Dragons and their Slayers 1X1 {Pupper and L2W}

Ametrine nodded and stretched out in the hay. "If this storm lasts more than a day, however, you may have no choice. I know human bodies require more feeding than a dragon."

"And what do you expect for me to even say?" Merek questioned, moving toward her. "Hey there kiddo, why don't you let me stay here for the night, nothing suspicious is going on at all."

"Is it not common for humans to pay for food and bedding in homes other humans own?" Ametrine asked curiously.

"Not during these times and especially so far away from any civilization. Not to mention, Wizards do not trust easily... If I'm to go in there we need a game plan, it won't be for nothing. I will not leave you out here to be discovered and caged like some animal." Merek stated defensively.

"I appreciate your concern." Ametrine yawned. "I leave you to deal with your kind as you think best." She looks at him with her round purple orbs. "It is so strange to think that less than a month ago you would have killed me. And now you are willing to defend me with your life."

Merek's thoughts stuttered at Ametrine's reply and he didn't know how to respond. He averted his gaze, realizing what she spoke of was completely true in every sense. He felt a new found responsibility for her and his compassion for the dragon grew every day. "Just stay safe, OK? We still know nothing about this kid... as I learn more I'll send you a message."

"You as well, my bond-mate. It would be as equally painful for me to lose you as the other way around." Ametrine lays her head down and despite her best attempts to stay awake a little longer, her mind fades from his as she falls asleep.

Terrence was fumbling around in his living quarters, looking through various texts and papers. He scribbled things down in a flurry and moved over to the tapestry to examine it. "I'm never going to get this..." he spoke to himself. "OH!" the young man quickly flew to the opposite side of the room, searching for something specific on his desk until a knock came at his door. The young man's head stood up with alert at the noise and he stood completely still, like a deer who had just been caught by his predator. Who...? Terrence began to walk toward the door, passing his table of bread and cheese. He stopped in his footsteps, backtracked and picked up the butter knife on the table, firmly grasping it in a manner that made it obvious he had never held a knife before. Terrence continued to his door and placed a shaky hand on the knob, he swallowed his fear and pulled open the door. The young man was shocked to find a soaking wet stern-faced male staring back at him.

"Well" Merek exclaimed, "Aren't you at least going to say hello?"

"OH! Oh, yes, right of course. Hello, what might you be doing on my doorstep?" Terrence replied, completely oblivious to the storm outside of his cabin. "And why are you so wet, sir?"

Merek cocked an eyebrow at the lad, "you can't be serious, can you?" the words had escaped him before he could filter his response.

Terrence appeared shocked at the man's reply, how could someone be so rude? "Sir?"

"There's a terrible storm, I was passing by and got caught in it. I would really appreciate if you could put me up for the night." Merek continued while pulling out a couple of gems from the satchel on his hip, "I can pay you."

Terrence's eyes widened at the jewels in Merek's hands and without saying a word, he picked one up and returned to his living quarters muttering words under his breath and leaving the door open.

Merek peered inside the doorway and looked in the direction Terrence had gone, cautiously he stepped inside. "Is that a yes!?" he shouted out.

"YES, YES. Please do come in. Sorry, my name is Terrence. Just shut the door will you!"

What an odd fellow... Merek thought to himself as he dried his feet at the door, leaving his boots on in case he would have to leave with haste and moving into the living quarters to marvel in the piles of books, papers, tapestries, beckers, jars, and now Terrence, huddled over the gem in his hand with a magnifying glass. Very strange indeed....

"This! This is incredible!" Terrance spun around holding the gem up and rushing back over to Merek, almost in his face. "Where did you get this!? Have you been to their nests! You must have! Oh, tell me all about it! Do dragons really sleep among the gems to regenerate their health? How did you steal one without being caught!?" The odd little wizard asks in rapid fire excitement.

