Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Academie Delacroix

As written by Script

Alvére scowled at Nox's dismissive words, clenching his fists in frustration. Oh, but he hated feeling powerless. There were very few situations that he couldn't take control of through either his money, his looks or his necromancy. But as before, his pride was less important than staying alive.

"They... er, most of them have pianos," he answered with an uncomfortable glance towards the doors, knowing that probably wasn't an answer that the Caer wanted to hear.

He was saved from having to come up with a way to be more useful by the door one down from them cracking open. A familiar face poked out, as Nathan leaned on the door frame for support. "Is everything alright out here?" he asked with a frown. "Samson started whining at the door, and..." The boy trailed off, shaking his head.

"Y-yeah, everything's fine Nate!" Al called back, managing to sound almost convincing. "Sorry, Val was just ... showing me a new trick. Totally harmless, but maybe Samson picked up on it. Animals are kinda sensitive to that sort of thing." He hoped that the hasty explanation would be enough to get the young pianist to retreat back into his practice room and out of danger's way.

As written by Emperor Jester

They knew him. This could be disastrously fun! For now, Nox would just watch the twins and Nathan chat away, until the Castellane's figured it out. It wouldn't take long for them to put it together, he bet. At least one of them was very bright. And a potent enough necromancer, which was a surprise. No wonder that welpling Arien had picked up on these two. Out of a set of twins, at least one of them had to be useful.

Those were Nito's words coming into his head. The words of his Father. The words his elder brothers had always taunted him with during the struggles of his youth, and early immortality.

As written by Script

"Oh, it's you two." Nathan's tone seemed to suggest that he wasn't surprised that whatever had been going on was their fault. "Well, if you're sure..." The younger boy shrugged. "How come you two are here so late, anyways?"

Al glanced back at Nox for a moment, finding the smile on the Caer's face to be frankly more alarming than a scowl would have been. "Our driver got delayed," he replied, now more carefully controlling his voice to try and reassure the younger boy that all was fine. No doubt he suspected that whatever had been going on was just the pair of them doing things they shouldn't have been doing with necromancy. It wouldn't have been the first time. "Some sort of accident."

"But he should be here in the next few minutes," Val cut in. "We were just about to leave."

"Alright... I'll probably talk to you tomorrow during the rehearsal, then." It was apparent that Nathan was about to retreat back into the practice room, a farewell already forming on his lips.

As if it were the simplest thing in the world, Nox would throw his voice, making him sound much further away that he currently was. "Oh! Nathan! And the Castellane twins! What a surprise! To think I'd run into you two so late in the evening." A chuckle that sounded like it was caught joyously off-guard, coming closer and closer. "Not sure if you remember me, Nathan, but we met the other night. Does the name Dorian ring a bell?"

As he spoke, the Caer Lord would fix the twins with a glare, that light coming back to his eyes. A finger would move up to his lips, as if shushing them, before mouthing the words 'Remember', somehow in an obviously arrogant tone despite not creating a sound. Such was the magic of vampires, one could suppose. "Actually, I'm glad I ran into either way! I was hoping you've had time enough now I could politely ask you if you'd considered more on my offer?"

As written by Script

Both twins' eyes widened as they realised that, far from potentially escaping the accidental notice of the Caer, Nathan was the reason for the monster's presence. And they'd met before? The pair exchanged a glance. This couldn't be anything but bad news.

The blind pianist seemed relatively unperturbed - clearly ignorant of the man's nature, as he smiled towards the apparent source of the voice, straight past where Nox was actually standing. "Oh, hello again?" Nathan was obviously a little taken aback that 'Dorian' was at the school, but he seemed more curious as to the reason than concerned.

"Ah, well. I'm certainly still interested," he answered. "It would be nice to get a chance to meet people from outside the Académie. Claire seemed to be okay with the idea, but even with her on board, I'm going to have to figure out a way to get there and back. I know mother wouldn't approve, and I don't think I can trust any of our drivers not to tell her or father about any detours..."

He laughed, realising that he was going on. "Long story short, I'm still figuring out the details, but I'd like to take you up on it."

Throughout this, the twins had remained speechless. Al was practically twitching with the desire to warn Nathan what he was dealing with, but he knew that doing so was a death sentence. Whatever the Caer planned for the poor boy, he wouldn't look kindly on any interference. But saying nothing was condemning him to... whatever fucked up shit the man had in store for him.

