People can trade NG. It was very strongly hinted at. And given they can trade them, the rest only follows.
That gives me the premise of my character. This would be the first time, again, that I'd be playing a character of this type.
I am experimenting with unique characters that train me to write about distinct personality traits.

Sorry everyone, I literally haven't been getting Alerts. I will answer all questions very soon

Question. NGs serve as a form of currency, but it is attached to your finger (?)
How are NGs stored?
So if you have gained multiple NGs, and someone were to kill you, how do the all your kills in the form of NGs transfer to them?

The NG is the proximal phalange of the ring finger of your left hand (google if needed). Literally a bone you have to get off the hand of a corpse however you can.

They are stored however you can store them or anything else for that matter. Pockets, a bag, whatever. If you kill someone with a bunch of NGs, you get them.

There is no kill counter and no score. Nothing transfers except physical goods from one dead body to one living one.

Oh, I like the sound of this. A lot. what sort of infractions do you need to wrack up to end up in a place like that?

That gives me the premise of my character. This would be the first time, again, that I'd be playing a character of this type.
I am experimenting with unique characters that train me to write about distinct personality traits.
Character creation will be unique. You will not already be established in this world, so hold off on creation until I give the word. I also plan to create a mechanic around the 'murder encounters' that will give them more significance that 'I see someone and I kill them.'

I think everyone has an NG on them, but they need to be dead for the NG to activate. Hence, you have too kill someone to take the NG from them.
From then on out, I think they're just keys for opening the boxes, stored like any physical object would be, transferred like any physical object would be.
Personally, I would just call them Knuckle bones, or Knuckle bone keys.
I call them NG because it's a bastardized version of phalange. Just kind of a colloquialism in the City

Hey everyone. I'm updating info on the second and third posts, so check back on those every now and again to see what I've added

Character creation will be unique. You will not already be established in this world, so hold off on creation until I give the word. I also plan to create a mechanic around the 'murder encounters' that will give them more significance that 'I see someone and I kill them.'
Hm I'm guessing backstory is out of the question. I was just brainstorming ideas for personality and techniques :3

Hm I'm guessing backstory is out of the question. I was just brainstorming ideas for personality and techniques :3

No one will have a backstory. You will all be new arrivals call 'newbloods.' You won't have any memory of your former life or why you're here. It's a fish-out-of-water RP. The character creation stuff is coming. I'm just really busy at work. It's coming tonight, though.

Check out my beginning posts, new info has been added. Next I will work on character creation stuff and the 6 Sides of Murder mechanic I plan to use for 'Murder Encounters.'

I've decide that we're going to keep our characters hidden. PM them to me when they're complete. I'll add them to the Accepted Characters tab.

I've decided to do this because I think it'll give you guys a more 'fish out of water' experience. You'll be literally in the dark. I think it will add to the experience considerably. I got the inspiration from @Caboosethemoose's RP, The Quest (which I am excited to be participating in).

Add a quote to your character, 1 or 2 sentences long, that vaguely sums ups their personality. I'll add it to the Accepted Characters tab so people can get a vague impression of your character.

I've been analyzing this RP a lot more recently. I think the most efficient way for this RP to be executed if the GM, @Gattletowne, has specific control of every character that the players are interacting with. That being said, this is very much oriented to a survival video game, with a whole lot more possibilities. Your mental and physical status are vital in your performance against other AIs, and the Dice Roll should factor that in. IE:

1. You have been previously injured, and you fight someone. Even if you roll a 6, there should be proper consideration on the strengths and weaknesses of the character itself, and the degree of the injury.

And this works the opposite way as well.

2. You are in healthy condition and you roll a 1 or a 2. My rationale is that the GM should consider bending the dice curve to make the situation fit the circumstances.

This story is very real world scenario. Anything could happen, and killing NPCs are much more different than in other RPs, where characters are heroes that have a clear cut advantage over other characters. These people could be stronger or in a better condition than your character, so be weary that godmodding makes things incredibly unrealistic.

To @Gattletowne specifically, by how this works, you would have a lot of work on your hands, but I think it would improve the RP's plotbuilding a lot. Really, we should have a chat of some sort (I'm a huge advocate for Discord) to log information and quickly allow cross communication. But then again, its you behind the driving wheel. ;)

--Edit--
Your time whilst not interacting with players/NPCs shouldn't be 100% sparkly clean. It's okay to add in some screw ups, even if it would effect your player's performance.

Murder City Roleplay Example

In this scene we have two PCs coming across a supply box, but neither have NG.

PC 1
Simon quietly slivered up against the cool wall and froze. He held his breath and closed his eyes. Almost meditative, he scanned the immediate area with his ears. There's no one around, for now. This might be their chance. Simon ducked his head around the edge of the corner, careful to stick to the blackness that cloaked the street. There it was. He'd recognize that faint, emerald glow anywhere. It was chained to a table in what looked like an old, wooden tool shed. A supply box!

PC 2
“Holy shit Simon!” Jarrel said as he let out a relieved wind, “I haven't eaten in two days. We got no NG, though.”

Jarrel hadn't eaten in forever. It was really beginning to affect his moods and how he interacted with his clan-mates. He had to stop himself from cutting Simon's throat in his sleep on the night before last. Just to get that finger. But the blood would've drawn attention. Can't spend NG if you're dead.

