Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Vargeras

as written by Tiko

Julienne snorted as she gave up on the television and tossed the remote aside. "At least go take a shower first," she told him.

Tactful as ever.

"And seriously, get some entertainment in here," she complained. "Or at least some food."

She rolled over on her side so she could prop her head up on her hand to look at Ragenard.

"And are you going to tell me what the fuck is going on with you and Baron yet?" she asked. "Baron's not saying shit to anyone."

as written by Dashmiel

Ragenard grunted midway through removing a set of bloody tatters that passed for a shirt and took care to exaggeratedly make sniffing noises as he stuffed his face near his armpit. “It ain’t that bad, I had to ford a river a few times yesterday” he added with a smirk as he finished undressing.

“Plus, you’ve seen this place. Fuck you think the shower here spews out?” he added as he made his way to the bathroom.

“Besides, food costs money better saved for whiskey, and who needs entertainment when you keep barging in?” called out Ragenard briefly from the bathroom as the sound of a creaky pipes gave way to rushing water.

“In 15 minutes maybe I’ll have something approximating piss warm water” groused Ragenard under his breath as he turned in time to catch Julienne shifting around on the bed and turning to look at him. For a moment his thoughts began to turn visibly bawdy before his brain registered the question lobbed his way.

Wordlessly, Ragenard walked towards the edge of the bed, his eyes never straying from Julienne’s as he slowly crouched so he was eye level with her.

“Juls” he began, his expression and tone softening uncharacteristically.

“This…is not easy for me to talk a-about” he explained, his voice catching emotionally on the last word.

“I…I feel….Like I fucking already answered the fucking question and that I’m way too fucking sober to go into that with you. Might not even be enough liquor in the world, so sod off” he groused as his voice returned to its usual pitch.

“It en’t complicated. Fucker thinks a certain way, I disagree, end of story. Now…” he added as he stood up and pointed towards the bathroom.

“I’m going in there to try to shower without finally snapping and bringing the building down as a favor to the city” he said as he moved off towards the bathroom, absentmindedly cracking more of floor tiles under his heavy tread.

“I had a really shitty past two weeks getting cockteased only to have the climax last two seconds when I caught up to the fucker I was tracking."

"So you do whatever the fuck it is you want to do, but soon after not smelling like shite I plan to go out drinking, fucking, and eating, and fuck if the order matters”
he called out from the bathroom as pathetic tendrils of steam began to waft out.

as written by Tiko

Anger flashed through Julienne's eyes, and it quickly became a swirl of golden-amber that left goosebumps dancing along the both of their arms as Ragenard walked away from her.

"Well whatever it is, I hope it's fucking worth it," Julienne spat out after him as she sat up. "We could have used you with Baron making a move on Scion territory," she growled.

She got up, grabbing her jacket up from the bed where she had discarded it earlier and made for the door.

as written by Dashmiel

The sound of broken and smashed furniture and wood exploded in the room as Ragenard moved with preternatural speed out of his bathroom and took everything in his path with him.

"Explain. Now."
His eyes already were the custard consistency that betrayed his sudden transformations.

as written by Tiko and Dashmiel

"Fuck you," Julienne spat as she jerked the door open to depart.

____

"Oh no. I ain't letting that slide, and you know it. You said the magic word" replied Ragenard as he forcefully slammed the door shut, causing one of the hinges to break off comically.

____

"Don't you even dare pull that shit," she growled. "You piss off without a word to anyone, and not even so much as a fucking explanation, and now you want me to spill pack business for you? Are you in, or are you out?"

____

"If it involves Scion, you bet your perky ass I'm in, but it ain't for the pack." he growled in reply "Baron made it clear I can't get involved in that when I left, because I did leave if you want to know, but that's all you'll get. Now spill the beans so I can decide how I'm going to crack some skulls on my own and maybe keep you fuckers alive." he spat as he began to try to put the door back together with little success.

____

Julienne seethed as she warred with her temper, and the fact that Ragenard had given her the explanation she wanted - albeit half-assed. The wolfish gleam didn't fade from her eyes, but she left the door handle go as Ragenard made a valiant effort at repairing the state of the door.

"They took Jesse," she said finally.

____

"They...that's actual action, they have been too busy with their tails between their legs for ages. I fucking knew some shit like this would happen, you guys have been doing fuckall for a while now and none of it made sense. Jesus, the balls..." Ragenard trailed off as he got lost in thoughts of the past.

"You say Baron is sanctioning taking them to task?" He asked, his expression shifting down from anger and settling for puzzlement.

____

"What the fuck would you have him do?" she asked. "Abandon one of ours? And those shit stains have been eyeing our territory for years. If we don't retaliate they'll see it as weakness and make a move on the pack. Better to confront them in a time and place of our choosing," she growled.

____

Ragenard was silent as he considered the ramifications.

"I picked a shitty time to complicate my standing with the pack, fucking fuck...When?"

____

"I don't know," Julienne admitted with a scowl. "He hasn't said. It took us this long just to find out where they were holding Jesse. They have to expect we'll come after him, and Baron knows it too."

____

"I don't think Baron might appreciate my involvement...but I have beef with those fuckers and he knows it, so I doubt he'll stop me....He might not like it, but I'll be there when it goes down, and god helps whatever gets in my way" growled Ragenard as a hungry glint came to his eyes.

____

"I'll let you know when I know more," Julienne said.

She moved past him then, heading for the bathroom and shedding her own clothes as she went.

"Guess the order of things I'll be doing has been decided then" muttered Ragenard with a smirk before following, careful not to break his shitty room any more than it already was.

as written by Brokowski and Sentry

Meanwhile, at the Medical Examiner's Office...

The cadaver looked around, taking in his surroundings. A stern gaze carried over to Felix.

"Where is my family?" he asked, voice deep and guttural with decay.

Jeanne stood by silently, her own expression grim. How did one explain to a walking corpse that he, and his whole family, was dead or gone?

Ninette cowered at the door, but she peered in with morbid curiosity.

"Dead, along with yourself, if that wasn't immediately apparent." Felix shrugged, adopting a nonchalant cadence as he strutted around the room. His methods were rarely so blaise, and rarely so contradictory, but he figured he may as well take advantage of his temporary bodyguard. Communicating with the deceased could get terribly dull on occasion.

"Now, I'm sure that's a lot to process and all but.." Felix paused before the reanimated corpse for effect. "the only thing I can offer you now is an assurance of justice, assuming you're honest with me."

Bonner was almost disappointingly restrained, offering little more than a nod in response. Felix repeated the gesture taking it as a cue to continue his interrogation from beyond the grave. "For starters, withholding the obvious, did you have any enemies? I'm talking names, not just certain occupations you may have wrongly slandered in the past."

The torn and ravaged corpse snarled, slopping out fluids from the holes in his cheeks. Jeanne's trigger finger quivered, but she didn't move.

Bonner slouched toward Felix with a wheeze that fouled the air. His eyes narrowed to sinister slits. "I... thought everyone was on my side," he breathed. "The Church. The community. All except... obvious nasty folk. I didn't meet any names, but my trucks were stolen regularly. My family threatened." He grimaced, red in his eyes.

"But it was a necromancer woman who helped us."

Jeanne blinked. "What?"

Playing detective was beginning to become quite entertaining. Of course, Felix doubted some of Lutetia's less savory types would be so receptive as Mr. Bonner. Death had a way of loosening the lips as long as you didn't account for the rigor mortis.

