Vitam et Mortem IC - Altsoba School of Sorcery

Natalia

Also in the library, unnoticed as usual, there sat a young Russian redhead. She sat, gripping her pen very tightly and ignoring her textbooks as she glared two tables down. Because there he was with her. The other two girls were of no consequence, young and ordinary looking. There was only slight annoyance at them being so close to what should be hers.

She had been present in the hallway earlier in the afternoon when those two had held hands for the first time. Those few that noticed had stared and whispered. Nito in a relationship? But Natalia’s mutterings about the matter were centered around the fact that he was with someone other than her.

Since she was in seventh grade (and he was in eighth) Natlia had been in love with Nito. It had not taken her long to realize that he was incredibly focused on his craft; she could respect that. So, she never bothered him though often times she was in the background, watching. Observing.

When he left for Altsoba and she was stuck behind in Grade 8 she began formulating her four year plan. When she entered high school it would begin. She’d work as an office worker for one of her electives and from that she was able to have access to Nito’s schedule. The following semester she made sure her other elective was always the same as his. And this semester as well, she had done the same. He would see her face. Sure, he wouldn’t notice her, not at first, but eventually.

She started running into him in the halls, making sure that at least once a day when Nito looked up and around, he would see her face. Most days he just glanced over her. That was fine. She could handle that. She still had until the following year. He would be graduating soon and people tended to take their future a little more seriously around that time. There was also a rumor that Nito was destined for thirteen children. It seemed a little excessive and they could probably settle after one or two, but if it were true and he wanted children? Impending future would be enough to spur him into action, maybe. That’s when she would enter. Some time in the second semester, or right before the winter break she would literally bump into him, or find some charming way to start a conversation and they would build a relationship.

They were destined to be together. Fire and Ice, Robert Frost wrote about them. George R. R. Martin put the two together. Fire and Ice belong together the way that she and Nito belonged together and this little whore had ruined it all. She didn’t care about Nito, there was no way she could possibly know him the way Natalia did. And the poor ice sorcerer, he didn’t know any better.

As Natalia mused the pen in her hand began to melt and she cursed under her breath, letting the writing utensil fall on top of her notebooks. It was okay. She would just have to alter her plan is all. No big deal. The redhead nodded to herself, just a little. It was going to be okay. All relationships had hiccups, this was just one of theirs.

Eva/Sophie

The young Italian looked between the two Grade 9 girls and then back at Nito, completely confused. the one who had approached started blabbering on about mice and Eva's confusion only grew. The other girl, the chubby one, just shrugged her shoulders. Apparenltly she had no clue, either, though she did see the rather adorable mouse climb up her friend's shoulder. Sophie reached forward and gave it a gentle stroke, obviously pleased to have found a friend.

Another girl approached and Sophie turned to find her roommate there beside her. She shrugged again. "One second we were studying and the next she's over here talking to these two upper classmen," She whispered back to Hazel. Poor Sophie, completely out of the loop.

As Jera and Nito worked to pick up the disturbed work, Eva, too, stood to help. "Uh, well. I'm Eva." She introduced herself to all three young girls.

"Oh, um. I'm Sophie," the chubby one indicated herself and then pointed to the first girl with the mouse and then the last one to have approached, introducing them respectively. "Jera. Hazel."

"Nice to meet you all."

Letters for Mia

Friday's letter

Mia,

I miss you like crazy. I was really upset that your school didn't make it to the band competition this month. Northwestern has really picked up their game. I can't wait until your next trip to Banff at this end of this month, so I can see you again.

Eric mentioned something about a Halloween dance. He really wishes he could be there for Maxine. Should I be working on a way into your school so we can dance the night away? I miss your beautiful face and I can't wait to see you again.

The letter continued on to tell about school advnetures and one friend who tried doing the pencil walrus trick and ended up having to go to the hospital because he stuck the pencils too far up his nose. As usual, he ended it with the same 'love, Chris' that had adorned her letters for several months now.

Sunday's Letter

Mia,

Please don't leave your school. I don't really know what's going on, but it isn't safe. I turn eighteen in December. Run away with me then, please. I will protect you, always.

Love, Chris.

p.s. I'm not sure when I'll be able to write again, but know I'm always thinking of you.

Last edited:
The first letter wasn't much different from one of his usual letters. Despite the shadow of Maxine hovering over her, Mia smiled at the idea of him at the dance. She closed her eyes for a moment. The two of them, faces covered with old masquerade ball masks so that no one would know about goody-two-shoes Mia and her man. Dressed their best, like they could never do at competitions or at Banff. Dancing to some sweet, slow song...

Guilt stabbed through her chest. It felt wrong to feel the way that she was, when Maxine was out there. She slowly sat the Friday letter aside, letting her thumb linger over the signature for a few seconds as she picked up the other letter. She didn't understand what the words written there meant at first, so she read it again. And again. And again and again and again until she was certain of what she was reading, and there was no room for doubt. Just four sentences, but they opened up far too many questions to count.

She held the letter close to her as she walked to her desk. She quietly and guiltily flipped Maxine's poster over, and put the framed picture of them face-down. She went into her desk drawer and pulled out an A4 exercise book, tearing a page out of the back. She picked a cheap Bic pen up from the desk. Letters to him were always something nice. Written on pastel, scented paper, with a perfectly matching pen colour. She'd change up what type of paper she used every time. But with all the worries from Maxine and from Chris, she couldn't bear to think of presentation.

I love you Chris, and I trust you completely, but you have to explain this to me. I know that crime is becoming a little bit of a problem in Banff

(what, with the multiple deaths, disappearances, and mysteries in the past fifty years or so, which were totally uncharacteristic in contrast to earlier years)

but

She paused there. Well, she'd been pausing at all different points, trying to put the words together, but here, there was a long, long pause. How did she explain to him that he was safe, but she wasn't, all without making him panic?

as long as I stay on school grounds, I should be fine. If you're worried about being attacked, I don't think you have anything to worry about. You're a strong enough man, and you can protect yourself.

