Conley Brothers

Camilla smiled back "He's new and exciting to them, their kids" she said, glancing over at them, fond of the kids, all three of them.

"I should try to get some books to teach them some higher learning," Vlad mused. "None of them will ever go to collage, but that does not mean they cannot learn."

"I could loan you some of mine" Camilla offered "Felix insisted I get some education so got me books and taught me what he could" she explained "I still have a lot of those books just gathering dust"

"Oh, that would be most welcome!" Vlad agreed enthusiastically. "I thank you greatly, though the twins might not be so overjoyed."

"Well... they seem to like a reward system so... we make it a game" she suggested "Make it fun for them" she said, looking over at the twins now "And I'd be happy to help"

Vlad dipped his head. "Thank you, Miss Camilla, but I cannot possibly take up more of your precious time. There are so many others who need you."

"Well the offer stands" she didn't push it, finishing her drink she leaned back to watch Claud and Star sitting in the cage together, it really was sweet. "Well... I know we are leaving first thing I don't want to keep you up late tonight"

"Please, may I help you clean up?" Vlad asked.

The twins had finished their dinners and walked over to the cage. "What are you doing in there, Star?" one asked curiously.

"Sure" Camilla nodded and stood up to start clearing the table off

Star looked over at the twins and offered a smile "Sitting with my friend" he said simply, seemed clear enough to him

Vlad helped her clean up, chatting about innocent things as they did so.

"Your friend likes to sit in the dark a lot," said the other twin. It was a simple observation to him.

Star nodded "it is what he knows. It's ok" Star said and shrugged a little, not thinking much of it "I like dark too"

"Light good too but hard for me to see in light... my eyes different" he tried to explain "But maybe I stay up and we play in morning for little?" he suggested, he did want to spend time with the twins too

"Yes!" The twins cheered. "We will get up extra early!"

"Speaking of extra early, we have to travel on tomorrow, so that means bed time for you two," Vlad said. He walked over to join them. "Come along, you three. It's bath night, and bedtime for two of you."

"Awe," the twins groaned but turned and waved to Camilla. "Thank you for dinner! It was tasty tasty!"

Camilla smiled "Anytime" she said, watching them a moment, company was nice.

"I come later, after others sleep" Star promised Claudius before climbing out of the cage and going after Vlad and the twins to spend a little time with them before they would be heading to bed

Vlad smiled as he ushered the three out. "Come along, little ones! One, two, and three. Hmm, someone is missing... there should be four. Oh yes! I forgot to count myself."
The twins giggled at the old joke, holding hands as they half skipped along, white hair bouncing and flying messily.

Claudius watched them go as he held the blanket around his shoulders. He looked forward to when Star returned.

In the shadows, Keith watched with great interest. He should tell Master about this latest development! But first, he wanted to see more of the little group. Maybe he could tell Master more about what they were up to without spying on Camilla. He slunk along behind Vlad and the three, watching them like a predetor watching prey.

Star giggled a little too, first time he had heard it, he followed close, glancing over his shoulder after a few minutes, he thought he felt someone watching them from the shadows, he moved closer to Vlad and shrugged it off as just being nervous again. He'd had a hard time going out too far from Vlad's wagon at night after being chased around through the shadows, his safe space that was no longer safe.

--

Camilla turned back to Claudius "I'm really happy you came out for a little while" she said "Unfortunately though we will have to pack up the tent in the morning, we're going to be going to a new place"

Vlad put a hand on Star's shoulder, not thinking much of it, most of his attention on the twins as he guided them home and into their nightly routine. He left Star with the twins to brush his teeth and otherwise clean up though Star wouldn't be going to bed as he went out to feed and check on the unicorns for the night. The twins got themselves ready for bed in a flash and sat on the bed talking excitedly to Star. Or more like at him as their words tumbled over each other eagerly.

~~

"A new place?" Claudius asked, instantly tensing. "Leave the circus?"

"No" she sat down on the stool agains to talk to him "the whole circus moves from place to place. We don't stay in one spot very long" she explained to him

"It is a moving village?" Claudius asked as he considered the thought. "It is an interesting way to live. It is..." He struggled to think of the word "opposite." "It is not like a cage."

Back