{PC 2 sends a PM to the GM}

PC2: I want a Murder Encounter so I can get an NG for this box.

GM: Cool. Let me get your result. 5. Damned Good. Superficial Injury. Want PC1 involved in the Encounter?

PC2: Sure, we'll add them to the Convo

PC1: So I'm in this too?

GM: Yeah. You guys can do the two is better than one thing if you want. But here's the setup. While you two are excited about this box and off a ways trying to figure out your next move, a solitary girl who doesn't see you sneaks up on the shed and you guys notice.

PC1: Cool. We could flank her. One go up front and get her talking, and the other comes in from behind or whatever.

PC2: I like that. I'm coming from behind since this is my ME.

PC1: Ok. I'll post first and start talking to her and then you post second and take her out.

PC2: I got a 5 so its not perfect. What kind of superficial wounds do we get?

GM: As Jarrel is sneaking up from behind, Simon's eyes flick to him. The girl knows she's in trouble. Jarrel see's her moving forward toward Simon so he pushes her hard in the back to off-balance her. She manages to claw her hand Kung-Fu style and scratch Simon across the face just as he pulls his hunting knife in time to put it in the girl's heart. Simon has two bleeding, red slashes on his cheek and under his eye. No one heard you, you'll be safe to open the box.

Unless you want her clothes, she has nothing of value except a rusty machete.

PC2: That's a cool idea. You're so awesome GM!

PC1: I like it too. GM of the year nominated!

GM: No, no you guys. It's all you, really. Don't forget the info you need at the top of your Murder Encounter posts.

PC1 and PC2 then write out their posts and make their characters look cool while staying in the frame that was set up PM. At the top of each post will be (in boldface): Murder Encounter and Character's name.

Then the RP progresses as usual.

Last edited:
Also, I'm going to include a part of a PM I was having with one of our participants that gives my justification for using the 6 Sides of Death Mechanic:

So I realize by introducing this mechanic the RP is getting 'gameified.' I'm still leaving this thing narrative focused, so I'm just trying to add an element of chance and consequence without getting super invested in game systems and getting 'statsy.' If I make a tweak to allow for 'my character is going to behave like so,' then I'm heading down the road of making this RP more complicated than I want it to be. Before you know it, I'll be attaching a google doc that runs down all the systems in play. And I will, too. I like systems and game design. So I want to limit that stuff.

The 6 Sides of Murder thing is just to give context to a scene in which there are stakes. You can write the scene all well thought out and your PC is doing all these badass, well-timed things. Then I roll a 2. Not a good result for your guy. That doesn't mean he was incompetent the whole way. It was that last fatal mistake after a perfectly executed plan, or that one unforeseen element that you couldn't have anticipated. Chance. The Unexpected.

Once you decide you want a Murder Encounter, we get the die rolls out of the way in PM. We figure out how you did, and any other contextual info I tell you or we mutually decide on for an interesting story opportunity. Then, once the frame is completed, the scene is yours to describe how you wish. It's just a predetermined outcome. It's up to you to get your character there. Whatever the mistake is made, however badass you want your character to look, it's up to you. You are the performer of the scene, RP the shit out of it. Mistakes are often the best storytellers.

In this way all PCs in the RP have a more or less level playing field to acquire resources. No one has the advantage over the other.

I want to emphasize that this is still a non-combat RP. This mechanic is for context, flavor, and a sense stakes only. It is a tool for RP enhancement and to generate situations that could become potentially interesting RP opportunities. Players will not have to remember how to do anything including rolling the dice. I will deal with all that. All you need to bring to the table is your creativity.

I've been analyzing this RP a lot more recently. I think the most efficient way for this RP to be executed if the GM, @Gattletowne, has specific control of every character that the players are interacting with. That being said, this is very much oriented to a survival video game, with a whole lot more possibilities. Your mental and physical status are vital in your performance against other AIs, and the Dice Roll should factor that in. IE:

1. You have been previously injured, and you fight someone. Even if you roll a 6, there should be proper consideration on the strengths and weaknesses of the character itself, and the degree of the injury.

And this works the opposite way as well.

2. You are in healthy condition and you roll a 1 or a 2. My rationale is that the GM should consider bending the dice curve to make the situation fit the circumstances.

This story is very real world scenario. Anything could happen, and killing NPCs are much more different than in other RPs, where characters are heroes that have a clear cut advantage over other characters. These people could be stronger or in a better condition than your character, so be weary that godmodding makes things incredibly unrealistic.

To @Gattletowne specifically, by how this works, you would have a lot of work on your hands, but I think it would improve the RP's plotbuilding a lot. Really, we should have a chat of some sort (I'm a huge advocate for Discord) to log information and quickly allow cross communication. But then again, its you behind the driving wheel. ;)

--Edit--
Your time whilst not interacting with players/NPCs shouldn't be 100% sparkly clean. It's okay to add in some screw ups, even if it would effect your player's performance.
Very astute observation my friend. I'm adding a few other features like how difficult opponents can be and the rewards of defeating stronger and weaker foes. Again this will only be for RP purposes, but I think it will enhance the experience.

Back