How Green Becomes Wood

"Do not insult her to me." Dark replied. He had to silently stare down at Xander for some time to collect his thoughts. He wasn't angry before, only somewhat frustrated, but that was too much, even though in the grand scheme of things, it was by no means the worst thing someone had said about her.

"She does not expect a puppy, and she does not expect you to care about it, but I expect that if I am welcoming you into my home, you can put your pride aside to do the small thing which brings her peace," He did not break his gaze, "And your ear is bleeding."

A dozen insults flashed through his mind, but seeing Dark's silent glare warned him that he had pushed far enough. If it was just him, he would happily tell Dark that he and his wife were both delusional idiots, but Alec still needed a place to heal before they headed out again. He held the glare as long as he could, but it was Xander who broke first and glanced away with a bitter chuckle.

"Yeah, like anyone ever has any real peace, especially around me. And no, it's not." Xander touched his ear and looked down at his hand. "Huh. Shit. It is."

"If nobody has peace then what benefit is there in taking away what little comfort we can scrounge up on this rock. You do not know what she has lived through. You are by no means the greatest agony in either of out lives, " He then turned and walked into the kitchen, "Come on, let me look at your ear."

"Everyone always has it worse," Xander grumbled. "I don't want you looking at my ear. You'll probably cut it off to spite my face, or whatever." Even so, he found his feet moving, following after Dark into the kitchen. He kept up his surly scowl, his shoulders tenesed. Dark was being far too reasonable. There had to be a punishment coming. If he wasn't the yelling kind, then it had to be in the form of some kind of quiet, fast punishment when he thought Xander had let down his guard. After all, Xander had called out his wife's weirdness and refused to play by the rules. Punishment was required. Wasn't it?

"You do not always get what you want," he said, pulling out a chair, "and if I cut it off, you would probably look nicer, so have no fear, I am in no mood to improve your appearance. Sit."

He made another pilgrimage to the medicine cabinet, or, perhaps it ought to be called the first-aid cabinet, and pulled out antiseptic, knowing from what he had been told what the problem was likely to be, but still he asked, "Do you have a piercing?"

Xander scowled at the shot but didn't respond. He plunked down on the chair, sprawling out as if he didn't care, but his arms remained tight across his chest as he watched Dark warily.

"Do I have any piercings?" he repeated the question. "Duh, Professor." He used a finger to tap the three circular earrings on each ear, two lower and one higher with a stud in the right lobe. The stud in the right ear was hard to see under the thin red layer of blood, and the other earings didn't hang quite right for real earrings.

"Well, certainly you are very badass," Dark replied coolly, "did you go to Claire's? Or are you very very badass and do it with a needle and an ice cube," He did not express the latter is how he pierced his ears when he was young, "I used to work at a tattoo shop, when I was young, if you do not go to professionals, it will go poorly. Or if you do not clean it as you should." He also did not mention all he really did at the shop was answer phones and schedule appointments--although, to be fair, his boss did teach him a few things under the table.

He poured the antiseptic on a cotton ball and began cleaning Xander's ear with gentle hands.

"Yeah, yeah, mock the kid. I'm sure it makes you feel very masculine," Xander growled, not answering the question. The truth was, one of his mother's boyfriends - was it two boyfriends ago or three? - had taken them with him when he went to get a new tattoo. Alec had refused to go inside, instead sitting on the curb outside the shop. Xander had gone in and mouthed off to the tattoo artist until the guy had suggested giving him a piercing. Refusing to back down, Xander had plopped down in the chair and forced himself not to flinch while the boyfriend laughed his tipsy head off. Later, he had cried into his pillow. It had HURT!! Far more than he'd expected or anyone had led him to believe. But he'd earned at least a token of respect from the tattoo guy, for what little that was worth. The fake ones he's made himself and figured out how to force the metal tips together so they held onto his ear without puncturing it. It wasn't foolproof, but they held on surprisingly well.

The moment Dark touched him, Xander tensed. His heartrate rocketed, and his palms started sweating like mad. He gripped his own arms, trying to force himself to be still, to not respond. Show no weakness! But he couldn't hide the faint tremors in his body. Every touch made him want to scream. He needed to get away!

"I still wear eyeliner when the mood takes me and my wife, who I cook dinner for most nights, outearns me by a mile, so I really do not care much if I am perceived as suitably masculine, but if you get to be sardonic, certainly I get to be as well, yes? Reciprocity?"