She paused again.

If there's a bigger reason to it, please tell me. Write back ASAP.

Love, Mia.

She laid the letter down on the table, and took a deep breath. She took an envelope from the specific drawer, finding one old one from the days before she cared what her letters looked like. She folded the letter and sealed it in the envelope. She stood up and went to the door, but hesitated before she left. She went back to her desk, snatched up the poster of Maxine, and then left her dorm, making her way down to the office of the Grade 12 girl's letter manager. Afterwards, she would join her friends, and keep on putting up posters. Maybe edit the poster a little, while she was at it.

Last edited:
Charlie looked up at Blake's hesitant tone from whetr she had been working on her final desk, having filled the not-so-small bucket halfway with people's old and chewed gum. Which was pretty gross, even to her. The muscled teen took one look at Blake's face before turning to look at Kenlei.

Well, more like Kenlei and the gum on her head.

Instantly she had to restrain her laughter, ducking her head as she covers her mouth, body shaking. After about ten seconds of her doing this as the others look at her, she eventually calms down enoigh to speak. Crawling away from Blake and towards the crouched Kenlei on all fours, she speaks.

"Just... don't move. Or freak out." She asks her as she reaches forward, arm reaching up to her face to pull thr gum off of it. She wasn't sure what Kenlei's reaction would be, but with how she had complained...

Even as Klaus approached just in time to hear Jake's prank, the ne'er-do-well's smile never faltered, and instead only grew a smidge larger to spread across his baby face. That smile and face had gotten him out of more trouble than even he probably realized. Both forearms lifted in a shrug out to the side, “Sorry. Just a little hazing for the new kids.” He winked at them both. This little bit of hazing was at least pretty mild considering what some kids did, and aside from a bit of embarrassment and maybe some hurt feelings at Professor Loray's mean ranting, the prank was essentially harmless.

Looking to Fey, he nodded, “If you enjoy a good prank here and there, maybe so. I do like hanging with the girls.” Even if he did prefer the boys for dating.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenlei smiled at Blake's comment and then took both Charlie and him in with a look and replied quite honestly, “I'm sorta having fun with you two, too. I mean, for detention, that is. But if you EVER tell anyone I had fun scraping gum in detention, I will lie till I am blue in the face!” Despite her words, the smile remained in place.

She continued scraping until Blake said her name, and she didn't look up as she replied, “Hmm?” And when she did look up, Charlie was crawling on all fours toward her, “Whatareyoudoing?” she asked in a rush, blinking at the girl in surprise, and then she blanched, “What do you expect me to do when you say 'don't freak out'?!' Is there a spider on my fa--?!” She stopped, mouth agape, as the gum was plucked from her forehead. Her eyes bore into the gum, horrified before she collapsed dramatically on her back. “I'm going to need five showers just to feel clean!”

She picked herself up moments later and continued to scrape until that desk was done and her pail was full of nastiness. Then she stood and looked at the other two. “We are done. Let's get the heck out of here. I need my five showers ASAP.”

Nito listened to Jera blather on about mice and comfort and love and other such trivial notions that an animal that small minded could never properly express without magical influence, and soon began to find himself loosing whatever semblance of patience he might have possessed. "Its irrelevant," He'd begin, not bothering to address the other females who were quickly starting to swarm around his general vicinity. "Completely and utterly irrelevant. They're mice. Vermin. Rodents. Pests. It wouldn't matter to me if one or a hundred came up to my feet, forming a little heart formation on the ground and begun to sing one of the Lord's hymns. They bring disease, and they destroy the books around us, two things I consider to vastly outweigh whatever manipulated affection they might deposit unwanted at my feet."

He'd straighten up, setting his pile of blown-over work back on the table, and pocketing his wand. "The next time I see one of those creatures approach me, I won't bother trying to be subtle about it. I'll do the work that any good house cat might do and squelch out its life before it has so much as a chance to squeak."

Perhaps Nito was going overboard, and perhaps Eva might judge him for it, but fact of the matter was is this is how he felt. He wasn't about to let sentiment or socialization mask his words or hide his true feelings. He hadn't in all his time at Altsoba, and one little varmint wasn't about to alter almost four years of behavior. "Besides, I'm sure the librarian would've thanked me. One less creature leaving its droppings amongst the rows of valuable and irreplaceable tomes."

Jera's lips thinned where she held her smile in place. This boy was harder than she thought. She stayed silent through his tirade, a delicate brow arching as she waited for him to stop and breath. She'd released her anger, it wouldn't be returning no matter what he said. Finally he paused, and Jera took her chance.

"Vermin, or not. Disease or not. One day these tiny creatures might come to your rescue and you'll only have to thank them for it." She lifted a hand, gently rubbing the underside of her little friend's chin with a finger while she looked into Nito's eyes with a calm smile. "One day, they might save you and you'll regret everything you've said today. Yes, they might carry sickness and get into things we wish they wouldn't, they nibble here and there on books that help us learn how to work with them. But for the services they could provide us with a simple request, I'd say any harm they do might be worth it in the long run." She pursed her lips, thinking for a second. "I understand your concerns, I do. Make no mistake there, but you should not focus so much on the negative." She tilted her head forward then, speaking a quiet farewell before starting back towards her quiet nook.

She had only taken a couple steps when she paused then, turning to look at the boy once more.

"You're not bad Nito, need some work, but not bad. I think we'll speak again." Cool blue eyes moved to look Eva over once more. "I do hope you and your girlfriend are feeling better next time we meet though, both of you seem to need some sleep."

