Dragons and their Slayers 1X1 {Pupper and L2W}

Ametrine shook her head. "No...this is on my head. And ...on the king. Something dark has taken hold of his mind. This is not the way of dragons." Her grief gives way to rage and she stands suddenly. He feels it. Her desire. She wanted to challenge the king, though deep down, both of them knew that would result in her death. The grief for her mate was still so close. It clouded her mind. If she could not have her mate back, she would have revenge on the one who'd slain him.

Merek fell backward as Ametrine suddenly stood to her feet, he was using her as a backrest and now he lie on the ground, somewhat dumbfounded by what had just happened. He sat up and looked at her, he knew that she was hurting but he also knew that people did stupid regrettable things in a fit of rage. "You need to think twice before you decide to storm the King of Dragons, Ametrine" Merek concluded. "You will only be killed before you even get to the King."

His face unexpectantly took on a serious note, "This is no longer just about you. By going there you're not only endangering yourself but the rest of your kin. If the King has truly lost his way, he will need to be dealt with before he puts more of your kind in danger and you will not succeed on your own. We need the rest of your kind, Ametrine... without them, we will fail and it will be for nothing." Merek finished, implying that he would join her in her war against the King.

Ametrine lowered her head, her ferocious rage subsiding somewhat. She knew he was right, yet still the pain of her loss demanded some sort of action. She looks over at him. "We..." She nods at him. Her life was no longer her own, it was bound to another's. Her actions would indeed affect more than just herself. "We need Cronos." She thinks suddenly. "Topaz...he was going to be the next keeper of histories...Cronos was his mentor. He'd know what to do. But his home is on the other end of this island. It would take at least a week." The thought of leaving her mate's grave sends another wave of grief over her. She laid back down next to his grave her head caressing the tombstone. "I'm sorry you are being dragged into this, Merek. I'm sorry you must suffer with me."

Merek was growing frustrated with her helplessness, primarily because he couldn't do anything about it. "Would you stop, don't apologize to me. You aren't dragging me into anything, I've willingly come every time. I want you to stop apologizing for that. We are connected now and we have to work together to not only ensure our survival but to stop this stupid war." The man didn't know what had come over him, he suddenly felt bad, once he again he was being ignorant. "Oh gosh, I'm sorry Ametrine... What I mean is, you needn't worry about me, I'm doing this out of my own free will. We should focus on what we need to do not one what we can't do."

He walked toward her and Topaz's grave, he placed a hand on the boulder and traced his inscription with his fingers. "We will make this right. If this dragon, Cronos, is who we need to seek to find our answers then no journey is too far." Merek truly wanted to help Ametrine, their bond was beginning to strengthen.

Ametrine lifts her head. His determination feeding strength into her own bones. "Then tomorrow we fly."
Two Days Later
Ametrine waited in the forest as Merek went into the nearby village for supplies. She'd given him a great number of gems collected by her dead kin. They no longer had any use for them, but he would require supplies she could not provide. In the meantime she'd hunted for the evening meal and had it cooking over a fire to be ready by the time he returned. While she was busy the grief faded into the back of her mind and she was able to focus on the task at hand. At night however, all the memories and buried feeling flooded in and she found herself nearly ready to give up all hope. She did her best to shield her new bond-mate from the onslaught of feelings, but knew by the way he'd stare at her or try to offer comfort that he still felt her pain.

Ametrine lifts her head as she sense Merek getting close. "Did you get what you needed?" She asks. A new handle on the sword of the king answered one question. With training and with his power as a demi-god infused with the mana of a dragon Merek would likely become one of the deadliest slayers on this island. Perhaps, one day, they'd both be strong enough to face the king and survive.

Ametrine had given Merek a number of gems to sell in the village in exchange for goods. He was reluctant to take them, as he knew what they meant, but her persisting insistence got the best of him. He wandered into the village and looked around the stores, collecting essentials for the long journey ahead of him. Walking past a window with beautiful scarves inside Merek stopped, backpedaled and found himself peering inside. I wonder if dragons like gifts... he pondered. Merek explored the satchel on his left hip and with his hand he could feel that he still had quite a bit of gems on him. I guess we can find out. He entered the store.

