Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Academie Delacroix

As written by Script

"That's alright." Arien laughed, "How are you all doing? Did ... uh, what's her name, get home yet? The one that went off with Malcolm?"

As written by Faithy

“Eh, it’s hard to say how we’re doing. I didn’t really get a chance to talk to Inarin and I haven’t seen Aaro yet. Celeste and I barely spoke as well. Yes, Rei’s back now… she seemed fine.” Jimmy shrugged a little despite the fact that Arien couldn’t see his motion. He shifted his eyes up to the sky and he studied it for a moment before glancing back towards the ground.

“I’ve got a broken elbow or arm or whatever and ribs, but I’m great. In truth, last night was something I’ve never experienced before and I want more. Being a Proselyte is great, but I know there’s more to life than just this and I want to soak it all in.” Jimmy was getting excited all over again.

As written by Script

Arien chuckled. "Just don't go too wild. You don't want the church kicking you out, right? I'm sure we can find you some new experiences that go a little more smoothly. Anyway, I'm glad everyone's at least in one piece, even if a bit battered. Rei especially, considering she didn't go home with you all. Say hello to them for me, and that I'm sorry for any hiccups to the night."

As written by Faithy

“Yeah… don’t want to be kicked out.” Jimmy frowned a little, wondering if being kicked out would be all that bad. Maybe he wasn’t meant to be a Paladin… maybe things weren’t how he thought they were this whole time. That thought bothered him because until last night, he had a plan and now that plan seemed absolutely stupid. Sighing, he just decided to focus on the here and now.

“Sure, I’ll tell them all hello and give them your apologies.” He sighed, extremely troubled by his conflicting thoughts.

As written by Script

"Alright, well, I'll see you around, Jimster. Until then." After a brief pause to wait for Jimmy to affirm the goodbye, the phone would go dead.

As written by Faithy

“Alright, Arien. Thanks again.” Once the phone went dead, he put into his pocket and glanced over towards Pierette, trying not to be a downer on the afternoon. He grinned and just shrugged before walking with her out of the school grounds and back to her car. He would just figure out things later and if he found something better than being a Paladin, then he would weigh his choices. Maybe he would meet a werewolf or a vampire like he’s wanted to do ever since he was a little kid and first heard about them.

“Ready to do whatever you had in store, Pierette.” Jimmy smiled and hoped that she was still willing to hook him up.

As written by Krysis

"Sounds like you had a good conversation." Pierette observed out loud as she unlocked her car. She had kept Jimmy walking and guided him through the various obstacles while he focused on the phone, so they hadn't lost any time stuck in the school.

"Why do you want to stay with the church, by the way? I don't even understand why Celeste does it, but it seems like you-- well, I wouldn't think you'd like all the restrictions they put on you guys." She asked, feigning curiosity. She had an idea. A wicked, cruel idea. It was her idea of fun, to push a person to their limits and see what sort of trouble she could get them into. And out of, for that matter, usually sadder but wiser. That Jimmy seemed to be willing for a second round of Perilous was amusing.

Her plans would depend on his answer, which was why she hadn't told him yet.

As written by Faithy

“Yeah, it was a pretty good conversation.” Jimmy slid into the car, musing on her question for a little bit. A week ago, hell a few days ago he wouldn’t have hesitated in answering it, but now he wasn’t so sure. He had always been curious about other things, but never to the point where he was questioning why he stuck with the church. Shaking his head, he glanced over towards Pierette and just shrugged a little.

“Well, to be honest with you, I have been with the church since I can remember. My mother died in child birth with me and my dad gave me over so that when he spoke with others, they would have something to focus on other than her death. I never knew anything else and though I’ve always been curious about other creatures such as vampires and werewolves, I never actively searched them out. Last night changed everything. Now I’m not sure of anything anymore.” Jimmy smiled faintly, having never told anyone exactly how he felt. Well, he let a little slip at that café, but Celeste’s reaction made him keep from saying anything further.