With those final words she walked back to her spot in the library, gathering her own materials that she'd scattered in her haste before making her way out of the library.

Halloween morning a handful of golden envelopes would be distributed across the school, each with a name written on the front in a neat calligraphy font.

When Heinrich would wake in the forest clearing, there nestled in a tree would be the little envelope sparkling, glittering. Beckoning.

Gregori would be handed his envelope by Andalyn. She would simply shrug as it was handed over, “Ask me no questions because I have no fucking clue.”

In the exact spot where Nito and Eva practice by the lake, two envelopes wait hovering at their individual eye level.

Natalia would receive her envelope later in the day. As she headed into the library, there on the same table she always sits at to study, a golden envelope will be waiting.

When Jake goes off to sneak a cigarette in the hallway for the first time that day, there will be a glittery golden envelope for him to.

During breakfast a smiling Grade 9, Blake, will approach the table where Max sits, his arm around Monique’s shoulders. Without a word the darker skinned sorcerer will hand Max a shiny gold envelope and leave to return to sitting with Charlie at and Kenlei.

As Charlie goes to leave her dorm that morning, she gets to the suite door and on the floor where it had been slipped under the door sits a golden envelope, her name written on it in what could have been typed print.

Klaus will arrive to the same grassy field he usually has breakfast. Instead of the usual snow covered ground and empty field when he arrives there’s a small table and a folding chair waiting for him. Propped up on the table is a small envelope, ‘Klaus Evergreen’ written out in a neat cursive script on a gold background.

At some point during the day as Anna digs through her backpack looking for something, her hands would touch a small rectangular piece of paper. It feels smooth to the touch and sends a gentle shock to her finger at the touch. When she pulls it out to investigate, she’ll find a small golden envelope.

Should anyone other than the intended try moving these envelopes from their spots, they will not budge. Should anyone other than the intended try opening these envelopes their fingers will be met with an intense burning sensation and the envelope will not open.

Inside the envelopes, written in the same neat font as the names, are a set of instructions. The paper is an expensive parchment that will burst into flames after the intended reads its contents, gone and completely unrecoverable:

West Wing Basement
11:59pm
Tell No One. Come Alone.
Do Not Be Late.
-LeM

Eva:

For the young ice sorceress-in-training the weeks passed by fairly quickly. Her time was divided up into classes, being with Nito, and hanging out with Ishade. They continued with dueling practice, though it was uncertain if they were going to be going to the next tournament. Eva didn't mind, though. Any lesson in defending herself was greatly valued.

It was silly to think it, but she was convinced she'd found the One in Nito. The exchange of those three words between the young, silly couple had filled her with so much happiness Eva thought she might burst.

Eventually the nightmares featuring Anthony and the dead hunter both became less and frequent. As each day passed the weight of that death lessened enough for her to become a happier version of her old self. Occasionally the memory would flicker in her mind and she'd start to withdraw. The death, though necessary, weighed heavily on her heart.

As mention of the Halloween dance spread she avoided the topic… until he mentioned his willingness, his desire to go. Eva was over the moon and the next night she wrote to her parents requesting a dress for that night. She knew Nito would dress his best and she wanted to look worthy of being on his arm… And her mom delivered.

All in all, the month of October passed in a happy daze, save for one minor… annoyance. Natalia. The redhead was easily ignored, though her obvious crush on Nito grated her nerves just a tad. Worse, though, was Nito allowing her to tag along when she wanted. His choice was clear to Eva, but she got the feeling it wasn't so clear to the Russian. For the most part, though, the girl was often forgotten in Eva's mind.

Halloween morning as Eva walked hand in hand to the lake for their usual daily practice she was surprised to find the two shiny envelopes waiting for them, each addressed to them respectively. She grabbed hers after a moment's hesitation, exchanged a look with Nito and then carefully opened up to see the envelope's contents. Whatever she had been expecting, it hadn't been that.

Natalia:

With Eva in the picture, Natalia's plans had to change. It started with getting to know Gregori but that only led to her learning more details about Nito’s affair with that witch. She decided that there would have to be another way when, with a stroke of luck, she was partnered with Nito in their Healing elective for an in class project. A totally natural meeting where he learned (and remembered) her name. He agreed to partner with her on the paper assignment and Natalia was over the moon and sure they would be together soon.

Except for one… minor hiccup, studying in her dorm together had gone fairly well.

Until it hadn't. Because he was still choosing Eva.

At the lake when he needed help and she had been the one to get the nurse (never mind that Eva had told her to do so). She was the one who understood what was happening. Still, he chose Eva every time. It was fine, though. She’d simply miscalculated. Natalia would simply have to alter her plans…

These were the thoughts in her mind as she approached her study table. The Russian eyed the envelope curiously and a tad suspicious. But she remembered her parents had spoken of a similar experience when they had attended Moscow Sorcery School (where they had refused to send her, despite her protests) and she had a feeling… When she opened up the envelope a slow smile spread across her features. Her parents would be very, very proud.

Headmistress:

After Hunt and Loray had kidnapped the Hunter teenager (an idea that was still difficult to wrap her brain around), they brought him back to the school. It was easy enough to get him on campus and with only mild hesitation Professor Hunt left the boy with Loray while she left to get in contact with the authorities.

Several hours would pass before they would come to pick up the boy.

If confused, please see the side scenes tab for further information

Chris:

A week and a half would pass before Mia would receive another letter from Chris again.

Mia,
I will explain everything as soon as I can. But… Not like this. Stay safe. Missing you every day.
Lots of love, Chris
P.S. I’ll try to write more soon.

Andalyn:

After the initial hearing of the rumor, it got easier to hear the things that were spread around the school. The harder part was still adjusting to the fact that she might feel a little more for Gregori than she was willing to admit out loud. The fact that he could so easily break her heart…

She didn’t mention it to him, though, the rumors. If he heard anything and wanted to mention it to her, than he would. She was, for the most part, confident that she was what he wanted at this time and that was enough for her.

