Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Vargeras

as written by Ronin

Savien knelt beside Lorainne as she tumbled to his feet, quickly inspecting the dent in her armor.

"Goddammit Lorainne, if you're dead..." he cursed, checking to see if she was still conscious - and more importantly, whether or not the damage to her armor extended to her body. Thankfully, she seemed alright.

The paladin looked up at Arianne, jaw grit. If there were eyes beneath his visor, they were smoldering. He raised his Vigilance and readied his blade, crouching as he prepared to pounce...

It was at that moment that someone literally jumped from a nearby fire escape, attempting to land on Arianne. Whether he was successful or no, the paladin held off his advance. Where the hell had he come from?

"By Selene..." Savien swore under his breath.

as written by Peachy00Keen

Lorainne shuddered and coughed, wincing with pain as she felt her broken ribs ache and dig in to her lungs. She was lucky she hadn't punctured one. Carefully, she tested her limbs. Her legs moved, her left arm moved, her right arm-- "Damn...!" she wheezed. Agonizing pain shot coursed up her arm, almost paralyzing her with the new sensation combined with the piercing pain already in her chest. She looked at her arm. It was crooked where it should have been straight.

"Savien," she coughed, recoiling again from the sharp pain in her chest. Her next sentence came out in a rasp. "Looks like you're on your own, cowboy. I'm sorry." Her face, already contorted in pain, assumed an additional layer of embarrassment, regret, and sympathy.

She had failed. Worse, she had been knocked out of the fight before she could even lend a hand. Worst of all, she had been seriously maimed in the backlash. She could barely talk, which would make helping Jareau a chore, her dominant hand was going to be compromised and the arm would be nearly unusable for months. She would have to find a workaround. Careless, she scorned. Careless and naïve. What were you thinking, throwing yourself into the fray like that before even assessing the situation. She's much too strong for such an attack. You're lucky you aren't dead. Foolishness like that will get you killed in the future -- hell, it could get you and Jareau killed. Stupid, stupid stupid stupid...

Lorainne continued chastising herself as she tried to stand. Her first two attempts failed. With any luck, the witch would leave her alone while she attempted to right herself. If she wanted to, the witch could finish her off right now, or she could continue breaking bones one by one, playing with her prey before finally putting it out of its misery. Lorainne's stomach churned at the thought. Dizziness began to set in. Setting her jaw firm and tensing her abs, Lorainne held her breath and hauled herself to her feet through the pain. Once mostly up, she maladroitly drew her sword and used it as a crutch as she hobbled, her vision blurring, back to her bike. She barely made it to the back of the seat before collapsing, her senses overwhelmed by pain. Her sword clattered to the ground. Her body began to follow it, and as she was falling, she reached out and barely managed to grab her helmet off of the saddle. Now on the ground and fighting with every motion, Lorainne managed to ease the helmet over her head. She pressed the call button that instantly dialed Jareau, and she waited, fading further and further from consciousness with each ring.

____

The witch's bike screamed as she pushed it to the very limits of its speed. Losing pursuit, Jareau let out another gutteral growl and sent his own bike lurching down the road after her. He had to be faster. He would be faster. There was no other option. He closed the distance between them rapidly, leaving just enough space to keep on her tail while hopefully staying out of range of another surprise attack. As the witch rounded another turn, a call started coming in. Muttering to himself, he answered.

"Now is really not a good time, Lorainne..." he grumbled. "Can it wait?"

Ragged breathing came through from the other end of the call. Silence ensued for a while after. Jareau thought the call had disconnected when Lorainne finally spoke: "H-help... me..."

Jareau slowed his pursuit. "What? What happened?"

"W-witch... Hit me... B-broken... Can't move..." Her words came in strained, wheezing clusters. "B-bring aid..."

"But I'm pursuing the other witch. I can't just abandon my orders!"