As written by Krysis

"Werewolves can be very ordinary. Most of them in this city claim to have been born to the curse, so they are just people. Who turn furry now and then. People are not necessarily good though. Some of the packs are downright--" Pierette paused to give Jimmy a wolfish grin, "Well, you're better off sticking with second-hand knowledge. Your position only protects you when you are with Your pack, the church. Otherwise, it is a big ole' target on your forehead."

"There are a few suckheads in the city, but I wouldn't count on them being able to talk to you. Most of the people that I know of that were attacked were alone and vulnerable, and didn't survive. Sometimes one or two show up that lived, but, again, not exactly conversation material." Pierette shrugged, not aware that the attacks she knew of were by vampires that had been unfortunate some how, and driven by desperation to do those things. And were likely 'taken care of' soon after, one way or another.

"So, let's go get high. We'll hang out in a nice little park near here, I think. Maybe later I'll take you to meet one of my friends, if you are up for it." Perilous offered, a bit more relaxed about her driving while they don't have far to go.

As written by Faithy

“Ordinary or not, I’m still curious. I don’t think people are good and I know that meeting up with a vampire or a werewolf or two is a dangerous thing, especially if they know I am with the church, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting to meet them regardless. Maybe it’s because I was never able to do anything dangerous as a younger child.” Jimmy shrugged knowing that what he wanted to do was looked down upon as being foolish and that it would probably never happen.

“Sure, let’s go get high. I’m up for anything and everything, Pierette.” Jimmy grinned and gave her a thumbs up. He was glad that she wasn’t driving like she had been driving earlier. This was a lot more relaxed and he honestly wanted to forget everything that had happened most of his life.

As written by Script

The music school of Académie Delacroix was an exorbitant affair. Consisting of three floors of teaching and practice rooms, several recording studios and computer suites, a purpose-built orchestral rehearsal room, and even an organ room - not to mention a concert hall capable of seating two hundred and fifty - the students of the academy wanted for little when it came to pursuing their musical talents. It was no surprise, then, that it consistently both attracted and produced young virtuosos.

Nathan was one such virtuoso, and it had been with the Académie's aid that he brought his talents to the stage. Of course, his father had his own connections, but Delacroix had a long history of putting its students on the stage - and held a lot of clout with a number of influential venues and agencies.

The practice room where Nathan liked to retire for a few hours each day after school before heading home was grand enough that it could easily have been mistaken for a parlor, were it not for the relatively sparse furnishings. The room's ceiling was elegantly arced to enhance its acoustics, and a grand piano took pride of place near to the window.

It was there that Nathan sat, absorbed in his music. As ever, Samson waited patiently nearby. Claire had gone to fetch some tea, and so the two were alone.

Out in the hall, the sound of Nathan's playing was largely muffled by the soundproofed walls. The corridor was well lit by a row of large latticed windows opposite the music room doors, letting the afternoon's light in - though the sky was dull and cloudy. Each window was set into a spacious alcove, making the corridor a popular place for students to sit with their lunches.

After the end of the school day, however, it was largely deserted - though the sounds of music emanated from a few of the other practice rooms, there were only two figures in the corridor itself. Leaning on the window in the alcove where they were seated and nestled contentedly against one another, the Castellane twins were apparently absorbed in reading a large, leather bound book that was perched across their laps.

Or at least, Valére was. Alvére seemed to be halfway between awake and asleep, his head resting lazily on his more studious brother's shoulder. Both were clad in the crimson blazer and black trousers of the Académie's uniform, making telling the two apart even more of a challenge when one wasn't close enough to note the faint swelling and bruising around Valére's lip. A pair of violin cases lay beside them in the alcove, propped against each other in a manner that, amusingly, somewhat resembled the position of the twins themselves.

Val cast a sidelong glance at his brother, as he slipped closer and closer to sleep. This close, he could make out the steadying of his breathing. Abruptly, however, Al's eyes snapped open and met his.

"You're doing that thing where you listen to me falling asleep, aren't you?" Alvére grinned sleepily. "I can tell, because you haven't turned the page in about five minutes."

