How Green Becomes Wood

"But she has been wrapped in bubble wrap. Not just since this baby's conception, her whole life. I know that we all think of her as this incredible, undefeatable force of nature, but she is disabled, Alec. We forget, but she is, and to the outside world, before anything else, she is blind. From her birth, she has spent every day in a world not made for her, facing the realities of her condition. Imagine I gave you a handful of bills, all intermixed. 1s, 5s, 10s, all jumbled in together. And then I asked you to give me seven dollars. You would be able to sort them, and give me the right amount. Something as simple as that, Daizi cannot do. And she will never be able to. Once she paid twenty dollars for a three dollar cup of tea, because she had the wrong bill, and the barista was dishonest, and she only learned about it later when she had to come home to ask me to sort her change. That's her reality. Despite all of that," He waved his hand, "she has succeeded in making a life for herself, something many people with her disability struggle to fully achieve. But do you think it has never stopped being frustrating? When she has to ask the server to read her the menu, or when she needs to ask me if her socks match? Or when I am asked if I am her carer? Sure, some days it rolls off of her, but there are days where it tears her up inside. It will break her heart the first time this baby asks her a question she cannot answer because of her disability. But it is her reality."

He paused, moving his chair slightly closer towards the bed, "And now she is pregnant, and the already limited list of what she can do narrowed further. She is forbidden from taking hot baths and lying on her back, simple things you and I take for granted. And as she and the baby grow together, it will only continue to tighten, because the bigger she gets, the harder mobility will be for her. Have you noticed how sometimes she runs out of breath doing things she could have done easily even a few weeks ago? And in the coming weeks it will be difficult for her to tie her own shoes. So imagine--your eyes do not work, at all, and you have spent your entire life coping with it, and learning to live with everything which goes along with that, and then the rest of your body starts fighting you, and makes simple things like getting up out of bed or off the couch difficult. Would you not enjoy the simple, normal activities like cooking dinner too? I know you just want her to be safe, and that you want the baby to be safe, and I want that too, more than anything I want that too, but we are not her doctors, and it is not our call. Absolutely she sometimes tries to do too much, and absolutely she can be better about accepting help, but sometimes we need to take a look at what she is trying to do before trying to dissuade her. Cooking is not strenuous, and there is a middle ground between your extreme and hers. You could have offered her a stool so she could cook while sitting at the counter, instead of standing over it, for instance. Because I know her well enough to know these months are longer for her than they are for us: she is never separate from her reality."

Alec looked at Dark sadly. "How can I ever offer her anything, any kind of help, even so much as a stool when she refuses to hear what I say?" he asked softly. "She understands me better than nearly anyone, but when it comes to me talking about her, she shuts me out. She's too busy listening to the echoes of her past to hear what I am really saying. So I say it louder. I get more frustrated. I don't want an extreme, I don't want her to do nothing, I want her to hear me." He turned away. "But, no, I'll never understand her. Because I'm not blind. Because I'm not a girl. Because I'm not pregnant. So I can never understand her. I can never do right. I can't. Help."

Dark inhaled slowly and leaned back in his seat. If it weren't a rolling chair, he would have tipped it back on its legs, but since it was, he simply stretched out his other leg, and allowed himself time to think. Alec's question was not an easy one to answer, "I think," he said at last, looking up at the ceiling, "you need to start by keeping in mind both how difficult this is for her and that she would never do anything to hurt that baby. If she got a call from her doctor right now telling her she needed to go on bedrest until her due date, she would do it. She would hate it and spend the next four months lamenting the loss of her freedom, but she would not fight it. So whenever you try to tell her she will hurt her if she is not careful, she is going to shut you out, because she understands that better than any of us. Remember, when her morning sickness was at its worst, the reason she was hardly eating was because physically she could not keep food down, not because she had taken some stubborn stance against it. Out of all of us, Alec," he looked at the teenager again, "you should be able to empathize with not being able to eat, even if you want to, or even if you know you should." He let the thought linger for a moment, and then continued, "and I still think, asking her if she needs help is better than getting up and telling her what she needs. In most cases, it is her job as an adult to meet you where you are at, but with this," Dark shrugged, "we are talking about her health, and her comfort, and how she feels, so you have to try to meet her. And you need to trust her."

