How Green Becomes Wood

Dark slowly began to rub Alec's back, still keeping his voice gentle, "You do not need to apologize. You wanted to try makeup, that is perfectly okay. There is nothing wrong with that. I wish you had come to me so I could have helped you, I like to wear eyeliner sometimes, not that much, anymore, but..." He slouched down lower so he was even closer to Alec's size, "why were you in the closet?"

Alec dared to turn his head just enough to peer at Dark with one uncertain eye. He wasn't in trouble? He wasn't going to be yelled at or shamed? Dark understood? Just like that? He even willingly admitted to wearing it himself? He was the most manly person Alec had ever met, and he wore makeup. Alec lifted his head slowly, soothed and encouraged by the rubbing hand. "I... I didn't want to be there." He looked away again and took a deep breath. "I was... Others encouraged me to be there. After I... I hit one of them with my backpack." He looked down, deeply ashamed. "I'm sorry."

"Encouraged you how?" He asked, looking at Alec empathetically. His expressions, which were never easy to read, were for once perfectly clear. His entire face was overcome with concern, "and why did you hit one of them with your backpack? What has been going on?" He still kept his hand on his back to comfort him, although unlike Daizi he did not immediately pull Alec into his arms--although, if the boy initiated, he would not pull away from him.

Alec hesitated. A part of him wanted to tell Dark, wanted to return the honesty Dark had shown him, but old habits were hard to break. Telling the truth only led to trouble in instances like this. If he told now, he could be in so much trouble later! Was it worth it? Was it really worth it? He lifted his head and started to murmur something speaking before he'd fully made up his mind. "There was... they were... someone was saying mean things. Mean things about you and me and other students," he stammered unhappily, not looking Dark in the eye. "I was upset because of the glasses and... things. I got mad and tried to hit them with my backpack. I shouldn't have done that. It's my own fault. I shouldn't have tried to hit them. I knew they'd be mad. They put me in the closet because I tried to hit them. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have hit them."

Dark waited for Alec to finish talking and when he did, he said, "No you should not have done. But every person has their breaking point, and it sounds like they were working to push you to yours, and it does not excuse them locking you in the closet." All things considered, swinging a backpack at someone when you lose your temper was better than going straight in with swinging fists. And it was the first time Alec had ever gotten in trouble like this, so it wasn't like Dark could be angry at him--he wasn't even angry at Xander when he got suspended all those months ago. But what was it with students in the school insulting him to his kids? He would have to talk to the other students with children who attended the school, because if this was a common problem, and his baby was born successfully, then he was not enrolling them here when they were old enough.

"In the future," he continued, "if you get angry like that again, there are other ways to process it, but we can discuss that later, okay? Because, unfortunately, people were awful, and when they see you get upset like that, then they will just want to be cruel to you some more. I did not believe it when I was your age, but it is true. Do you want to tell me who they were?"

Before Alec could answer, the sound of pounding feet rang through the hallway leading to the office. Seconds later, Xander burst through the doorway like a red-headed avenging angel in a torn shirt. "My fault!" he half yelled, half gasped. "It's my fault, not his!" He leaned over, wheezing as he tried to catch his breath. He lifted one hand in a vague wave. "I take the- I take the blame. It's not Alec's fault. Not his." Both hands went to his knees, and he gulped in some air before straightening and looking around. "Wait," he frowned. "She's not even here!"

Alec just stared at his brother in shock.

When Xander rushed in, the sound of the door slamming against the wall immediately made Dark tense in a similar way to how Xander had back in December when Dark was trying to clean his ear. Then he turned to see the other teen, and said, blinking slowly, "I suppose I should have expected you."

Then he stood up and indicated to the now empty chair besides Alec and said, "I suppose you should take a seat, too, I am sure Bernice is bound to storm in hear and start yelling at all three of us."

Xander gathered himself, seeming to literally bristle. "It's not his fault," he repeated firmly. "It can't be his fault! Have you ever heard of Alec getting into a fistfight? There's no way!"

"Fistfight?" Alec repeated softly.

"Yeah!" Xander glanced at his brother, uncertainty stealing some of his thunder. "Isn't that what happened?"

Alec shook his head.

"Oh. Well, that's what Logan is running around telling people, that you came at him, fist flying, and he feared for his life you were so ferocious." Xander snorted. "As if a lug like that loser even knows the definition of 'ferocious.' Anyway, he's telling the others that he got away, and only you got in trouble for threatening behavior." He glared at Dark. "So what did happen?"

"Okay, Xander, sit down. Breathe. Alec is not in trouble with me, and I am going to make sure he is not in trouble with the school." Dark said, leaning against his boss' desk. He looked at Alec to make sure the red-head was okay with him sharing what had actually happened, and then said, "he was believed to have been skipping class, but that was not true. Everything is okay."