"A necromancer woman?" Felix cocked his brow, this was certainly an unexpected development. "What, exactly would a necromancer be doing to help the likes of you? If my memory isn't failing me, you were less than fond of ou.." Felix smiled sheepishly. "Ahem, their kind."

Luckily the decaying figure before him didn't seem to take notice of the necromancer's brief mistake. Even though he doubted his occupation was up to speculation at this point, the last thing Felix wanted was to miss out on a paycheck because his tongue slipped.

The words came out in gurgles. "Said... she could make a difference..." And they became a growl. "Said... she'd change my mind..."

And his shoulders bobbled. A chuckle.

"Should never have let her in."

"Careful now, don't want you getting too worked up. Clearly your spirit is vigorous but the longer this goes on, the more prone you are to damaging your vessel." Felix was frankly impressed, it wasn't often he came across such lucid souls, then again, fresh dead were relatively rare in his experience.

"This woman, she got a name? Anything we can use to look her up?" The necromancer spoke, struggling to find a balance between assertive and sentimental.

"Also, detective, you been writing any of this down?" He cast a quick glance to the civil servants behind him. "I'm not a very good multitasker."

"You could say I have an excellent memory for this kind of thing. Not like I can tell my colleagues I got answers from Bonner himself," Jeanne replied with a smirk. "I'll work backwards once we have a name."

The corpse stared at them blankly for a second, having lost his way in the conversation. And as he opened his mouth to respond, a sound froze Felix's company altogether.

A door opened. Then squeaked shut.

Jeanne moved to the door, moving Ninette inside with Felix with a sweep of her foot.

She pointed her gun down the hallway. "Mister Collins. That name. Get that name."

"It's Corbin, not Collins, a little professional courtesy would be appreciated." Felix grimaced, clearly things were about to go tits up or they already had and he was too groggy to notice it. "The things I do for a living wage."

The change in situation had changed both the necromancer and his informant's dispositions. Felix could feel a swell of panic and excitement in his chest while Bonner seemed to be rendered all but catatonic. Working under pressure was not the man's forte and the corpse seemed to be even more useless in that regard.

Biting his lip just hard enough to draw blood, Felix took what few droplets of the sanguine liquid he could coax onto his finger and smeared it hastily onto the corpse's forehead. The idea of forensics and other such repercussions eluding him entirely. For now he was focused on getting the name and hauling ass as quickly as possible.

"Just a little longer and you can rest, I promise." The necromancer could hear the desperate frustration in his own voice as he traced a minuscule symbol into the small red pool he'd created. "Tell me who killed you, who killed your family."

Bonner's jaw hinged open as he gasped. A roar tore through the air, shaking the air around them. Whether it was from Bonner or their unexpected visitor, it wasn't apparent.

As the roar faded, another sound replaced it, a deep hum that was light at first, then grew. Another door opened and closed.

"What in Elueu's sacred name," muttered Jeanne.

With the noise drowning his thoughts and words, Bonner leaned forward once again, till his carved face was skin-to-skin with Felix's.

"The bear... " he spat.

The hum began to beat against the hallway door right in front of them. Jeanne tensed. "MIster Corbin! Now is a good time!"

If the situation were less dire and his occupation not so suited towards rotting flesh, Felix assumed the smell emanating from Bonner's mouth could have knocked him straight on his ass. Fortunately enough, he both managed to stay on his feet and make out what he assumed were the corpse's final words.

"Does 'The bear' ring any sort of bell or should I have another go?" Felix all but shouted over progressively worsening pangs. If he managed to get out of the situation with naught but a case of tinnitus he'd figure himself lucky.

"The bear? You're joking. Right?"

There wasn't time for jokes, as much as Felix would have loved to shoot the shit for a bit longer. Nah, it was time for action, which wasn't exactly a medium's specialty. With a grim smile he grabbed the nearest scalpel. If there was one benefit of necromancy it was that he had innoculated himself to nearly every death borne disease before he'd opened shop.

"YOU LOVE YOUR FAMILY?" The necromancer shouted into the now gaping hole that had been Bonner's left ear. "Well let's hope that love's strong, eh?" Felix's smile faded, the curl of his lips turning to a quiver as he slashed open his palm and pressed it against the largest wound on Bonner's neck.

"I do not offer you peace in this life." Felix spoke, his voice just loud enough for anyone in the vicinity to hear. "But I promise you rest in the next, with your kin curled against you in comfort." The necromancer flicked his fingers at the corpse, bringing it back to life for what seemed to be the fourth time.

"Just make sure we make it out of this fucking crypt alive." Felix roared, the adrenaline of the situation overtaking him as he made towards the door. "And you'll have your justice."

With that, the restrainments around Bonner seemed to falter. If he was a large man in life, he seemed even larger in death The physical bindings tore as easy as parchment. Even the sigils that Mr. Corbin had put into place faded into non existence. This was his beast now and if he didn't cooperate, Felix could put him down with a flick of his wrist. Such was the bond of blood.

Ninette very swiftly moved out of the way, rushing towards Jeanne as Felix finished his spell. The young girl wasn't used to necromancy and magic. The detective was all too familiar with it.

"You know how illegal this is, right?" she called to him. Not that it mattered right now. Something awful was on the other side of that door.

Jeanne's hands almost started shaking when the banging started. Dents formed into the metal doors. Small ones, but worrying.

And, before she was even ready for it, the doors flew open.

The detective wasn't frightened of many things. People she knew, threatened and dying, sure. Her own death, not so much.

Being eaten alive? Yeah, that kind of scared her.

So when a black cloud of humming insects pushed through the doors and towards the group, the Bloodhound wasn't at all sure how to react except to throw up her arms and cover her eyes.

The sacrificial lamb, a universal concept. Sadly, Bonner was neither adorable nor covered in wool. That being said, he was a relatively large man while alive and via bloat and magic he was even larger in death.

"At least he won't feel it." Felix murmured inaudibly before urging his arisen forth into the oncoming swarm. With any luck, the flesh golem would make it far enough into the hallway to give the rest of them some chance at escape. It wasn't a flawless plan but unless one of the living was specifically targeted, it'd work.

As the walking corpse lumbered forward like an oak waiting to collapse, the necromancer looked to Jeanne and Ninette. "Illegal? Sure. But you can wait until we're out of here to put me in irons." The tinge of panic in his voice was thinly veiled by the sarcasm of his words.

"Either way, if we see opportunity, we should hurry the fuck up."

Jeanne lowered her arms to see that the golem was blocking the source of her concern. She grabbed for Ninette and Felix to usher them in front of her. "Run, just run ahead of me!"

Her gun was pointed out behind her as she ran after the others, eyes never leaving the sight of the golem or the insects that were trying to swiftly devour it with no trace. That wasn't the end of their tirade, however. Slivers of the buzzing cloud zoomed past the golem and made a beeline for them.

"There's an exit to the left! It... I have keys... I..." Ninette fumbled with a ring jangling with them, her nervous fingers desperately trying to find the right now. "Has a little orange sticker on it-" She held it up. "Left! Door at the end!"

The detective grit her teeth. "Keep running! Fast as you bloody well can!"

The floor was marble. Smooth. Easy to slip if you were being reckless and running at top speed through the hallways. Their turn was sharp, a direct right angle to the next hall, and Ninette in her flats skidded.

