Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Vargeras

as written by Tiko and Lobos

"Your friend too," she growled in Lutetian as she nodded towards the door where Chase was still taking cover behind the wall.

The wolf crept into her voice, and it was plain to see that the woman's self-control was a tenuous thing at best.

"What's she saying?" Chase asked.

“Come out here, Chase, hands up.” Riaze called in Terran, without taking his eyes away from her. Holding his own nature in check was less than simple, given the recent wounding, but he retained rationality. He tried his Lutetian again, unsure of the tongue over a few words. “We two, take? Two of you, out of fire? Got them safe. Friends? Not foes?”

Chase raised an eyebrow. “You serious?”

“Yes, I’m serious.” A twinge of annoyance.

"You're the boss..." Chase answered as he reluctantly stepped out to join Riaze in the room, his hands raised awkwardly.

Julienne gestured with the gun for both of them to move away from the door, and towards the bed.

“Who the fuck are you?” she growled in Lutetian

“New to town. I’m Riaze, he’s Chase.” Little enough strain on his linguistics skill that it was mostly natural, save for his accent. He spoke as they moved towards the bed. “We just want talk.”

Julienne circled around the pair as they moved away from the door and she broke her gaze from them just long enough to glance into the hall to make sure they were alone. The door was a lost cause at this point, and beyond use as it lay on its side, only barely still attached to the wall by one bent hinge.

"And why the fuck would you want that?" she answered.

“To offer help.” Riaze shifted to Terran, his grasp of the native tongue not adequate enough to vocalize. “We watched what happened last night, rescued two of yours doing it. I’d rather have friends in this town than just enemies.”

Julienne snorted. "Bit convenient, no?" she inquired. She gestured with the gun for them to go ahead and sit while she grabbed up the hotel phone from the nearby table with her free hand. She awkwardly dialed in a number while keeping an eye, and her gun, on the pair.

"Ragenard?” she said into the phone. “Yeah, need you the fuck back here."

“Guess we wait, then.” Riaze drawled.

as written by Dashmiel

Elsewhere...

Ragenard was in the middle of trying to squeeze his large bulk plus a handful of heavy laden sacks, one duffel bag, a soft-leather cased rifle slung over one shoulder, and the usual contents of his baldric through a manhole covering in the Phantom Quarter when the ringing of his phone and it’s robotic voice cut through his stream of vehement cursing of the state of Lutetian infrastructure:

“Incoming call from: Scaxy Bitch” trilled the robot voice.

“What the fucking fuck did she do already, for fuck’s fucking sa--Hello? What the fuc--” Ragenard’s budding rant died as he processed Julienne’s tone. She didn’t say much, but she didn’t have to. He knew her well enough to know what that cold tone of hers meant.

“I’ll be there in about ten minutes” he said as he disconnected the call.

Deciding that time was of the essence, and that it was the Phantom Quarter and thus no one gave a fuck, Ragenard proceeded to burst his way from the depths of the city like a demented zombie on a shopping spree, leaving even more cracked pavement and a pot hole only slightly deeper than the others already in the Quarter in his wake.

After pausing long enough to temporarily stash everything but his baldric, Ragenard proceeded to madly dash, roll, jump, climb, and drop his way through the crumbling environs of the Phantom Quarter, and then into the less crumbly abodes of Vargeras.

The whole time he found himself easily crushing his previous speed records, and it was around the time that he was within a quarter of a mile from his motel that he realized he wasn’t so much as getting winded in the process. Curiosity threatened to turn into puzzlement however, and he dismissed his train of thought with a frown and quickly covered the rest of the distance.

as written by Tiko, Dashmiel, and Lobos

By the time Ragenard returned, not much had changed. Riaze and Chase were still seated on the edge of the bed, and Julienne was still standing near the door with her gun on the pair. Riaze’s shirt was damp with blood and two bullet holes, but no visible wounds still remained.

The door had been kicked in and it lay to one side, still attached to the wall only by a single bent hinge that was half torn from the plaster.

Ragenard dropped down from a nearby roof onto the motel’s sagging stairway, causing the thing to vibrate half of the building gently. By this point, his nose could ignore all of the “noise” it was accustomed to, and picked up on the fact that Julienne was not alone, as he suspected.

Without any pretense of a stealthy entrance, Ragenard ran his hands over his left shoulder and triggered the runes that kept his arsenal hidden. With a shimmer of the air around him, the glamour over his baldric banished, and the heavily armed Ragenard walked off from the night air and directly into the kind of shit he was enjoying escaping from previously.

“I’m here Juls. Mind telling me why I now need a new place to stay?” Ragenard asked as he arched a confused eyebrow at the scene he was greeted with.

“These two fucks showed up, shortly after you left,” she answered. “You can thank that one for the door,” she growled as she indicated at Chase with the gun.

“The holes in it are her fault. Never imagined knocking was that dangerous in this town.” Riaze growled softly. Sighing he shifted to his half-assed Lutetian, the Terran accent on his voice easily noticeable. “We two. Save packmates, yours. Try talk. She shoot.”

He didn’t particularly feel the need to point out the two rather large holes in his shirt, a condition he reflected on with no small amount of irritation. His supply of clothing was bad enough to begin with, and now of usable shirts, that number had been reduced to half.

For a brief moment, Ragenard found himself unable to hold back a thunderous roar of laughter at the absurdity of the situation. He wasn’t aware of consciously doing so at first, but for a good ten seconds all that escaped him were short, loud, jagged rasps of a laugh box not used to working often.

“Try talk. She shoot. Oh man, you have no idea how unsurprising and hilarious that is” he managed at last, addressing Riaze in fluent Terran sprinkled with the flair of the Lutetian accent.

After taking a second to compose himself, Ragenard continued. “I’ll have to ask you gents for some measure of...what’s the word here, lead? Lead w—Ah, leeway yes. Some leeway in your understanding of the treatment you’ve received here today.”

as written by Tiko, Dashmiel, and Lobos

"I don't suppose you can ask psycho bitch there, to lower the gun?" Chase asked with an arch of an eyebrow.

Julienne's scowl deepened as she threw Ragenard a glance.

“Julienne, you don’t have to aim at his head the whole time. Lower the gun down, but keep it ready. If something goes wrong with this conversation, put a bullet in Mr. Charm’s head here, who just called you a psycho bitch, while I tear his buddy’s throat out” Ragenard ordered Julienne in Terran, with a smile.

Julienne let out a snort of amusement as she lowered the gun. She kept it in hand, but the muzzle was directed at the floor now.

“Now, gentlemen. Let’s quickly decide if we’re going to be killing each other shortly, for you’ve arrived upon our territory tonight unexpectedly and unerringly performing heroic services and arriving in our private dwellings on the kind of night that, frankly, makes me sad Julienne here didn’t kill you dead outside of my door.”

Riaze gaze had narrowed on Ragenard at his outburst of laughter, then faded into a blank poker face as the other continued to talk. He instantly decided he didn’t like this one.

“Well,” the lycan began. “We figured that trying to meet in the open, given what we saw last night was out of the question. Likewise, we stayed away from wherever you were gathering in the wake of that. You seem to have a problem, Ragenard.”

He recalled that was the name the female had given him. “We wanted to help.”

“Around here, a man with only one problem can count himself lucky” Ragenard replied curtly before continuing without waiting for the man before him to finish speaking.

“I, for example, see two before me and that’s without counting the city’s worth of problems at my back” Ragenard replied with what at the surface would have seemed like nothing more than sarcasm.

Ragenard was sure Julienne would have no problem picking up on Ragenard’s subtle note of impatience however, and he struggled to keep himself in firmer control, lest he give her the signal at the wrong time.