"New... orders.... I'm d-down...." There was a thud on Lorainne's end of the line, followed by silence, which was finally followed by slow, moaning, ragged breaths. In her further efforts since she had taken the hit that knocked her down, she had managed to puncture a lung. Every breath she took now leaked air into her chest cavity. Without help, she might never breathe again properly.

Roaring in frustration, Jareau brought the bike to a screaming halt and wheeled around, taking off in the opposite direction he had been going. I hate being pulled between orders, but if I don't get help, I'll be resigned to a clerical position for the rest of my life. Selene forgive me for abandoning my post... His further growls and grumbles were lost in the noise of the engine as he pushed his Destrier to its limits to get to the club. Just... don't die. I'm coming.

as written by glmstr

The faint whooshing of air behind Arianne clued her in to Thane's ambush, to which she responded by simply taking a large step to the side and letting him fall flat onto the concrete. She didn't bother giving him her attention any further, much more immediately concerned with the young paladin.

"Shit," the witch skulked towards Lorainne and crouched over her, rubbing her eyes in a combination of shame and regret. She removed a cellphone from her pocket and dialed the emergency number, watching over the quickly fading paladin as the operator spoke up with the scripted prompt.

"We've got a paladin and a civilian hurt here in Vargeras, please send an ambulance. Her arm's broken pretty bad and I think her ribs are too, she's not breathing very well. I'm not quite sure of the address, but we're outside this place called La Roux if that helps. Thank you, and please hurry."

She stood up and scowled at Savien in disgust. What kind of coward let the young and bold get so gravely wounded time and time again? The witch went into the alley and drew the shape of a door on one of the walls with her finger, the section of brick shimmering and rippling like dyed mercury. The dark witch turned to the standing paladin and hissed one last remark before walking through the portal and disappearing into the night:

"You did this."

____

Ylva raised an eyebrow at the sudden disappearance of her pursuer, even stopping on the side of the road to look back and check. She waited a few minutes with curiosity, assuming that something must have come up and producing a cellphone. The druid scrolled through her contacts, a short list primarily containing other mages, particularly the Fabres, and called Arianne.

"Hello?" A familiar voice rang out through the speakers in Ylva's phone.

"Ari, did something happen? They stopped following me all the sudden."

"Yeah, things didn't go very well. I can fill you in once you get back."

"Alright, see you soon."

"Take care, Ylva."

She ended the call and put her phone away, revving up her bike and speeding away into Lornaine forest.

as written by Ronin

Savien tensed as Arianne moved forward, blade poising against her ... before he lowered it slowly. Against all expectation, the witch actually knelt at the side of his fallen comrade, checking to make sure she was alright and calling an ambulance. The bigot in Savien screamed at him to attack her, that she was casting a spell or harvesting Lorainne's eyeballs for her dark arts, but his reason held him at bay. There was concern on her face. Genuine regret. It was the strangest thing he'd seen all night - and he'd just watched a man skydive into the pavement from a fire escape.

He glared as she hissed at him. Why are we fighting? He wanted to ask, but didn't. She was gone.

The paladin knelt beside Lorainne. "It's alright, sister. Help is on the way." Arianne's call for an ambulence would likely be gratituous - Savien had called for paramedics the moment Duran was shot. Hopefully they'd be here soon.

The knight looked up and locked his eye on Thane. "You there." He called out, speaking in his native tongue. "Are you hurt? Where did you come from?"

Jareau thundered down the eerily silent side streets that wove their way through this part of town. Why did Lorainne just go silent like that? What could have happened to her? Could she truly be badly injured? His mind was a whirlwind of thought. He had left his original orders to follow a secondary order given by Lorainne. Did that make him a worse paladin? Would he be penalized for doing so? What if he had continued to follow his orders? He wouldn't want to leave her in a time of need, but it was always hard to tell over the phone. He would be upset if she had called him aside for backup on her end. She had said she could handle it on her own. She always seemed to know what she needed and how things would work out. Why would this time be any different?