"WELCOME!" a boisterous voice roared at him from behind the counter.

"Good day, sir" Merek replied, "I'm wondering if you could help me pick something out."

"Oh-hoh-hoh... who may the lucky lady be?"

"Someone special to me and I would like to get her something nice."

"Well then" the clerk responded, "what is her favourite colour?"

"Her favourite colour..." Merek paused, he thought of Ametrine's beautiful purple scales and then remembered the colour of Topaz's hide. "If you have something blueish green, could you please show me?"

"Ah yes, of course. Right this way sir." The clerk emerged from behind the counter and showed Merek to a beautiful long blue scarf with a hint of green throughout it. The scarf was made from a soft material and it looked long enough that it would tie around Ametrine's ankle.

Merek looked at the clerk with a smile, "this is perfect, I'll take it."

==================

Merek returned to Ametrine and was met with a question, "In fact I did! Thank you for stopping, Ametrine." he could feel her studying him but he paid no mind to it. The man approached her and drew the scarf from his satchel. "I got something for you..." he held the scarf out for her to see, "but to be honest I don't know if dragons do this sort of thing. I just thought it might be nice, a reminder I guess... If you want I can tie it to your foot or I can get rid of it." The man was truly trying to be nice, it would appear that Ametrine had changed him.

Ametrine sniffed it then chuckled lightly at his suggestion. "I'm not certain it would be wise to put it about my leg. But I am grateful for the gesture. I look forward to add it to my nest." Its only when Merek is putting the scarf in his pack, she realizes the colors he'd chosen. Green and blue. In memory of Topaz. He feels her sad smile. "It'll be nice, to have his colors with me."

Merek sat next to Ametrine as they ate, listening to the wolves howl in the distance. "I think Topaz would have liked you." She says, staring up at the stars. "You may not be knowledgeable about the histories like him, but you share his passion...to do what's right and protect those you love." She snakes her head around him, her snout coming to rest right next to his arm, her purple eyes glittering in the fire-light.

Merek seemed confused as to why it wasn't a good idea to tie it to her leg but nonetheless he placed the scarf back into his satchel. Well that was stupid of me. Dragons don't like these things, maybe next time I should bring her a fancy fish to eat instead.

He sat happily on the cold hard ground, enjoying his dinner. He listened to Ametrine's expression of Topaz liking him, Merek's face tangled in an odd expression. Merek looked down at Ametrine's head next to his arm, the two of them had really grown to trust each other in such a short time frame. He believed it something to do with their bond, as normally he was weary to trust anyone. "I'm not sure about that Ametrine, another man gunning for his lady? Most human men don't take kindly to that, I only imagine it is the same with dragons." He joked but because Ametrine had bonded to him, a human male, a human male dragon slayer, his words carried a hint of seriousness to them.

"I think he would've appreciated the fact that I proved the histories right." She replied. "Besides, the bond we share is not the same as the one Topaz and I shared. That was one was forged from years of love, pain and conflict. No bond with a human could've affected it. Even in death...the bond remains. No other will have that same place in my heart as he did."

She had missed his humour and Merek sighed. It was hard for him to take situations seriously all the time and he attempted to lighten them with humour, however; his humour was too different for Ametrine to fully understood, right now anyway. "I was only kidding, Ametrine." Merek recounted, as if he was caught in a lie. "Where we do go from here, how long is the flight?"

"Oh..." Ametrine replayed the previous conversation trying to catch the humor...she didn't. Humans were still so strange to her. She glanced up at Merek from her resting spot next to him. "The ruins of Old Askar, the namesake of the Askar we have today. It's located on the other end of the island. Perhaps 5 to 7 days flight from here. Depending on weather and anything we might encounter. We should take the southern route around the island. Its a bit colder closer to the coast, especially this time of year so most dragons try to avoid it. There will be less chance of encountering the King's loyal soldier's that way."

"I guess I should've brought warmer clothes with me..." Merek exclaimed, hearing that their route would take them close to the coast at the time of year when the air had frost in it. "Is there a lot of King's soldiers?" he asked and then pondered his question, "actually Ametrine, can you tell me more about the dragon clans. I didn't realize there were different clans, humans always just pool them together in one big group."