The hall was alive with the sound of carnivorous and voracious insects, making it hard for Felix to focus much on what the women flanking him were saying. Sadly, necromancy didn't extend to enhancing one's physically capabilities and if he lived, the Lutetian was quite sure he'd develop one hell of a case of tinnitus.

Luckily, the words he could make out were quite direct, especially given how linear the hallway was. Not being a beacon of dexterity and bereft of any real traction, it was hard to avoid the coroner who'd come to a stop in front of him. Not wanting to cause the human equivalent of a train crash, he managed to change direction just enough to avoid Ninette and bounce off the wall in front of her with the litheness of a crippled acrobat.

After performing what was, in his mind, a feat of pure grace, he found his footing more quickly than he thought possible. Deciding he'd rather not have Ninette's death on his conscience (she was taking a risk helping them, after all) Felix made a quick grab for the woman's wrist, hoping his forward momentum would keep her moving. Ninette just barely regained her balance as she followed Felix's movement.

"All this fucking marble for a morgue and they wonder why half of Lutetia is a slum." The necromancer muttered despite finding himself short of breath. It was funny how the mind worked in times of mortal danger.

Jeanne, though the oldest of the group, wound around the corner much more fluidly- both thanks to grippy boots and much required athleticism for a job like this.

She could see it, that door that was at the front of the morgue, which was adjacent to the main office and the receptionist's desk.

Which slowly became framed by the black beatles that had zoomed ahead of them. Squeaking to a halt near the door, Jeanne lashed around to face the source of the swarm.

"Open it. Open it now. Ignore the bugs and open it now!"

Beatles crawled down the door as Ninette slammed into it and juggled her keys, jumping off and slapping into them. It wasn't long before they started to bite and gnaw into their skin.

Several gunshots went off in the dark.

Felix couldn't help but think of beatle in the jar as the insects did their best to all but burrow into his flesh. It was almost humorous that something he thought irrelevant could very well be the death of him.

"Get that fucking door open." He managed between gritted teeth, the bastards could have his skin, his eyes, whatever they wanted, but there was no way in hell he was going to swallow one.

The helpless feeling grew stronger as the gunshots fired off, the necromancer was confused and briefly recalled the peashooter he carried on him. His arms went nearly slack as his hand fell to his waist. If the door didn't open soon, Felix had no issue with taking the coward's way out, something he was sure hadn't even crossed Jeanne's mind.

With a couple pulls of the trigger he could make this whole ordeal easier for the three of them and at this distance everyone was a marksman.

The young girl's heavy breathing turned into hoarse screams as the bugs ate into her skin. A low clang and a clatter rang out, and arms reached around Felix's waist to pull him out into a starry sky.

There was another boom as the doors clacked shut, locking themselves.

Ninette was brushing at her arms frantically, and Jeanne had stipped of her coat and shirt trying to pry her assailants from her skin, many of which had crawled within her clothing. She had the worst of it, it seemed. An entire side of her body had driplets of blood streaming down to the ground.

"What th-" Was all Felix could manage as he was pulled outwards. At first, his fear was frantic, a panic that all but shut his body down. He was a coward and the thought of being devoured by some sort of gargoyle was not how the necromancer expected to go. At least a pack of werewolves would have the dignity to let him expire on the ground, as a person rightfully should.

It took him a moment to register what was going on, yet he'd already pulled the pistol from his waist, turning to fire on whatever had accosted him. He was on the ground, aiming upwards, and nearly covered in beatles when he passed out.

as written by Dashmiel

It was the end of yet another long day for Ragenard Guiscard.

A day full of peaceful solitude, quiet contemplation, and absolutely not a single drop of free liquor to be had. Ragenard was ruminating on the finer points of just how mindbogglingly boring his life had become lately while idly performing maintenance on his arsenal when an expected but nonetheless very welcome tinny mechanical voice chimed in from one of his pockets:

"Message received from contact:Scaxy Bitch"

"Baron's moving on the Casino. Now."

He didn't need to think about it twice. With near mechanical efficiency, Ragenard stopped what he was doing and immediately armed himself. A few scant seconds later he was making his way through his familiar rooftop domains with a startling amount of pep in his step, maneuvering himself into a direct collision course with the heart of Scion territory. Through the murky fogs of dark morning he moved; a mysterious surge of rumbling passing by one second, gone the next.

He managed to maintain his smile throughout most of his carefree rooftop jaunt. He ran carefree for just under 20 minutes, envisioning the fun he was going to have with his old Scion pals. Oh how prepared he was for some good old hit and bash, just a bit of fun to whittle away his time. His smile faltered half a mile out from the Rollin' Bones Casino.

He would have liked to say it was the smell of blood in the air that did it. That the thought of Pack under danger was the catalyst. He would have been lying. The death of his smile was not fear for kin, it was the stench of them. From then on it took all the self-control he possessed to not immediately shift and give himself away immediately. Playing his role of predator, he skulked his way closer to the edge of the rooftop facing the Casino lot on the east, fighting the monster inside with every step.

as written by Emperor Jester

This area was close to where the event had happened. Had started. Very close. The tainted smell of the unclean and impure still hung heavily in the air. Here, high up along the roof tops, Isamov rested, his rifle set up on a makeshift stand of boxes and pipes and other debris from nearby allies. There was plenty of it nearby. No one would notice rubble gone missing.

Between snacks of ration bars and vitamin infused water, the immigrant on the holy crusade sat perched, only occasionally glancing through the scope. It was silent here lately, at least from his perspective, so high up, away from the sinful streets. Closer to God, to the Light, the Fire of his Lord. For now, he simply waited for prey, for some one to cleanse. He doubted anyone would stumble through his sights tonight though...

as written by Deso and Sokka

Diavon was sitting in his office staring at some paper played out on his desk, thinking in complete silence to himself as he put his finger on the paper to keep a mental track on exactly what he's looking at. He sighed to himself as he picked up a black pen and began jotting notes down. He's only been a detective a couple day's now but has already been putting in plenty of time on the job as to make a good impression on the rest of the team.

____

There would be a knock on Diavon's door before Myles entered carrying a tray with coffee donuts and three thick files. "Hope I'm not interrupting but I was wondering if I could get you assistance on a case I'm about to take on." Myles said to Diavon. "I've brought coffee and donuts as a bribe too." He said with a sly smirk across his face. He hadn't felt comfortable going to any of the more experience detectives but figured the other new rookie would be best to bring in to this case.

____

Diavon spun his chair around and looked over at Myles his eyes raised at the notion of working on a case. He slightly smiled back at this and responded to his request "Of course I'd be willing to insist with this case,The bribe is a nice addition though, I applaud you for that." Diavon thought for a moment's noticed and asked "May I have the details?"

____

Myles nodded setting the tray down, he offered poured a cup from the pot her brought and gave it to Daivon before pouring on for himself. "Among all the other shit going down, a local gunshop in Cascastel had an explosion, from the fist responder shots fired in the area last night and a few wrecked bikes as well...." He muttered. The scene's being secured as we speak so they won't need us on scene for a few hours. "There was a lot of shit going down last night. " Myles added.

____

Davion listened carefully as he poured himself a cup of coffee and sipped out it slowly taking in its scent. As Myles finished explaining what had happened he looked back up with a slight frown and began to speak "How unfortunate a happening that is, To bad there was nothing we could do,hopefully we can find out who's responsible for this act." He finished his coffee as he said this placing the cup back on the tray.