His Destrier roared around one final corner and onto the road leading up to the club. In the background, he could hear sirens. That addition to the usual atmosphere of these backalley dives didn't stand out as unusual to him, but as he drew closer, he could see that things were not right.

Stone and asphalt of a nearby alleyway were charred and smelled faintly of brimstone. Savien looked pale, in spite of his usual façade of stoic control. A stranger lay spread-eagle on the asphalt, likely unconscious. Jareau didn't care too much about them, though. His attention was focused on Lorainne, who lie face-down, with her helmet on, beside her bike. Her sword lay abandoned on the street beside her and her right arm was contorted and bent in an unnatural fashion. Jareau killed the engine of his bike and hopped off almost as it was still moving. His heart raced as he tucked his helmet under his arm and walked toward Lorainne. He knelt down beside her and picked up her left wrist. She had a pulse, weak, but there. Not knowing the extent of the damage, he decided to leave her helmet on, though he tilted up her visor to check her face. It had a few light scratches on it, but, as he would realize upon further inspection of the rest of her body, her face had made away with the least amount of injury.

Jareu's blood boiled, his fists clenching and unclenching in bottled up rage. He stalked toward Savien, furious fire in his eyes.

"You!" he shouted, his accusation-laden voice boomed deafeningly in the empty alleyway. Some pigeons fled hastily from their perches on nearby rooftops. "What happened to her? Why is she hurt? How could you let this happen to your sister of the Order?" Jareau's hands balled and un-balled more rapidly now as he restrained himself from punching Savien in his perfectly-chiseled and unscathed jaw.

as written by huntsman

Thane hit the pavement hard, tucking in his elbows and rolling roughly, hands bloodied and arms grazed. Thane didn't answer, watching the witch leave, while his vision was blurry, he tried to remember the smell she left behind, and then he slumped. "Out of town." He replied, standing groggily, a stream of crimson running down the side of his head. Falling, falling he was good at. "Do you have time for this?"

"Your prey got away." Thane said, looking over at Jareu, then turning around with a grunt.

as written by Script

More footsteps, then. The raven from the streetlamp was gone, and from the shadows at the far end of the alley emerged a young man dressed in black. It was hard to make out much of his face in the dark, but what could be seen of his features would have marked him as youthful, were it not for a strange sense of timelessness about him that was difficult to pinpoint. His eyes, despite being shaded further by a low black fringe, were a startlingly bright crimson.

"Tsk," he tutted, surveying the scene before him. His voice was laced with thinly veiled contempt. "A sorry sight indeed. Bickering and snapping at each other, chasing witches through the streets like hounds chasing after a bone..."

His steps carried him closer, though he stopped a few paces away, far enough to avoid alarm. Up close, more details of his appearance were visible. His features were finely sculpted, with a touch of androgyny to them, and his skin was pale and blemish free. His leather jacket was decorated with a distinctive collar of black feathers, and upon one hand he wore what looked to be a signet ring, bearing the symbol of a raven.

"She won't die," he offered to Jareau, rolling his eyes. "So you can cease your senseless yapping. I might have hoped a soldier would be familiar with the potential for injuries on the field of battle, but perhaps my expectations were too high. Tell me, paladin," here his eyes fell on Savien, "why do you waste your time pursuing the ghost of a witch? 'twould be a fruitless pursuit at the best of times, but nary more so than whilst your true enemy gathers power undisturbed."

as written by Ronin

Savien breathed a sigh of relief as Jareau rolled onto the scene. Having another paladin by his side in a place like this was an enormous comfort, especially with Lorainne down. Contrary to his expectations of aid, the paladin began to berate him, seemingly furious that Lorainne had suffered injuries. Was he being serious? Yes, it seemed he was. A young knight. Probably stricken with fear at the prospect of losing his partner. Savien would go easy on him.

"She made a mistake," he replied, "be thankful she's alive. I am." Then, a low growl. "...and drop the attitude. We don't have the time and I don't have the patience."