Merek took a couple quick steps backward as Terrence ran at him with excitement and showered him with questions about the gemstone he had taken from him. "Slow down, kid. You're talking nonsense" he tried to brush it aside, attempting not to give away unnecessary information and potentially put Ametrine in harm's way. Terrence continued to sling questions at Merek one after another, making little to no sense. "My name is Merek by the way"

"Did you know that Dragon's mana pools are so large that they require proper nesting areas filled with gems like these to replenish their stores once they drop to a critical level!?" Terrence ignored Merek, "also, also, also!" he quickly spun around and moved to the other side of the room pointing at the tapestry, "it says here that dragons shed their scales, just like snakes shed their skin! But it requires mana to do so." His face turned back to Merek with excitement "It is all connected, don't you see!?"

Merek stared at Terrence blankly, "My name is Merek by the way."

Ametrine. This kid knows a lot about your kind... please hear me.

Ametrine blinked her eyes open wearily. The cold from the storm had sapped her strength and she'd hadn't had the time or proper nesting to replenish her mana supply from all the flying. And now she was being woken yet again from what precious little sleep she'd been getting. She looks around. Apparently Merek had decided to risk the mage after all. She knew his own needs were greater than he'd been letting on. "What is it, Merek? Is he a danger?"
Terrance continues rambling excitedly then turns back towards Merek suddenly as if seeing him for the first time. "Oh, a visitor. How rude of me." He snatches up Merek's hand and shakes it. "Terrance. Terrance Nightengale. Great, Great, Grandson of Harris Nightengale. Greatest wizard of our day!" Terrance dropped Merek's hand. "Did you know he discovered a way to turn a dragon into a human and a human into a dragon!? INCREDIBLE!" He exclaims throwing his hands in the air. "Oh, oh, you're wet. Sit by the fire. Are you hungry? Dragons only require one large meal every few days but we humans are much weaker. It would be splendid to be a dragon wouldn't it? Speaking of which, you MUST tell me how you came about this gem."

Merek's hand was violently shaken by the excited child as he rambled on about who he was and what he was doing. The man tried to keep a blank expression as the words flowed out of the lad's mouth a dragon... into a human!? and a human into a dragon. That can't be possible. Merek moved further into the room, following Terrence as he bounced from place to place offering all of the information on dragons he had. It was clear the youth was excited by his work and being the son of the proclaimed Harris Nightengale, Merek was having trouble believing the twerp in front of him was related to the most well-known wizard in all of Askar. Terrence flurried over to him as he approached the bread and cheese on the table.

"You must sit!" the boy said as he somewhat pushed Merek into sitting down by walking absurdly close to him. "Have as much as you'd like!" Terrence quickly turned to find the jewel he had placed down once more time, "OH! Right, I forgot. You are so wet, let me get you a blanket" the boy shouted as he ran into another room.

We have a prodigy on our hands, Ametrine. I'm not sure if your kind knows of a warlock by the name of Nightengale. This is his son, Terrence. Tell me something Ametrine, have you ever heard of dragons being transformed into humans and vice verse?

Nightengale? Harris Nightengale? Ametrine's head shot up in amazement. Of course I have! Its one of the greatest taboo's a dragon or human can perform. Turning into one or the other...its not natural. However, Topaz did tell me stories of how in the days when humans and dragons bonded they would become as close as mates, only they could not become mates being that they were of two different species. So they'd gather coins or gems and pay for Harris Nightingale to change one or the other permanently so they could be bonded together. Merek feels a wave of revelation wash over him from her.
The symbols...that must be why he's studying them. Its the closest symbol a dragon has to "changing form."

She's quiet a moment then Merek hears, Merek...try keeping the mental communication open while you listen and talk to Terrance. Perhaps I'll be able to hear what he says as well and offer insight as he speaks.

Merek thought dragons and humans permanently transforming into the other to become mates. What the child was speaking of was true, but why was he trying to accomplish it himself? I'll do my best; if you can't hear what he's saying let me know and I'll try focusing more. Be warned, Ametrine, this kid has been dropped on his head one too many times.