"Hmm." A rumbling noise sounded in her throat. "There are four...now three, major clans on this particular island. We joined together depending the location of the island we most desired to live. What I'm about to tell you, must never be breathed to any other human. If our nesting grounds were to be discovered by slayers...well, you've seen what happens." Ametrine warns him, then continues. "My former clan was of the western hills. One lives in the ocean caverns on the southern coast. Another hides in the thickest parts of the Askarian forest and the clan the King is located in the Central mountains. Typically those in the clan of the king are most loyal to him and it ends up growing to be the largest clan for the duration of his reign as king which can last anywhere between 100 and 300 years.

The dragon king...is not like a human king. He is supposed to moderate peace and communication between all tribes. He'll also send dragons from one clan to the other if one is in danger or becoming too small. He manages the amount of hunting we do that we may not run out of food, especially during the winter months and other things like that meant to sustain life for dragons on the island. The king is also the one who can unite all the clans in an emergency...however, in a divided situation like this, he must find a way to convince the others to join him. Unfortunately, he is acting like a human king and attempt to force those of us who disagree to join his cause out of fear."

Merek listened intently, soaking up the information Ametrine was feeding him. He knew she must've trusted him heavily as the information she shared meant the death of the dragon clans should he turn against her kind. His face hardened as Ametrine told him about the dragon king. "Do you know what made the king change? If he is supposed to moderate peace and communication.. and unite your kind, something was sure to have happened for him to change."

Ametrine looked over at Merek, that familiar pain associated with her lost mate filling her mind again. "His mate and her eggs were destroyed by humans. Her body desecrated. That was four months ago. He wants revenge...I understand his pain."

Merek's eyes softened, "I don't know why dragon slayers would destroy eggs. There is no gain, no monetary value... we hunt to make money. I don't mean to sound ignorant, Ametrine, I'm just stating a fact. It doesn't make sense to me, there isn't a reason for it." He shook his head in disapproval, "I guess it doesn't matter... we probably should get our rest, we should leave as soon as we can."

"You truly do not understand?" Ametrine asks in amazement shaking her head. "What better way to slay a dragon than when its vulnerable and in its shell? There are some who do it not just for money, but for the sake of ridding all of Askar of Dragons. They mean to exterminate us. Another reason why so many dragons will follow the King in his war." She stretched. "You still have much to learn about us, Merek, just as I still have much to learn about you."
The next two days were spent flying, hunting and sleeping. They both wanted to get to the otherside of the island as soon as possible. Mid-day the third day, Ametrine smelled the air. "There is a storm coming. A bad storm. Pray we find shelter before it hits."
Sure enough 3 hours later powerful windy gales threaten to knock them out of the sky. For both their safety she lands on the ground, tucking her wings in close beside her. The winds are soon accompanied by violent freezing rain. Ametrine does her best to shield Merek, tucking him behind her wing. She offers to simply curl into a ball right where they were and let Merek get some rest in the shelter of his wings but he refuses, insisting that they find shelter for the both of them.

By the time a small cabin comes into view, both of them were exhausted from battling the storm. Ametrine especially was not well suited for walking along the ground for long periods of time. The lights were on in the cabin and a barn large enough for a dragon sat only a few yards away. They immediately headed for the barn and pushed open the door. Ametrine collapsed into the straw with a tired sigh as the cows and horses stared at her from their stalls. Her stomach growled as she looked at them with one eye. So tempting. She glances over at Merek. I hope the owner of this place doesn't mind a dragon in his barn. She chuckles wearily.

The winds suddenly picked up a cold chill to them and by the time Ametrine landed on the ground, it had turned into freezing rain. The rain drops were so big they resembled that of hail and pounded on Merek and the dragon. Instinctively, Ametrine provided shelter for the human with her wing as it umbrellaed over top of him. The dragon offered to stay awake as Merek took cover while the two of them waited for the storm to past, but there was no way that the man could let her do such a thing. He scoffed at her, "are you nuts!? You might be a dragon but you'll freeze, we are finding shelter!"