He turned back to Thane. "Wait, stay." He saw the his skinned arms and hands, the blood trailing the side of his head. "You're hurt. An ambulance will be here soon. I want to speak with you."

Finally, Savien directed his attention to the newcomer. The fine leather jacket and feather-lined collar threw him, the paladin suspecting he might be one of the fled club patrons. "Citizen, go back-"

"...but nary more so than whilst your true enemy gathers power undisturbed."

Savien froze. His hand dropped to the Lawkeeper holstered at his hip.

"Who the hell are you?"

as written by huntsman

Thane shook his head, giving the finely dressed boy a once over before glancing back down the alley. "I am not a citizen of this realm." Thane replued, sniffing the air lightly and snapping his head towards the stranger and crossing himself, a three pointed triangle. "Sepka"

Jareau's mind whirled. Too many people were talking at once. A stranger had intervened, Lorainne had been hurt, Savien was being Savien, and now another unnamed figure had dropped in on the scene. He decided to address them one by one.

First, he addressed Savien: "Her only mistake was splitting off to join you. She appears to have taken all of the hits for you. I could have gone in her place and likely fared better." He stopped abruptly, unable to move past the rage he felt for Savien's apparent carelessness. There was no logic left to follow.

He turned instead to the scraped character on the pavement: "And you -- Who even are you? You are not a member of the Order, and you are not with the police, so why do you interfere? You act outside of your jurisdiction and confound the issues already at hand. Remove yourself from this situation. Carry on with your civilian duties and stay out of the way of the law."

Jareau turned again to regard the new figure. "Based on Savien's reaction, I am to assume you were not present for whatever happened here. If that is the case, move along and give wide breadth to the injured woman. If you were present for the altercation, you are bound as a witness to share truthfully any information you have on what happened here. It sounds like you know more about the larger situation at hand than you are letting on."

Without directing his words at anyone in particular, Jareau produced a phone from his pocket and asked as he began dialing, "has anyone at least called the paramedics?" Moving on immediately to Lorainne's side as he contacted emergency medical services, Jareau knelt down and began carefully unfastening her breastplate, which was undoubtedly hindering her ability to breathe clearly. "Just hang on, Lorainne. Help will be here soon. They will make sure you are going to be all right."

as written by huntsman

Thane raised a brow. "You'd know your prey did if you weren't late to the hunt." Thane replied, rolling a shoulder and beginning to jog away.

as written by Script

The figure dressed in black entirely blanked Jareau after the first few seconds of speaking, as though dismissing his input as entirely worthless. He started to speak before the other paladin had even finished, voice carrying over his despite him exerting no visible effort in raising it. "Who I am isn't important, o' knight of the wick," he stated, meeting Savien's gaze coolly.

"Suffice to say that I am not, in fact, your enemy. I merely come to pass a warning to you, of that which your church would rather ignore. You know as well as I that one of winter's living children has begun to make his move. And yet, you have time to waste on... what, some foolish girls playing with black magic? 'tis hardly unusual in this fair city, is it? Let fools do as fools will, for if you waste your time with them, soon it will be too late to stop the gathering storm."

He stepped a few paces, eyes turned skyward where on the edges of the buildings, crows and ravens were gathering en masse. "Heed my words, Sir Durandet. For soon the carrion call will come not just for you, but for this city. They will come for the corpse that He leaves behind. There can be no half measures."

He looked back, and offered them a low, flourishing bow. "Goodnight, and goodbye. May the flame of your wick offer you some small comfort in the days that are to follow."

Then he turned, and stepped once more into the shadows. His form seemed to meld away into them, until nothing was left but the final echo of his voice.

"For make no mistake. Winter is coming."

as written by Ronin

"Wait, don't-" Savien moved to intercept the stranger, but it was too late. The raven man disappeared into the shadows as quickly and quietly as he'd come. Teleported, no doubt. Goddamn magic users and their cryptic warnings. All of them seemed to have their own agendas and none of them were keen on being upfront about it.