Terrence flew into the room with a blanket flying behind him like a cape. He swung it in front of him "TA DA!" the boy looked accomplished at his task. "Now where was I..." he contemplated momentarily before prancing over to the gem lying on the table. He sat down on an old wooden stool, "this is truly fascinating..." Terrence brought his magnifying glass over again, studying the gem as if it were a living organism. "Truly a work of art! THIS" he yelled, turning quickly on his stool and holding out the gem toward Merek "THIS HERE. Can be used to replenish even humans mana" he stated. "Is that why you have it? Did you get in a nest and steal a bunch of jewels so you can replenish your own mana!?" Terrence stood from his stool, excitement getting the best of him, "Does that mean you're some kind of magician too, what rank!? Are you a wizard, a warlock? Do you hunt dragons, do you kill dragons, do you just look at dragons!?" the boy began to inch toward Merek, dragging his stool with him, "did you know that dragons can actually talk to us!? Not actually talk with their voice, well kind of their voice I guess... but you don't hear it out loud! You hear it in your head as if it's your own conscience."

Merek stared at the boy as he rambled, slowly putting pieces of cheese and bread into his mouth and nodding occasionally. He could barely keep up, "Did you say the gem can replenish a human's mana stores?"

"YES! That's completely right..." Terrence was lost in thought once more, "OH! My. Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my. You must simply tell me where you got this and how!?"

Merek heard Ametrine's chuckle in his head at the boy's rambleing. Tell him...a dragon gave it to you in exchange for saving its life. We should be able to tell by his reaction if he is a friend or foe of my kind.

Merek suppressed the grin attempting to form on his face after hearing Ametrine's instruction. "A dragon gave it to me in exchange for saving her life."

Clank the jewel hit the ground as it fell through Terrence's fingers. The ginger haired boy stared at Merek in disbelief of the words that came out of the man's mouth. "A dragon?" he asked flatly, clearly in disbelief of the man sitting before him. Merek nodded confirmation at Terrence's question, "Yes. A dragon." Terrence continued to stare at him, his personality shifting from an excited child to an awe-inspired boy. "No way" he murmured.

"Well kid, it's true. Take it or----" Merek was caught off by Terrence quickly jumping to his feet with force strong enough to knock over the stool he was sitting on. "WHEN!?" the boy shouted.

"Pardon..?" Merek retorted.

"More importantly... HOW!?" he raised a finger to the ceiling, seemingly pointing at nothing. "How did you possibly save a ... a ... A DRAGON!? What were you doing in the first place!? Oh goshy almighty, you are the most exciting visitor I have ever had -- mind you, you're the only visitor I've had!"

Terrence picked up his stool and sat down once again, his feet tucked up on the supporting bar and his elbows resting on his thighs; head in his hands. The boy looked at Merek expectantly.

"Um? Why are you looking at me like that.."

"YOU MUST TELL ME SIR... UM.... MR. DRAGON SIR!"

"My name is Merek..."

Terrence sprouted from his position once more, knocking over his stool for the second time. He was at the other side of the room before Merek had a chance to realize the boy had gotten up at all. Merek studied the child as he looked around his room at all of the research. "You don't understand, Mr. Dragon sir. This is not just my work, it is my father's work, my father's father's work, and on and on and on..." Terrence's voice trailed off, the seriousness to his words catching Merek off guard. Merek sighed and sat up from his seat. "Well come on then."

Terrence turned to look at Merek. "Sir?"

"It would be easier just to show you rather than talk about it. But I swear to god if you try to hurt her... I will kill you." Merek's expression turned cold, a seriousness underlying the tone in his voice.

Terrance gulped. "Her who?"
Ametrine sat regally as Terrance gaped at her from the door. Hello Terrance. I am Ametrine. Thankyou for allowing us shelter from the storm." She nods to him. Terrance was so excited and stunned he couldn't speak. Amazing...something that finally shut him up. He approached Ametrine, hands outstretched, his mouth opening and closing like a fish. His fingers touched the tip of her nose, a whiff of smoke curled up around his hand. He suddenly shreaked in excitement, startling everyone in the barn. "You're real! A real friendly dragon! Oh, oh my gods, oh my gods. You're in my barn! You're not eating me! THIS IS BRILLIANT!" He suddenly begins circling her, observing every aspect. "Female! Nice size, gorgeous scales...only they are too dull. OH OH OH! Does that mean you're about to begin the molting process!? Oh, and look at these wings! They are beautiful!" He continues to declare excitedly, completing a full circle and coming back to her face. "You are absolutely beautiful. And you travel with a human! Does that mean...*gasp*...you're bonded with him!?"
"Yes."
"AHHHH! SHE SPOKE INTO MY HEAD!" Terrance danced with glee.