Laughing sheepishly, Val returned the grin. "You caught me."

Al stretched out his legs for a moment, yawning before tucking them back up to snuggle further into Val's side. "Guuuh. When are we going hooome?" he whined.

"I'm sure it won't be long." Val rolled his eyes. Their driver was late, having run into an accident en route to the school, but they'd scarcely been waiting half an hour since their music practice ended. "Go back to falling asleep."

By way of response, Al mumbled something largely incoherent before relaxing, letting the conversation lapse into silence. Val chuckled to himself quietly, and leaned his head to one side to rest atop his brother's. Maybe Al had the right idea, and napping was a better way to pass the time than reading.

After all, there was only so many times Val could read the same page out of fear that turning it would disturb him.

As written by Emperor Jester

Like getting into anywhere, even the venerated halls of the Académie Delacroix might as well have been open gates, especially once the school day proper had been let out. It had...been a long time since he'd been here, not since the occasional visit for one of Avacyn's recitals. When she was young, when she was mortal, his sister had lived a more lenient life than all the others Caer children before here. She even went to a school, a proper school, instead of having the best in-home tutors money or death threats could buy.

She'd been extraordinary gifted at the harp, hand-held or symphonic. She had, in truth, opened Nox's eyes to the world of music, particularly classical, and then later, to instruments like the guitar, and to voices like those in the operas. To this day, the vampire was unsure if he had been more fond of his twin, or his younger sibling. These halls and walls were a swarm of memories of happier days, days even before the Skirmishes, when the scope of Father's ambition were known only to the Matrons and the Firstborns.

Still, most of it had barely changed. It took him little time finding the way to the music halls. He could smell Nathan, the mutt, the woman...And two other smells he recognized. Two faces that would recognize him. He'd stop in his tracks, about thirty feet down from a corner bend that led to the twins, hand stroking his chin. How best to proceed was the goal in mind here. Still...they may not recognize him. It wouldn't be an impossible coincidence, but despite his mercurial nature, Nox did not feel like tempting the string of good luck he'd been having lately, and they did not seem vapidly stupid like they carried themselves to be. There had been cunning in their eyes, knowledge of things most mortals did there best to never learn of, like they'd been exposed to HIS world already...

So ignoring them or relying on luck were both out of the question, from a reasonably standpoint. Intimidation then. With a grin similar to that of a shark, and with nary a thought, the halls would begin to flood with ice cold, spine crawling necrotic energy. Those attuned to the darker magics would feel the slightest of tugs on their lifeforces, while those ignorant of it would assume an unusually frigid breeze was passing over them. And then Nox would begin to walk, no longer masking his footsteps, letting each rise and fall carry his full weight into each step. It wouldn't take long for him to go around the bend, and come into open view.

As written by Script

It was Val who first noticed the shift in the atmosphere, the tug announcing Nox's presence. His lazy smile quickly faded to a frown, and he straightened in his seat - much to his brother's displeasure, made clear by the indignant and questioning whine that followed.

Val ignored it, instead nudging Alvére's arm to push him further into wakefulness. "Can you feel that?"

"Feel what?" Al blinked back sleep for the second time in the last five minutes, and only after several long moments did he properly register the unearthly chill. His brow furrowed in confusion. "Yeah, actually. Feels like..."

"Like a necrotic aura."

"Yeah, that. Weird, I guess, but it happ-"

Both boys took note of the approaching footsteps simultaneously, and turned to look towards their origin. Alvére was mid-sentence when he recognised the figure at the end of the hallway, and the words died on his lips. Malcolm. Until the other day, when Savien had questioned he and Arien about him, Alvére had hardly thought of the towering stranger who'd filled them with such a sense of unease at the party.

That unease was replaced by fear, now, in the revelations that conversation had brought. More so by what Arien had said to him later that day.

"If you ever see that Malcolm guy again, don't do anything to provoke him. Just get out of his way, out of his sight. As far away as you can. And call me. Trust me when I say that he's that dangerous."