He wanted to leave it up to Alec to divulge the greater details about what had happened but was now more focused on making sure Xander did not fly off the handle and make the situation worse. In retrospect, it was obvious that with Alec being in the principal's office, his brother would make his appearance, but his temper complicated Dark's attempt to gather information. Xander's arrival, however, did come with one benefit: his mention of Logan made it pretty obvious to Dark who threw Alec into the closet. Although Dark was staying incredibly calm because he didn't want to ratchet Xander up, inside he was annoyed with how that kid was causing more trouble for his without facing any consequences. Later that day, when he was home alone, he would reflect on the thought was about to have with abject terror at how ancient he had become, but hearing that name, all he could think was he was going to have to have a meeting with that boy's parents.

Xander growled and grumbled, but he did sit down and crossed his arms. He was obviously simmering, and with his own spiky mop of unbrushed hair, the comparison to a volcano was a little too easy to see.

"Logan said I tried to fight him?" Alec said quietly, hurt in his tone and eyes. "That I scared him?"

Xander took a deep breath and tried to mimic Dark's calmness. He didn't even come close, but at least now there wasn't smoke coming out of his ears. "He was making it sound like you started it and he was defending himself. Don't worry. No one believes him, not even the smucks that actually like the prick," Xander assured him. "Did he stick you in the janitor's closet?"

Alec looked down and squirmed unhappily, but he saw little point in denying it now, especially not to Xander. "Yes. But it's my fault?"

Xander scowled. "How in every hell known to manmade religion could it possibly be your fault?"

"I hit him with my backpack for breaking Daizi's glasses. And said I was wearing this," he gestured at his eye, "to catch- to get the attention of a male teacher. Like some other students try to do. So I hit him. Then he and his friends put me in the closet because I was rude."

To hell with Dark's calm. Right after school, Xander was going to make certain Logan became well acquainted with a brick wall. "Good. I'm glad you hit him," he said bluntly.

It was impressive that Xander was actively trying to not combust from rage, and it might have been the most Dark could hope for at that moment. He couldn't judge him, Dark remembered being about his age and how much he would lose his mind whenever someone dared to something to Cooger or worse, to Daizi, because at least Cooger was able to fight back. And Xander hadn't gone through many, many years of therapy like Dark had.

"It is interesting to learn he is homophobic as well as racist," Dark mused, but then reiterated that it was wrong to have hit Logan, even if he was awful, and then asked, "how often does Logan bother you both? It seems as though it is always him who instigates the problems you find yourself wrapped up in."

"Oh, we're a couple of his favorites," Xander said dryly. "Not his only playthings, but his favorites. I don't know that he's fully homophobic or whatever, he just likes spouting crap he knows will get a rise. You know? Others mess with us too, sometimes, but he especially likes us because we don't have a rich mommy or daddy to complain. If we were the kids of somebody important, then he would have left us alone."

"Not that you're not important," Alec said softly.

Xander shook his head. "No offense, Professor. But he's got some ingrained habits now, and since most of the other teachers have to be nice to him, he doesn't think much of teachers."

Last edited:
"None of us have to be nice to him," Dark replied, "his parents do not pay our salary. But I do not need him to think much of me, I need him to stop terrorizing the school. And," he looked at Xander, "nobody says those sorts of things unless, to some extent, they believe them. Even if you want to upset someone." Some part of his mind wondered how Logan's head would spin if he learned about the wealth his wife came from, but then immediately felt shame about it because it felt like stooping to the bully's level.

He was about to say something else when finally Bernice returned to her office, demanding to know what was going on now. For once, Dark did not immediately begin to battle against her and instead said, "Bernice, it is very complicated, and I would love to talk about it with you privately."

Xander stood and moved to stand between Bernice and Alec. "Any punishment you want to dole out, I'll take it," he stated stoutly.

"No, it's my fault," Alec whimpered.

"Shh!" Xander warned. "None of this was your fault. Right, Professor?"

"Both of you, stop." Dark commanded, holding up one hand to them. Bernice huffed and came further into the room, arms folded across her chest. She glared at the three of them, until at last her gaze settled on the twins.

"You two, out." She barked, but despite her ferocity, Dark was pleased, because it meant she was going to give him time to speak to her alone. When the twins had exited, she sat across from Dark and neither spoke for a long while. Dark was having mild flashbacks to when he was in high school, except this time he had power, something he never had when he was a kid.

"What do you expect me to say?" Bernice asked at last, "Those kids are incorrigible and they get into more trouble than any other student at this school, and I can't keep giving them passes because you don't leave me alone if I refuse to, and you can't keep undermining my authority with them."