The two of them walked slowly huddled together in a random direction, hours seemed to have passed before they stumbled upon a small cabin off in the distance. The cabin had a warm glow emitting from its tiny windows and smoke was dancing above the chimney. Next to the cabin was a barn large enough to house both Ametrine and Merek for the evening, or at least until the storm passed. Once inside the barn Merek noticed the animals staring at the beautiful winged beast before them, he knew that they were not staring in awe but yet, were staring in fear. Merek caught her fleeting thought about eating them but it was so quickly gone that he did not pay it any attention. He barely heard her voice echo in his mind as he was contemplating what to do in case the owner of the cabin decided to check on his livestock during the storm. He turned to Ametrine with a serious look on his face, "I'm going to go check out who are most gracious host is, stay put and I'll signal you if I'm in any danger." Merek didn't give her a chance to reply before he vanished into the shadows beyond the barnyard doors.

Merek swiftly moved toward the cabin, staying beneath window height as he moved with grace. The man was adept at sneaking around, a skill he had acquired from man years of being a dragon slayer and a thief. He placed his back against the wood walls of the building, softly moving toward the window, inching ever so slowly. Merek turned his body, placing his stomach against the side of the building and gently raising his head to glance through the window. His eyes peered over the sill and into a room swallowed by candlelight; there were mountains of texts spread across several tables and old tapestries pinned to the walls. Traces of a single person were obvious in the room by the goblet sitting on a desk and a wooden board graced by bread and cheese. Merek's mouth began to water at the sight of the food and his stomach grumbled, remembering that it had been awhile since his last meal. He knew that he wouldn't be able to hunt that night and thought about sneaking into the home to retrieve himself and Ametrine a meal for the evening. Common sense kicked him in the head and he continued to look for clues on who their host was and what kind of a person he was. Merek noticed that there were no hunting trophies on the walls and no signs of weaponry, what he did notice though were beakers filled with strange liquids and jars with herbs. A mage... or a wizard of some kind. But where is he? Did we trip some kind of barrier when we entered the barn, I'm sure myself of Ametrine would've felt something of that nature though.

A crash sounded from within the cabin and Merek dropped his head quickly to avoid detection. He could hear muttering on the other side of the wall, a male's voice. A young male's voice. He listened closely and determined the man was alone in the home. Merek slowly raised his gaze over the sill again to capture the image of a young man, approximately in his late teens to early twenties flailing around the living quarters attempting to collect papers and books in a pile on the floor. The crashing sound, he must've stumbled and dropped them. The man had medium length reddish brown hair and wore commoners clothes. "Oh gosh oh my, oh goodness.. Terrence what in GOD'S name have you done!?" the man spoke, his voice confirming that he could not be older than 21 but why was he alone? A magician, or a wizard, so young would be an apprentice. Merek noticed symbols that he recognizes from Ametrine's nest on one of the tapestries and retreated back into the shadows as the young man finally managed to struggle to his feet. Merek returned to the barnyard, relieved, confused, and weary of their host.

"It seems the man that owns this cabin is a young lad, I believe his name is Terrence, or at least thats what he called himself. He has no signs of weaponry in his home and instead his living space was filled with texts, tapestries, papers, beakers of different solutions, and herbs. He's clearly dabbling in the magic arts, of what kind I don't know..." Merek trailed off, picturing the symbols on the wall, "I did notice some draconic symbols on the wall, which to my understanding could only be read by dragons and wizards of the highest order. Men his age involved in magic are usually apprentices, it's strange that he is alone and he is working on such intricate pieces. I think it's best we keep our guard and take turns sleeping, who knows what this kid is capable of." Merek spoke with a seriousness that Ametrine had not seen since the day they met when they faced the Prince together. She had almost forgotten that he was a warrior at heart.

Ametrine noted the symbols in his mind. "Strange. Those are symbols of change and growth...often used when referring to when a dragon shed's its scales to allow new, large, stronger scales to take it's place." She shifted nervously at Merek's serious tone and feelings of wariness. "We'll leave as soon as the storm abates. But, you really shouldn't spend your night in a barn. See if he'll put you up for the night and feed you. You still have some of those gems with which to pay him. Just...don't tell him I'm here."

Merek looked disapprovingly at his bonded companion, "I don't think that is the best idea, Ametrine. A lot could go wrong..." it was clear he was being protective, she would be able to sense his concern for her.

Back