“Let’s cut to the chase, whoever you are. I care little for your names, but to you I am Mr. Guiscard. I’m a very busy man, who has not tried to kill you yet because there is a possibility you’ve done me a favor in aiding mine, and it is not the Guiscard way to repay kindness with blood” Ragenard exclaimed as he stretched to his full height and cracked the bones of his neck loudly.

“However, the question of whether what you did for mine was indeed a favor, and not a convenient bit of subterfuge to help strengthen your agenda still remains to be seen. I don’t trust you, whoever you are, and your words already put you at great peril” Ragenard warned, as he began to consider the ramifications of their naive and idiotic admission to spying on them.

Frowning, he turned his body slightly sideways in relation to Riaze, a precursor to his pouncing upon him that Julienne couldn’t possibly miss.

“You have ten minutes to make your case and speak your piece, after which time you will leave this building, and move away in a direction of your choosing until you’re out of this city district. And believe me, that’s the nicest and most diplomatic option on the table tonight” he finished gravelly as he locked eyes with Riaze, intending to hold his gaze the entire time the other would be in his presence if necessary.

as written by Tiko, Alara, and Dashmiel

Riaze studied Ragenard, listening to his little speech and weighing it in his head. For his part, he seemed calm, at ease. Heart steady and slow, breathing regular. His hand came up, rubbing at the scarred ruin of his missing eye, a tick he’d had since long before Westeria City. For those who knew him, it was a dead giveaway. He was in a mood to crack a skull.

Sighing, he turned to Chase. “Let’s go. This airhead isn’t even the one we wanted to meet.”

“Not even the fucking Alpha. Got shot for an ass of a Beta.”

“Don’t let what remains of the door hit you on the ass on your way out, gentlemen” Ragenard exclaimed with a smile towards Julienne.

He received no sting from the stranger’s insult, and in fact derived a perverse pleasure at seeing the other be the first to turn away.

“Wait, what?” Julienne couldn’t help but gape in astonishment at Ragenard. “You’re just letting them fucking walk away?”

“Yes, I’m letting them fucking walk away, Juls. I have a pack to protect from real enemies, and for now these two aren’t it” he replied curtly, as he turned away to raid the remainder of his liquor cabinet, his curiosity in the two interlopers rapidly waning.

as written by KittyWolfSpirit

Talyria had been wandering Lutetia lost in thought since the last time Viktor and she had spoke. She had made the attempt to keep her distance from him on purpose. Sanina, had been someone she didn't quite trust, Riaze was the same way considering she didn't know either, but on the other hand...she really had no reason to distrust Riaze like she had with Sanina. She never asked Viktor about the night Sanina was willingly going to let him drain her, nor did she intend to do so either. Viktor was hers, and he didn't think of her in any romantic appeal like her brain had teased her with the possibility. So she figured, it was in her best interest to try and make the best of her time here. She wouldn't try to find Viktor or the others she had ventured with. She would simply try to wander about. Though she knew it was edging close to a time when she would need to feed again, she refused to let Viktor keep her as a sort of pet that he could feed. Even if the offer was in her best interest. She blindly wandered, not really thinking about where she was or was going.

as written by Script

It was late evening by the time René's shift at the diner ended, and dark had long since fallen. Walking home alone at night was an unfortunate feature of his long hours, and he was fairly sure the only reason he rarely ran into any trouble was that he didn't look like he had anything worth stealing. The Bloodstones kept this area safer than some parts of Vargeras, but it was near the edges of their territory. The occasional desperate sort would take to the street to try and make some cash from a mugging, however ill advised it was.

The only light upon his route was provided by the scattered street lamps, and not all of them were actually working. It was as he passed beneath one of the flickering spotlights that he first got the feeling that he was being watched.

He paused, glancing over his shoulder. The street was empty, as far as he could see - though swathes of it were naught but shadow to his eyes. There were no footsteps.

Shaking his head, René reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone - a worn, worthless old brick, but functional enough for what he needed it for. He'd got it second hand, and did his best to ignore the odd stain across the keypad. Thumbing through his contacts, he tapped his way down to Elliot's number and hit dial.

He'd passed from the flickering street lamp to the beam of one that was fully functional, now, but still felt eyes boring into the back of his head. Again, he looked over his shoulder, and found nothing.

"Hey, René. What's up?"

Elliot's voice was reassuring to hear. He hated to waste credit, but it was better to be safe than sorry. "Hi El. I'm just walking home, and... this is gonna sound dumb, but I keep getting the feeling that someone's watching me. I just figured I'd call, so someone knows where I am."

"How far out are you? Do you want me to meet you?"

"Not if it's inconvenient. I mean, it's probably nothing. But-"

He cut off as he stepped around a corner. There was a man standing on the pavement ahead of him, gaunt and pale in the light of the corner street lamp. His hair was greasy and hung long over his face, and his eyes were a bright and feral crimson.

"René?"

"Err-"

As if prompted by his attempt at speech, the figure twitched, and with astounding speed he surged forwards, batting the phone from René's hand. It skidded across the ground with a clatter. The man grabbed him by the arm, breathing heavily.

"Hey! Get off me! Stop! Help!" He struggled against the pale man's grip, but it was vice-like. For his gauntness, he was impossibly strong. That was when he saw the fangs in the man's mouth, and his breath caught. He could just about make out Elliot's muffled voice yelling through his phone, but he knew that he wouldn't get here in time.

There were houses around them, but nobody was going to respond to his cries for help. Not in this part of the city.

The vampire was practically drooling, taking pleasure in the anticipation of its meal, when it spotted something that abruptly gave it pause. Something behind him. And then the music started. It was an eerie sound, like a voice that echoed from inside his head, both beautiful and sinister. The world around him blurred, and his thoughts and body started to feel lethargic. Even his fear seemed to fade into a comfortable haze of lassitude.

The same thing seemed to be happening to the vampire, though it was apparently struggling more. René wondered why. It had released him, but he didn't move, instead just slowly sinking to his knees. The vampire stumbled backwards, batting at its own head. And then a black shape shot over him and impacted it, knocking it to the ground. A mass of tentacles emerging from a vaguely humanoid figure enveloped the disoriented vampire and began to pulse.

The gaunt vampire struggled, throwing the mass of black around as it lashed about in the constricting grip, but its efforts were stymied by its lethargy. Slowly, its struggles grew slower, until it lay still on the ground. Its flesh shriveled and its eyes dimmed.

The shadow-creature lifted off of the silenced vampire, and turned towards René. It was a strange looking thing, he thought idly as he stared at it, still lacking the energy to worry for his safety. It was hard to tell where it ended and the shadows began. All tentacles and ooze-like, it moved as though it were more liquid than solid, undulating. At the core of the tentacles appeared to be a more humanoid shape, like a torso without legs. Two large, hollow eyes of pure white stared back at him. Oddly, it looked like it was afraid.

'This... this one saved you.' The song began to fade in his head, replaced by a voice that sounded oddly like that of a child. It was of indeterminate gender, echoing unnaturally just as the song had. 'The other ... it was all hate, all hunger. All pain, all death. This One gave it an end, and saved you. It was right, yes? It saved, protected. You are not afraid of it?'

As his mind slowly returned to normal, René blinked slowly at the creature before him. And his eyes widened. "St-stay back!" he scrambled backwards. "D-don't hurt me. What ... what are you?"

'This One is of the Void. The Great One made it, but now the Great One is gone. It ... wanders. People call it different things. In the lost place they called it voidling, but then it got lost from the lost place... now they call it demon. This One doesn't like that. They sound afraid when they call it that.' The creature slid forwards slightly, though how it propelled itself was unclear. One tendril lifted tentatively towards him. 'This One doesn't want to hurt. It wants to fix, to make the hurt go away, to make the fear go away. How? How does it do that? Why do you fear?'

A demon. Saints. René had never been particularly religious, but he couldn't help but mouth a prayer in the face of this monster. He edged back, further away from its tentacle. "B-because you're a demon." As he spoke, though, his eyes slid across to the vampire. This creature had saved him from imminent death. It certainly sounded like it didn't mean him harm, but after seeing what it did to the vampire... "What... why did you save me?