Alec flinched when Dark brought up eating. He turned slightly, putting his shoulder toward Dark. It was too much. It cut too deeply. It felt like something Dark was holding over his head, not a reasonable comparison Dark had meant it to be. It hurt that Dark would bring that up. What was worse, he felt he had asked Daizi. In the beginning he'd tried to be attentive just like Dark had told him and offer help instead of assuming, but she'd turned him down more often than she'd accepted. He'd tried to make it obvious he just wanted to help, but she only ever seemed to interpret it as he didn't think she could do something. She gave and gave and gave, but she wouldn't let him give back.

"Alright. I understand," he said woodenly. "I won't try to help her anymore because it only hurts her. She and you know best, and so do the doctors."

He gripped his hands together, angry, hurt, and lost. These were Xander's emotions, not his! He just wanted to help! Why wouldn't anyone let him help? He was useless in this family! Nothing more than the comic relief who caused more trouble than he was worth. He just wanted a job to do, a way to contribute, but no matter what he did, he spoiled it. He couldn't even help a pregnant woman without getting a lecture on how he was doing it all wrong.

Dark rose from his seat and sat beside Alec on the bed. He put one hand on the teen's back, and slowly rubbed it up and down, "Alec..." He murmured, "You need to remember she is not herself, okay? The baby makes her emotionally unsteady--but I know she appreciates you when you try to help, even if she doesn't always accept it, okay? Daizi..." He sighed, pulling Alec close, "Daizi has been very insecure, lately. Do you remember what I was saying the other day, about how it bothers her that she cannot spend as much time with you as I can? She is insecure, right now, and anxious, and she is afraid of seeming weak with you. And do you know what? She does not even like when I try to help her. You are not hurting her, Alec, her hurting is inside already."

Lightly, Dark kissed the top of Alec's head, now rubbing big circles on his back. Gently he asked, "Maybe you should try telling her how you feel? I know you tried to downstairs today, but you were both frustrated with each other. But even though she can be like a wounded animal in a trap sometimes, she is not illogical, and she loves you more than anything, so if you talk to her--calmly, and focusing on yourself, rather than about her--she will listen."

Last edited:
Alec flinched a little at the touch, not having fully expected it, and the little kiss nearly undid him. He closed his eyes tight to keep from crying, trying to force himself to stay calm and steady. He just wanted to show Daizi he loved her, but it seemed like that was a far more complicated desire than he'd ever anticipated.

"I don't know how to tell her how I feel," he admitted. "I feel it too much, and I get illogical. I just want her to know I don't see her like that. I just want... I want her to know I love her as much as she loves me, I think, but I don't know how to say that."

"You do not have to know, or know exactly. Even something as simple as, 'Daizi, I love you, and I worry about you, so I want to try to help you because I want your life to be as easy as possible,' is a good start to the conversation." He held Alec tighter, wrapping his other arm around him, "There are some things I think you should avoid saying. A big one is 'I do not trust you to know your own body,' because even if you do believe that, nobody would take hearing it well, least of all a pregnant woman. Also telling her she should just be a goddess to be worshiped probably won't go over well, since right now she is insecure, and wants to feel like everyone else. It is probably easier to say, 'I want to help take care of you,' and then explain why."

Last edited:
"Because I want her to feel as loved and looked after as I feel," Alec told him, mumbling a little in Dark's hug. "I just... I know she says it's not right an unfair, but I wish she could see herself the way I see her, for just a second, even if it's not real. She's just so amazing, and it's... it's an honor to be her son. I want her to know that, but I don't know how to tell her without her seeing it as me only fantasizing."

"All you can do it tell her," Dark said softly, "You cannot make someone understand you, but as long as you are being honest, it is a start. And I am sure if you tell her you feel like her son, that will carry a lot of the burden, I think it will make her feel very special. Because she is amazing, out of everybody in this world, you never have to work to convince me of that."

Alec took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I just wish I was better at communicating," he said quietly. "Xander always says I'm the better one, but I just... I don't feel I'm good at all. I try to compliment someone, and I end up insulting them. I will try to tell her what I mean."