But what little the knight had gleamed from the sorcerer's message was unsettling. What did he know about the Caers? Was he working against them? It certainly seemed so. He'd also invoked the name of the Wick...

The paladin shook his head and dismissed his questions for the time being. Too much was going on to dwell on it. Besides, something told Savien he'd see him again.

A moment later, two ambulances arrived on scene. The paramedics swiftly tended to Lorainne, helping her onto a gurney. Savien looked for Thane, but the stranger was already jogging away. Damn. He supposed he couldn't compel him to stay, but the paladin had wished to have a few words with him. Doubtless Jareau had something to do with that. Savien would have words with him later - ordering a wounded person to vacate the premise was not honorable behavior.

"Take her to the Monastery," Savien instructed the paramedics. She'd be in better hands with clerical doctors, especially if they had to remove her armor without injuring her.

As the paramedics lifted Lorainne onto a gurney and loaded her into the back of an ambulance, Jareau looked on in anxious anticipation. One of the paramedics came up to him and gently asked him to step back.

"I need to be with her," he insisted.

The paramedic laid a firm but reassuring hand on Jareau's shoulder; "You can meet her at the Monastery, friend. We can assure that she is tended to until then. There will already be one motorcycle to move to a new location," she glanced over at the pair's Destriers parked nearby, "and having to transport another will only make things more difficult for everybody." Seeing the unfaltering resolve set in his features, the paramedic sighed. "If it would comfort you further, you may follow the ambulance so that you arrive as near to the same time as we do. Beyond that, I'm afraid there isn't much we can offer."

Jareau let out a grunt and nodded in understanding. He stepped aside then to let the paramedics do their job unimpeded. One matter addressed, he turned back to Savien with a glower now cast over his visage. Stalking over to the other paladin with his index finger extended, he began in a sharply accusatory tone: "I would just like to be perfectly clear, brother," he said condescendingly, jabbing his outstretched finger into the center of the other man's chest, "if Lorainne is injured to the point where she and I must abandon our current investigation, know without doubt that we will not be rushing to your aid again anytime soon." With that, Jareau turned on one heel and strode over to his motorcycle. Before mounting the large bike, he tapped the shoulder of another paramedic.

"Have arrangements been made to return her Destrier to the Monastery already, or is that something I will have to see to later?" he asked, his voice firmer than it needed to be.

This paramedic, a scrawny young man, recoiled slightly at Jareu's abrasive demeanor. "As far as I know, Sir, nobody has arranged for the bike to be transported, Sir. We cannot take it with us as the ambulances," he gestured with a shaky hand, "are not fit to carry other vehicles. Will, uh, there be anything else, Sir?"

"No," he stated curtly, turning promptly back to regard Savien. "Brother in arms, I ask you to stay here and keep a vigilant eye on our sister's motorcycle. I am heading back to the Monastery to have someone come retrieve it. Stay by it in the meantime to be sure no one tampers with it in any way."

Jareau finally swung one leg over the seat of his own motorcycle, started the engine, and headed off down the road in a cloud of dust and a small spray of gravel. As soon as he arrived at the Monastery, he would have someone dispatched to retrieve her bike and bring it back to the safe confines of their home.

The fucking thing had stopped groaning around the third hour, instead lay spread open in the position in which she'd nailed it to the dilapidated rooftop, spread wide and stripped down for all and sundry to see. She'd sat above its head, sharpening two knives that glinted and gleamed - dusted silver in the moonlight - as it had begged for its life through jaws that weren't designed to facilitate speech. She'd enjoyed that part - the begging, the bargaining, the will to see the next night.

She hated what came next, the repetition of the word 'please' so garbled that it didn't sound like a word anymore. The moaning that turned to gurgling that turned to groaning, fading keening wails, sharp, quick breaths. The whimpering really set her teeth on edge, kept them sharp.