Blake:

After detention with Charlie and Kenlei, Blake found himself gravitating toward these two more and more. Yes, they were cute girls, but he actually enjoyed hanging out with them on an individual level and even more so when it was the three of them. He found himself growing attached to them as friends over the next few weeks.

Before them he was more of a floater. He didn’t belong to any one group, but he knew a lot of people. Except he was never really close friends with them. It was part of why he had ended up in detention that day.

By the time the Halloween arrived, the little trio was starting to become inseparable and had agreed they would all go to the dance together. Maybe even attend one of the parties, if they could figure out what dorm it was being held in. Blake had a feeling he could find that information out.

When he was in the hall heading to breakfast that morning, someone bumped into him and as they did a large white envelope was left stuck to his chest. He never saw the face of who did it but when he looked inside there was a twenty dollar bill and a note that said to deliver the golden envelope inside to a Max Alvarez. Of course Blake knew who he was so it was easy money.

Sopie:

Sophie was honestly surprised that the incident in the library had not ended worse. Still, she scuttled after her suitemate, grabbing Hazel’s arm and dragging her roommate with her. They grabbed her stuff from the table where she’d been studying and hurried after Jera.

Halloween morning the Grade 9 girl sat at the breakfast table, a plate of scrambled eggs beside her head that was now resting on the table. She was still struggling in the increased pace of their self-defense lessons. She hurt less, certainly, but on the days she did hurt it was always in a new and unexciting place. She felt like she needed a nap for a week. Who had said high school would be fun?

Jera hummed quietly as she picked at her breakfast, gaze occasionally flicking up to take in her suite-mate's tired form. The young girl picked at her own eggs, taking small bites of her pancakes as well and eyeing the cookie decorated in Halloween colors that she was saving for last. She sighed though when Sophie continued to just lay there, head on the table, and worry made her nibble at her lower lip.

"Dear, are classes truly that hard on you as of late?" She asked, voice cheery and tinkling like a sweet bell, but clearly worried as she set her fork down in favor of giving the girl her full attention. Jera knew that defense lessons were difficult, she took them too. They weren't that hard in her opinion though, but she guessed most people didn't grow up with their siblings slinging curses like that at them on a regular basis.

'To keep you strong, like your mother wanted you.' Her mind whispered to her, and Jera had to agree. She was used to dogging things like curses now, thanks to her early childhood. The fact that she regularly practiced gymnastics by herself meant that she didn't suffer for the awkward positions she put her body in. This didn't mean she didn't get hit once in a while though.

One particularly nasty curse had caught her off guard not even two weeks ago, but it wasn't the first time she'd broken her arm. Being the free spirit she was, she'd fallen out of her fair share of trees before, even off her home's roof once, so getting hit with that curse wasn't the worst pain she'd felt.

She was sore, but it was a good kind of sore, the sore you felt after a good work out where you'd pushed yourself past a limit you didn't know you could reach. Sophie didn't look like she shared that opinion though, and it had Jera concerned for her well being.

Jake

After several weeks of constant thinking and planning of what to do for this Halloween prank, the baby-faced eleventh year was no closer to deciding what would be best. As he lay there in his bed with his head at the wrong end and his bare feet on his pillow, arms akimbo, and eyes on the ceiling, Jake wondered if he had lost his touch. He had planned a prank every year since sixth grade, and though none had been planned for Halloween before, he had drawn a complete blank. This had never happened before. He always, always, always had something up his sleeve...until now. This was a major blow to his ego and started his day off rough especially since he had been up most of the night just trying to think of something, anything, he could do.

Finally rolling out of bed, the youth showered and dressed in tight, dark blue jeans, a Grim Reaper long-sleeved t-shirt, red Converse, and the cloak they all wore. His damp blonde hair was already starting to dry into its normal curls and waves. He trotted down the stairwell steps, patting his pockets until he mentally groaned and turned around, trotting back up to his room. Damn, he was so off his game today! His cigarettes were found in their hiding place, and he tucked a few into his pocket before making his way back down the stairs.

When Jake reached his usual smoking stair, he slowed down as he saw something glittery gold resting there. Hopping the next stair down, he sat heavily, pulled out one cigarette, lit it with his wand, and took a drag as he lifted the envelope, turning it in his hands. His thumb slid under the sealed flap, scoring it open ruthlessly before he pulled out the contents. Pale brows rose in surprised, and the corners of his lips kicked up into a sideways, mischievous grin. Well, well, well...perhaps today wasn't so much in the shitter as he'd thought. His blue eyes sparkled in delight as the letter popped into flames and dissolved.

Once he finished his cigarette, he stood and headed for the cafeteria for breakfast. Jake was a friend to many, but a good friend to few and mostly girls. His eyes scanned for Andy. He'd been hearing some not so nice things about her lately, and a well-aimed threat to another eleventh year's 'pride and joy' had set it straight at least with one person, and if it took Jake threatening or black mailing every single person who spread such rumors about his friend, he would do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenlei

After the episode in detention, Kenlei found herself re-evaluating her choices in friends. Oh, she was well aware of their many faults and had been since one of her “best friends” had begun dating the boy she had known Kenlei'd had a crush on in seventh grade. However, it had been in Kenlei's best interest to continue the friendships with the group as they all had similar interests and goals, namely popularity.

Now, though, having begun to foster a friendship with Charlie and Blake, Kenlei was noticing she was not enjoying the conversations she was having with her so-called BFFs aside from discussing clothes, hair, and make up. She was quickly coming to realize there was no depth to them, and even worse, they really did not have anything nice to say about others. This should not have come as much of a surprise, and perhaps it didn't, but it was noticeable. She began to think if they had mean things to say about each other out of earshot, what in the world did they say about her when she was not around? The thought was uncomfortable at best.

