Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Mathias smiled a little "because it needs sunlight and probably something to formalize it" he reasoned "perhaps we can bring him back something to help or perhaps another plant for him?"

Lynna tried to imagine Grey's reaction if she brought him a plant and grinned. "He'd love that! He keeps his tree under this little light, and sometimes he goes around in the dark just so he doesn't use up his energy allotment and can keep it lit." Well, actually, he seemed to enjoy the dark, anyway, tree or no, but it was funny to see how much he'd give up for that one tiny tree. She looked up at Mathias curiously. "Are there plants that grow okay in low light?"

He nodded "I know just the thing" he smiled "on the way back we can get something. There is a cave on the route where some small plants grow " he explained

"So how did he get his hands on a tree?"

"I don't know," Lynna admitted. "I've never asked. I'm not... possative it's legal," she admitted sheepishly. He'd never offered any information about his baby tree, and she'd never asked. Grey had a lot of secrets, and not even her resiliant pestering could get them out of him.

He smirked "not technically no but as long as he keeps it to himself they won't ever bother him about it" he shrugged "world down there needs a bit more green if you ask me"

Lynna wasn't sure what good a color would do anyone, misunderstanding what Mathias meant, but she just nodded. "Sure. Most of it is just all grey and dreary, though some folk like it like that. Like Gray. He likes grey." She grinned at her own twisting of words.

Mathias chuckled "not what I meant" he said shaking his head "look around you! There's a whole wide world out here and your all down there with your heads in the sand" he lifted his goggles, squinting a moment while his eyes adjusted. His weren't as sensitive as others

She frowned up at Mathias. "You have some very strange references," she stated. "Of course we're down there, up here isn't exactly luxury living! Maybe people like me and you could make it, but some of the elders and all those kids sure couldn't."
She decided to ignore the part about "sand," figuring it to be a figure of speech even if she didn't get it.

"You call living down there luxury?" He raised a brow "tiny living spaces recycled air and water and bland food?" He shook his head "my dear...I think we have very different ideas of what luxury means"

Lynna shrugged. "At least I'm not completely blind down there or have sand in my-" She stopped short. "Under my clothes," she hastily adjusted. "It's not exactly great, I guess, but it's all anyone I've known has ever known, and I don't see making the move up here. Not that I care. The fewer people up here, the more space we have to explore!"

He smiled "I suppose that's true" he drew in a deep breath "certainly can't complain about the fresh air though" he looked back over at her again.

"But how much longer can they truly stay underground before we're over capacity?"

She thought the air up here without filters stank, but she wasn't about to say it. She was coming across as way too complainy already, and she hated how much she'd been defending the underground city.

She shrugged. "I dunno. I hadn't really thought of it. I guess we'll just move into another cavern. There's lots of unexplored tunnels, after all, and caves and things, right?"

He shrugged "sure I suppose" he said, he didn't think that humans belonged underground. Unpopular opinion he knew but didn't stop him from expressing it.

By the time they met back up with the group again it was lunchtime and they had stopped for a rest and food. Thus far no issues had arisen which was good.

"I don't like how quiet things are," grumbled a younger member of the party, a man who looked to be in his forties, but stress had aged him far beyond his natural years of barely thirty. "We should have seen a lot more than a single rabbit and some waving grass." He hunched over his bowl, eyes sharp, his scowl etched into his face like a crag in a rocky mountain face.

Lynna glanced at him curiously then looked to Mathias to see what he'd say.

"Isn't quiet a good thing?" Misty asked as she sat down with her own bowl.

"It is" Mathias agreed "we don't want trouble from the wild life or the top dwellers" he set his bag down but shouldered the riffle still. He didn't put that anywhere out of reach.

Jonah grunted, clearly unconvinced as he swallowed the last of his protein and mineral soup and hastily shoved everything back in his pack. "You call it good, I call it suspicious. The wildlife only disappears when there's something stirring."

"Oh, don't be such a drip, Jonah," Lynna said with a cheeky grin. "Maybe they are all taking a nap or scared away by your grousing."

Mathias smirked "we purposefully stick to a path that avoids the more dangerous areas. Like the woods" he said "don't forget we did see rabbits and I can still hear birds" he pointed out.

Misty was only about to start eating when her backpack started beeping, sounded like an alarm of sorts.

She hastily put her food down and pulled out her tablet and some odd looking hand held device that plugged into it, she frowned as she looked over the screen "I think we have a bigger problem.."

"Bigger problems? Like what?" Lynna asked, her spoon halfway to her mouth.

Jonah just smirked, making a very clear, "I told you so," expression as he stood and readied his weapon. Guns were scarce, but clubs were fairly common. His was a hard wood thing about four feet long and cored with lead and wrapped in thick hide. It could shatter bone. The few people willing to admit to getting smacked with the thing said they'd rather have been shot and gotten it over with.

Misty stood up and looked to the sky then back at her screen "storms coming in. Either our equipment back home his faulty or weather pattern changed but...we need shelter. Now"

"Can we make it back before it hits?" The leader of the group asked.

Misty shook her head "we have maybe half an hour" the weather was what kept them underground. What had changed things on the surface so drastically.

"Pack it up. I know a place in the woods we can shelter" Mathias said grabbing his pack again

Lynna packed up faster than she'd ever packed in her life then helped the others get packed. Jonah put away his club and also lent a hand getting everything ready. In record time, the group was ready to follow Mathias anywhere he led. Lynna swallowed a lump in her throat. She heard stories about the storms up here. Of course she did. Everyone did. She used to have nightmares about them, and now her nightmare was about to come right up in her face.

Back