____

Myles nodded, "The company is owned by a local man, Jean Renard however we've failed to get in contact with him and there was no sign of him or any one else at the scene. That's all we have right now. Something about this just doesn't seem right though, I don't like ot jump to conclusions but I'm thinking these events have something to do with the local packs." He said taking a cup sip of his coffee. "It's like a mad house in the squad room....you're lucky you got a nice office I had to step out to get out of the phones ringing off the walls." He said with a chuckle.

____

Diavon chuckled at this and shrugged as he said "You'll get your own office eventually, I guess they needed my skills so they decided to give me a nice accommodation". He took a bite of a donut as he began to think on the possibility of it being the local wolf packs causing the trouble and agreed "Your probably right on that one, The wolf gangs are a main source of trouble for us."

____

Myles nodded taking a bite out of a doughnut. "I'm sure I'll get on eventually too." He said. "I've been looking over the calls, I figure this could be one of two things, either this heist is related to the other events or, separate and this is either a pack war or someone like the church is trying to take out the packs.....Either ways this can't be good." Myles said running a hand through his hair with a free hand.

____

Diavon finished crunching on his donut and asked Myles a question "Any bodies on the scene?,If so I could possibly raise one from the dead and question them properly so we know all the details of what happened in this predicament." He stretched in his chair felling a little bit cramped in his office, It was better then what he could hope for but it was Stoll quite a tiny room.

____

"I don't think we've found any yet." He said finishing his coffee as well.

" I'm going to go gear upthen we can head out to the scene Firedepartment's still sweeping the scene for hazards last I checked they're afraid of live rounds being triggered later so they were combing the place while the scene was being secured. We should be able to check out the exterior at least." He said as he started to leave the office heading for the squad room.

____

Diavon nodded as he watched him exit the room and spun his chair back around looking back over at his papers. He sighed after awhile and got out of his chair and walked over to the bag in the corner of the room, gathering up all he needed so he was ready to investigate the scene of the crime.

as written by Sentry and Brokowski

It was the next day when Jeanne rushed out of the hospital. She had passed the note over to Ninette, who was just barely awake, and given her directions. She had given the hospital staff the most bullshit of excuses for why she was at the Medical Examiner's office as late as they were. She'd gotten patched up. Even though they wanted to keep her another day, the detective was on her way out no matter what.

As she hurried down the stairs, she clasped the buttons to her coat. She'd lost her shirt in her panic. Anyone would if you had man-eating bugs crawling up your sleeves. She'd also lost her gun. Not a big deal on her part.

Jeanne's car was just a few miles away at the office, but every single one felt like she was walking on a bed of needles. She was pale and sweaty. Her curls clung to her forehead. A few steri strips kept part of her face from looking like a minefield.

"One hell of a way to show up at the office," the Bloodhound muttered to herself.

____

Warmth and a hospital bed. Felix couldn't tell if the comfort was a result of the morphine or some pseudo-new age meeting with what could have been his own death. Luckily the wounds were minor and the gnaws and claws were almost superficial at this point. Even still, he took advantage of the bed rest as well as he could, it beat the shitshack he was used to sleeping in.

Eventually curiosity got the best of him and he decided to visit his partners in crime. Jeanne was first but, alas, she was already gone. "Hardly a surprise." The necromancer mused, it was beginning to seem as if the detective were a masochist at this point. She probably got off on the pain once the idea of mortal danger had passed.

Next came Ninette, it was only fair that he paid a visit to the woman who essentially saved his life. For whatever reason, the hospital had given him free reign, likely because he hadn't broken any laws as far as they were concerned. Just a part of a trio that had been cursed by bugs or some such, Felix figured. There was a slight apprehension as he approached the woman's room, the last thing he recalled was pointing a pistol in her face, what if he'd fired as he blacked out?

Luckily it didn't seem to be the case or he missed terribly as he was apt to do. "So.....any word?" Felix managed through the painkillers he was still thoroughly enjoying. "It seems our fair detective has abandoned us."

as written by Sentry and Tiko

Jeanne was awfully late to the precinct, but she had the best excuse. She showed up looking quite a bit more put together than when she was at the hospital, save for the steri strips she had no chance of removing at the time. Her jacket hung over one shoulder, a look one wouldn't expect on the Bloodhound.

She loped over to the front desk, nodding. "I can give you a doctor's note later, mm?"

____

The receptionist, a young floozy by the name of Christelle, looked up and raised an eye at Jeanne's appearance.

"The Chief was tearing the place up looking for you earlier," she said. "She's on the phone now, but said to give you this if you decided to turn up."

She retrieved a folder and handed it across to Jeanne. The movement carried with it the faint whiff of a lavender perfume.

"She said everything you need to know is in there, and to..." she picked up a sticky note where she had quoted the Chief word for word and read it out. 'Get your ass over to the factory on Buffon street to catch up with your new partner, before I rethink not having your ass suspended.'"

____

Jeanne looked up wearily at Christelle. She lifted a hand to grab the folder, then shoved it under her arm. She chuckled through her nose.

"Tell her I love her too," she replied, tipping her hat. "That ol' gal always knew how to put my panties in a twist."

She moved toward the door, grabbing her coat to keep it on her shoulder. "A new partner."

Another expendable is what the chief meant.

as written by Tiko and Knosis

A taxi pulled up outside of Desmond and Brendan's house, and he and Chloe both stepped out of it onto the side of the street. He threw a glance in either direction before heading for the front door and letting the both of them in.

The street looked clear enough, and there were no signs of fires here from the night prior. It would seem their place had evaded the vandalism that had swept through Lupaix.

The phone was ringing when they stepped inside, and Desmond picked it up.

"'aye?" he asked into it. "'e's not 'ere righ' now, can I take a message?"

He winced at whatever was being said on the other end of the line and covered the receiver briefly to talk to Chloe.

"'tis me brother's boss," he explained before uncovering the receiver and talking into the phone. "Aye, I'll let 'im know," he said before hanging up. "We'll be 'ere a while, so make yourself at 'ome," he told Chloe. "I'm going to grab a shower and get somethin' better to wear."

He was still clad in the baggy shirt and pants that he had scrounged from Reinhard's, and though his injuries had healed, he hadn't had an opportunity to really clean himself up from the previous nights conflict.

____

The woman entered the house hesitantly, as though at any moment something would just burst into flames at her touch. "You do realize, I told Brendan I wouldn't be back here, right..?" She said quietly, as if afraid Brendan would magically appear here in a cloud of mist and spark powder to chew her head off for stepping foot into the house if he heard her.

She settled for a kitchen chair, scooted away from the table itself slightly, so that she could fold her legs under her, Indian-styled. "If you don't mind, I would like a bath afterward.." She added.

____

"That's fine. And it's me place as much as it is 'is," Desmond told her. "Besides, I think 'e's warmin' up to you," he added with an amused grin. "I won't be long."

When Desmond returned fifteen minutes later he was towel drying his hair before draping the wet towel over the back of one of the kitchen chairs.

"The pack 'ill be pretty busy today," Desmond said. "So I don't expect anyone 'ill come lookin' for us anytime soon. If they're keepin' quiet about Baron, that means 'e's not doin' well an' they want to keep people guessin'. If there's a rat in the pack, they won't want someone makin' a move on Baron while he's down. Or Rowan making a move on the pack if Baron doesn't make it."