Dressed in black skinny jeans so tight they looked like a second skin with a pale pink sweater and pink polka dot Vans, Kenlei was dressed for chic comfort. Her golden hair was French braided on both sides to hang over her shoulders. Cat-eye liner swooped each eye, the lids dusted with shimmery pink eye shadow, lashes extended with mascara, cheeks artfully pink with blush, and lips slicked with gloss.

She sat alone in the cafeteria this morning, having forgone her normal seat with friends to perhaps catch Blake and Charlie as they came in. Her tray was laden with a bowl of fruit and a piece of toast slathered in peanut butter. Lifting a strawberry to her lips, she happened to look up as Blake entered and walked over to one of the older kids to hand him something. Weird. If he turned around, she would wave at him to join her.

After finding out that his crush and best friend, Gregori, had a girlfriend now. Which he hadn't exactly taken well... err. He hadn't told anyone of course. Nor Gregori, nor his girl, Andy, or... anyone else really. Well, besides Eva. But she was his best friend and she was helping a lot.

He really hadn' meant to but he'd been avoiding Gregori for the past weeks. The other hadn't said anything about it and he figured that he'd probably want more time to be with Andy now, so he might have not noticed. He'd been moping, kinda sulking a bit. But it wasn't like he could do anything about it. And even if he could, Greg was pretty happy with her so that was fine with him.

He'd also got a new roommate now, what was... interesting, finally someone else in the room to make things less lonely. More lively. The guy was very nice and all, they'd got along. Shade had spent plenty of time baking, it was a thing he did when he was sad. Oren would've been able to have some of the muffins and cookies, and so would've Eva. He was thinking of maybe talking to Mia. They hadn't really seen each other after the incident and they had a pretty good time before it.

He was walking through the hallways before bumping into someone that just happened to be... oh... Gregori.

Gregori

The weeks had been mostly kind to Gregori. With his confession to Andalyn, her reciprocation, the realization that his grades weren't plummeting as bad as he thought they were (though he was still currently failing his Taxes course), combined with the fact that finally, somehow, he was moving past what Nito had made him do, and had begun repairing the relationship the two of them had. What surprised him even more in that regard was that Nito had been the one to come to him, apologize, talk to him like they were both normal people, family, and deeply connected friends. It had been far more than the older of the two cousins had expected, but the effort had not gone to waste, not in his eyes at least.

Still, if there was one thing that the giant of an earth sorcerer wished he could change, it was how distant Ishade had become after their camping trip. It had been fun. Drinking, star gazing, chatting away the night. It felt good to have someone to talk to who wasn't Andy, or his ice loving cousin, or said cousin's girlfriend, though Eva was a good confidant he had discovered. By and by, it was...a pleasant passage of time, so much in fact that for once, Gregori found himself feeling genuinely happy for the first time in a long, long, time.

For now, he wasn't letting the note get to him, the strangely gilded letter. In fact, he hadn't even opened it yet, but he could feel the weight of it inside his robe. He knew what it was. How could he not? With a family like his, as far back as they went, it would've been dumb of him to not expect a summons from them eventually. Still. It didn't mean he wanted such attention...

His mind was so clouded by this fact that he hadn't even realized that he was about to practically run someone over until it was too late.

Poor Ishade...

-----

Nito

In the time that had seemingly flown by, Nito had undergone a very small series of changes. The dark, ragged rings around his eyes had gotten so much worse they had seemed almost blackish-purple, as dark as a skyless night. His attitude had worsened towards all but his cousin and his lover. His schoolwork had grown sloppier, though not to the point it effected his grades, and he always seemed to be on edge, glancing over his shoulder, around corners, like he was being...watched, or trying desperately to hide. But after a collapse near the lack that had left him unconscious and exhausted enough to require two whole days off from classes, his recovering had seemed...otherworldly.

He didn't spend all his time studying anymore, or cooped up in his door room with Eva. He was exercising in the mornings. Eating healthier. Bordering ever so slightly on actually being sociable. An impressive change for one who had seemed as slow moving and implacable as a glacier. There had been other speedbumps in the days that had passed, but most of them were minor enough to disregard entirely, or private enough that he had only shared them with one other person, and more pressingly, they were dealt with. The issues were resolved, or so he thought, when it came to the buddy love triangle forming between himself, Eva, and the Russian girl Natalia. Surely it was settled, after the talk outside his dorm room. He'd been very, very clear on who he picked, and why.

There couldn't be a single misunderstanding, right?

Other than that, Nito was just as perplexed by the envelopes until...he saw the sigil. The signature. The frown he wore was a deep one, sinking even further downward the more he read. He'd always been dreading this day, the day where they would seek to recruit him. To compare him to his Father who had once been a member, as was his father, and the one before him. Every male, and in some cases female, of the Benedictous name was eventually invited to join the prestigious, notorious ranks...Still...much like his cousin...it didn't mean he had to like it...

He'd give Eva his most convincing look of dismay and confusion. "What...do you suppose this means?"

Ishade

Just like the first time they met, only they weren't outside. Ishade bumped into Gregori and fell right on his arse, looking up at his friend, blinking, because he hadn't seen where he was going and honestly... there weren't many people you could just run into as if they were a goddamn wall. But of course it was Greg. "..." Ishade sighed. "Hi" He'd smile as he stood up by himself, even if the other offered a hand, and dusted off his school cloak.
-----------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------------0---------------

Klaus

To find a table and a chair where he usually lied down on the soft grass was strange, but to find an envelope directed at him?. Uhm... the hell?!. The wind sorcerer didn't touch it at first, mainly because it was super suspicious. He'd half sing a spell to check for any malicious magic on it, maybe Jake was trying to get back at him for interrupting his joke three weeks ago or something. But it seemed unlikely that one, he would care that much. And second, that he wouldn't have waited that long.

