Characters : Creation

Right, I was thinking about what my character should have.

General possessions
- Small house on the outskirt of a Californian town
- Generic car
- Piano
- General arts supplies
On his person
- Colt M1911 (Pistol)
- Rolled up blank canvas, a dozen
- A bunch of drawing and painting supplies, along with a decent quantity of red, blue, and yellow paint.
- A small flask
- A mostly blank notebook (Occult research notes)
- A pan flute

Whatever does really, I am slowing down a bit on the activity side, of course while I did not have another rp going on here I was more active, and as the semester advances I obviously have to slow down a bit on here. I'm okay with doing it solo, I see no problem with that. By the way if there are any thing my character's obviously missing I'd appreciate your input, like on the occult side of things, I don't really know what he should be carrying around for this craft.

Okay it will be very helpful if you are currently residing in or fairly near Boston MA --- sorry about that just going to need you to just generically transport your character from California to the Boston area or nearby area.

As for speed slowing down is good as the other player is still posting but is rather slow to post. If their speed -- once I have brought the two of you together -- is too slow then let me know and I will separate things out into 2 different stories

Oh don't worry about my charcter location, I'll make something up, shouldn't be all that hard and Allen's got the money for travel. We'll see then if it's too slow or not ;) for now I'm fine trying it out just tell me where I'll have to post and when.

Okay can you please out line the (1) How-Why you are in the Boston, MA area (2) How-Why you will be able to call it your base of operations going forward ?? I am not sure how that is going to work.

1 ) It would most likely related to his recent interest in the occult. I don't know what kind of plot you plan to throw my character into, but you could probably link some rumours he's heard to hint towards it. He would've slowly made his way towards Boston, basically crossing the US to get there hopping from cities to cities in his car. That would allow me to keep everything my character had in his possessions, but the piano and some artsy supplies that would not make any sense (aka metals, clay, woods).

2 ) Well that part's pretty much directly related to his drive. Since his researches led him over in Boston, he believes he'll find the muse he's looking for over there, and is determined to capture it on a canvas before he goes anywhere else. He'd be staying at a hotel for now, his economical situation allows for it. (Until proven that he'd be there for a long time, he'd see no point on renting something for a longer stay. Unless you feel like he should've been in the city for a while already.)

Problem is -- that puts all of his relationships back in California --- which all-things-considered would be extremely inconvenient. Not saying you have to but are you truly anchored on the idea of your character living in California -- or would it be possible to transpose him after getting started to coming close to the New York scene and ending up in or near Boston ?? I mean if we were to step into your background and make one single tweak -- putting that "cult painting episode having taken place in or near Boston -- I think that would be all the catalyst that would be needed to move him to the east coast -- then he could have picked up his relationships on the east coast and his sister could perhaps be going to Harvard.

No honestly it was just a random location I picked, I don't really mind moving it. Forgot the relations were important to you.I don't believe anything's really anchoring him to Cali appart from a few words.

Okay then I will play a bit with the background and move your base to the Boston area this week and get you started as well

Aevar

Okay look the following over -- I have tweaked a bit of the information and if you are okay with it then I put that into your character. If you want to tweak anything by all means do so. Just let me know one way or the other.

*****************************************************************************************************

"I dreamed of a world in stop motion, a world I could pause at will, if only to capture it's beauty." - Allen

The young boy saw the light of day in San Francisco, California. Extremely curious and fascinated with everything, the young boy already had made it an obligation to capture everything that fascinated him in a drawing. The peaceful and stress free setting allowed the boy to develop his passion for art while his grades dropped ever so slightly. His father and mother complied and pushed him further towards that path, helping him discover and learn about different forms of art before he settled on painting as a main hobby.

At the age of 15, his father died of a heart disease, which lead the boy to the hospital bed, material in hand. After a lot of arguing with the nurses and doctors present, the teenager managed to get some time alone, which he used to capture his father expression onto a canvas. The painting holds a very important significance to him even to this day. After this incident, his mother stopped supporting his choices as much.