Dark rolled his eyes, annoyed by yet even more bias being shown by his boss, "There are so many incorrect things you said in that statement I do not even know where to begin. This is the first time Alec has been in your officer, so do not lump him in with Xander--who, by the way, has been doing so well lately and you cannot look at his recent record and pretend otherwise," He began to list off her mistakes on his fingers, "you are not giving them passes, you are giving them what they deserve, which is a fair chance, and I am not undermining you, I am standing up for the kids who you, for some reason, have entirely written off."

"A few weeks of good behavior does not automatically undo everything the rest of the year, and you know it," Bernice snapped, gesturing to her file cabinet, "do I need to talk you through every. Single. Infraction. on Xander's permanent record?"

"No, what I know is that those kids, and I really do not understand why I cannot get you to understand this, have come from an unstable home, difficult home. I don't even know the depths of what they have lived through, what they have survived. People brought up that way are not going to adjust as easily as those who come from loving homes because they have never had anything in this life that they did not have to go and fight for the right to claim as theirs," Dark clenched his hands. It was a difficult argument to keep having to make because every time he said those words he had to confront how he never had anyone to have that fight for him, and he refused to drop it, "But now, now they are finally in a stable home with people who actually give a damn about them and now Xander is doing better."

"And yet, Alec is doing worse. Where does that fit in your philosophy? He was skipping class."

"No, he was not. He was forced in that closet by that kid Logan, and if you do not believe me, check the hall cameras," He hoped Xander was not listening in, because he was sure he would never be forgiven for not going along with his intended lie, but Dark knew he was not going to get anywhere without telling the truth. So, he recounted the story as he understood it, "Alec borrowed my wife's sunglasses because he decided he wanted to try makeup--which, by the way, is not against the dress code, and if it is, then you need to march half of the girls in this school down to your office, as well as yourself--and I guess he did a bad job and was embarrassed and could not figure out how to remove it. Then Logan and his--goons, decided to take the glasses from him and break them and then accused him of wearing makeup to try to get male teachers to find him attractive. Then, yes, Alec broke and swung his backpack at Logan, and he already knows that was wrong, and you saw how apologetic he is, but that does not excuse Logan of lifting him up and imprisoning him."

Bernice crossed her arms, "What you are saying is that Alec reacted violently to a non-violent situation, and Logan responded."

Dark swore in Arabic, but not under his breath, "Why do always take his side? Go through Xander's record, see how often Logan is involved in his incidents. He has been bullying my kids their entire time they have been at your school and probably while they still were in middle school. You have done nothing about it, nothing. And you refuse to even acknowledge that there is a problem."

"That is not true."

"Really? Because unless you have magically managed to never send Logan to detention on days when I am running it, he has never once been punished, meanwhile, Alec and Xander are not even the only students he is cruel to," He wanted to lash out, more than anything he wanted to yell at her and tell her she was a natural fool who was terrible at her job and a vendetta against kids 'from the wrong side of the track,' but he was old enough to know that would not get anywhere. So, with a clenched jaw, he spoke honestly, "It is no secret that I do not like you, Bernice, but if you are so obsessed with whatever donation his parents give to this school, then--I will not respect you either. It is not just about Alec and Xander, Bernice, it is about Logan being able to get away with anything he wants and then punishing the students who cannot take it anymore."

"It is far more complicated than--"

"Bernice," Dark interrupted, and came as close as he ever had to raising his voice, "I am constantly being called down here if Xander so much as breathes in a way you find disrespectful. How often have Logan's parents been called in during the school day?"

"Well, they work--"

"And I literally work here, for you!" He inhaled and pulled himself back together before saying, "look. Send my kids back to class. Let Alec go with a warning. Xander is only here because he was scared for his brother, and not even you could fault him for that. Then call Logan's parents and set up a meeting--after their work day ends--because I will not let this go on any longer. Not as a foster parent, and not as a teacher. I want to sit down with his parents, and you, if you are brave enough, and talk to them, because it is only going to get worse, and soon enough, you will lose control of your school."

They fell silent again, once more staring daggers at each other, vying for dominance. Just like before, Bernice broke first, "Fine. But you let them know that I am watching them both, and you. I will not continue to be so lenient."

"No, I would not expect you to be." Dark replied, and then walked out of Bernice's office. Looking down at the twins, he said, "She said you can both return to class. Alec, she let you off with a warning."

Xander pressed against the door under the small window, listening intently.

"Should you," Alec began.

"Shh! He just brought up... no, he's not telling her that it's my fault," Xander whispered.

Alec inched closer. "What is he saying?"

"Shh, and listen for yourself!"

Alec huddled in close to Xander, and they both listened as Dark laid it all out for the principal. He wouldn't even let her get in an excuse edgewise! Xander couldn't hide his grin as he called out on the fact that she'd never once punished Logan. Oh, she'd given him a verbal warning here and there, but that was more like a vague afterthought than a real warning. Even Alec brightened a little as Dark talked. Then their glee faded at his words.