Picking up on his despair, Val squeezed his brother's hand, meeting his eyes and shaking his head. Intervening would more than likely just get all three of them killed. If they were to do anything, they'd have to figure it out later.

"That might be the best piece of news I've heard all day, Nathan. If I can meet up with her again, I'll talk to Claire about some ideas me and my associates are having for the next venue. We're planning something for when the festivities begin to die down. You know, when people actually start to have some free time again. Things have been so hectic lately, its nice to think about the city finally calming down."

The entire time Nox spoke, his eyes kept frantically passing back and forth from twin to twin, and the vampire always seemed to be on the losing end of a fight against bubbling laughter. The Caer would keep it together though, even if just barely. "Speaking of that wonderful woman, she wouldn't happen to be far, would she? I didn't get to catch up to her after your show the other night, and she seemed eager to talk to me some more."

As written by Script

"She went to the music office to fetch some tea about five minutes ago," Nathan answered. "She's probably talking to Mrs Lacroix right now." He smiled faintly, shrugging his shoulders. "I haven't had a chance to go to the festival, so far. Big crowds always make things a bit difficult, and after the werewolf attack the other day... I don't think mother would even consider letting me."

At that moment, a bright and cheerful tune began to blare from inside Alvére's pocket, cutting across the conversation. He scrambled to grab hold of the phone. "That's probably our driver!" he blurted, almost dropping the phone in his haste to pull it out and glance at the screen. "Yup, that... that's him."

"We should get going, then," Valére cut in. The twins stepped back tentatively as if testing to see whether the Caer would stop them, starting down the hallway if he didn't.

"Bye," Nathan waved one hand in their direction, furrowing his brow. They were certainly behaving oddly. He'd never heard either of the older boys stammer before, or be so eagerly punctual.

Nox would wave to the twins, making no other movements or gestures that might indicate his stopping him. "Yes, yes, if you two must run along, so be it." The words were soft and full of what seemed like genuine mirth. "Just remember what we talked about the other day. I'm sure I'll see one of you sooner or later."

Then, eyes and attention on the prodigy, pupil's narrowing to thin slits. He'd remain silent, until the twins were well off on their way. If Nathan didn't say anything, one could call it an almost uncomfortable silence. "Nathan, I am glad to hear that you're interested. Truly, it warms my heart. I don't make these sort of inventions lightly. Would you mind if I waited around with you for your assistant to return? I have some things I'd like to discuss with the two of you."

As written by Script

"Go ahead," Nathan smiled. "She shouldn't be too long."

He stepped back, holding the door of the practice room open for Nox. "There's plenty of room to sit around, so take your pick."

The spacious practice room was furnished with an elegant, old-fashioned couch with curled wooden armrests and plump, comfy looking seats. As well as that, there were several similarly antique-looking chairs and stools. Claire's bags were positioned by one end of the couch, whilst Samson lingered behind Nathan's legs, watching Nox with a subdued stare.

Once Nox had moved through the door, Nathan let it close and took his seat back at the piano. "Did you enjoy the performance, by the way?" he asked as he brushed his fingers idly over the keys.

In the meantime, the twins had disappeared around the corner and out of sight.

The couch was the object of Nox's immediate affection, plopping his giant frame down onto it like he was at home. Anything that gave him an opportunity to lounge and stretch out usually earned an immediate cat-like response from the overly dangerous vampire, and soon his knees were hanging over one end, using the opposite end as a headrest.

"Yes, very much so. Normally I'm the sort of individual that prefers string instruments, but I certainly enjoyed myself, that's for sure." He'd beckon then, not to the boy, but to the dog. "Poor fella. His tail is still tucked between his legs. Whatever those boys had been doing in the hall before I arrived must have really spooked the big guy."

As written by Script

"Well, that's the Castellanes for you," Nathan remarked with a frown. "They don't think about anyone but themselves." He paused, then, shaking his head. "No, that's not quite fair. They've actually been a lot better lately, I'm not sure why, but I'm definitely not going to complain about it."

He reached down to pet Samson, who was continuing to stare mournfully at Nox, when the door swung open again.

"Sorry, hun, I got caught up talking to Josephine- sorry, Mrs. Lacroix, but I've got the- Oh!" Claire trailed off as she noticed 'Dorian' sprawled on the sofa, blinking in surprise. She carried with her two mugs of steaming hot tea. "Dorian. From the concert? How ... unexpected?"