'It already told you. Because the other was all hurt and hunger. It was going to make you hurt. This One wants to stop the hurt, because the hurt makes This One hurt too. There was no warmth in the other thing. Not like in you. Human. Humans are warm. Elves are warm. Things like the other thing are not warm. They are hollow.'

Thankfully, the had stopped its advance, perhaps because it had realised it was clearly making him uncomfortable. "What do you mean, the hurt makes you hurt?" He asked after a moment.

'When other things hurt, This One feels the hurt. The sadness. The fear. It tried to ignore it before, but it can't. It tried to stay away from all the hurts, as well, but it ...' The eerie voice hesitated, and when it continued it carried an edge of confusion. '... it started to hurt then, too. A different hurt, like sadness. But quieter. So This One came back to find more warm things. But the warm things run away when they see it, and call it demon, and try to hurt it. Even when they don't touch it, it still hurts. But ... quieter.'

"You ... were lonely," René murmured. "What are you?" He shook his head. "That was, uh, rhetorical. You don't need to answer again. I know you've explained, but..." He frowned, realising that he was slowly becoming less fearful of this creature. Was he just being lulled into a false sense of security? But why would it need to do that, after what it had just done to a vampire? Could this horrific looking creature really be as innocent as it sounded?

After a moment's pause, he spoke again. "Do you have a name, other than 'This One'?"

The creature seemed to be taken aback by that question. 'This One ... Once. There was another, smaller warm thing. They weren't afraid of it. They asked it for a 'name', but it had none. They gave it one. They called it 'Zexal'.'

"Zexal..." René repeated the name to himself. The creature seemed even less frightening now that it had a name. "Well... thank you, Zexal. You saved me. That vampire was going to..." He grimaced. "Well, thanks, anyway. How come you're here, anyway? Where are you from?"

'It was made in the Void. Then it went to the Lost Place.' It scrunched its face up as though in thought. 'Lost Place name... it had a name ... The warm things called it Ae... Aelora? Zexal isn't sure. Then it wasn't there anymore, but it doesn't know why. Then it was in this city. It sometimes just goes places, without knowing where.'

René blinked, trying to make sense of what the creature was saying, and failing. Aelora? He'd never heard of it. And what did it mean by just 'going places'?

He was about to say something else, when a shout from the end of the street cut him off.

"Hey!" Elliot's yell bordered on a growl, and his footsteps sounded angrily as he sprinted towards them. "Get away from him, whatever the fuck you are!"

"Elliot, wait!" René scrambled to his feet to try and warn his friend away, but Zexal had already turned to stare at the bulky teenager charging towards it. Wide-eyed, it shrunk away, slipping into the shadows with startling speed and seemingly vanishing into nothingness. One moment it was there, the next there was nothing. René stared at the spot where the creature had vanished even as Elliot reached him, panting heavily.

"Fuck, are you alright? I heard you yelling, and I ran as fast as I could, but I thought- I thought I would be too..." Elliot's voice cracked, and he pulled René to him in a hug, eliciting a startled yelp from the smaller boy.

"I'm alright..." René murmured reassuringly, lifting a hand to pat at Elliot's arm. "I... was rescued, I think."

"Huh?" Elliot stepped back, and only then did he seem to notice the shriveled corpse in the road. "Whoa. Holy shit. What is..?"

"A vampire. I'm pretty sure, anyway..." René glanced towards the shadows where Zexal had disappeared. "That thing... the black thing, it saved me."

"What? A vampire? Aren't they- And that thing saved you?"

René nodded. "I think we should probably call the Garde... I'll explain everything that happened later, but can we head home now? I ... I think I really need to sit down."

"Of course! I'll call my mom and tell her to warm something up for you and your gran." He stepped over to where René's phone lay and picked it up, proffering it to him. "C'mon, then. Explaining can wait till we're warm."

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Emperor Jester and duramon

A hand ran through luscious black locks, as dark as raven wings as he lifted his mouth from his most recent kill. Or what was left of it. Scraps of bone, flesh, and clothes, even some metal from a tooth filling he had spit out while devouring the poor vagrants face. Hunting in wolf territory wasn't his preferred choice, but the woman had run to the border in her terrified plight. Stupid thing.

Wiping his mouth as best he could to remove the sweet sanguine caked over his lips and features, Nox would yawn as he retrieved his clothes from the driest, cleanest part of the alley. It was better to eat nude, to avoid splatters on fabrics that cost more than most mortals made in a year. Besides, the moonlight and the autumn-to-winter winds felt so blissful against his snow driven skin. Once he was more or less clean, dressed, and groomed, the Caer Patriarch would step out from his hidden hole, hands reaching behind his head to pull his trapped hair out from underneath the hem of his coat. The breeze combined with the silky consistency of said hair gave the overly handsome giant the momentary appearance of wings and he couldn't help but let a shiver run through him.

The girl hadn't been a virgin, but her flesh had still be mostly fresh. And thats what had mattered. Warm, pumping sanguine and struggling flesh giving way to cruel fangs and gnashing teeth.

Such ecstasy would be short lived. With narrowed, icy eyes and a snarl building on his lips, Nox soon realized he wasn't alone.

____

The wolf took a deep breath and ran a hand swiftly through her hair. Her and her crew had been nearby waiting for the Caer to finish feeding, and now was show time. The wolf was nervous because, well, it was quite possible she was going to be mauled on a whim. No amount of confidence and strength meant rushing towards deaths door was a fun experience. She'd been procrastinating for some time now, mostly so she would behave. Seeing a Naked Adonis would be bad for the business she was hoping to foster, it was the murder business, but she didn't intend to be the first customer just the same. Before she crossed that barrier she checked everything was tidy and presentable. Black dress shirt, check. Red undershirt, check. Black dress pants and shoes, also check. Duffelbag of goodies, good to go.

With one last tug of the cuffs on her black dress-shirt she spun herself around the corner with her hands behind her back, a non-hostile stance. "I'm sorry to interrupt my lord Caer, or should I say Malcolm?" She began. "I've been looking to touch base for awhile now, you and I have a mutual acquaintance and a pain in the ass." She placed the duffelbag in front of herself, a bag containing the weaponry and a scrap of armour from a Paladin, the zipper open to reveal glimpses of the contents including the unique crimson blade of order-make.

"My name is Mordred Holstadt and I wonder if you might be interested in a mutually beneficial conversation, consider the bags contents a sampler of what we can do for you." She offered, accenting the 'we', pausing for a second to check out the body of the Vampire Adonis.

Regrets.

"Apologies again for uuuh, intruding." She offered with an awkward shrug.

____

Nox fixed the arrival with a steely gaze, lips twitching in annoyance at being even slightly interrupted. The snarl finished forming and escalated into a deep-throated growl, realization blooming behind those icy blue eyes, a sound of disappointment and rage. "Rei. You mean Rei. How do you know it?" Politically correct as always, this Caer was. There was more behind his uneasy hostility though. Something on the wind was screaming WOLF at him, but the practical part of him reminded the nosferatu about where he was. How close he was to pack territory.

Still. The ruined scraps of one of the Church's Holy Soldiers was hard to ignore. To Nox, yes, they were as if paper. But to others, even the vile mutts that roamed this city, or to a lesser extent, his traitorous kindred, they could prove to be a task. He wasn't impressed, but nor was he entirely dismissive.

"Speak quick, woman. I am in no mood or mind for riddles or guess work. Make your intentions clear, and say what you have to say."

____

Grumpy and blunt, Mordred could appreciate that. Although the attitude could do with some adjusting it was only natural when you sat at the top of the food chain. It'd be hard to keep a sunny disposition with everybody else jammed under your ass. Hard to walk too.