____

Chloe nodded slowly. She had had some time to think it over while Desmond was in the shower. "I would recon that they believe there is a rat in the pack.." She murmured. "I remember before Baron left, he mentioned that Rowan's gang was heading to Cascastel when they made a play for the Casino.. So for them to turn around, back to the Casino quick enough to catch Baron and the others before they could get in and get out screams someone let Rowan know that they were on the way to the Casino.. And the only people who knew, was the pack itself." She looked over to Desmond. "And me." She added, almost as an afterthought.

She slowly stood up. "So they'll be looking for the rat.. While keeping their heads down." She sighed and rubbed her eyes. "So, what's the plan then?" She asked quietly.

____

"For now the plan is to keep the pack safe," Desmond said. "If Baron's out, Ragenard 'ill be takin' point, an' 'e'll be out for blood. We don't 'ave the numbers to survive it. Ragenard won't accept that we need 'elp though, and that's why I called up me packmates.

"What everyone 'as forgotten is that Ragenard isn't pack anymore. By pack law, he 'as no claim to authority. There's going to be a challenge soon, an' I can't beat him. We need to get me pack mates 'ere before that 'appens. Then it won't matter. The decision 'ill 'ave been made before he steps up. But first we need to cover for Baron, an' make it look like 'e's left town for a while."

as written by Ronin, Knosis and Tiko

A shoddy cab shuttered to the curb outside Desmond and Brendan's house. A young, thin man in a plain black coat stepped out of the back, walking up to the passenger window and offering a small wad of bills to a driver who took off as soon as payment was received. The man watched him go, brows knit over a pair of pale blue eyes before wiping his hand on his jacket and turning towards the door. He bounded the steps and knocked three times.

____

Chloe looked as though she were about to add something, when the knocks at the door came. She raised a brow and looked over at Desmond.

____

"Told you I was expectin' company," Desmond told her with a wink.

Though it wasn't the company he was expecting when he opened the door to find himself face to face with Archard. Confusion crossed Desmond's face as he had been expecting a drop in from the police.

"Can I 'elp you?" Desmond inquired.

Had Archard shown up in more official church garb, Desmond might have met him more amiably. But as it stood, Archard could just as easily have been one of Rowan's people. It left Desmond guarded and watchful.

____

Archard looked up at the man, taking quick stock of the man's features. Unlike the rest of th Lutetian Bloodstones, Archard had little to no information on Desmond. The Iverian native had an impeccably clean record - probably because he'd spent so little time in the city. As it was, Archard had no way to identify the man, save for the brogue that he assumed Desmond spoke with.

"Good day," he nodded politely, "I an inquisitor-archon Archard Pierpont. I am looking for a 'Desmond O'Callaghan'. Is he in?"

____

Chloe's hackles rose nearly instantly at the name of the inquisitor. The church had been one of those factions that made her life in the Society nearly a living hell. Due to her nature, they nearly condemned her on the spot with the records the Society held on her. The Society purposely tried to keep the animosity between the Church and themselves to a minimal, but most of the older members and over zealous members of the church had an issue with the Society using non-humans to hunt down non-humans. With her record with instability, it was a challenge for the Society to allow her to continue her occupation there.

Her jaw set as she moved in behind Desmond, keeping her face semi hidden behind Desmond's shoulder. Even if she had never had dealings with this inquisitor directly before, she was sure they kept tabs on all the 'highly dangerous' individuals in Lutetia. She gently pressed her hands against Desmond's back, twisting her fingers slightly into his shirt.

____

Desmond arched an eyebrow at Archard's introduction. The Church? Their involvement was an unexpected variable, but it didn't change the immediate plan. Still it was something to notify Ragenard about later. If the Church was getting involved, the game was about to change.

"Aye, I'm Desmond," he answered.

None of Chloe's tension and unease was present in Desmond. He was cautious to be sure, but at ease. He could only hope Chloe would pick up on his own calm when he felt her behind him. He didn't need to turn to pick up on her tension. He could feel it in her hands.

____

"Delighted to meet you," Archard replied, his tone cool and reserved and slightly bored. "I hope this isn't an inopportune time. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions." He waived a hand dismissively. "You're not in any sort of trouble, I just need some information. I should be out of your hair in ten minutes. Fifteen at the most." His eyes flickered to the half-hidden face behind Desmond's shoulder. The hint of a smile tugged at his lips, which were a healthy red. It was the only warm color he possessed - all the rest was white and black and shades of hypothermic blue. "Good day."

He looked back to Desmond, unblinking, hardly moving. "May I come in?"

____

Chloe's grip tightened slightly on Desmond's shirt for a moment before letting go. "Good day." She replied politely, albeit a bit brief. Her green hues never left the man's face. She did not trust the Church. The ancient faction had been around way too long and had learned to twist their words to benefit them the most. Even as a human, they had been a thorn in her side.

Chloe moved away from Desmond as to give him way to let the man in if he so desired.

____

"That's fine, though I don't suppose you 'ave some identification on you?" Desmond asked. "Can't be too safe around this part of the city," he explained.

Garbed as he was, Archard had nothing but his words to suggest that he was who he said he was. There was no animosity or hostility in Desmond though, but he seemed intent on making sure Archard was indeed an inquisitor with the church before letting him into his house.

____

"A careful man," Archard nodded, "I completely understand." He reached into his jacket and removed a leather flip-over. The flap turned and Desmond would be looking at a badge imprinted with Archard's name and rank, set to the backdrop of a many-branched oak tree - the insignia of the inquisition. Archard removed his drivers license and set it next to the badge for good measure.

"This identifies me as an inquisitor archon. It means that I am a member of both the inquisition and the justice system." If he read the license, Desmond would learn that Archard was 5'8", 135 pounds and roughly twenty-one years old. "Like police officers and Paladins, I am endowed with the authority to detain suspects and make arrests - whilst also maintaining access to the inquisition's archives and recourses."

"...and, should you desire further proof..." Archard reached below his shirt and removed a silver necklace from his chest, revealing a wingspread raven pendant. The metal shone with a faintly ethereal shimmer in the light. Sacred steel. Desmond would doubtless be familiar with the amulet awarded to ranking members of the Evequec church. Only those attuned to the metal's energy field could stand to wear it. In the hands of anyone else, it would start to burn - lightly at first, though it would become unbearable in a few short minutes.

"You may touch it," Archard offered. Badges and IDs could be forged. This could not.

____

"Nah, come on in," Desmond said.

He stepped to the side enough to wave Archard in, and it was curious to note perhaps that he moved in such a manner as to almost shield Chloe with his body. Or at least that is what it might seem at a casual glance.

For Chloe she might realize differently. Desmond hadn't shown a penchant for being over-protective of her, but perhaps it wasn't she whom he was protecting.

He knew she was on edge, and the last thing they needed right now was her shifting and tangling with an inquisitor. She seemed well enough in control of herself to not be an immediate concern though, or he wouldn't have allowed Archard in the house at all. Still, a bit of caution never hurt.

____

The red haired woman moved further away, keeping Desmond between herself and the man, giving both Desmond and the inquisitor room to breath. She leaned against a door frame and watched the two men, trying to seem casual about the current situation-- And failing horribly.

Her teeth gritted as she felt that horrible tingling pain feeling start up her left arm and it went useless. Cradling it in her right arm, it looked as though she had simply folded her arms across her chest. Just what she needed right now.

____

Archard entered the apartment and looked around. He did not take off his coat. As Chloe gave the two of them some room, the inquisitor got a clear look at her for the first time. He said nothing to her.