The look in Arien's eyes when he'd said those words had banished any questions as to their seriousness. It wasn't clear how exactly his friend had known, but it seemed perfectly natural that he would. Arien just... knew things, like that.

This was bad.

He squeezed Val's hand, and felt his brother return the gesture. They'd talked about what Arien had said later that night. Valére had been more skeptical than him, but faced by the aura exuding from the man's body, he didn't think that there could be any more doubts.

"Is that-?"

"Yeah."

He was already grabbing for his bag, prompting Valére to do the same. There was no question in his mind that getting the fuck out of there was the right course of action - his body was practically moving of its own accord. Perhaps it was too much to hope that they could make themselves scarce before 'Malcolm's' attention fell on them.

Once he laid eyes on them, the smile already present on his face would turn grotesque with sick, almost feral glee. The aura would cease in an instant, sharpening to fine lines of malcontent, exuberance, and ill-will, reeking of violence and sadistic pleasure. With a sing-song tone, a single, solitary question would float down the hall on a whispered wind, a deep rumbling far more ancient and far more powerful than anything he had shown them at the rave. The words themselves seem to carry Death with them, feeling like a tidal wave of frozen ocean water slush had just washed over the poor Castellane twins.

"Where do you think
you're going~?"

As written by Script

Valére froze as though Nox's words had carried with them a far more tangible chill, shuddering and barely refraining from letting out a terrified whimper. Beside him, Alvére did not halt quite so readily. Though his eyes were wide with fear, and he all-but staggered under the weight of the dread utterance, his subconscious was still crying out to flee.

It was only the fact that Val had stopped in his tracks that kept him from his flight, trying to tug on his brother's arm to snap him out of it, to no avail.

Something seemed to give way in his mind, then, and he shifted position to place himself between Nox and Val. He stared back at the approaching man with what was intended to be defiance, but came across instead as the panicked eyes of prey backed into a corner.

"L-leave us alone!" He managed to stammer, voice shaking.

Behind him, Valére had recovered enough to shift his posture to one that vaguely implied support for his more vocal twin. His free hand grabbed hold of Al's like it was a lifeline, and he furrowed his brow as though focusing on something.

Nox's pace never seemed to gain momentum, never going faster than a listless walk, but the speed in which the nosferatu gained on the celebrity twins as startling. One blink, and he had just turned the corner, and the next, he seemed to have crossed a good portion of the distance. Perhaps it was a trick the fear was playing on them. Nothing could move that fast in such a sort amount of time after all.

With what seemed like considerable effort, the Caer Patriarch would raise an arm, a hand, a single finger and point straight at Alvére's chest, pale dead eyes focused with eerie intensity to where the beating heart would lie. The smell of terror and panic was intoxicating, especially coming from ones who seemed so very unaccustomed to such feelings, and he couldn't help but lick his cold, thin lips with an almost impossible long, tapered tongue. "I remember you two...From the rave, with the Proselytes."

A short, explosion of cackling laughter as he seemingly jumped forward again, now less than twenty feet away. "The boy you two were playing with...Inarin...Its a shame what happened to his family, isn't it? But that doesn't really matter right now, does it? Not when I have something far more important to ask the two of you." He'd stop then, dead in his tracks, eyes shifting onto Valére's quivering form. "The two of you spoke to me as if I were common trash. Really now...I hope the two of you had an excuse for being such rude hosts..."

As written by Script

Valére's eyes widened and his jaw dropped when Nox mentioned Inarin's family. "Y- It was you." His voice was scarcely more than a whisper. The subject of the circumstances surrounding the Nuvellon deaths hadn't come up in his conversations with Inarin over the last few days, for obvious reasons. Inarin hadn't brought it up, and Val certainly hadn't been going to. But what he did know, from the news stories surrounding it, was sickening. It had been a brutal massacre. The police and church had yet to make an official statement regarding the culprit, but speculation had been rife with suggestions of all manner monsters.

And now that monster stood before them.