"Good, then I'll skip the ass kissing. I've had eyes on you since you took my sis on a romp after the party, a Caer is big news. But I'll spare the life story." She paused and fished out a business card. "I've been building up my squad, doing runs against the Order here and there in preparation for bigger and better things, and after watching I figured with you gearing up yourself, nothing else is bigger and better."

She held out the card to him, a phone number and an address on the flimsy thing beside a picture of a rose growing out of a bloody street.

"Your enemies are moving and since I intend to rip them to shreds, I thought we might be able to partner, employ, be employed by, whatever you want to designate it as. I have specialists for whatever you need, manpower, connections, supplies. I don't expect to be trusted, and I don't care whether you spare me the courtesy. I want the Order on it's knees and my sister back, whoever else you want put in the ground is collateral damage."

Mordred could feel the snarl that would mean a fight, or rather, a slaughter. She could only come off as desperate or stupid to announce such things in a back alley of Wolf territory. She had the area on lock down, but that didn't mean squat to the monster who was standing face to face with a lone woman talking big in an alley with only a single bundle of scraps to back herself up. It was whether or not he would muster the effort to glance beyond the room of the encounter that counted. Truth be told, Mordred was a little desperate, she'd never intended to rely on any other factor, but when her sister was found by her scout, alive, only to be lost a few days later within the folds of the Order. Well, what kind of trash would she be if she couldn't dance with the devil for that?

Confident trash, undeservingly confident trash. Just as she'd always been.

"Rough detailing, but, thoughts?" She queried non-chalantly, dealing at deaths door was never a fun experience, but after a certain amount of time, you just had to stop caring.

____

as written by Emperor Jester

Nox felt an eye roll building the entire time, along with an angry, bored sigh. He was completely ready to dismiss this sibling of the one who had failed him so quickly, possibly even kill her out of sheer pettiness. Who was this welpling mortal to come to him, beg him for help? Nox chose his partners, his allies, all except one, and just by looking at this bitch, he knew she was nothing compared to his much missed Sanina Lessard.

In fact, the Caer was so ready to enact his wrath, going so far as to flex his fingers, more pointedly, the dagger like claws that seemed to suddenly adorn the ends of his fingers. But then, her passion, her hate, directed at the one place that would make Nox listen. The Monastic Order. And then, he'd actually LISTEN to the rest of her words, repeating them in his head, slowly.

It would be several long minutes before he'd speak, or respond in any way. Except for an eerie, impossibly slow smile. A grin that rivaled that of any sharks. Then he thought of the boy, Nathan Hart, and the smile quickly threatened to crack his face in half. "...Tell me about these specialist, and everything you know about local news stations..."

____

Mordred shivered slightly at the smile, the Cheshire grin that looked like it might tear apart the monsters face. She'd been considering dropping the use of the word for the Caer, but the grin reinforced it as accurate. She was a mutt, but he was a monster through and through.

At least she wasn't dead yet.

"Sounds like you have a plan. I've got pair of nerds who can handle anything from broadcasting to scrambling whatever garbage they have in the stations, and I can get a list of every building hosting radio or television for the city. All I'll need is to hire chumps to follow instructions, it'll cost a pretty penny, but they're local stations, we can get the manpower to hijack all of them with time to gather men." She took a moment to stare at the Caer, trying to remember the details of the work up they'd made for the unpredictable monster. What kind of angle he could be working that she could add to. Pride had been a big feature, so he probably wanted a show.

"We can rig up the sights of the lobbies into the broadcast for viewers in key buildings, I'll leave behind my personal crew to make a show of the police and Paladin's that come if you want to send a message. We might lose a few, but we're prepared for that much." She added, offering up an extra to the job. Her people were prepared to die during their work, her own crew especially were nigh zealots. She just had to hope that the Caer's plans would hit hard enough to be worth it, if not, she could always order a withdrawal after the mess was left in plain view. It left a good point for her to show what her group could do, as much as she hated it, the Caer was the one on top in this relationship.

____

as written by Emperor Jester

"So that is a yes? Good. For a second, I was unsure if that confidence and bluster was all bullshit or not." A pause. "And as for things costing 'a pretty penny', you leave that to me. I'll cover all expenses needed, but all that matters is that you get me, a dog, and a boy on camera for at least three minutes. Thats all the time I'll need." He spoke as if he needed help getting inside one of these places, which was a joke of course. However, as much as he hated to admit it, Nox knew next to nothing about modern technology. He'd barely kept up with it when his family was on the top of the corpse pile they'd turned this city into, but during his half a century exile, the Caer's knowledge on the subject had only slipped further and further behind.

And he doubted the boy's mutt, let alone Nathan himself, knew how to operate a camera. The boy was blind, and the dog had no thumbs, so both were out of the question entirely, and to be honest, he had no faith in the sibling of one who had failed him so absolutely. Still, with the manor destroyed and his forces mediocre at best, he knew desperate measures were called for. But damn all things to the cold winters of hell before he'd ever admit such a thing. "Start looking around then. Find these people you'll need, and start figuring out which station we'll be putting on my show at. I'm not picky."

Something would fly through the air towards the half-breed after Nox fumbled around in one of his many pockets on his substitute coat, a burner phone. "Only one number in there. Call it once you have a crew assembled. I'll have to meet them of course. To see if they meet my approval."

____

Mordred looked at the Caer with confusion for a moment, apparently he'd not gotten what she was saying. She glazed over whatever it is he wanted to broadcast, those were details for her crew to deal with. An open purse would move things along swiftly enough, not many scumbags would turn down an open invitation to flip off the police for solid pay. So long as they didn't know any better about what they were contributing too.

First was correcting, or rather, gently mentioning, her intentions to the Caer. Handling him was like dealing with a very angry, very murdery toddler.

She caught the phone and without looking at it slipped it into her pocket, she'd memorize the number for later, no reason to leave a paper trail for a wanted war criminal. Caer were on too many hitlist's nowadays. "I'm already runnin' a recruitment drive, if the budgeting is on you men aren't an issue, we can afford to be less picky for a few jobs, filler chumps. But I'll call ya when critical crew are assembled." She paused and ran a hand through her hair again, it was likely a form of tic. "As I was sayin' about stations, I was thinking, all of them. I'll do the leg work, might as well make a big show."

A big enough movement on her end would put her crew on the map, and paint a target on the Order for the underworld to rally behind. It would have been decades since they had something to rally behind that looked promising, this way, she'd be rolling in chumps. Bodies to throw at whatever she needed, and within them genuine gems to filter through the muck for her own personal crew. If things went well that is. Mass terrorism was a difficult thing to master.

She whistled and there was a nearly imperceptible shuffling from above as the lockdown lifted, Mordred poked a thumb behind herself. "It'll be a pleasure to do business, if you'll excuse me?" She questioned.

as written by Script

Two nights passed by before the paladins received another lead. It was Sunday evening, the hour approaching nine, when they received a call while on patrol from Officer Niels.

"I've got something for you," he'd said immediately as the phone was answered. "A missing kid down on Solar Avenue, called in less than an hour ago. The parents had a fight and the kid ran off while they were distracted. They haven't seen him for three hours. The mother reported hearing eerie singing while she was out looking. We've got people out searching already, but given your little demon's known for its singing... I figured I'd give you a call, in case it's linked."

He passed on the address to them, then hung up quickly to return to the search. Close to Lumiena Square and the border to Merveilleux, Solar Avenue was one of the nicer parts of Vargeras, made up of terraced housing as opposed to apartment buildings or government housing. Violent crime in the area was below average for the neighbourhood, although the slightly more well-to-do residents attracted a higher rate of theft to compensate.