Merek stood back as he watched the boy examine Ametrine in wonderment. Terrance's shriek readied Merek's defenses, which quickly dropped when he realized the child was nothing but excited at the myth becoming a reality at his very fingertips. He chuckled at the boy's statement of Ametrine not eating him and took note of what he said regarding her scales. Molting process, like a snake... he thought, recalling what the boy had said in the cabin. To Merek's surprise, Terrance knew about the bond between a dragon and a human, but his seriousness fell at the shrill joy escaping the boy's mouth as Ametrine projected words into his mind.

"Terrance" Merek attempted to get the boys attention but it was useless, he was too busy now examining Ametrine's claws while mumbling utterances under his breath.

Terrance moved closer to Ametrine's face, he stared into her eyes. "This is the best day of my life..." his hand reached out to her mouth "DO YOU MIND IF I LOOK AT YOUR TEETH!?"

"Terrance, enough!" Merek interjected, Terrance swooped around to look at Merek with a puzzled expression. "Ametrine is not a thing to be examined. She's a hu--" Human... she's not human.. "She's a living thing with feelings and thoughts. Treat her with some respect, would you?"

The boy looked at him, seemingly not heeding caution to his words because he quickly spun back around to Ametrine "so how about those teeth!?"

"Relax, Merek. The boy is just excited. I'm used to humans reacting this way when they find out I'm a friendly dragon. Granted...he is much more excitable and knowledgeable than most humans I've met." Ametrine bared her teeth, uttering a soft growl. The glow of orange fire appeared in the back of her throat, the heat nearly seering Terrance's eyebrows off. The boy staggered backwards in amazement.
The boy spun to Merek. "You must tell me everything!" He demanded.

For the first time Terrance sat quietly, listening intently as Merek and Ametrine relayed the story of how they'd met and bonded, giving him just an overview of the basics while avoiding mentioning their mission or how the king dragon had destroyed her clan. The moment they were done his questions began anew. "Wow! Did it hurt? The bonding process? What happens when one is killed? I've heard the other will die from grief or heartbreak. What about your mana flow connection? How does that work? Have you ever seen one another's dreams while you were sleeping!?"

"That doesn't matter.. he's being completely disrespectful to you." Merek projected back. "We must remember, this boy is a Nightengale."

The two of them told Terrance the story of how they had met, bonded, and traveled. Terrance sat still for the first time since they met but the peaceful silence did not last long as he slung questions at them once again. Merek's eyes widened when Terrance mentioned a bond mate dying when the other dies. The man looked over at Ametrine curiously "Is that true, Ametrine? You told me that it was unlikely one of us would die."

"
WOW!" Terrance announced, "I could make groundbreaking research with the two of you! Dragons and humans, humans and dragons! Did you know long, long, long, LONG time ago, they two were friends like you and Ametrine are now!?

"Terrance, I have to ask. How do you know as much as you do about dragons? I know you have been studying them a long time, obviously.. but you're but a boy. How have you come to know so much at such a young age." Merek questioned.

"That's easy." Terrance responded, "but I think you should trade for that information Mr. Dragon sir!"

"...what do you mean trade?"

"I need help, you see."

"Clearly..." Merek muttered as he noticed Ametrine shoot him a look for being rude.

"I've been working my whole life to perfect the transformation magic!" Terrance announced proudly, "it was the work of my great, great, great, great, great, great Grandfather. The art has been lost a long time... but we live in a world of discovery and mystery!" the boy was no longer making sense. "AND! right now, the Earth is crying. Askar is lonely... Everstar is dying... and Shar is lost. The worlds need to unite again... the people and the dragons need to unite again... that's why... we must know each other in a way so intimate...." Terrance trailed off lightly, somewhat in a daze. Suddenly he caught himself, "OH! Do- don't don't! Don't worry about that, just a silly childhood fantasy of mine, you know how we kids are! ha...ha...ha... SO WHAT DO YOU SAY? Do we have a trade?"

Back