Yet, when he noticed how Xander was shaking when he touched him, he immediately stopped, and handed the items to the teen, "Here," he said, "I can talk you through it."

Xander wasn't really listening to the Dark's words until the touching stopped. He glanced to the side, trying not to move too much in case the professor changed his mind. He saw the cotton ball and hesitated. "Why, are you squeamish?" he challenged, but his voice trembled slightly. He flushed, angry with himself for the tremor, and reached out to take the cotton ball.

Dark inhaled, pulled a seat out and sat across from Xander, and lied, "Terribly. I am not still working at that tattoo shop, am I?"

He was well acquainted with trauma responses: his own, his wife's, his friends'... Damaged people bond with damaged people, so he had learned to be attentive of those sorts of cues. And he remembered being a traumatized kid, so he refused to voice what he had noticed, not yet.

"You will probably want to take the earring out, it will get worse if you leave it in."

Xander hesitated a moment, getting the niggling feeling Dark wasn't really telling the truth, but he needed the lie at the moment, so he accepted it. He reached up and fiddled with his ear until he could get it out. He set the unremarkable stud on the table and started carefully dabbing his ear, grumbling at the stinging sensation. "My mother would certainly be happy. She hated this thing."

The ear wasn't too bad once he got the stud out. The earing hadn't been kept properly clean in some time, and the hole, itself, didn't look particularly professional. It would heal in no time in allowed to.

"Well, normally I am in full support of doing what mothers hate," he looked down at the roses on the back of his hands, "but you do not want to mess with infections, so I would be in no hurry to accessorize soon. And you should probably go back to cleaning the piercing every morning and night like you did when it was fresh."

Deeming his work complete, Dark stood, and put his chair back where it belonged, "Now, I need to go speak with my wife, who, by the way, with the exception of four, I have been exclusively with since I was fifteen, so I think if our marriage was going to turn toxic, it would have done so by now." Had he been an expressive person, he'd have smirked when he left the room, but seeing as he wasn't, it was unclear if he was teasing, bragging, or still annoyed.

"I was supposed to clean it twice a day?" Xander muttered to himself. He couldn't remember getting any instructions like that. No wonder it had given him trouble since the beginning! It was only thanks to Alec nagging about it that he remembered to clean it at all. He washed off the stud, stuck it in his pocket, and made his way upstairs.

Alec lay sound asleep on the bed, the book resting half on his face. Xander lifted it off and flopped it onto the bedside table with a clunk.

"I don't wanna be a moth!" Alec blurted, waking with a start.

Xander stared at him in bewilderment. "What?"

Alec blinked in confusion and looked around. "Oh, good, no Mothman," he sighed in relief. Then he looked at Xander. "Where have you been? It's dark."

"On a wild goose chase," Xander grumbled, sitting on the floor. "There's nowhere nearby that we can go to, and we couldn't leave any time soon even if we wanted to. There's a storm picking up speed out there."

Alec pushed himself up and looked out the window. "Oh. That's why it's so dark out there. So, what are we going to do?"

Xander shrugged. "Stay here and continue to mooch off the kindness of strangers, I suppose."

"Your ear looks better," Alec remarked. "I would say that's worth some annoyance."

"I don't know that they'll agree." Xander frowned and glanced toward the door. "Do you think people can actually be in love for years at a time?Like the old couple that's been together for a hundred years still actually getting along?"

Alec shrugged. "I doubt it. Love doesn't last long without a lot of work, and who wants to work on the same thing for a hundred years? Maybe they learn to get along and live with each other, but I doubt it's love."

Xander nodded. "Thought so. You think every marriage turns toxic?"

"I don't know. Maybe not toxic, but they probably get bored or at least distracted."

"How long do you think the professor and his witch have?"

Alec considered. "I guess that depends on how distracted their work keeps them. Maybe another twenty with anon again, off again love affair with each other. They won't have kids to drive them apart."

"Lucky them." Xander sighed and looked outside. "Must be nice to believe in fairytales so strongly."

Alec rolled onto his side and ruffled Xander's hair. "Well, before we drive them bonkers and they kick us out, we should both try to get a good shower. When was the last time you washed your hair? The third grade?"

Xander batted Alec's hand away but smirked at him. "Whatever you say. Maybe you should wash that thrift store's worth of clothes you carry around!"