"Don't you understand? That way he's immortal, he'll always be with me." - Allen

Money from his father allowed the now young adult to escape and get a home of his own. His mother had found a new dad for the family, but their relation was not as good as used to be, especially with this new step-father in the house. Painting and frugal smart use of his inheritance kept him afloat in a small house on the outskirts of town. Money was not really a problem, it was more of a way to prove that he could make a living for himself. As long as Allen got his work out in the world, he was happy.

Supernatural Encounter : A group from the east coast hired a young man to render a painting for them. It was fairly uncommon, but the group insisted to have their scene immortalized on a canvas and that he was the one for the job. Allen, not sure of why they chose him but not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, accepted mostly out of curiosity. He made the trip east via train, then motorcar to Innsmouth, Massachusetts. Everything was set up, they provided everything, very finely crafted brushes, vibrant colors, a somewhat weathered but fine canvas, an exquisite easel and a wonderfully crafted and rather comfortable stool. Then the show began.

What Allen saw that night still troubles him to this day, he remembered the brush seemed to almost move of its own volition which he had a feeling he would have been unable to stop even if he had wanted to. Further a seeming morbid fascination forced him to look upon what this group had given body to. He vaguely remembers panic, fear, denial, extreme agitation but is not sure if it was his own emotions or those of the ones around him or both. Still whatever they did, he had the sense they completed it and he had completed the painting. Still the thing that stuck most in his mind was the ease that the brush flowed over that canvas, with what conviction his strokes applied many different shades of blue, red, and black. He woke up later in a bed in Ipswich with an envelope of money and the inability to relive this experience, or even remember exactly what it had been. Allen tried to replicate the painting, to no avail. He tried to track down the people but they had seemingly vanished. What he did discover was that the group was some sort of cult, but what they had been summoning did not seem to be any books that he could find, or at least nothing that jogged his memory. Still he was certain if he say it again, he would recognize it.

He returned to California but he did not stay long, it was just to cheery and sunny there and he was now thoroughly convinced that if something was worth painting, it had to do with the occult. After this discovery, everything seemed coalesce in his mind, the vivid memories of the feelings from that night, seem to haunt his day and especially his nights. He sold just about everything and moved to Massachusetts, however it had taken a few years and by this time the town of Innsmouth had been quarantined due to some out break of some horrible disease. So instead he ended up in further south in the city of Salem. He bought a small 3 story house and set up shop. In a quest for inspiration he began to study the occult and went out of his way to learn from "the actual authorities on the subject", which meant he often carried a gun in his pocket just in case.

Kaethe Black : Younger sister -- Chemistry Student -- 20 years old -- Brown Hair, Green Eyes, 5'3" -- She is a short woman sporting a cheerful, bubbly personality which never seems to falter in public. My mother and the step dad thankfully still accept her under their roof, allowing her to focus entirely on her field of study. The only downside was that they could not see much of each other, especially not as often as they would have liked to. At some point Kaethe stopped believing in God, Allen suspects it happened when dad died or shortly after, it was then that she made the decision to devote her time to science. She sometimes even pushes this a bit further, by mocking the whole God idea when it is just the two of us. However, the issue of not seeing other was actually resolved by my moving to the east coast. Because Kaethe changed schools and began going to Harvard and this pleased both parental figures but only because they did not know I had moved to Salem nor it seems will they ever know as Kaethe pointed out to me when I asked her about it. She knows my house is always open to her, and she takes some time off during her very busy weeks to come and admire my new pieces of work. This whole family concept had kind of shattered when my dad passed away, with mother no longer supportive of the path I had chosen for myself. Now Kaethe's the only remnant of the love I once had for our family, she also brings hope to me that one day, mother will realize her mistakes. Her presence comforts me and makes my house feel once more like a home. Little sister also managed to teach me some tricks so that I could make some of my colors myself in exchange for my hospitality, so she says. I know it does not have anything to do with it. I have, of course, used her as a muse a couple of times, my favorite one's hang in the attic with some of my more personal work. Pieces I will never sell, no matter the offer