"That is all you can really do," Dark told him, still rubbing his back, "and I do not think she will be insulted... Knowing her, she was only upset today because she probably felt like you thought you knew better than her about her own health, so if you do not try to make those statements..." He smoothed Alec's hair, "It will be fine. And communication takes work, nobody is born an expert at it. Nobody is an expert at it."

Alec didn't feel much better after that, but at least Dark knew he wasn't trying to be mean. He didn't mean to try to control Daizi, he was just afraid for her. Afraid for the baby. Afraid because... he didn't trust her. She kept saying she knew her body best, and her doctor knew, but he couldn't shake his memory of the time when she'd passed out and they'd gone to hospital. It'd been a mistake, something that had happened because she was trying to make things easier for the pair of them, but what if that was what she was doing now? Trying to make things easier? Trying to ignore the difficult things because she was already dealing with so many difficult things? He was scared. Scared of going to the hospital again with her. He knew he shouldn't be, he knew this was nothing like back then, but as was normal with irrational fears: they couldn't be rationalized away. He might be being irrational and silly, but he couldn't find an outlet for his fears to relieve them.

Gradually, he pulled away from Dark. "I'll try to talk to her later. If she'll let me. I'll try to take what you said and apply it properly."

"She will let you. Daizi does not hold grudges," Dark replied, standing up, "when dinner comes, you should go tell her. If you are ready for that. I would check on her, but..." He sighed, glancing towards the door. She said she wanted to be left alone until dinner, so he would listen. But that didn't mean he didn't want to check.

Alec nodded. "I understand. I'll try. I promise. You should go do something for yourself. You've had a stressful day." He wanted to curl up and just be alone for a bit and not think about anything at all. Or overthink everything. Probably the second one.

He shrugged his shoulders, "Maybe. It is okay, Alec. Nothing today would have caused a rift between you two. You do not need to have fears about that. By tomorrow everything will feel just like yesterday."

"I hope so," Alec sighed.

Just then, the alert on Xander's phone went off. He jumped, and if the loud ringing wasn't enough to let Alec and Dark know about his presence, his shoulder and elbow banging into the door definitely ought to have given them a clue. He grabbed his phone and frantically poked at the alarm to get it to turn off.

Alec stared at the door. Then he got up, went to the door, and opened it. Xander tumbled over backward and lay on his back staring up at his brother.

Xander held his phone up. "Food's here," he stated calmly as if he wasn't laying on his back on the floor. "Should probably go get it."

"It will," Dark had just begun to say when Xander made his presence known. All things told, he couldn't really get frustrated with the kid for eavesdropping--of course brotherly concern was going to win out. Although he still felt there was some virtue in playfully admonishing him, so turning towards the door, Dark rather flatly told Xander, "You might have knocked," before turning back to Alec and saying much more gently, "It will. Daizi and I have fought, even about this, more times than you can count, and there has been no love lost between us. Family means driving each other insane. And you are much younger than I am, so she will be far more understanding with you."

He squeezed Alec's shoulder one last time and then left the room to recieve the delivery.

"Really?" Alec asked Xander, raising a brow at him.

Xander shrugged, still on the floor. "I like to receive my information firsthand instead of waiting."

Alec bit his lip, refusing to smile. When he felt he could speak without smiling, he said, "You could have come in and joined in."

"Maybe, but that would have been an awkward interruption," Xander said. He rolled over to his knees and pushed himself up to his feet. "Want food?"

"Not really," Alec said, but he followed Xander out and downstairs to help Dark.

"A more awkward interruption?" Dark asked coolly as he went.

Downstairs he paid the delivery driver and then brought the food, thankfully packaged into two neat boxes, inside the kitchen, and was setting them out on the counter, separating them between what he knew he and Daizi had ordered, what he presumed was for everyone to share, and what he thought was probably for one or both twins.

Daizi, even at the knock, remained firmly ensconced in her bedroom with her dog.

Xander and Alec joined Dark at the dinner table and started poking about in the boxes and checking out what Xander had ordered. Xander looked delighted by the food, but Alec was less enthused. Even so, he helped set things up and prepared to eat whether he wanted to or not. He knew he had to eat something. He'd get into trouble otherwise, and he did prefer the energy he had when eating regularly. It was just hard sometimes.

"Where's Daizi?" Xander asked once everything was ready. "I guess she didn't hear the delivery. Should I go get her?"

Back