"Wherever is most comfortable for you, Mr. O'Callaghan," the inquisitor shifted back to Desmond. "The kitchen, perhaps?"

____

"Aye, that would be fine," Desmond said as he gestured to the nearby table. "I would offer you somethin', but we're runnin' a bit empty," he said. "A glass of water is about all I could spare you. So what is this all about anyways? Don't usually get you church fellows out this day. An' I don't mean to rush you, but we need to be 'eadin' out soon."

As Archard made for the table, Desmond approached Chloe where he paused and reached a hand up to brush his thumb against her cheek as he studied her pained expression. There was concern in his eyes at how she was reacting to the church official.

"Do you wanna wait downstairs?" he asked her.

The inquiry was genuine, but he wouldn't push the matter if she would rather remain up here. So long as she wasn't showing signs of losing control of herself.

____

The red haired woman's attention shifted from the Inquisitor to Desmond almost in an instant, and her expression soften a very tiny amount. A smile hinted on the corners of her lips but she declined with a simple shake of her head. It was one thing to have a church official here in the house. It was another to leave Desmond alone with them without knowing the intent of why the man was here.

"I'll be fine." She promised, her voice sounding a bit strained. She impressed herself that her voice hadn't cracked. The pained tingling had spread to her shoulder by now.

____

Desmond seemed only partially convinced but he nodded. He was beginning to rethink his plans though. If she was having this much trouble in the mere presence of a church official, in a calm situation... he didn't fancy her chances of holding herself together when he and Ragenard came to blows.

Some adjustments may be required, to find her someplace else to stay for the next few days, away from the pack. It wasn't a decision he looked forward to needing to make though, and so he put it from his mind for now and instead turned his attention back to Archard. He let his hand drop from Chloe's face as he followed the church official to the table.

Hopefully Archard would keep this quick.

____

When Desmond came into the kitchen, Archard would already be sitting opposite him at the table. A file folder lay open on the wood and the Inquisitor was perusing the papers with mild disinterest. For all Desmond knew, he'd pulled it out of his ass. His coat wasn't that big.

He looked up at the Iverian as he entered and the smile on his lips was thin and shallow. "A glass of water would be appreciated, if it's not too much trouble." He turned over one of the papers. "You're a long way from home, Desmond. Is this your first time visiting the city of Lutetia?"

____

"If you count that I 'aven't really left since I got 'ere, then aye, first time," Desmond said with a chuckle as he filled a glass of water from the tap and set it on the table before seating himself as well. "Been livin' 'ere near a year now."

____

"Thank you," Archard took the glass and sipped. He set it down on the table between himself and Desmond. "A year? Goodness, that's a while. I've heard that Iveria is a gorgeous place. Always wanted to visit myself." He looked curiously at Desmond. "What's keeping you here? Surely you must miss your home."

____

"I don't wanna be rude, but like I said. We need to get goin' soon," Desmond explained. "If we can cut the wee blather, an' get to what brings you 'ere, that would be great."

___

At this, Archard raised a brow. Desmond didn't give off the same cold vibe that Baron had. The inquisitor had pegged this man as someone who -liked- to talk. What was holding him back?

His eyes flashed briefly to the hallway they'd come through. They scanned for Chloe.

He looked back. "My apologies. No time for small talk." He stacked his papers. "You reported a truck missing earlier this morning - license plate SVE-1395. Registered to James Guiscard - Baron." He looked up. "Were you the one who noticed it was missing?"

____

"Aye, that was me," Desmond answered.

____

"Where were you when you noticed it was gone?" Archard followed up, "and were there any signs around the area to suggest it'd been broken into?" He waived a hand in a circular motion. "A heap of broken glass, perhaps?"

____

Chloe shifted awkwardly where she stood as the inquisitor's eyes landed on her. The pain spread further up her shoulder and she could feel it tightening in her chest and neck. Her breathing began to become harder and she moved to the living room, leaving the pair but still listening in as well as she could.

____

"I was 'ere, and no," Desmond answered.

He cast a glance towards the doorway where Chloe had left, but he didn't get up.

____

"It was just gone, then? Curious," Archard removed a pen from his jacket and scribbled something down on a paper in front of him. "Does Baron frequently let you borrow his car?"

____

"Naw, not usually," Desmond answered. "But me car got blown up last week, and Baron's out of town for a while. So he lent me 'is truck while 'e's gone."

____

"That's very generous of him," Archard replied, "when was the last time you drove in it?"

____

"'aven't," Desmond answered. "He dropped it off yesterday, an' it was gone this mornin'."

____

"Around what time did he drop it off?" Archard asked.

____

"Late mornin', early afternoon?" Desmond offered. It was more of a question than a solid answer. "Can't say I really went an' checked a clock when 'e got 'ere," he explained.

____

"How do you think the car was stolen?" Archard asked, "was there an open window - a door that wouldn't lock, perhaps?"

____

"Can't say I know for sure," Desmond answered. "'e didn't say anythin' to me about anythin' like that, but like I said. I 'adn't used it since 'e dropped it off, an' inspectin' it over wasn't on me mind at the time. Can't say I recall if 'e left any windows open or not. I let 'im into the garage, an' then 'e 'eaded out after. That's all I really seen of it. I do know the garage don't lock, 'asn't since me brother and me moved in 'ere. I'm just 'opin' it turns up before 'e gets back an' finds out it's gone."

____

Archard nodded as Desmond spoke, scribbling little bits of text into the sheets before looking up at the Iverian.

"Where are the keys?"

____

Chloe allowed herself to sink into the chair she had used the night Brendan had kicked her out. She grit her teeth in order to keep herself from crying out as the pained sensation spread. She was losing functionality in a limb for a short time was not new when she was overly stressed. But this was spreading, and lasting longer. Her breathing came in short bursts. She found that even if she wanted to cry out now, she was not able to. Her voice was gone as the numbness spread to her neck.

Panic quickly overcame her as she found moving to be difficult at all now. Her body just seemed to be losing strength.

'Calm down, Chloe.' She thought. She closed her eyes and focused on breathing. In. Out. In. Out.

____

"They're in me coat pocket," Desmond answered as he got up.

He made his way for the living room, knowing full well that the keys were back at the Medical Center, and not in his coat pocket. Still, he had enough witnesses placing him at the bar last night to make it work.

"'ey Chloe? Did I-"

He broke off as he caught sight of her.

"Chloe?" he asked.

He took a step towards her, but as he caught notice of her rapid breathing and the pain on her face he stopped mid step.

"Aw 'ell," he said.

He grabbed up the house phone from the nearby table, dialing a number.

"'ey, I need an ambulance at 425, Bezout street," he said into the phone.

He set the phone down on the table rather than stay on the line to answer questions as he made his way to Chloe.

____

Archard heard the commotion in the living room and quickly gathered his papers back into his file. He tucked the folder into his jacket and came out into the living room. "Goodness," he appeared startled - if such an expression existed in his emotional repertoire.

He looked up to Desmond. "I have a car outside. I can offer you a ride to the hospital, if you like."

He drew closer to Chloe, pale blue eyes making a careful inspection of the girl. "Has this happened to you before, madame?" He realized the question was futile as soon as he asked it. Chloe couldn't respond even if she wanted to - the woman appeared locked in the throes of a desperate pain.

"Desmond, is this a common occurrence?"