After doing several other spell checks just in case, the green eyed teen would open the envelope and find out what it was, finally. He'd been curious but being cautious was pretty important as well. Hmm... oh, it was *that* night. He'd have to come up with an excuse to sneak away from Joanna then. They were going to spend it together, in company of some mutual friends. Anyways, he hid the envelope under his robes and sat down to eat. Maybe Cassie would come visit soon?, she usually met him on that spot at least once a week...
wait, wait, Klaus you're going off topic. Someone had left that letter there for him, so obviously they must've known he frequented that spot. The heck?, someone was stalking him or spying on him?. He kinda hoped this was all a joke from maybe some youngsters. But what if it was that secret society some rumours talked about??. Ugh, he blew off a teeny tiny tornado. Like, a few cm tall. He liked to call them "smol whirlywindies" Silly name, but hey now he could also make big whirly windies. He'd chuckle, amused by his own thoughts. Cassie and him managed to collaborate after all during those specialisation classes.

Sophie

The little grade 9 looked up at her suite mate and yawned. "More of the physical self-defense. The magical self-defense has gotten a little easier, though I still need to work on my defensive spells." Now that she was engaged in conversation, Sophie lifted her head from her arms and lazily pulled her plate of food closer to her. "I think my ankle is sprained from Friday." She rolled it a little under the table and winced, nodding. Very possibly sprained.

A bite of eggs was speared on her fork and she quickly shoveled into her mouth, wrinkling her nose. Cold eggs. Yum. When she'd finished chewing and had swallowed the food she looked again at her suite-mate. "Are you going to the dance tonight?" No one had asked her, but maybe if Jera and/or Hazel went...

Andalyn

The brunette would be easy to find. When she was on campus she usually sat at the same table in the court yard. She had given the strange golden envelope to Gregori, kissed him on the cheek, and then headed for breakfast. She had some homework to finish up and he would only distract her so she'd had to pull herself away from spending time with the giant of a sorcerer.

She was currently digging through her backpack because there must be a pen in there somewhere...

Blake

After his easy money assignment, Blake got in line for breakfast and then his eyes scanned for... somewhere to... He caught Kenlei, sitting alone, and when she caught his eye and waved him over, he quickly made his way over and sat across from the stylish girl. "Morning," he greeted with a cheerful grin.

Eva

Eva read and reread the envelope a few times but it still made no sense. She didn't understand the directions or the signature or the significance of what she'd been handed. She looked up meeting Nito's own confused expression and shrugged. "I'm not really sure... Do we.... do you think we should go?" She'd peered over to make sure that his letter said the same as hers, but it was too late both letters had burst into flames, gone forever. It was a mystery! But she'd also been looking forward to the plans they had that night. "We could always go see what it's about and leave if it's not worth it?"

Glancing down at her now empty hands, Eva felt like it had been something important... but mostly it was just weird, and suspicious. If Nito wanted to go, though, so would she.

Max (Oh my god, more than one char):
For the first time in, well, months Max didn't yawn as he sat at the head of his table. He actually felt pretty dang great! Sure, there was this mysterious letter delivered to him by Blake (He had quickly learnt the youth's name from one of his friends), but that had only served to increase his cheerfulness. A mysterious letter in gold, his girlfriend in his arms (he was really surprised she had joined him with his group. He knew she wasn't exactly fond of them. Maybe she was just feeling cuddly) and energy pumping through him as he feasted upon some great food!

Reclining, he had to admit that most of this came from him finally getting the technique he had been practicing down, as well as that sense of achievement you get when all of your workload gets done. Reaching forward with his palm up, he frowns as he concentrates. A few seconds later, a small, multicoloured fire seems to appear above his hand. Twisting and turning in loops and swirls, he couldn't help but grin and laugh at the sight. Of course, when he did so the magic died out. Okay, maybe he still had a bit to go for that technique, although Monique's laughter at him made that certain venture worth it.

For a moment, he stopped to seriously consider the letter. Opening it here at lunch would be too risky. It was obviously something not meant to be read to anyone else, and considering the amount of drama queens in this school it probably exploded or blinded those who aren't supposed to read it. Nodding to himself, he slids the letter into his pocket as he focused upon what's important right now. The people around him and that food.

Charlie:
Charlie hummed a little tune as she placed herself down next to Kenlei with a sudden sound, having snuck up on the girl from behind. It had taken Charlie a small while to muster up the courage, but seeing Kenlei sitting alone had done it. Charlie wasn't exactly used to the whole... friend... thing, but she had figured that if she was ever going to make one this would be it. This would be the time.

Dressed in a loose t-shirt and shorts with two ratty sneakers, her cape conspicuously missing, she grinned a large, white grinat the somewhat surprised face of Kenlei, the grin splitting her face almost ear to ear. Waving a hello she turned back to her plate and let out a small sigh if relief that she hadn't been immediately rejected. Then again, it had been about two seconds since she sat down so there was still time.

Turning back, this time with a slighter smaller but perhaps more genuine grin, she pointed her fork at Kenlei on her right. Mentally preparing herself for this, all those memories of what she would do when this day came appearing, she spoke.
"What's up?"
Nailed it.

Last edited:
A set of pursed lips, tilted at the corners, met Sophie's explanation. Jera herself having quite enjoyed the physical aspect of their defense classes didn't quite understand Sophie's distaste for them. It was nice to stretch out the body and learn new ways to defend herself that didn't always have to include magic. Jera had always had a love of gymnastics, something her mother had taught her, and being as flexible as she was, it was a cinch to wheedle her way out of an opponent's tight hold. It seemed Sophie didn't have the same thoughts on the experience as she did though, and Jera set herself to figuring out how to remedy that. A small smile curved her lips as a thought drifted to her.