She ate an apple, sliced it with her newly minted silver blades, while the big wolf stopped making noise, just breathed, sobbed, whispered to himself. The breaths turned to slow rattles as the silver made its way through his bloodstream, the IV in his foot doing the work as he quaked, shivered.

When dawn broke, the big wolf was dead. Normally, she'd slit their throat and wrists, finish it off quicker, as she had places to be. But this one had cut her - a gash on her thigh - and she needed to see him suffer properly, without mercy.

Harriet watched the life drain from him, and left the rooftop, tossing the apple core at his torso.

(As written by Script, Sentry and Knosis)

Felix couldn't have called Rowan's phone any more frantically. He was hiding like a child in an alley as far away from Jason as he could get in a panic.

"Pick up... shit... Rowan!" he stuttered.

Rowan peeked one blue hue towards the table in which his cellphone buzzed, silently debating whether or not he was going to be lazy and not get up to answer it. With a sigh and a groan, he slowly stood up from his plush chair where he had been napping, snapping the phone open with an audible click.

"What is it." He answered.

"Rowan!" screamed Felix into the phone. "Jason's gone berserk! I need help!"

A dark cloud seem to form over Rowan, his blue eyes glowing brightly. This was not good. This was not good at all.

"Where." Rowan demanded, pinning the phone between his shoulder and his head as he started to unbutton his dress shirt. He started for the door, opening it to the main room. As he emerged, Rachelle looked up from her phone, quirking an eyebrow at what was clearly him preparing to shift. She got to her feet, ready to follow if she was needed.

"The warehouse in Cascastel! You have to get here, boss! I don't want to get hurt again! You're the only one that can bring him back!"

"Keep an eye on him." Rowan demanded, snapping the phone shut. He turned and saw Rachelle and pulled off his shirt.

"You're coming with me. Jason's shifted."

And that's all he left it as. Soon Rowan was pulling his pants off and heading towards the door. As soon as he was outside, black fur started sprouting from his bare skin and he folded over, his wolf form taking over.

A silent nod was the only answer Rachelle gave, shedding her own clothes without a second thought to join Rowan in the shift. It wasn't long before her own lithe, brown-furred wolf form joined her alpha's, ready to follow where he led.

The large wolf shook after he finally finished shifting, a throaty growl rumbling from his chest. The next moment, he lept into a full run towards Cascastel, not waiting to see if Rachelle was keeping up.

Though Rowan's form was larger, and his strides longer, Rachelle was able to match his pace with some exertion. Her lighter form made her nimble, compensating for what she lacked in power. Their run through the streets of Vargeras startled a number of pedestrians on their way through the low evening light, and cut off more than one car. But a pair of running wolves was nothing out of the ordinary for this part of the city, and those few that knew enough to recognise the Scions' alpha knew better than to interfere in his business. It wouldn't be long before they were closing on Terrier Street.

By the time they had, however, the confrontation in the warehouse had drawn to a close, with Jason fleeing into the night. Felix had likely heard the crashing of the warehouse wall being turned to rubble, and the retreating roars of his packmate. The culprit still raged within the building, beginning to bring it down around him, but Jason's flight was quickly carrying him away into the city.

(As written by Script, Sentry, and Knosis)

Rowan arrived panting, having not stopped the entire time. He could hear the angry beast inside, but knew it wasn't Jason. He would have to deal with whatever 'it' was later.

The black wolf circled the warehouse, looking to see if Felix was hiding on the outside, until he came by the hole in the side of the warehouse, Jason's scent heading away from it.

The giant wolf stopped, taking a deep breath, raised his large black head and released a guttural howl into the night. It most likely wouldn't signal Jason, but Felix would either come out of hiding or let him know where he was. He didn't wait further. The giant wolf took off once again, following the scent trail Jason left behind, heading towards the city.

As soon as he heard the sound, Felix came sprinting from his alley, shifting as swiftly as he could to keep up with Rowan. His form was hardly more than a large dog, but he was always known as the swift one. In a matter of seconds, he caught up with Rowan, growling in recognition.