A pair of police cars would be parked outside the house of the missing child when the paladins arrived, with a dark-haired woman leaning on the hood of one of them and holding a radio.

as written by Ronin

Lu Roux nightclub lodged in the back of Vargeras like mucus in a groggy throat. It lay nestled between two run-down warehouses, far removed from the main streets and shops that gave Vargeras its lifeblood. From the outside it almost looked abandoned, its windows darkened, paint chipped and fading. A flashing neon sign near the entrance was the only ornament distinguishing Lu Roux from the surrounding vagrancies: "COME ON IN".

The interior fared no better. The lights were low and dim, sparring the worn furniture and chipped floorboards from any passing glances. The music thrummed deep and heavy from static-sodden speakers while footsore strippers danced on half-painted poles for the enjoyment of an audience too drunk to notice anything other than their cleavage. The liquor was watered, the food flash-frozen. The bathrooms in the corner smelled like mold and piss. Why Lu Roux saw business at all was anyone's guess.

Jacques Duran knew why people came to Lu Roux. He lounged in one the corner sofas, sipping at a jack and coke from a smudged tumbler. Two dancers flanked him, painted fingers rested on his shoulders and arms. He kicked his feet onto a table with an ash tray that housed six spent cigarettes. His eyes were on the distant stage appraising the girls on display, looking for a third partner for the evening. He didn't like these ones as much. Too skinny. Best of the bunch was a red-head with tattoos trailing her arms, but she had piercings in her lip and Jacques didn't like that.

"Calem," he called one of his two bodyguards.

The heavy man took his eyes off the stage.

Jacques took a swallow of murk. "Where's that girl from the last dance... you remember. With the long dark hair."

One of the girls put her hands in his hair and twisted the locks. "What's the matter, monsieur? Aren't we enough for you?"

"Not by half," he grinned, "but don't worry, darling. There's plenty to go around." He reached into his jacket and retrieved two crisp hundred-crown bills. "Go find her. Give her these, tell her I'd like a private dance."

"Sure thing." Calen took the bills and wandered off behind stage. Mariotto chuckled as he left.

"Three girls, boss?" the second bodyguard perked a brow, "you're feeling ambitious tonight."

Jacques raised his glass. "Work hard, play hard, my friend. It's been a very successful month."

"Gotta wonder why you'd celebrate in a place like this," Mariotto shook his head, "look at this dump. I can name three better joints in Vargeras alone."

"That's cuz' he knows where the best girls are," one of the strippers smiled lazily and massaged Jacques' neck.

"Hah. Don't flatter yourself, honey. Keep doing that though. Yeah, that's good." Jacques nodded at Mariotto. "Look out into that crowd, Mario. What kinda men do you see?"

Mario folded his arms over his chest and lifted his head. "Hm. Drunks. Hard labor workers. Coupla office jockeys."

"See any businessmen? Any off duty cops or big whigs?"

"No."

"How about gangsters?" Jacques took the other stripper's hand and guided it to his neck. "Any bikers? Pack wolves?"

Mario's brows knit. "...huh. No, I don't."

"Therein lies the magic of Lu Roux, my friend," Jacques closed his eyes, smiling, "place is so out of the mainstream that it's politics-free. No characters. No watching eyes. No drama. Everyone that walks in here is just a regular joe looking for a bit of fun. Bit of sin. Keep working on that, darling. Yeah. That's good..." He reclined into the sofa. "...in Lu Roux, a man can sin in peace."

"So that's why you like this place so much," Mario grinned, "still, I'm sure-" He startled, glaring into the distance. "Holy shit, is that-"

Jacques eyes flew open. He saw his bodyguard rise, rushing forward to stiff arm an armorclad figure marching towards the table. The metal man grabbed Mario's extended hand and twisted it. His arm shot forward like a viper into his bodyguard's jacket and came out with his pistol. His free hand shot forward, palm open, and struck Mario in the sternum. His bodyguard flew backwards and collapsed into the chair he'd been sitting in not six seconds ago.

The paladin loomed over Jacques. He was broad-shouldered, garbed in Monastic full plate which strobed a dull gleam in the club's flashing skylights. His eyes lay hidden beneath a darkened visor, his lips pulled into a tight grimace. The awed and frightened faces of his escorts reflected in the black glass.

"Leave," he rumbled, his voice a diesel engine.

The strippers fled. Jacques saw Mariotto struggle to rise with fists clenched. He quickly waived him off.

"Get the car. Wait for me outside."

The bodyguard looked as if he would protest, but another glare from the paladin coerced a quick nod. He ran off.

The knight turned his full attention on Jacques. The dealer swallowed, the taste of coke and cheap whiskey sour on his tongue. His eyes wandered the belt on his hip, complete with sword and infamous Lawkeeper, up the raven-emblazoned chest plate of his armor, straight up to the stubbled jawline and tight-drawn lips which seemed to have eyes of their own.

"Jacques Duran." His name left the knights mouth as if he were spitting something out in disgust.

The smuggler coughed. "Fuck."

as written by glmstr and Ronin

La Roux. Seedy, dilapidated, nowhere special even for the city's major powers. Arianne had previously visited the place, or more accurately what was on the building plot before La Roux. A family-run magic shop that, in reality, was a major fence and distributor for many members of the underground magic scene. Clearly some vestige of the trade still flowed through the place, that or one of the more mundane cartels got their hands on something they didn't understand.

Instead of the usual attire, the witch opted for something more ordinary, a black peacoat with similarly colored slacks and boots, and a scarf wrapped around her neck with what appeared to be some foreign text on it. She waited across the street with the intent of letting the night progress before moving in, though the sound of a Destrier forced her to cut that short. Fabre watched the paladin, most likely that meddlesome Durandet, enter the building with no hesitation nor ceremony. Once he entered, she crossed the street and lingered just outside the door, hearing quite the commotion as people started to pour from the building. Of the few people she recognized, they were all docile and innocent enough that there was no reason to pursue. However, something was happening inside and she needed to act quickly.

When no bystanders were paying her mind, she leaned against one particularly shady corner, seemingly melting directly into the shadows themselves. Arianne emerged inside the club in one of the more unlit spaces, out of Savien's field of view but in plain sight of Duran. The process was completely silent, though for the paladin, the alien yet familiar emptiness returned, of the unseen creatures gnawing at his mind.

____

The paladin loomed over the smuggler, oblivious to Arianne's entrance. "Let's talk."

Duran pressed himself into the sofa. "I got nothing to say to you, tinman."

"Sure you do. You can tell me what you told Nicole. The night before you killed her."

Jacques's eyes widened. "I didn't kill anyone."

"You dealt her the ring that ended her life." A low growl loosed from his throat. "Where did you get them, Duran? Be quick. I'm not feeling patient."

A bit of anger crept through Duran's fear. "You've got nothing on me." He spat. "Go to hell, palapig."

Savien's jaw tightened. "You first." The knight's armored boot kicked over the table between them and he descended on the criminal...

He stopped in his tracks, perking at the familiar otherworldly-call of Arianne's summoned monstrosities. They wouldn't manifest as easily as they had last time. If her assault was a mental infiltration, the paladin's trained mind would offer a vigorous resistance against the intrusion. If it the beasts were actually summoned, as they had been in the library, Arianne would find her magic mysteriously stifled in the space around Savien. Primium studs in his armor would begin to glow, the metal engravings acting a real-space anchor, keeping Savien and everything around him rooted in its current dimensional space.

"Did you think that would work a second time, witch?" he looked out into the darkness, teeth barred. He turned to Duran and grabbed him by his collar, forcing him up. "You're under arrest. Don't try anything." He forced Jacques' hands behind his back and cuffed him. The paladin kept Duran close by, scanning the shadows for any sign of his rival. "I'm leaving with him, Arianne. Don't get in my way."

____

What Savien didn't know, however, was that there was no otherworldly call, no 'beckoning'. The gnawing came from within, as if an otherworldly infection, and the unthinkable monstrosities were the purulent tumors clinging to his very essence. The witch smirked at the paladin's barking, his desperate grasping for authority, but no badge ever threatened her, or ever would.

