Conley Brothers

Felix clenched his jaw for a second "he is your brother clearly. You were not pleased to learn he is here. Why? Is he a threat? Need he be removed?" He asked, eyeing him as he took notice of his sister.

"Leon take her back to her wagon and see she stays there" he ordered.

"Felix, he's just being kind" Camilla spoke up. "If he is Vlads brother we should be welcoming not hostile" she scolded which took Felix off guard, she never spoke up against him in front of the others.

Kazimir paused and looked at Vlad, a glimmer of pain in his gaze. "You... you are not happy?"

Vlad sighed and ran a hand through his hair, making it stand on end. "Kazimir, no, it is not exactly like that. You surprised me. You know I do not like surprises."

"A very funny thing for someone who makes surprising people his business," Kazimir pointed out.

"Yes, yes, I know, but we have not seen each other in over ten years, and when we last parted..." Vlad let the words trail of, his gaze flickering.

Kazimir clicked his tongue. "It is all past, yes? I came to find you when I saw your image on a poster in the last city your troupe traveled past." He reached into a pocket and pulled out a tightly folded piece of paper. He unfolded it to revlieve a very wrinkled poster advertising the circus. "I saw... and...I wanted to find my family."

Vlad wilted a little. "I thought you went back with the others. Why are you still here?"

Kazimir shook his head. "Please, not yet."

Vlad bit his lip and looked at Felix. "He is my brother. If he would be a threat to anyone, it would be me alone."

"Camilla go back to your wagon" Felix didn't like to repeat himself, his eyes flashed to Leon, expecting him to do as he was told too. This was not a good start to his day.

He looked back to Vlad, still frowning "see it stays that way" he stated "he is welcome as we travel so long as he stays out of trouble" Felix said simply "

"Do you want me to watch him, Master?" Keith whispered to Felix. "Shadows follow him?"

"Come on. Mister grumpy pants is about to loose his head," Leon told Camilla quietly, trying to guide her away with his arm.

"Goodbye, pretty lady!" Kazimir chirped, waving. "You made my day lovely!"

"You are not helping," Vlad told him.

Felix gave Keith a nod "yes keep an eye on him" he said, it was no secret he didn't like strangers around.

Camilla smiled a little but chose not to anger Felix just now and went with Leon.

Spectra decided to wall over "Vlad, I can take the boys for awhile today. Let you and your brother catch up" she offered

"So... this is a fun new development right before moving out. I did not even get the chance to comb my hair properly," Leon grumbled to Camilla as they walked.

The twins tightened their grips on Vlad's clothing, hiding behind him like small children.

"Thank you, Spectra, but I will keep all three with me, I think," Vlad said. "It is better we stay together."

"Three? Three boys?" Kazimir asked. "Are you and this pretty lady family with children, Vladimir?"

"Your hair looks fine Leon" Camilla told him and smiled softly "we're only travelling today anyway"

--

Spectra laughed lightly at his assumption "oh no, we're friends and I just happen to be quite fond of his boys" she said.

"I can come by when we stop for lunch then?" She offered Vlad. Doubting Camilla would be allowed to come over to see them now. She'd want to know what was going on

"Yes, but you never know what interesting characters you might run into, and I always must have the best first impression!" Leon said, flicking his hair over his shoulder. "Like this... Kavamim...Kev... new fellow. I didn't even know Vlad had a brother." Not that he'd ever bothered asking to find out. "Vlad still looked like he would rather be anywhere else. What do you think is up between those two? And how does brother boy keep his hair looking so shiny?"

~~

"Of course!" Vlad assured her.

"It was so delightful to meet you!" Kazimir said, going in for a hug only to be pulled back by Vlad.

"Well if I'm ever allowed to speak to him again. I'll be sure to find out the secret behind his hair" she sighed. "You didn't tell Felix that Vlad visited me alone one night did you?" If he had she would have to go talk to Felix about it

--

Spectra smiled "I look forward to getting to know you better"

Leon paused, thinking back. "Hmm, no, I don't believe I did, though I was a little worried about you." He smiled at her. "I think you need a good deal of protecting, but I do think Felix goes too far. I wasn't going to infringe upon your privacy unless I really felt you needed someone to protect you from a big mistake. You are a big girl. Just... less experienced than we are, and we'd rather keep it that way. For wrong and right."

~~

"And I you, pretty lady," Kazimir said.

"Her name is Spectra, and we need to get ready for the road. We will be pulling out soon," Vlad said, pulling him away.

Camilla sighed, fidgeting with her ring as they walked "I appreciate how much you both care but you won't both be around forever...I need to be able to make mistakes and learn for myself...Vlad isn't a mistake though. He's a good friend and if that ever turned into more. That's my choice not yours or Felix's"

Leon shrugged. "I wouldn't be too certain we won't be around forever, but that's beside the point. A mistake like that in a tiny, close-knit community like this is a pretty big deal. Yes, you do deserve to make your own mistakes, I thoroughly enjoyed some of the mistakes I made... until it wasn't fun anymore... but if you make that big of a mistake here, you won't just hurt yourself and him. Keep that in mind."

She sighed softly "I know...but It's not anything to be concerned about now regardless...Felix has made it clear I'm off limits..." she shook her head as the neared their wagons "I need to see Claudius gets breakfast before we go..." an excuse to leave the conversation

Leon touched her shoulder. "Hey. Love us or hate us, whether we do things right or seriously screw up, we'll always be here for you, baby sister," he said gently. "Please don't forget that." He squeezed her shoulder gently. "Give me a yell if you need help with Claws."

She smiled faintly "I know Leon, don't worry. I could never hate either of you" she promised "just maybe frustrated sometimes" she offered a small smirk

"And his name is Claudius not claws"

Leon chuckled. "Claudius, claws, very similar, and he is covered in claws, is he not?" He waved his hand lightly. "I have to go prepare my things." He walked away, whistling softly.

~~

The twins climbed back into the wagon and huddled on the floor. They stared up at the window in the door, not saying anything, forgetting Star was even in the wagon - or probably was. Outside, Vlad was talking to his brother in low tones, the pair speaking in a language they couldn't understand while Vlad hitched up the unicorns.

Star peaked out from under the bed "what happening?" He asked quietly, he had heard the voices and sensed the tension which had sent him hiding under the bed

The twins jumped and turned to star at Star.
"Forgot you were here," Tim admitted. "It was a fright, but we are glad you are here."
"Vlad has a brother," Tam continued. "It was not a happy greeting. We do not know how to feel."

Star crawled out and went to the window, peeking out "well...we know Vlad keep us safe" he turned back to the twins "so we feel safe and see what happens and see how Vlad feels"

The twins shifted unhappily but nodded. "Yes, Vlad will keep us safe," they agreed.

Then Tam squirmed his way forward. "Star, do you want to play a game while we wait?" he offered.

~~

Claudius was far less comfortable. He stayed near his nest, crouched low, his claws dug into the wooden floor of his cage. Everyone was shouting and bustling about as they got things ready, and he felt exposed and vulnerable with nothing but a tarp between him and them. A tarp and iron bars, but Star and Keith had proved some people could fit.

Back