Her expression made it clear that she was a little alarmed that the all-but-stranger had waltzed in without her realising, and she felt a pang of guilt for leaving Nathan alone.

"They're of that lot, to be sure, but I'm sure they've got a lot of potential to be better than they currently ar-." Nox would cut himself off as Claire entered the scene, giving her a toothy grin from his relaxed position on the sofa. "Ah, Miss Claire. It is certainly good to see you again." Something about the way those eyes seemed to shimmer and sparkle in the faintest of lights gave the strange man an otherworldly look as he sat up.

"I had business in the area, and I have a great fondness for this school. Truth be told, running into you and Nathan here was unexpected of course, but I like to think its a pleasant enough surprise. Your charge was even kind enough to invite me into the room to wait and catch up." A pause, as Nox very clearly looked over the assistant's attire and curves beneath them. "You look marvelous today, might I add."

As written by Script

Claire blushed as Nox ran his eyes over her, failing to suppress a delighted smile at the compliment. "W-well, thank you. You don't look too bad yourself." She hesitated, biting her lip. "Ah, that is to say, you look as finely dressed as you were the last time I saw you. Planning another evening out?"

Her eyes slid over to Nathan as she moved to deliver his tea to him, only to find him sporting a knowing smirk, his arms folded.

"What?" she demanded, placing the mug down.

"Hm? I didn't say anything," Nathan's teasing tone made it clear that he knew exactly what she meant. Claire cleared her throat.

"Right, well ... anyway. So, have you two talked about that social thing again, then?" Claire hastily changed the subject as she took a seat on one of the chairs with her own tea.

"If I'm not cooped up at the office," Nox would begin, after the adorable pair had their little words at each other, "Then I like to spend almost every night out and about. Its the best way to meet all the right people. The right name will get you into almost any sort of event. I got those VIP stage passes, in truth, from a man whose son is employed at a large scale printing service. Got them for a very good price." Free. Out of a dying teenager's hand.

"And I had brought it up in passing, and Nathan has said his peace. Like I told him, I'm rather delighted that the he's considering it. As his assistant, you'd be welcome as well, dear. Also..."

Nathan and the mutt might recognize the shift in his voice, but might also find it impossible to place. Even with the question's not directed at him, it would most likely be difficult for the virtuoso to not come under the sway of the cold, charismatic, cloying aura now emanating from the Caer calling himself Dorian.

"...There is something I asked him last time. Something he gave me an answer to. I asked him...how much would he give to have his vision back? He said he'd give anything..." A brief pause, to cross one long leg over another. "What do you think of that answer?"

As written by Script

"Anything?" Claire frowned faintly, picking up on a shift in Nox's manner, but failing to take note enough to question it. "I don't know. I suppose it's not my place to say... Even after all these years, I only have half an idea what it might be like to be in his position. I know I'd hate it, being so... dependent on people."

They were words that Claire would never have spoken under normal circumstances, but coaxed as she was by the Caer's aura, they flowed freely. "But... as far as I can tell, what he's got... he has great friends, a caring family, an amazing career... I feel like if I were in his place, I'd regret giving any of those things up."

Nathan's expression was solemn, his head tilted toward the floor. Claire was right, in some ways. He would hate to sacrifice any of the things she mentioned. But... there was always time to make new friends, he scarcely saw his parents regardless, and as for his music? Well, he'd already said that he wouldn't give that up. He was still young. If he had a chance at life free of his ailments, even if it meant leaving his current life behind?

He would take it.

"Family certainly is important. Friends are as well, though I'd say to a lesser extent. And his career is not in jeopardy if he plays his cards right." Nox would explain. He'd place his hands on his knees, sitting up straight and proud, using the pause to take in a deep breath, as if he needed to. "It's very possible to have a certain procedure done, flawlessly, and live your life in the social limelight until the end of your days. It can be done in a time frame of anywhere from a minute to several hours, depending on the patient and their medical history. I like to do things for those I take an interest in. So I've done some snooping into medicine outside of whats normally found in Lutetia, in truth, outside of Issunar. I've found some remarkable things, and most importantly..."

"I think I may have found something for Nathan's condition. But...given his heart..." A frown to the boy, one of genuine sympathy. "There is a chance the procedure could have some mortal consequences."