James King : Good Friend and Client -- Military Veteran -- 46 years old -- Black Hair, Slowly Turning Grey, Brown Eyes, 5'11" -- This large military veteran really surprised me at first. He's stern, rough, has obviously seen a lot of shit, and has a hard time taking no for an answer. His interest in my work really came as a shock. After seeing him hang around a few of my expositions, I finally broke the ice. Since then he has been a faithful customer, turns out that stern look hid a strong interest in art. We meet on a fairly regular basis, regular enough to be able to call the man my best friend. In a way he reminds me of my dad, with his subtle way to push and encourage me. He keeps me doing what I am doing, and it is reassuring to know my dad was not just one of a kind. Going to him for advice feels just like it did when I questioned my old man. Recently we have been hanging out more than usual, knowing my interest in the occult could drive me in some dangerous situations I asked him for advice and basic training. I actually, do have a painting of this man in my attic also. The painting really turned out great, and the man really liked the idea of being a muse for a couple of hours.

Arianna Lester : Former Perhaps Still Current Love Interest -- Nurse -- 23 years old -- Red Hair, Grey Eyes, 5'5" -- My relationship with Arianna has been... well kind of awkward, but I still consider the woman to be my best non-related female friend. We met at her job one day after a not so good incident with line of investigation I was pursuing occurred. We seemed to hit it off from there, she is incredibly charming, slightly introverted, logical, and keen. After a while I figured it was just not going to work and warned her of that fact, she just brushed it off and kept acting as if we were a couple. Her complete denial of the fact that we were no longer dating can sometimes make things overly awkward but for the most part things are pretty smooth. Anyway, I still like the girl, who seems to have commandeered my house more than I perhaps would really have liked her to for... well going on about a year now. I am not even sure if she has her own place or not any more. As such, she has become a part of my life, it is kind of reassuring to have someone at home. Even though we are not husband and wife, her presence allows me to focus on work and the development of my art instead of women or companionship or house chores. She has been a muse more than once, often at her own prompting. Of course I have hung my favorite one in the attic, with the others.

I'm quite astonished. I can't oppose any of these changes and to be honest, I'm REALLY impressed by your writing. Maybe it's just because I wrote that in the first place, but it's so obvious to me as to what's from your plume. You write fucking well, I really can't wait to start that roleplay and learn some things from you in the process!

Thanks for the compliment and I hope the game proves to be equally as fun. By the way if as the game progress you have any ideas or thoughts on something feel free to share them with me in The White Zone whether it be for you character, someone else's character or for the adventure in general -- I have been known to incorporate things from the players into the game -- granted often they do not recognize it until after the have finished encountering it ;) but there is that chance and I find players ideas can sometimes greatly enhance the game for one and all.

By the way I updated your history -- you painted that picture in 1927 and you moved to Massachusetts in 1929. I did not put month and day on either event as of yet but I may and if I do I will let you know.

Further the issue of the quarantine on Innsmouth is not generally known by the masses and strangely enough it got little press coverage at all. Some folks living near to Innsmouth know about it but those are about the only ones that seem to. The quarantine ended in 1930 but the town was basically a ghost town by then and pretty much remains as such. And those that do happen to still live there do not talk to strangers (pretty much defined as anyone not native to Innsmouth). And while its a tolerable place to visit, you definitely no longer wanted to live there. It is a great place for decaying landscapes but you have pretty much captured what you can of that place by now. Some of those paintings even sold and you do have your favorite stored in you converted attic. If you want to write something up about that, I will look it over and add my seasonings to it. But if you do you ought to read some of the stories written about Innsmouth first to better give you a solid feel of what that city my currently look like. Besides you might find the stories, enlightening and/or inspiring for this game. If you need a list let me know and I will put one together for you.

Well unless you give me a reason to, I don't think I'll be revisiting my character's background, but I'll keep that in mind while describing it if I have to refer it. I did play an old game called "Call of Cthulhu : Dark corners of the earth" on pc a couple of years ago. A good chunk of this game did take place in the town of Innsmouth so I have a vague idea of what it is, but it's been a while.

Well many of the Lovecraftian books (and the other authors of that genre) are now free pdf downloads and if not they will most likely be at your public library.

Besides having investigated the Innsmouth region the first story in that series might be quite useful : The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft --- If you take into account very little of it made out to be noticed or recorded for ease of consumption but maybe a few cultists might have been willing to share what they knew and/or heard.

Back