____

It was a struggle to open her eyes again. She felt tired, and it showed in her eyes. But she was beginning to regain motion in her finger tips on her left hand. She still couldn't find her voice to reassure Desmond she'd be fine. But her eyes locked on the inquisitor again instead. I mixture of emotions spread across her face, but she tried to scoot away from the man, or as far into the chair as she could.

She wanted nothing to do with him now.

____

"An ambulance is already on the way," Desmond answered. "Just... go. You bein' in 'ere is only going to make things worse. Leave your number in the kitchen, an' we can finish this later."

____

Archard looked as if he were about to protest, but closed his mouth as Desmond finished speaking. The co-owner of the home in which he was a guest had told him to the leave. He had to go.

He made a show of buttoning-up his coat to spare him one last glance at Chloe, taking a final stock of the girl and committing her image to memory.

"I'll wait outside until the ambulance arrives," he said plainly, walking around the couch and handing a silver card to Desmond as he passed, "I look forward to seeing the both of you soon." He opened the front door, turned and smiled at Chloe. "Feel better, madame."

He would leave the room, walking briskly down the steps before pulling out a phone and calling his chauffeur to park at a curb a couple houses down from Desmond's home.

____

Chloe calmed down slightly as soon as Archard left the house, her head slumping against the chair in exhaustion. Sleep. That's all Chloe wanted to do at this point. Her eyes slowly drooped and her breathing slowed. Her skin around her neck and left arm was cool to the touch.

____

Demond remained with her until the ambulance got there, and when the paramedics arrived and loaded her into the ambulance, he joined her in the back of the emergency vehicle to be taken to the hospital. Having her taken to a human hospital had its risks, but he couldn't very well carry her all the way to Reinhard's.

____

Archard would be standing outside the front of his car, leaning against the hood. In his hands was a cup and saucer steaming with a fresh-poured tea. He sipped and watched them go.

as written by Dashmiel and Tiko

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Vargeras...

The sun was lazily floating a few inches from the horizon, casting the mostly hidden world of the 'up' of Lutetia's mass of rooftops into a bizarre tableau of sun beams and shadows that were briefly disturbed as Ragenard maneuvered his way through the deepening gloom towards his dingy motel residence.

The sight of the aftermath of the Casino battle and how it had been swarmed over by police procedure should probably have dispirited any other man in Ragenard's position, but the sheer sense of harmony he felt at being fully armed once again, and the temporary respite from the ample minor annoyances of his day helped keep him good humored enough, even if he knew that it might not be long until matters turned more complicated.

Ragenard briefly spared another wondering thought as to where in the fucking city Julienne had run off to, as he quietly slipped from the roof of the building adjacent from the motel where he hung his boots, and promptly smashed his face lightly with a window that he expected to be open.

"The fuck!?" Ragenard groaned to himself as he grasped the window and shook it in it's frame until the raggedy clasp locking it from the inside snapped open, allowing him to get into his motel room. He spent a few seconds not being surprised, but rather asking himself why he expected to be, as he beheld Julienne's form on his bed.

"'Ey, sleeping bitch?" Ragenard spoke up, clearing his throat loudly as he did so.

Julienne stirred and looked over her shoulder at Ragenard before turning away again. She looked disheveled, but unharmed. From the rumpled state of her clothes, and the bed, she had been there for a while.

"Fuck off," she told him.

Ragenard merely retorted with a snort before moving across the room to his small closet, and began rifling through it for something more proper to wear around.

"An entire city to hole up in, and you pick this dump?" Ragenard called out as he quickly donned a muscle shirt and crossed the threshold to the bathroom briefly before returning with a carton of cigarettes.

"C'mon, get the fuck up" he stated gently as he began to pack and unwrap a new pack.

Julienne closed her eyes, and was tempted to just ignore him until he went away, but she expected that wouldn't get her far. She finally rolled over and half sat up, so she could get a better look at what he was doing.

"What are you even doing here anyways?" she asked.

"Gearing up" Ragenard replied as he shook a cigarette loose and lit it. "Need to pack some of my clothes, and you're sleeping on top of a gun cache that can arm some of the pack up." he finished as he tossed her the pack of smokes along with his lighter.

Julienne frowned as he tossed her the cigarettes before picking them up and sliding herself to the edge of the bed with a grimace. The gunshot wound in her shoulder had been stitched up, but was a long ways from healing yet, and from the look of it she hadn't bothered to change the bandages on it since she left the med center. She seated herself next to the bed and leaned against the wall as she lit up a cigarette and took a long drag of it. She rested her head back against the wall before exhaling slowly and watching the tendrils of smoke waft up into the air overhead.

"He still alive?" she asked.

"He's alive." Ragenard replied as he got a duffle bag from the laundry strewn floor and shook it empty.

Julienne closed her eyes as she absorbed his response.

"How bad?" she asked.

"Pretty bad, but Reinhard thinks he might pull through if he hangs in there through the worst of it. He's a tough bastard, so I have no doubt he'll pull through. But there's no telling how long he'll be out of commission" he replied as he went about the place, stuffing personal effects into the bag.

"And if he doesn't make it?" Julienne asked as she re-opened her eyes. "I can't go back there and watch him die too."

"If he doesn't make it, he's dead. I'll take over, or maybe you will. That's how it goes. You don't leave the life, it leaves you. You've gotten used to the fun and peaceful times, but the harsh truth is any one of us might wake up dead one day. But for what it's worth, I know my brother. He's not done fucking the world up to make it fit his way." Ragenard replied, the callousness in his tone accompanied by the long wear of resignation borne from years of thought in the matter.

She took another long drag of her cigarette as she looked to Ragenard, watching him pack.

Ragenard finished stuffing his bag by stuffing the rest of the carton of cigarettes in it, and turned to Julienne.

"I intend to make sure this pack pulls through long enough for him to get back to it, if he will. Are you going to come back and help me do that? Or is it going to be moping around?" he asked.

Julienne's answer didn't come in words, but rather in the shift of her eyes as she looked away from him.

"Moping about, then. Sometimes I forget, precocious though you might be, you were a pup not too long ago." Ragenard mused, muttering the ending of his thoughts.

"There's a gun taped to the underside of the nightstand. Box of bullets inside that little shitty drawer attached to the stove, underneath the pans there" Ragenard said as he bent down by the bed and grabbed the bottom edge of the frame. In a smooth motion, he pulled it up and the lower half of the bed rose up a few feet off the floor, bending the mattress slightly.

Exposed beneath was a makeshift hole with the jagged ends absently sanded away, and the dust covered haze of the motel room directly beneath Ragenard's.

"I dunno what the fuck you'll scrounge up to eat, but I figure you'll manage. Stay away from the police, call me if you fuck things up." he said as he sat down and scooted himself by the edge of the two-bit secret exit.

Julienne scarcely raised a brow at the hole that Ragenard had revealed. Somehow she just wasn't surprised that he would have a personal cache, even in this shithole. She took another long drag of her cigarette, but seemed disinclined to commenting.

"Push the bed back down when I'm gone, it'll lock back into place." Ragenard said as he casually dropped the duffelbag full of clothes down the hole, where it was immediately lost in the dust. There was no sound of it hitting floor beneath.

"It's a good forty feet drop the first time. Maze after that. Stay the fuck out of there, is what I'm saying. Tell no one you saw this, especially not Baron, for fucks sake. That's my playground, not the pack's" he cautioned gruffly before softening his tone a bit.