Jason's trail was anything but difficult to follow. It seemed that the rampaging werewolf had little regard for any obstacle so minor as walls, cars or buildings, and had charged headlong through several of each in his flight, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. By the time the other Scions caught up with him, they'd crossed into Fontainebleu.

The hulking beast that was Jason had come to a panting halt in the road, the adrenaline that had fueled his mindless rampage beginning to dwindle. His eyes were burning with an intense ruby light, and unnaturally vibrant blood dripped from a partially healed wound in his side to sizzle angrily on the concrete. That the wound was unhealed told of how much punishment Jason had taken in his brawl. His body simply hadn't the energy left to keep patching him up.

At Rowan and the others' approach, he rounded on them with a snarl, rearing up to his full height - over ten feet by a notable margin. There was no immediate recognition in his eyes, but it was clear that there was little bite remaining behind the posturing. Even as he rose, there was hesitation as the wound was agitated by the motion, and his oversized maw curled into a pained grimace.

Rowan stopped just short of Jason's hulking form, raising his head and tail in full alert. A low, blood curdling growl rumbled from the wolf's chest, demanding Jason to back down and show submission. Every hair on his body was standing to end. He was not as big as Jason, but there were few that even dared to stand in Jason's path as he's shifted. And Rowan was one of them.

Rowan knew Jason didn't have much fight in him. He was tired and badly wounded to boot, but Rowan also knew how unpredicable he could be in this state.

At Rowan's heel, Rachelle kept her distance, ready to offer support if needed. There was little she could do to even slow Jason down under most circumstances, but if necessary, she could at least distract him.

Jason gave a defensive snarl at Rowan's approach, tossing his head defiantly and flexing his claws. He stared down the Scion alpha without fear, despite his wounded state, maw twitching as though ready to lunge at any moment. But Rowan's scent had found his nose, and it gave him pause, filtering slowly through into the conscious part of his brain. It kept him at bay, though it had yet to reach him enough to bring him under control.

But there would be no need for that, tonight. As the adrenaline continued to fade from him, Jason's knees buckled, and he went down like a ton of bricks. As he did, his body began to shrink and contort itself back into his human form, and after a short while, the wolf had retreated fully. Jason was left passed out in the road with four still-healing gouges in his side from the final wound Nox had inflicted on him, and pale from blood loss.

As soon as Rowan saw Jason fall, he began to shift back as well. He walked to his side, his glowing blue hues studying over the wounds that were slowly healing. He had taken a beating. What in hell could have done this?

"Get me something to stop the blood for now." Rowan barked at the Felix. He would get his answers, but for now, he needed to make sure Jason didn't keel over first.

As Felix turned, he ripped off the patches of clothing he hadn't bothered to remove when he was turning before. He skidded toward Jason and clumped the clothing in his hands. "This'll work for now. It's all I got," he told Rowan.

Rowan took the shirt, ripping it in half as best he could manage, followed by Felix's pants in half as well. He took what he could and shoved the bundles onto two of the wounds and held pressure. "Felix, hold pressure on the other two as best you can. We need to make sure he doesn't bleed out before his body can regenerate." He grumbled. His mind was spinning.

"Rachelle, get us transportation. I don't care how, just make it quick."

"Felix, while we're here holding your friend's guts in place, what the fuck happened?" He growled.

"On it," Rachelle replied, having shifted back while the others were moving to tend to Jason's wounds. She darted off down the street, and ducked into the first open building: a kebab shop with a teenager behind the counter who practically went bug-eyed as the naked woman ran in and made a beeline for the shop's phone, barking at him to stay where he was.

Felix's hands shook as he pressed onto the wound. "There was this... guy. This fucking giant. Called himself... Caerulium... something, the name was long as shit. Came into the warehouse when we were fighting some other guys... it was a goddamn mess! I didn't think anyone could do this kind of damage to Jason! it was just... fuck, just brutal. I've never seen anything like it!"