"Some of my spells don't have quite the spark they need either, I could rather use improvement with the defensive side of things. If you help me there.." She smiled wide, eyes sparking. "If you help me with the magic, I'll help you with the physical?" Jera offered, quite excited at the idea. A small gust made her red hair ribbon dance, but Jera was too focused on the conversation to pay it any mind. She'd always been better at dodging spells, not casting them, and since Sophie found it easier to cast instead of dodge... It was the perfect idea! The excited girl wondered if Hazel wanted to get in on the action, it would only be better to add another person to their practice sessions.

She paused when Sophie mentioned her sprained ankle, worry creasing her brow.

"Did you visit the nurse? I'm sure she'd love to help. An easy fix for a small problem, yes?" Jera encouraged, not wanting her friend to be in any pain. She noticed the girl's face upon taking a bite of her eggs, reaching over to switch their plates out without hesitation. Jera had come to breakfast later than Sophie, her food was still hot. She didn't mind cold eggs either, it was a little unpleasant, but nothing she couldn't handle. Sophie looked like she needed the hot food more than she did besides.

The young girl smiled mischievously when Sophie brought up the dance, leaning her chin into the hand that still held her fork, eyes sharp as they took the girl in.

"Is that an invitation?" She hummed, teasing the girl a little in an attempt to lift her spirits. "Color me flattered, Sophie!" Jera had a little laugh at her playful teasing, the sound like a wind chime disturbed in a light summer breeze. She reached over the table, setting a gentle hand over Sophie's so the girl would understand she was joking. "I really hadn't planned either way, to be true. My mother has already sent me a dress though, so if you wish it, I'll go with you as a friend." The young girl smiled then, mischief dancing once more in her eyes. "Who doesn't like a little dancing, yes?"

Anna

The weeks passed, and Anna spent her time recovering. For days, she would sleep rocky, waking up to fresh nightmares, fresh deaths, but only in her head. For a little while, Opal would have to give her potions to make her stop crying. Eventually, she recommended that her roommate should buy a sleeping draught. Anna hadn't worked in a month or so, but she had enough (and could borrow enough) money to afford one from Eva and Monique's store. She didn't have any more nightmares, not even any dreams. Between the sleeping draughts and the focusing potions, she was getting out of money.

After Heinrich took her into the forest that first day, Anna had started to go back again.

She was out in that field when she found her envelope. Going through her backpack for her tea flask, she felt a tiny shock on the side of her finger. She let out a tiny yelp - mostly from the unexpectedness of it - and pulled her hand away. She hesitated before going back in, and this time she was looking for the mystery thing. She found the shiny envelope, getting the same shock that time. She braved the electricity and pulled the envelope from where it was slipped between her books. She stared at it for a few seconds, then slowly slipped her thumb under the opening.

She stared at the words. She didn't really get it the first time, and had to read it again. Unfortunately, it disappeared, right into little flames. She stared at the ashes in her hands, which then got blown away with a bit of wind. She kept on staring for a few seconds, then her hand flew to her pocket. She pulled out a biro and rolled up her sleeve, scribbling down what she could remember. It was messy, and would probably get smudged, but it would do for now, at least. She put her sleeve back to normal, feeling the October chill. What was it, then? She'd fallen out of the gossip loop since she'd started coming to the forest again. She looked up at her friend, waiting to see if he had noticed.

Mia

She was meant to be the cool one. Intelligent, composed, never frazzled. A shoulder to lean on, a rock in a hurricane-wrecked sea.

But it was all piling up.

Maxine still hadn't come back. In the weeks since her disappearance the three suitemates had torn the room apart looking for more signs, more evidence, more anything. But apart from Eric's letter, there had been nothing.

Chris had sent her a grand total of one letter. Normally, they would send letters back and forth as much as they could manage. Weekly, at the very least. Since the arrival of his single letter, she'd sent three others at different times, but to no response.

She was still working with Professor Bell and Mrs Sanchez. As much as she wanted to take a break, to do so would just be to disappoint them. She had to keep going.

School wasn't letting up either. Or rather, she wouldn't let it. She was sure that if she explained the situation to her teachers, they would let her rest. But she'd be damned if she was going to let herself fall behind.

Through these problems, there was one shining beacon of hope. Her brothers. After writing an emotional wreck of a letter to her father, talking about her worries and her stresses, she was now getting consistent letters from her brothers, about all different things. It was a welcome distraction, a brilliant retreat when it really felt like the walls were going to tumble in around her. Liam, fresh out of college, was using his gift to his advantage in his zoo worker job. Benjamin, in the midst of his elementary school career, was a 'football star', according to his teachers. Isaac, a bright young mind himself, was so, so eager to come to Altsoba the next year. Too bad Mia wouldn't be there.

Halloween was going to be nice. She, Louise, and Sarah were going to go to the dance, and after, they'd find a party. They were going to let loose. Louise had been the one to convince them. "We've got to just keep going as normal," she had said.
"Partying isn't normal for us," Sarah pointed out, but in the end, they'd decided that they would. And if they didn't like it, they'd just go back to their room.
She'd asked her father to pick her a dress. What he sent was surprisingly okay; he must have asked one of his female colleagues to help out. It was hung up in her closet, waiting. Louise's younger sister had a polaroid camera. The combined power of each of their individual make-up skills would be enough. It was shaping up to be an okay day.

She went down to get some breakfast with her suitemates. They'd been spending a lot of time together. But they never mentioned her. They sat at a table with their trays. "We're definitely good to go tonight, right?" Louise asked.
Mia nodded. "We should be," she replied. Unless she got a letter with perfect handwriting. Or unless a crazy haired girl was seen.

