreetTalk-S} (12 GBP)​

Interpersonal
2 Intimidation (6 GBP)
3 Interrogation (3 IBP)
2 Sociology {CopSociety, StreetSociety} (2 IBP)
---
CR 4 (3 IBP)​

Technical
2 Evidence Collection (2 IBP)
2 Forensics (6 GBP)​

Okay this probably the best spread that I can net you for your character and this uses up all your points. If you however want to adjust anything let me know.

Last edited:
Okay adjusted the numbers and that is about the best I can do -- but if you want to alter something let me know

Is there a 'marksmanship' skill? I think the only changes I might make are to give him several points in marksmanship, and maybe a few more in interrogation. Other than that, those skills reflect perfectly the kind of character I'd want him to be.

oh I missed Firearms sry --- and I will see about upping his Interro -- but I have to lower something else to do that

It be good -- dropped Forensics 1 point and raised Interrogation 1 point -- I agree probably is more focused Ability -- I also gave him Firearms 3 by dropping Preparedness, Sense Trouble, and Stealth by 1 -- not a big difference between a 2 and a 3 for the most part so that should be viable for him.

He needs only 2 Sources of Stability -- I am going to assume Sarah is one of them :) and the lawyer guy is the other based off their descriptions -- let me know if that is not the case

Now with a Sanity of 7 he needs 2 Pillars of Sanity

And he needs a Drive

Pillars of sanity (2 you said?):
Love
Physical laws and the reality of scientific knowledge
Source of stability:
Sarah
Sarah is loving, caring, and comforting, and just being near her makes him feel better
Jacob
Jacob's whimsical view on the world helps Leidan take his mind off of the terror lurking behind every corner.
Drive:
Curiosity
Leidan cannot let the case go, he must find a logical solution.
"There has to be a logical explanation, no there must be a logical explanation. I have never believed in the supernatural, and I'm not starting now."

Drive:
Duty

Pillars of Sanity:
Religious faith (in God, lesser now in the Church)
Moral principles

Sources of Stability:
Maisie Kingsley - beloved sister, only family left
Eleanor Digsby - Mother Mary figure
Grime Berg - family friend

Wish List:
lives in the parish rectory
parish car for use by priests
Rosary, Bible, crucifix, pocketwatch
candles, matches
rectory dial phone
desk radio
music sheets
glasses
priestly garbs, high quality

"Wish list" for Leidan:
Ford Model A
Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver
Rotary Dial Phone
Basic Household Amenities
Small three story building, his office on the bottom (With Sarah's secretary desk, sort of a two room thing.) his room on the second floor, and Sarah's on the top.
Fedora and trench coat.
Wrist watch, brief case.
Cigar box
Cigars (What else do you put in a cigar box?)
Lighter
Journal
Camera (Black and white, film, the works)
Small, intricately carved lock-box.

If this is out of his credit rating, let me know.

Back