"He has been bullying my kids..."

"My kids."

Alec and Xander stared at each other in shock as Dark continued, demanding Bernice call a meeting with Logan's parents. Had they heard wrong? No, there he said it again! Demanding she send "His Kids" back to class. Not the kids, not his foster kids, not "the twins," not the children, no! His. Kids. They stared at each other, not saying a word, but each knowing what the other was thinking. Then footsteps approached the door, and they scrambled a few steps away, standing quietly and innocently away from the door when Dark walked out.

"She said you can both return to class. Alec, she let you off with a warning."

"Right, sounds good," Xander mumbled, not quite meeting Dark's eyes.

Alec dropped his backpack and stepped up to Dark. He reached out and wrapped his arms around Dark as best as he couldn't, hugging him fiercely. "Thank you," he whispered so quietly it was likely hard even for Dark to hear.

Dark's eyes widened when Alec hugged him and he awkwardly returned it. Whereas his wife smelled like incense, he smelled like cardamom, cedar, black tea, and ink. His arms were strong, which shouldn't really be surprising, "You are welcome." He replied. He wasn't entirely sure of what Alec had mumbled, but he responded in regard to his best guess, and he allowed Alec the grace of being the one to break the hug first.

When Alec did pulled back, he smoothed his suit and said, "When we get home, I will help you remove your eye makeup, okay? And if you like, I can teach you how to apply it, but for now, I believe we all have somewhere to be."

Alec nodded and managed a shaky smile. As he and Xander walked away, Xander slung an arm around Alec's shoulders and walked with him to their next class. Though they were technically the same height, Xander's more muscular frame and bolder attitude made him seem far larger than his brother. He kept Alec close, guarding him under his wing like a mother bird. They didn't separate for the rest of the day until it was finally time to go home. Neither one of them could remember a time when they were so happy to board the bus.

One week later, Dark was, once again, sitting in Bernice's office, but this time it was different. Neither Alec nor Xander was there, but that was not the biggest difference. Daizi was sitting beside him, trying to look formal. It was easy for Dark to look formal, he had an adoration for suits and pocket squares and cufflinks--he had an entire drawer for cufflinks--but she was not that kind of person. Dark had assured her that how she normally dresses was fine, and that when he had met with parents it wasn't that uncommon for them to arrive in yoga pants or a t-shirt, but she just felt that, given the subject matter, she should dress the part. It wasn't like it was her first time meeting her husband's boss, or anything. So, she had dug out her old, stiff clothes she wore to job interviews, only to find the pencil skirt didn't fit because of the green olive she was carting around. It was secretly unzipped in the back, safety-pinned to her blouse at the sides (just to be absolutely certain it wouldn't fall down), and it was all hidden by her lightweight cardigan.

Dark wasn't as nervous as she was, even as the other parents came into the office. He had been in these conferences before, albeit from a different position, and although, yes, it felt a bit like selling his soul when he covered his tattoos with makeup even though technically he didn't have to, since technically he was not going to be attending as faculty which means technically he didn't need to adhere to the dress code, but he didn't want to bias Logan's parents against him.

"Hello," he stood when the other parents entered and shook their hands firmly, "it is good to get to speak with you both today. I am G.M. Dark, this is my wife Dr. Daizi Wahid, I am actually one of the teachers here, I had your son in one of my classes last semester."

The Leeds were ten minutes late to the conference, and when they walked in, they swept in. Mr. Leed looked every bit as dapper as Dark, though his suit was a dark, rich blue that had a certain sheen only expensive fabrics had, and he wore a wide gold band with a flat cut diamond on his ring finger. He was greying at the sides of his dark blond hair, but his forehead showed not a sign of wrinkling. He gave Dark's hand a look before accepting it, squeezing it harder than strictly necessary while looking him right in the eye. "Richard. You may call me Mr. Leeds," he said in a stern voice that easily carried over much larger conference tables than the one they stood by. "My wife. Celia."

Mrs. Celia Leeds glanced at Dark and Daizi but didn't accept their hands. Instead, she cheeked her makeup in a tiny compact mirror before slipping it into her wide, designer purse. She murmured something that may have been a hello, her face not quite moving in response to her words. She was a bright gold blonde, the type that rarely happened naturally, and her crimson red blouse - clearly silk - and sleek black skirt showed off her generous assets perfectly while not quite stepping over the line into tacky territory.

"I hear you are the parents of the boy who assaulted my son," Mrs. Leeds said, pulling out a chair for his wife. She sat, folding herself carefully as her clothes, while stunning, didn't offer much by way of movement. "I don't usually get asked to come to hear an apology in person, but I admire a man who can face his mistakes."

Back