"A second time? I'm sorry, but I don't think you understand," her grin widened further, wolfish yet smug, "I didn't do anything. I simply, shall I say, chummed the waters. You can't escape now I'm afraid," her smile was almost ear to ear, "they have your scent."

Arianne stepped forward and slipped her right hand into her coat. "And as for you, Duran," from the pocket she produced a 9mm pistol and leveled it at the suspect, reaching into another pocket and producing a cloth effigy, not unlike a doll, in her other hand. Its body was covered in an unknown script, the same language as what was written on her scarf.

"I will have to take him off your hands."

BLAM!

The flash of gunpowder illuminated the room as the 9mm bullet tore through Duran's skull, spraying blood, bone and brain matter both on the floors and walls, as well as some on Savien himself. Her silvery eyes flickered to brilliant gold momentarily, and the symbols on the doll suddenly came to life, glowing a sickly green and gaining a sort of warmth. She stuffed the doll into her pocket and chuckled.

"You'll have to try harder than that," the witch backed into the corner she came from, melting into the shadows again and disappearing without a trace.

While the gnawing within Savien noticeably lessened when Arianne exited, it did not cease.

____

Savien's hand went to his belt as she spoke, trying to place her location by the direction of her voice. He hardly understood who 'they' were, but he wasn't keen on finding out..

Gunfire. Duran flew backwards into the couch, his blood spattering Savien's pauldron. The knight couldn't even be bothered to flinch. A half-second later his Lawkeeper was drawn, shining a bright beam into the darkness where Arianne hid. The bar of color on the weapon's frame went from yellow to blue as the ammunition tumbler cycled to a new magazine. Stun bolts. He took aim as she finished her mysterious spell, squeezing off two rounds aimed at the witch's chest. Bzzt. Bzzt. The shock charges whirred through the air, perhaps finding their mark.

Arianne felled or no, Savien would activate the comms in his gauntlet. "Control, this is Durandet. I need paramedics and backup to my location. Suspected malfeasance, take precautions." He glanced out into the club. The music had stopped. Most had fled the room after the gunshot, but a few still remained. "Get the hell out of here!" He gruffed, drawing his sword in his offhand and balancing it against his forearm. The monstrous whispers called to him, inhuman tongues chanting an unholy litany from the surrounding shadows. The paladin drew a breath and switched his Lawkeeper back to live ammunition. Duran's brains painted the sofa behind him. Savien's lead was killed - shot dead whilst under his protection. Nicole was that much farther away from getting justice. Whatever fear the knight may have felt at the encroaching monstrosity was eclipsed by indignant rage.

As the voices closed in, the paladin's grimace twitched into the beginning of a grin. Good. Let them come.

____

The stun rounds traveled right through Arianne's disappearing form, stirring up an abyssal smoke from the would-be target as it embeds itself into the wall. She slipped through simply to the other side of the wall into an alley, where a woman in a red cocktail dress leaned on a motorcycle. The witch smirked and handed the effigy over, the recipient quickly stuffing it into the small purse that hung at her elbow. In exchange, the makeshift courier handed the dark witch a long canvas sack, within it a thin silver-white longsword.

"Look good in that, Ylva," Fabre gave a smirk and briefly hugged the familiar face.

"I wouldn't have dared wear something this scandalous when I was young," the fellow witch offered a smile in response.

"You are also older than most of these buildings," Arianne waved dismissively.

"Whatever."

"Anyways, I appreciate you coming out to help me with this. Remember, if anyone tries to stop you for any reason, especially the church, kill them. A paladin was in there, had to bind our guy before he got carted off to jail. Just make sure he gets to Cecile, then we can keep working."

Ylva nodded and climbed onto the motorcycle beside her, starting up the engine. It roared to life, almost immediately speeding off with the telltale scream of a racing bike. Once the sound died away, Arianne stepped out from the alley onto the street. She needed to not only buy time, but also teach this tin-can his place. Every time they spoke, he seemed to make it just that much more personal.

She removed the scarf from her neck and wrapped a section around the sword's blade, as if wiping it clean, and dragged the weapon through the cloth. It emerged wreathed in a thin bluish glow, and she put the accessory back around her neck. As much as she despised enchanted clothing, Cecile's handiwork was something she could trust. She could feel its latent spell activating, her muscles seemed to suddenly pulse with life and her body felt weightless. So far, everything was working as intended.

The shadowy witch stood at the ready with her blade, staring the paladin down.

____

Savien burst out of the club to the sound of screeching tires, catching a glimpse of the fleeing witch revving out of the alley and disappearing into the night. Just a patron fleeing the bar, perhaps? He hadn't seen any motorcycles when he'd come in. Why had she left from an alleyway?

The knight's suspicions mounted as he saw Arianne exit the same alley. He moved his gauntlet to his mouth. "Control, a female suspect fled the scene on a black and silver motorcycle. Looked like a New Gerard S60. Intercept if you can."

The paladin stepped into the street to face the witch. He backhanded his sword and leveled his Lawkeeper over his forearm. "Arianne Fabre." His voice resonated through the empty street. "In the name of Lutetia and Saint Selene, you are under arrest for murder, arcane malfeasance and obstruction of justice." The tumbler on his gun shifted to a dark green. "Drop the weapon or I drop you."

as written by Script

A fluttering of wings, easily lost in the unfolding chaos, announced the presence of an observer. A raven had taken perch upon a lamppost overlooking the confrontation between witch and paladin. It sat in silence, watching.

as written by glmstr and Ronin

Ylva cranked down on the throttle farther, accelerating her bike to double (or sometimes triple) the posted speed limits while she wove through the late night traffic. All she needed to do was make it to Lornaine, but a suspicion festered that the church was already responding.

Arianne tensed at the paladin raising his weapon, narrowing her eyes and widening her stance somewhat. She raised her left hand, beginning to draw the same unrecognizable font in the air with her finger, her hand beginning to glow with a similar light to that which enveloped her blade.

"I have told you before and will tell you again, your badge has no power over me. Do not threaten what you fail to understand, paladin."

"Do your worst, or more accurately, try."

____

The paladin growled. "Gladly."

The tumbler cycled back to blue and another two shock rounds zapped out of Savien's Lawkeeper. The paladin was sure Arianne was projecting some sort of defensive magic - best to test the waters with ammunition that couldn't harm him if it were spit back at him. His gun quickly shifted back to the green, the paladin advancing closer to the witch. He eyed the sword in her hand, trying to identify the energy resonating in the metal from his studies.

____

Arianne's pupils narrowed as Savien pulled the trigger, sending the two shock rounds directly towards her center mass. In a blur of movement and the distinctive clash of metal, both bullets ricocheted into nearby buildings, accompanied by the characteristic buzzing of a haywire shot. The wolfish, predatory grin crept across her lips again as she also approached.

"What's wrong? Thought you could rely on your toys again?"

She raised her free hand again, once again painting the air with arcane calligraphy but this time a stream of light followed her fingertip to spell out the symbols. Once the 'phrase' was complete, she snapped her fingers. A patch of ground beneath Savien began to glow a dull red, then quickly turned to orange, then yellow, emitting more and more heat in the process. A soft hissing also accompanied it, which grew louder as the spot grew hotter.

____

The paladin watched his rounds go awry, deflected just before the point of reaching Arianne's person. Had she actually deflected the rounds with her sword? The clashing of metal just before the block certainly hinted at it.

Before he could get off another shot, Arianne's spell took effect. His armor and protective nomex saved him from the initial scorch, though it certainly wouldn't shield him forever. Grunting, Savien leapt out of the heat, pinning his firearm to his chest plate and diving away from the superheated cobblestone. He landed in a roll, armor clinking, coming up on one knee even closer to Arianne. His pistol leveled at her body; synchronized with the timing of his roll.