"Who- What are you?" Alvére's efforts to keep the fear from showing in his voice were admirable, but ultimately futile. "How were we supposed to know..? You just- I ..." His ordinarily silver tongue was tied by panic, as he struggled to find an excuse he thought this madman might accept. But what was there to say? Somehow 'we didn't think you were a fucking walking nightmare that would hunt us down for it' didn't seem likely to appease him.

"You're one of them, aren't you," Valére spoke quietly, realisation creeping in. "You're not just a vampire. That much is obvious." His words, unlike his brother's, came steadily and without the same panic. It was clear that he was afraid, but he seemed more capable of controlling it now, keeping it below the surface. "Your eyes, your aura... it matches the descriptions. You're a Caer."

Something that Val was doing was pushing back against Nox's aura, in an attempt to give him and his brother some breathing room to control their emotions. The quieter twin was a necromancer of no small skill, but Nox's raw power was almost overpowering despite a relative lack of direction.

Though the twins were far too distracted to notice, inside the adjacent practice room, the music had ceased.

Nox's broad smile would only expand further, almost impossibly so, across his fair features. "See, I knew you two were smarter than you looked. You figured it out without so much as any real hints when the Church floundered around for months, thinking all my work, all my art, was just the work of some filthy bitch-son mutt."

The speed in which Nox recalled his aura might've given the magically attuned twin some sort of spiritual whiplash it was so sudden. The ceasing of music, like background noise to most, was an eerie, foreboding indication for the vampire. Perhaps he was being too showy, and it was time to reel it in a tad. He'd come here not to bully these paltry little flies into pissing their designer underwear, but for a different purpose entirely. The light would leave his eyes, and his cheeks would regain a pale semblance of living color, as the sickening grin abated, if only a little. There seemed to be a pained look on his face, like he was straining to keep something in check. The voice, now devoid of fel magic and ancient power, still carried easily across the hall.

"I'm only going to tell you once, just like I tell all the others. One simple tidbit of advice. You stay out of my way. You make sure you don't cross me. You will not tell anyone what I am. Who I am. Am I clear? Because if there is any sort of confusion at all, than speak up, because nothing in this city, nothing in this world, could stop me if I wanted to kill the two of you." There was a finality in the way Nox said that. "And you'd do well to remember this little...meeting...as the only warning you two will ever receive.

As written by Script

"We don't have any interest in getting in the way of a- in your way," Alvére bit back the words that he'd been about to say, not trusting the monster not to snap and murder them both if he so much as spoke out of turn. It rankled to be so thoroughly cowed, but his desire for self-preservation far outweighed even his lofty pride. "We're just- We're not suicidal."

Valére was silent, letting his brother speak as he reigned his own magic back in, the pressure of the Caer's aura abruptly alleviated. He was content to let Alvére speak for the both of them, in part owed to the fact that he wasn't sure how easily the Caer would see through him if he spoke. He found himself growing more attached to their proselyte friends by the day, and knowing that staying out of this monster's path was abandoning all of them to die by its hands? He wasn't sure how readily he could turn his back on them.

Al glanced back at his brother for a moment, noting his silence and his expression. His own face twisted into a frown of concern as he turned back to Nox, his voice still shaky as he spoke. "We're done here, right? We're not going to bother you, you're not going to murder us?"

"Murder you. I know I said I'd kill you both, but please, murder makes it seem like it matters to me if I swat you two away. Murder usually implies some kind of passion. You don't feel arousal when you step on insects unless you're some sort of deviant. It would just be...something I had to do. But as of right now...if you keep your ends of the agreement...You'll be safe." And despite no telepathic powers, Nox seemed to know exactly what was on their minds.

If only they knew!

If only they had the Vision to see what was in store!

"Fear not. I don't plan on slicing poor Inarin. That wouldn't be...fair. After all, he was the only one who was polite to me that night, who wasn't some high society whore or clearly drugged. Now, tell me, as I have an appointment to keep. Which was is the piano room? Or whatever it might be called. And before you ask, who that meeting with is none of your concern." There was a half-disguised growl there, a thinly veiled warning.

Back