The very hairs on Rowan's neck and arms stood on end as the realization of the name Felix had uttered. Something feral seemed to rise up in him, something long forgotten. For the briefest of seconds, the thing rose up to his expression, the slightest change in his eyes. And in that same instant, it was gone again. At least, in front of his men. His eyes were glowing brightly as he kept his eyes focused on Felix.

Calmly, his next words were eerily smooth, the rage in his voice but a trace of its former self. "What did he want?"

It was a somewhat subtle shift in architecture and the air around them that signaled they were heading into the Vargeras district. The wet, stone smell was ever present, but among the earthy tones was a sharper almost acidic smell coming from further inside the more lived in district. Business were far less careless about their wastes, and people far more inebriated finding ways to relieve themselves where they shouldn't, even if there were pissoirs about, though the fixtures helped. Thankfully the residential aspect was more akin to their upper class counter parts, save for far less maintenance and far more apartments over actual homes.

"Well for you Tabby I'd keep my cat flap open," he remarked with a flirtatious bent that was partly ruined by a small chuckle that wormed its way past his lips as he laughed at himself for making the stupid cat burglar joke in the first place.

Their path diverged from the thoroughfare they were currently on, which by the neon lights in the distance signaled the night life of the district, and onto a more residential street that was lined with flats and houses on either side. The only lights here were those on the street corners and a few from the windows, all often dim and yellow.

"My flat's coming up in a couple blocks," he remarked as the street sign caught his eye and he mentally noted where he was. "What's it like, where you live, I don't get many packages coming or going through that section of town."

Seri wrinkled his nose slightly as they passed into Vargeras, his sensitive senses picking up the more pungent odours of the night keenly. It didn't really phase him - after all, he'd lived in the Phantom Quarter for a good ten years. He was surprised he still had a nose. "For your information, I'm a stylish black," he retorted to Antoine's remark, flicking his hair in mock-haughtiness. "Guess that means I'm bad luck, though. You oughta watch yourself." The werecat gave a sly smile, flashing sharp incisors that were ever-so-slightly larger than average. "After all, we've already discussed how shady a character I am. Letting me into your home's got to be a bad idea."

His eyes wandered as Antoine asked him about his home. If it could be called that. He gave a slight shrug. "It's probably for a good reason. I'm smack in the middle of pack central. Now, anyway. Was in the Phantom Quarter till a couple months back, on and off." Seri left the statement at that. He wasn't looking for sympathy, and being a slum-dweller held enough implications that it required no further embellishment. "It's not so bad, I guess. The Bloodstones are decent, for a bunch of mutts. Kind of dicey lately, though. Pack war's brewing, if you hadn't guessed from the fights that've already happened."

And I've somehow ended smack bang in the middle of it, he thought to himself. Good job, me.

The familiarity of the neighborhood brought an almost visible ease to the young man. Even subconsciously he knew he was in friendly territory and could let his guard down somewhat at least. There were still dangers everywhere in Lutetia, but being in a familiar location meant the home turf advantage. Thankfully for Antoine he was far more familiar with a larger swath of the city then most. Though he got the distinct feeling that Seri might be even more street wise than he was.

"That's good," he replied somewhat mindlessly before clarifying his statement a bit more, "that you're not out there anymore." He bit his tongue as best he could when the topic of werewolf packs were brought up lest he quip about dogs and cats being mortal enemies.

"Hopefully things won't get too bad, there's enough no-go zones for me to worry about when delivering and picking up packages," he added, chuckling lightly with a nervous undertone at the thought of violence spilling over.

They turned one last corner before arriving at a tightly packed street barely big enough for two horses to pass by, let alone a full sized automobile. The side walk disappeared had disappeared a block back, and the pair had been left to walk through gutters and over cobble stone streets where the pavement had either been eroded away or simply never laid out.

"Hey, you got a phone," he asked out of the blue as his thoughts wandered while they neared the end of Antoine's journey.

Back