The Lawkeeper fired twice, green band, close-range buckshot rounds. Hot shrapnel spread out towards Arianne, twirling for her arms, legs and torso. Savien followed up quickly, rising to his feet and charging the witch, blade at ready. He would not sacrifice even the smallest advantage. He was a paladin. A human. Toys were all he had. Toys and wits.

____

Several seconds after Savien dove away from the cobblestone, the ground erupted in a geyser of flame the same size as the heated patch, sending a column of fire twenty to thirty yards straight up with a roaring blast. In response to the two buckshot shells fired, Arianne swiped her sword diagonally at the first gunshot, the blade whistling through the air at such a speed that it was only discernible after the fact, with both the same lead-on-steel clash and the momentary backswing of a practically invisible movement, the clusters of pellets embedding themselves into the ground. For the second shot she did not move, the buckshot connecting with the witch's form, reducing it to a puff of impossibly dark smoke. The smoke quickly recollected several paces closer than where it was 'shot', coming together into a human-sized cloud. From the acrid haze Arianne stepped out, seemingly unharmed.

The dark witch rolled her right wrist briefly, and walked towards the charging paladin until he was mere moments from running her through. Once again she disappeared right before he would have made contact, though this time reappearing much more quickly behind him, driving the pommel of her sword down in a movement to strike his back with it.

There was so much potentially at stake here, and she could not slow her pursuit just yet. The consequences if this mysterious mage's plans would almost certainly be devastating not just for Lutetia, but possibly for the planet at large. The Fabres would not, no, could not let that happen.

____

Savien's sword caught the air as Arianne teleported away from his stroke. The paladin had expected something of the sort - especially after seeing how she'd evaded his attacks earlier in the club. He tuned his senses, perking at the slight gust of wind on the back of his neck as Arianne displaced the air in the space behind him. He turned swiftly with blade brandished, bringing the steel against the driving pommel and redirecting it to the ground. Too close to fire buckshot, he followed the parry by attempting to pistol-whip Arriane across the temple.

The primium studs in his armor wouldn't just keep Savien from being ripped out of spacetime by Arianne's powers - it would keep anything within a five foot radius of his person firmly rooted in reality. Many kinds of teleportation would become difficult to engage, if not outright impossible. The paladin needed to keep close to her or risk letting her escape. Successful in his strike or not, he followed up by stepping inside her guard, blade whipping towards the back of her leg in an attempt to hamstring her.

He was vaguely aware of the fact that she was not trying to kill him. The fireblast was telegraphed to hell, the teleport backstab had been with the pommel of her sword, not the blade. What was she trying to do? Stall him? She'd already done that - Savien couldn't catch up to Ylva at this point if he tried. He only hoped his backup would be able to intercept her accomplice.

...or was she stalling for something else? Holding him off until whatever it was that had 'caught his scent' could catch up to him? He didn't know. He didn't want to find out. He needed to end this quickly.

____

The witch's strike slipped barely past Savien and stopped itself by the blade connecting to the ground, forcing her stance lower. The half-crouched posture made ducking under the paladin's pistol whip trivial, though the sword required much more attention.

She turned towards the side where the attack was coming from, her own body merely inches from the Paladin's armor. Arianne then intercepted with the sword with an upward slash and putting force that would be otherwise unreasonable for a human being behind it. Whilst doing so she stamped at the ground below Savien, the patch of asphalt slowly beginning to heat.

As each second passed her mind grew more at ease, but now a new concern was taking its place; Priscilla was still young, and the Vanguard needed to help hone her skills. If they managed to fail that, the evils of the world could take her away. The gift from the gods to Arianne, gone in an instant. The very thought terrified her.

Fabre leapt back fifteen feet from Savien and lowered her off hand. Shadowy smoke billowed from the earth below her, swirling and amalgamating into a funnel that stretched up to meet her palm, barreling into it as if being sucked in. When the dark witch then extended her hand dozens, quickly becoming hundreds, of small orbs of the now-condensed fumes surged towards Savien. Each one, around the size of a baseball and emitting a wispy trail behind it, shrieked as they each chose a different spot on the paladin to fly after.

____

The knight grunted as Arianne's counter nearly ripped his sword from his grip. Goddamn meta-human strength. What happened to the good old days where witches and sorcerers were glass cannons?

She leaped back, charging a spell, while below him the ground superheated once again. Savien glanced at the spheres forming around Arianne's hands before jumping backwards, away from her. As before, the cobblestone erupted in a geyser of flame ... just as Arianne unleashed her volley. The orbs would have to travel through the pillar of unnatural heat to reach their target. Savien was using Arianne's magic as a barrier against her own attack.

Whatever made it through would collide against Savien's Vigilance, the mobile shield retracting from his gaunlet from a four inch clasp to its full thirty inch diameter. The knight knelt, letting the barrier cover as much as possible, bracing himself against the onslaught. As he waited, he flipped the tumbler on his Lawkeeper to its red band.

The moment the volley ended, he lowered his shield and braced his weapon over the edge, taking. He took the barest second to ensure Arianne wasn't about to teleport her and there was no one behind her, before he fired. THOOM. The high-ex round thundered towards the witch. There could be no blocking this one - the moment anything touched the round, it would explode.

____

As the high-explosive round shot towards her, Arianne pulled a solid mass of the same solidified shadows up with a motion not unlike an uppercut. The barrier caught the projectile and managed to weather the explosion whilst protecting its caster, the shockwave and flame from the charge instead diverting to either side. A few moments later the witch planted her foot on the inside of the created wall and kicked it towards Savien, sending it careening down the street with the speed and force of a small car on a highway.

A few seconds after sending the large projectile, the witch crouched somewhat and rocketed into a supernaturally-enhanced sprint towards the paladin, staying behind it as long as possible before crouching down in front of him and then driving her first upwards to throw an uppercut.

as written by Script

In the moments that the barrier of shadow remained in front of Arianne, a pair of sinister red eyes formed upon its reverse to face her. A grin split the barrier beneath it, and the face spoke. Its voice was scathingly imperious, like that of a monarch addressing a particularly bothersome courtier.

"Your family always have been the sort to play with their food, Lady Fabre. But this... 'tis nothing short of clumsy, no?"

When the wall of shadow was launched towards Savien, the face faded, only to be replaced by a myriad of cracks that spread across it like a web. Before the projectile struck, it split, dispersing into a faint shadowy smoke that washed harmlessly over the paladin. A presence loomed over the witch's shoulder, ancient and chilling - though there appeared to be nothing there, aside from a slight darkening of the shadows.

"I fear we must find ourselves at odds today, my Lady. This one's life still has use to me. Toy with him all you wish, but you will not have his death."

as written by Peachy00Keen

Riding side by side in the lane down the road, Lorainne and Jareau made their way toward Savien's call outside a nearby club. The two, frequent partners, had set up headsets inside their helmets so they could converse while on the road. Lorainne glanced over at Jareau as they turned down a sidestreet.

"There are just two of them, right? One at the club and one that fled the scene. I can't imagine why they're giving him so much trouble," she said casually.

Her comment was met with a flat response from Jareau. "Neither can I. He's always been a save-the-day kind of guy. I can't imagine why he's failing now against a couple of half-rate kids."

"There's no need to be rude about it. He needs our help and that's what matters. Who knows, maybe when we get there, we'll find him utterly confused in the middle of some magical knitting circle." Lorainne snickered and glanced around at the buildings as they seemed to grow taller they deeper they got into this part of town. Maybe they were just getting closer together. Maybe it was the perception of the magic in the air that made everything feel heavier, darker. Or a summoning circle, she thought to herself.

"I'm pretty sure he could figure out how to knit if duty called for it. It's really not that hard." Jareau allowed a glance around and seemed to draw a similar conclusion as his partner had. "We must be getting close."