As written by Script

There was a long silence as the two took in Nox's words. Claire was frowning, her eyes speaking of confusion and disbelief. "I... I'm sorry if I hesitate to take you at your word, Dorian," she replied after a moment. "A stranger showing up, claiming to have the means to work a miracle... it rings alarm bells, you know? Nathan's parents have looked, and found no trustworthy or reliable means to help him. They aren't exactly lacking for resources."

"So tell us about it," Nathan interjected. "What is this procedure? Where does it take place? What country? What does it involve? Is it based in medicine, or magic?" It was clear that he wanted to believe Nox was telling the truth, but wasn't going to get his hopes up. This was ridiculous, right? Strangers didn't just turn up and ... fix you. Not in the real world.

Nox would ignore the woman for now, letting her flap her lips about things she couldn't comprehend, things she was choosing not even consider. Nathan however had hope. He was willing to look outside the box. Long, pale fingers would interlock each other as the Caer leaned forward, his attention fully on the boy now, though that hardly saved Claire from the clinging, bewitching miasma.

"Its smart of you to ask. Its a procedure invented by doctors from an isolated clan, but it is magical in nature. Before you ask, when I say clan, I do not mean barbarians in pelts and stone axes. These are a long lived people, and are only perhaps a decade or two behind Lutetia in progress. Not that we are an impressive lot on the global scale, but it shows they aren't backwater hicks."

A hand would reach out for the young prodigy, but not touching, hoping Nathan would reach the rest of the way, despite his blindness. Nox had a feeling the lad would know where he was anyway. "And its rather intense. You could die. But if you don't, your ailments would be fixed. You'd be stronger. Faster. Your music could evolve beyond something you'd ever be capable of normally."

The nosferatu was smiling so wide, the corners of his lips slipped past the point he'd designed the glamour for. Claire, if she was paying attention, very close attention, the assistant might see a shark-like fang or two...

As written by Script

And Claire was paying attention. Something had started to feel wrong about this whole affair. Very wrong. Why had she just let a complete stranger walk into Nathan's dressing room on the night of his performance? And while she wasn't even there? It went against every protective instinct she'd developed for her young charge over the years, and yet she'd done it without a second thought.

Now that same stranger had just 'happened' to walk into Nathan's school unannounced, and was offering some miracle healing? No, this didn't add up, it-

And then she saw the fangs.

The young aide visibly paled, though as soon as she realised her reaction she did everything she could to suppress it. Her heartbeat quickened and her mind went into overdrive. She was in a room with a vampire. Nathan was being targeted by a vampire. Oh God. She had to think quickly.

Unlike her, Nathan seemed entirely entranced by the coercive energies directed towards him. The boy lifted his hand to reach out and meet Nox's without even thinking about why, or how he knew to. "I... I want to believe you," he said softly. "But it just sounds... too good. How likely am I to ... not make it?"

Feigning the act of slipping her hand into her pocket and being surprised at what she found there, Claire clicked her tongue in annoyance. "Ah, crap. I just realised I forgot to give Josephine her hand mirror back. I should do that before I forget and take it home with me. Don't make any decisions without me, alright Nathan?"

To her credit, her voice didn't waver. It was a well-made lie, from a girl who had a fair amount of experience deflecting an overprotective employer and her own pushy parents. She rose to her feet and smiled, starting for the door. "I'll be right back."

She hated to leave Nathan on his own with Dori- it, but she couldn't do anything to help either of them while it was right there. She had to get out so she could call for help.

As if violently jerked by a marionette string, Nox's gaze would fall upon Claire, those once charming eyes now bloodshot beyond belief, pupils impossible thin, filled with a malevolent shimmer. An icy hammer would fall upon her mind if she made eye contact for a second, a glance, and it would feel like she was being swallow by snow into a deep slumber.

All while doing this, his cold dead fingers would grip boy's hand with intense strength bordering on painful. So cold. So very cold, like an iron vice left out in a blizzard. "The chances are great, Nathan. But death isn't the end people make it out to be. I've lived four hundred years, boy. Almost five. Death was my first trial, one we all must face eventually. But its conquerable, if you have strong allies to help you."

Soon, that hammer, regardless if it had worked on the woman or not, would begin to test the defenses of Nathan's thoughts, urging him to rest his eyes, and accept the embrace of dreams.

Back