Hazel glanced towards Sophie and Jera, sitting awkwardly to the side. She wasn't sure what to say to Jera- she didn't know her all that well, and it seemed like she was in a conversation with Sophie, so she stayed out of it for the most part, focusing on a book she'd pulled out instead, but she couldn't help but listen, although she felt guilty, as if she were eavesdropping. However, at the mention of dancing, Hazel perked up almost instantly, closing her book and shoving it to the side, jumping into the conversation. "Well, I was planning on going, I wouldn't mind going as a friend with you guys," she said, smiling. She almost instantly regretted what she'd said, realizing that she'd practically just invited herself to their group. Usually, she didn't have much of an issue jumping into existing conversations, but since Jera was in the same suite as them, if she said something wrong to the other girl... Well, things would get awkward, and quickly. I shouldn't have said that, she thought, clenching her fist from under the table. Well, I hope I didn't screw up anything important.

Sophie

Her eyes lit up at the warm eggs placed in front of her and when she'd verified with Jera that the other girl was sure she wanted to trade breakfasts, then she would dig in, much happier with warm breakfast.

Her cheeks did turn a little pink at Jera's words, though she knew the other girl was only teasing. When Hazel spoke up in the affirmative as well, Sophie perked up from both their responses. "Oh! It'll be a fun time, then, the three of us." She had really wanted to go, but without Jera or Hazel, she wasn't about to go all on her own.

"As for my ankle, I'll probably go during class." anything to get out of class, "I'm sure it will be an easy fix." she nodded, assured, and went about fixing her breakfast. "Do you have a dress, Hazel?" she had one, hiding in her closet on the off chance someone had asked her to go, but that hadn't happened.

Which was fine.

Really.

She wasn't bothered.

She'd be going with friends, which was really great and probably way better than going with some person who would ask her and nothing would come of it like what had happened to her sister at her first dance.

Chris

At some point during the day a large box will arive for Mia, labeled "fragile" and "cold". There'd be no indication on the outside of the box to determine who it had come from, but it was most certainly addressed the earth sorceress. When she did open the box, though, inside would be a foam cooler and on top of it a letter, neatly addressed to "The lovely Mia".

Jake
The trickster nearly smacked himself in the face for being so stupid as to think his friend would be in the cafeteria. He was sort of late, after all, and his friend pretty much never ate in the cafeteria. With a soft huff, the youth slumped over to get some food, settling for an apple and a cheese danish. The danish was polished off nearly before he had even reached the courtyard door, and he considered going back for another but decided against it. Friends before food. Was it sad that he needed to remind himself of this? Probably.

Spotting Andy in the courtyard, he bounded over to her in three steps before sitting opposite her at the courtyard table. "Sup, Andy?" He offered a cheerful smile, but his eyes peered at her seriously, analyzing.

Kenlei
A huge grin wreathed Kenlei's face as Blake spotted her and came heading right over. Now where was Ch--a loud clatter from her left had her jumping and gasping, nearly choking on the strawberry she had just tucked between her lips. She stared at the girl for a long moment as she coughed and then swallowed the strawberry. "God bless America, Charlie! What the heck are you doing sneaking up from behind?"

As Blake sat down, she smiled at him and then tattled on their other friend, "Charlie just scared the bejeezus out of me like a crazy person."

Turning her gaze on her new friend, she let her dark eyes wander over her clothes. Something was odd about what Charlie was wearing, and it wasn't her ratty sneakers (though those might be mentioned at a later time and date). Finally the weirdness snapped into place, "Where is your cloak?" Her eyes grew wide, and her voice lowered, "You're going to be in so much trouble if you don't put it on." Not that Kenlei was a strict rule follower, but she did respect most of the school rules.

Mia

Mia went back to her room after breakfast. She was intending to go, grab her bag, and then head to Professor Bell's office, but the big box sitting by her door caught her attention. She stared at it for a couple seconds. Her brothers couldn't keep a secret for the life of them - well, to be clear, Benjamin couldn't keep a secret for the life of him. He would have let it all spill in his letters. Her dad wasn't the kind of man to send surprises. And the chances of her mum sending something was farfetched, to say the least.

She knelt on the floor and opened the box with a quiet spell. She pulled the cooler out, not really getting what it was until she felt the cold coming off of it. She furrowed her brow as she slid the top off. What she pulled out was a small bouquet of white flowers. She didn't really know what kind they were, but she knew that they were beautiful. She looked into the box, and her eyes fell on a corsage. It had a silver band and white flowers, like the ones on the bouquet. Underneath it was multiple pieces of paper, with perfect, symmetrical writing.

She knew who it was now. She simultaneously put the bouquet and reached out for the letter. A grin split her face for the first time in weeks. She was dying of thirst and his words were her water. The letter was long, but that was good. That was better than the radio silence; far, far better. She read the precious papers again and again, searching for the answers for his quiet, but found nothing. Nothing to do with his impulsive request, either. As much as this frustrated her, the letter was enough. His words were enough.

The flowers were for the party, of course. She tested the corsage, clipping it around her wrist. It fit just right. She ran her finger around the flower petals, suddenly missing him so much more than before, something she didn't even know was possible. If only nothing had happened. If only this had been a normal month. She would have found a way to get Chris on campus. Eric too. Masks and all, they'd go to the parties that Mia was now having to go to alone.

Her heart ached. She sighed and took the corsage off. She walked into her room with the things that he'd sent her, carefully setting them down on her bedside table. She didn't have a vase, so she just used an old glass, filling it with water from the suite tap and setting it on her desk, the flowers reaching out to touch the empty air. She set the corsage and the letter on her desk. When she had a picture of herself, she'd copy it and send it to him. Though he couldn't see her in real life, he'd like that.

She gathered up her hunter research supplies and sauntered down to Professor Bell's office, her smile bright enough to give heaven a run for it's money.

Back