They rumbled up to a cross street and brought their bikes to the legally required stop. Just before reaching a full halt, another motorcycle sped past them along the street before them. The bike zipped by so quickly, that colors, lines, and forms all blurred into one dark mass. Lorainne shook her head in momentary confusion.

"Female suspect, black and silver bike -- likely one of those new Gerard S60 cycles?" Jareau asked vacantly, staring down the road after the rapidly vanishing motorcycle. He was already gripping and turning the throttle on his own bike. Before Lorainne could get the words out in response, his tires were already skidding hastily across the loose gravel in the road and carrying him around the corner at a suitable pursuit speed.

"Where are you going?!"

"I'm going after the suspect, duh."

"Uh," she said into the cloud of dust he had kicked up as she slowly rounded the corner in the other direction, "okay... bye. Pick up some apples from the store on the way home..."

The loud roar of his bike could be heard over the headset clearly. "I thought you just bought--"

"Jareau," Lorainne cut him off with an exasperated sigh, "Just catch the damn girl."

"You can count on it," he answered confidently.

Lorainne shook her head and ended the call. "Sometimes that man just blows my mind," she sighed to herself absently as she pulled her Destrier up to the front of the club, parking it beside Savien's. A nearby alleyway glowed with a hellishly bright fiery glow. Lorainne dismounted and placed her helmet on the seat of her bike. With one hand on her gun, she walked toward the luminous sidestreet. "Hmm, now I wonder where the standoff could possibly be happening..."

as written by Ronin

Savien held his gun at-ready, switching the tumbler back to its blue band. He scanned through the smoke following the explosion, unsure if the blast had been effective or not. He suspected not. Not with a witch.

Sure enough, Arianne was still standing, summoning more of her strange shadow magic. The paladin's eyes widened as she launched her protective barrier at him.

"Shit..." He tensed, ready to duck and roll - before the freight train of shadows mysteriously dispersed. That was weird. Not willing to waste time questioning his fortune in the thick of battle, Savien racked up his Lawkeeper and trained it on the advancing witch, and unloaded three rounds into her shields, chunks of whispy dark flying off of her barrier with every shot. It wasn't enough. Realizing he wasn't going to stop her, the paladin reholstered his firearm with lightning speed and readied his sword, Vigilance poised forward. His human reflexes had difficulty configuring exactly where she would end up, but he managed to put his shield between himself and her fist just as she launched upwards. Her knuckles rang against the steel barrier.

The paladin growled. With his hand closed around his sword, Savien punched downward at Arianne, attempting to drive his mailed fist into her face. He would follow up the assault quickly, attempting to eliminate as much distance between the two of them as he could. He would attempt to counter any motion by Arianne to separate.

"How does killing our only lead help Nicole?" he snarled as he fought, "you've only helped the enemy tonight."

as written by glmstr

With Savien's punch thrown downwards, Arianne leaned backwards to evade, responding once his momentum was lost by continuing her fall into a back handspring, her foot whipping upwards towards Savien's chin. Whether or not it hit she would push off with her hands to land on her feet and dash towards the paladin to intentionally clash swords against him.

"You're really that dense, aren't you?" The witch smirked, "If I let you take him, he'd refuse to talk and get thrown in jail for a few years, then he's back to do it some more. We've trapped his mind and soul here even if his body moved on, every second for us will be an eternity of agony and torment for our little friend until he tells us what he knows."

____

Ylva looked back behind her briefly, spotting a vehicle starting to pursue. The Druidic witch took another turn into a more deserted street , driving her foot into the concrete to pivot the bike so sharply. Once onto the more abandoned route, she waved her hand behind her and multiple writhing roots burst from the asphalt, each one the size of an entire tree individually.

as written by Peachy00Keen

Now within sight of the struggle going down in the alley, Lorainne drew her own sword. She watched as the witch, intently focused on Savien, made a move in. From where she stood, Lorainne was within charging distance of either of them. She waited for the girl to begin to make her dash toward Savien before sprinting silently from the shadow where she stood. Bearing down on the comparatively small woman with her shoulder, body-checking her at speed from her blind side.

Within the instant between her collision and the witch's inevitable recoil and rebuttal, Lorainne flashed a smug smile at her brother in arms. "Backup?? I thought you'd never ask!" she huffed, mockingly elated.

____

Jareau followed close in pursuit. He was almost close enough to make a move to cut the witch off when she made a sudden maneuver down a side street. He attempted to follow, swinging wide on the road and clipping the curb, almost causing him to wipe out. Calmly and quickly, he steadied himself on the bike, and as he began to pick up speed again, he noticed the ground before him beginning to shake and crack. An explosion of roots tore forth from the earth, forming an impassible barricade. Barely in time to avoid collision, he screeched the Destrier to a smoky halt.

With a growl, Jareau removed his helmet to listen. The sound of the other bike seemed to be continuing straight ahead. Dunking the helmet back on his head, Jareau turned the bike around to pursue an alternate route. I can intercept her by taking a parallel side street and cutting perpendicular to her path. I'll need to move quickly, but she would have certainly slowed her speed by enough of a margin after throwing up the wall -- convinced of her security from my pursuit, to a degree -- that I can meet her path up ahead. His mind ticked away in calculating thought and mathematical and geographical plotting as his bike roared down the road along his determined path.

Along his side route, Jareau realized a fault in his plans. If I come out at the merge point at the same time as her, she would just try to knock me out again. Even if she didn't I would have no way to stop her. He slowed his bike a couple of ticks, and as he approached the intersection, he rolled along to almost a stop, sticking to the shadows of the buildings. He could hear the roar of the witch's bike coming down the road, and sure enough, in a couple of seconds, she passed by his alley at only slightly less than blinding speeds. One Little Angel, two Little Angels, three Little Angels, four Little Angels--

Jareau cranked the bike's throttle and took off down the road behind her, keeping ample distance between them, but keeping her close enough to maintain visual contact.

as written by glmstr

As Lorainne barreled into the witch, her footing did not give way as well as the paladin might have expected. Instead of stumbling or falling, Arianne simply skidded several feet from the surprise tackle. She raised an eyebrow and looked down to watch her give a one liner, which did summon a chuckle from Fabre. Though, it made her pity the girl. So recklessly brave, willing to throw herself into danger to help this rat? She briefly pondered the thought, what heights could this one rise to if some of the more competent members of the Order enlisted her passion?

Instead of thinking on the topic any further, she turned to the task at hand. She shoved the paladin back just a few feet to give space, then lunged forward to drive her off-hand squarely into Lorainne's diaphragm. The impact crumpled her cuirass, multiple cracking noises coming from within. In a similar fashion to the recently constructed wall, Arianne planted her foot on the paladin's chest and pushed her off, sending her tumbling and rolling to Savien's feet.

____

"Well shit," Ylva took another turn onto a larger avenue, quickly approaching the edge of the city. The pursuer was clearly more crafty than the average cop, which required moving into her own element. She turned the throttle to accelerate the bike to as fast as it could go, the racing engine practically screaming as the witch hurtled down the street.

as written by huntsman

The sound of wings hadn't been lost over the din of music from back inside the club, nor drowned out by the sound of the muffler of the motorbike. Thane watched the bird pensively, then looked over at the brawl beneath him.

The paladin- His posture, tone and armoury all brought back memories of the law enforcement of home. This middle realm, the melting pot always surprised him, though he could barely understand them through his unfamiliarty with the tongue and their thick accents, Thane was used to thick drawls and words so quick and heavy that sentences almost sung together.

Then the wall shook from the force of the explosive shot, and the fire escape he was perched on shook violently. Thane peered down, eyed Savien and then vaulted over the railing with a grunt.

His descent was poorly controlled, but he'd hoped to catch the skelag unaware until he'd landed on the witch. If not, at least he'd broken something trying to help for once.

Back