"Get yourself straightened out, I could use your help around the pack in the coming days" Ragenard finished, before giving Julienne a half-hearted wave and vanishing into the murky depths of his world

as written by Tiko and Lobos

Elsewhere...

The sun had since come up and Riaze and Chase had cleared out with the arrival of police crawling the streets of Lupaix. They hadn't gone far, and had chosen to hole up in a local hotel until they determined their next move.

Chase was at one of the windows of the small room and he pushed it aside to get a look outside where several police cars drove past, making their way deeper into Lupaix.

"Things seem to have quieted down out there..." Chase noted. "You know... you never did say what all of this was about. I mean, I know what we're doing here, but haven't quite figured out the why of it. Not that I'm complaining, it just doesn't quite seem to add up."

Grunting, Riaze cracked an eye at his nephew from where he reclined on one of the two beds. “Oh yeah. Well…”

Sighing, he turned his view to the ceiling, absently tracing the cracks in the plaster. “Call it paying off a debt. As much as it rankles, I owe the leech we came over on the boat with. She wants her fancy spot among the city leeches, and I needed to get out of Westeria City.”

"Ah well, so uh... that girl that was with them," Chase remarked, changing the subject. "Varia. She's hot, right? For a vampire that is."

His words might have been mistaken as fully serious, but the half quirked grin on his face as he turned around and flopped himself down in the spare bed spoke otherwise.

Just as well, as Riaze snapped a narrowed eye back on Chase. “That is just wrong, Chase.”

Appreciative of the moment of levity though, the older lycan continued his explanation. “To that effect, our job is to bring together at least enough of the packs that she can use the “threat” to get her way back into power. And that’s as far as my actions to repay that debt go.”

"I guess that means we're going to need to make contact with one of the packs," Chase mused as he folded his arms behind his head. "They don't seem too friendly with outsiders around here though. Helping those two out last night might help but I doubt we'll be able to set foot near that place they're holed up, without things going south. Might be better off finding some that aren't currently trying to kill each other."

“Hmmm…” Riaze mused, thinking on the issue. “Might be a good idea to try and make contact at a more open area, and arrange for a more formal meeting during the daytime.”

“We really should also learn the area, in case we have to move quickly through it. Picking up some city maps and looking them over is good, but more than that, we need to be out there so we can see things maps can’t show.”

"Well, today's probably our best bet on that," Chase answered. "I doubt there will be any more fighting today with the number of police rolling through the streets right now."

Nodding, Riaze glanced over the to room’s clock. “Probably catch some rest first, then go exploring this section of town. I’d like to say they’ll be the most likely pack to accept outsider contact, with what we did.”

“What about the one we saw leave last night,” Chase suggested. “Could probably track her.”

“That’d be a good place to start. She didn’t seem to really be trying to cover her trail, so it should be relatively easy.” The lycan snorted.

"Well wake me up when you want to head out," Chase said with a yawn.

as written by Lobos and Tiko

Lightly punching at his nephew, Riaze spoke softly.

“Let’s go.”

Chase cracked an eye open. "Something wrong?" he asked.

Chuckling, Riaze shook his head. “No, but it is time to go exploring and to try and track down that female.”

"Ah alright," Chase said with a yawn.

Tracking Julienne proved a simple enough feat, though she had gotten around the city the night prior, and by the time the trail reached its conclusion it was getting on into the evening.

The trek had afforded them more of a first-hand look into the Bloodstone territory though, and Julienne's wanderings had taken them through the heart of Lupaix. They had passed two crime-scenes, but other than the buzz of police activity in the area, things had quieted from the night prior. Both packs it would seem had gone to ground to tend their wounded and to plan for the days to come.

It was to a dingy hotel that Riaze and Chase finally found their way to, and from the peeled paint on the outside, and the cracked and dingy windows, it was probably the cheapest money could buy. The wooden wood window frames and front steps were rotted near through, and an unpleasant odor was wafting through from the dumpsters out back that hadn't been emptied in days.

To put it lightly, the place was a dump.

Eying the ramshackle place, Riaze felt his eyes watering from the stench. “They couldn’t have picked a nicer place, could they?”

"I dunno... it has a kind of rustic charm I suppose," Chase remarked in jest. "Think she'll be alone?" he asked. "I can't smell much over the trash."

“No telling.” The restriction on scent was irritating, if not entirely new to Riaze. Problems that existed in a city far more commonly than in the wild, it was something he was familiar with. “Best keep our ears open.”

Riaze moved towards the doors, leading his nephew. Nonchalant in posture, though he resolved to find a new eyepatch as he scratched at the scar.

The interior of the building didn't appear in any better state than the exterior. The walls were dingy and cracked, and the reception desk stood empty with no one seemingly keeping watch over the place, or bothering to check anyone in at the moment.

Julienne it would seem was staying on one of the upper floors, and the smell of wolf grew stronger as they found their way to the door to the small hotel room. It was difficult to pick her out with all the other odors mingled into the decrepit building, but it was there - as was the scent of another. It was impossible to determine by scent alone if the other was still present, but no sounds came from the room.

The door itself had clearly seem some abuse and both the latch and one of the hinges was broken in. Rather than fixing either, the door had simply been wedged back into its place in the doorframe.

"So uh... probably should have asked this earlier, but what's the plan exactly?" Chase asked quietly.

A blank look he tossed over at the younger man, before looking back at the door. “What plan?”

Riaze reached out to rap on the door with his knuckles twice.

The sound of his knuckles striking wood was punctuated by the abrupt and deafening sound of gunfire within the building as two bullets punched through the flimsy door - aimed to strike Riaze mid torso.

The impacts rocked him back, drawing a snarl as he bounced off the far wall. Looking down to his chest, Riaze fingered at the bullet wounds, before glancing behind him at the wall. From the splats, the exit wounds were significantly larger, but he could already feel tissues mending.

"Fucking hell," Chase spat.

While Riaze was recovering from the gunshots, Chase moved to kick in the door before stepping past to take cover behind the opposite side of the door, trusting Riaze to move out of line of sight before the shooter got a bead on him.

Hacking blood as the shock passed and he drew a short breath, he glared at Chase as he stepped to the side away from the door, weaving.

The brief glimpse into the room as two more gunshots fired past into the wall afforded Chase an idea of where the shooter was.

“Only saw one,” Chase said. “The woman from last night. Behind the bed.”

Gurgling a growl, Riaze snarled at the woman. “You hit me already, dammit. We want to talk!”

"Like you fuckers wanted to talk last night?" Julienne spat venomously, her Terran thickly accented.

“I could have just blasted the damn door down, and besides, neither of us were attacking anyone last night.” The clarity of his voice was improving slightly, as lung damage knitted.

"And I'm just supposed to take your word for that?" she hollered back.

The location of her voice had shifted and Chase threw Riaze a look.

"She's probably going for the window," he said.

He couldn't be certain, but it's what he would do if he was cornered in a hotel room.

Shit. “I’m going to step out with my hands up.” Shifting to broken Lutetian, Riaze ground out a little more. “Don’t shoot, please.”

Twisting around the corner, he stood with his hands in plain sight, elevated before him. The entrance wounds were already only a quarter of the size they had been, the regenerated flesh pink, angry still.

Riaze found himself face to face with a near feral woman, and the muzzle of a gun pointed at him. Her eyes were a swirl of amber, as she stared him down.

Back