The pair bantered together while outside the snow fell thick and heavy.

The winter storm kept them all, more or less, confined to the house. Daizi still had work, because unlike the rest of them, she didn't get a few weeks break during the winter, so when the roads were cleared, in the mornings, Dark would drive her to the train station so she could commute to the city, and in the evenings drive her home from the station, but besides that and grocery shopping, they really only sparingly left the house. Really, it was fully revealed that while school was in session, Dark was functionally a househusband. Since Daizi still had to work, and he didn't, he willingly took on all of the shopping and the majority of the cooking, because since he had the time, he might as well. They went on little "at-home" dates, and as hard as they tried to be sneaky, there were a few times where Dark's worst nightmare would be realized, and one or both of the twins would catch them acting.... rather like, well, two teens in the halls of a highschool, although thankfully not doing anything more graphic. In a normal winter, they would go out on more "real" dates together, but they weren't entirely sold on the idea of leaving the twins home alone for a few hours while they did, mostly because it seemed sort of... strange to do so.

It was strange enough to have them there in the first place, but there was no way they were casting them out into the storm to freeze and die. So the couple incorporated them into their lives as best they could, even if it meant that when school reconvened, they would be able to share far too many details about the personal life of the most mysterious teacher there.

It turned out that Daizi, once a week (or more, if something in particular upset her), "smudged" the house, which really just entailed burning sage and either herbs and slowly walking through every room in the house, to "cleanse" it. If it worked or not, at least it smelled nice. And it turned out that Dark had a passion for woodcarving, and he had an entire room in the house dedicated to a miniature carnival he had been carving for longer than either twin had been alive, with carnival rides he had painstakingly learned to make move. There was a shed in the backyard which was his workshop, but with the snow, he could not access it, much to his frustration.

Christmas came and went without much ado. Daizi was thrilled with the rose quartz skull-with-raven Dark had bought her the first day the twins came home, and equally thrilled with the necklace he had bought her, before planning to also surprise her with the skull... and they also bought gifts for the twins, because it felt wrong to celebrate a holiday and ignore them. It wasn't much, and they were fully prepared that Alec would probably try to refuse to accept it, and Xander would probably find a reason to be angry about it, but nonetheless, they gave Alec a gift card to a nearby Indie bookstore, and Xander a gift card to a different indie store that had a larger variety of things for sale--and mostly they decided to give him that card because they knew it was a bit edgy and sold both clip on, and regular, earrings, so they figured it was a safe bet. They wanted to get them new clothes, or new shoes, but they agreed it might be taken the wrong way.

Once or twice, their friend, Cooger, who was the very same friend who had a homestead, liked to crash on their couch, and struggled to eat spicy food, came over in his loud, filthy, pickup truck. He was a large man--Only average height, but wide. Evidently he had once been extremely fit, but even though he was still clearly strong, his late 30s had caught up to him. He had a red beard down to his chest and had immediately taken to referring to himself as "Uncle Cooger," despite the protests of both Dark and Daizi. The first time he met the twins, he slapped them on the back, and swore he'd take 'em up to his cabin and let 'em shoot empty beer cans off his deck with his shotgun. He was inexplicably adored by the married couple, if his key to their house was any indication, or the fact he was the best man at their wedding, even though he very much did not fit their carefully cultivated aesthetic.

And New Years passed by, and Daizi privately celebrated Dark's birthday, which was the same day, but didn't make a visible fuss of it, so neither she nor her husband were sure if the twins knew about it--which was their plan, because he did not like publicizing it in the first place, and he also did not want to make them feel obligated.

So there they were, about to begin the new semester at school, still having made no new plans for what to do with the twin racoons. Honestly, Dark and Daizi both sort of... forgot to make arrangements. That's not exactly the right word, but bizarre as it was, to some extent it seemed... normal.

Xander and Alec mostly tried to keep to themselves over the three weeks, especially after Xander's argument with Daizi. He never said sorry, but he did start touching the salt whenever he remembered, which was about nine times out of ten. They did come across Daizi and Dark playing around like teens twice. Xander gagged for a while, and Alec decided the best approach was to pretend nothing ever happened and to make more noise as they went about the house. They did discover Dark's workroom, but while Xander wanted to explore, Alec pulled him away out of worry that Dark wouldn't like them looking at his work.

