House of Madness

"Ouch, now that's a mess," Tinker smirked. "Why not take up work as a clown or something? Then all the messes would be funny."

Vlad finally remembered food and started eating again.

"Uh...no thanks, not much into the entertainment business," he swallowed another mouthful. "Plus, that can get dangerous."

Tinker gestured toward Vlad, who was smiling to himself as he moved his noodles around his plate in a busy fashion. "You'd have to ask him about that. I only work on cars, but he makes all the flashy stuff."

"Hmmmm, maybe," the bird said thoughtfully. He loved making people, but doing it 24/7 seemed a bit much. He enjoyed the average nine to five job, allowing himself to relax and have fun at home on the weekends.

"The mechanic I work for isn't hiring right now, not even a floor sweeper. Sorry," Tinker shrugged then attacked the last of her food with a vengeance.

"It's alright, I'll find something," Alexander smiled appreciatively. He wasn't certain when that would be, but he decided to remain optimistic.

Alexander cooed and chuckled warmly. He was more than grateful for everyone's hospitality. He'd be freezing outside if it hadn't been for them.

As everyone else finished their food, cleaned up their areas, and took their dishes to the sink.
"Who's turn is it to do the dishes?" Tinker asked.
"Well it isn't mine, I did them yesterday," Muir said.
Vlad held up a finger. "I believe it is my turn."
"Vlad, you did them two days ago. I don't think it's yours," Muir sighed. "I think it's yours, Tinker."
Tinker made a face. "Fine! But the newbie has to do them tomorrow."

Alexander giggled at their little argument as he put his dishes in the sink. They reminded him of brothers and sisters, the lot of them. "That's fine with me."

"I forgot to tell you," Muir said sheepishly. "Pendle does all the dinner cooking, so we take turns washing the dishes every night. You're automatically on the roster, but we could skip you once if you need a little more time to settle in."

"Of course it's fine with him because he's an awesome chap!" Tinker said, patting his shoulder as she passed.

"I think it is nearing time for me to turn in for the night," Vlad said. He paused with a frown. "Is it my turn for the dishes?"

Pendle rolled his eyes skyward. "No, Vlad, it is not. Off you go."

Vlad smiled and gave them a dramatic bow before disappearing. Pendle retired into the living room, taking up residence on the large chair and opening a heavy book.

"Awww, thanks, sweetheart," Alexander replied, blushing. He gave Tinker's back a soft pat and bid Vlad good night.

"Seriously, birdy, no sweethearts, honeys, or other terms of endearment unless we've been dating seriously for some time," Tinker warned as she turned on the faucet.

"He's just being nice," Muir tried to defend Alexander.

Tinker just muttered and started tossing a bunch of soap into the water.

Muir shrugged and wandered out of the kitchen, leaving Tinker to do whatever she wanted.

Alexander gave Tinker a quick nod before entering his room. He sat on his bed. He unlocked his iPhone and opened up a radio app. Switching to a pop station, he began to sing in a melodic, agile countertenor.

The day ended in a quiet way, everyone filtering off to their own rooms while Alexander sang. Pendle was soon the only one left. At midnight, he closed his book, put it away, and disappeared. The house, itself, seemed to fall silent, waiting for morning to bring it life once more.

Alexander hit the hay shortly after Pendal did. He buried himself deep underneath the covers, dozing off quickly. The bed was just as comfortable as his own.

Back