Other than that, they blended rather well into Dark and Daizi's life. Even the smudging didn't bother them too much, although Xander did make a few quiet jokes about it. Christmas came as a surprise to them both. They hadn't expected anything, especially not gifts. Alec tried to refuse, but he was quickly won over. Mostly, he just wished he had something to give back. Xander checked for strings attached before accepting. Both of them knew they'd pay Dark and Daizi back eventually. Somehow.

Cooger was a strange temporary intrusion to their lives. Alec basically went into hiding after meeting the ruckus fellow, but Xander instantly challenged him to a shooting competition, willing to go toe-to-toe with the big fellow. He was an acquired taste, for sure, and it was clear Xander would come to like him, once he stopped trying to compete with him.

The twins didn't even notice that the new school semester was sneaking up on them. Xander hadn't even bothered to go look for a new place to stay. It was so cold and snowy outside! Surely he could wait one more day. And one more day.

A fresh coat of snow fell over the night, and Alec stood in the kitchen window staring out eagerly at the virgin snow. "We should go build a snowman!"

"A snowman? Really? What are you, four?" Xander asked from his slouched seat next to the kitchen island.

"Since when did snowmen have age limits?" Alec challenged, not looking around.

Xander huffed and yanked his long-sleeved black shirt down as it started riding up in the back. "I'm not moving until after I've had breakfast, but you're free to go out and freeze right now, if you want."

"If you're going to," Daizi yawned as she strolled into the kitchen, "build it in the backyard, you know how reputations are--Dark and I have worked so hard to prove to our neighbors that we are fine, upstanding folk who, like all good and just people, want only to corrupt the hearts and souls of the youth and praise Lucifer..." For someone who was adamant about keeping demons out of her home, she sure enjoyed joking about devil worship, "if word gets out we engage in such low and wretched activities like snowman building, well, we'll just end up as the town pariahs." She chuckled at her own joke as she put the kettle on.

Dark came in not too long after she had, and was there quick enough to hear part of the conversation, and as he began preparing breakfast, he said, "If you move the snow blocking the door to my shed, I will pay you."

"But babe," Daizi gasped, "what if they look inside your murder shed!"

"Well, then they respect that we have been playing the long game," Dark replied, shaking his head. But somehow, it was this statement, this comment about the 'long' game that made him realize exactly how long they had been lingering together, and he turned very slowly around to look at the rest of them and asked, "Remind me... what day is it?"

"The third, I think. I have a grant proposal due on Friday. Why?"

Dark sucked in air between his teeth and said, "Because... school is about to begin again."

Xander perked up a little at the mention of monetary repayment and glanced at Dark, twisting oddly to see him properly. "How much are you willing to pay for the snow?"

Alec heard the comment about school and went still. Even his eclectic blue vest worn over a blood-red shirt with silver threads shot through it looked still, and that wasn't easy for such a vibrant outfit. Even his pants were bright, a dark shade of purple with green cuffs over mismatched pink and yellow socks. "I think a snowman would be wholesome and lovely," he said quietly, avoiding the true topic of conversation.

Dark shrugged, and glancing outside said, "I have no idea... It will probably take you at least an hour, in this weather, so... thirty dollars, I guess? Or twenty each?" He had never had to estimate how much money was fair for a task like that before, and had absolutely no idea about what to offer.

But the return to school, that was a lot more pressing. For one thing, if the twins continued to stay with them, the mysterious "they" would at last figure out something had been going on, because it wasn't like he was just going to send them to walk to school, it was way too long a distance, but the four of them still had never figured out exactly what their end game was. He rubbed the back of his neck, trying to figure out how to, again, ask them what their plan was.

"Do you have good gloves?" Daizi asked, "Because as passionate as it is, you wouldn't want to lose fingers for your art."

"May we borrow a pair?" Alec asked, glancing back at her. "We'll be careful to give them back in the same shape they arrived to us. Though perhaps a little more wet."

Xander watched Dark. He could practically see the worry and the wheels working. These past weeks had been amazing! Even the constant nagging worry that they were going to be kicked out of the house had faded in time. This was a place of safety. Or, at least, it had been. Now they were back where they started with school and authorities needing to look after minorities. What were they going to do now? He glanced out the window. Shovel snow. That was what they were going to do. They were going to shovel snow and make a snowman and enjoy their last little bit of freedom. He stood and headed to the closet to fetch their coats.

Back