Maeriel

Benefactor
images

This is the OOC Thread for the Fantasy Free Form Cooperative Game "The Bonds That Tie Us". Feel free to post ideas, chat, pitch characters/plots/NPCs or apply to the game. I'll be updating it as we build the world (and I find the time >.<). To have a better view of the characters/players, visit our Character Thread.

Current Recruitment Status: Dependent on Consensus

Current Storyline Locations:
Main: Just outside Braedon, Lorr
Alfhild: Border of Lorr and Nordholm

General Setting:

The continent of Yrmant, in a world called Aramont. A long time ago, a conquering, viking/barbarian like people took over part of the frozen north, battling Elves to the west kingdom of Kherandor and the southern inhabiting Humans of Lorr, annexing their lands into a large territory. They are called Nords by the people of Yrmant because of dubbing their lands Nordholm, but call themselves the Fenrir. United under one war leader, the Nords were too strong to fight off, taller and more physically impressive than all other races, and the Kherandori and Lorrites did not unite their efforts for past grievances, especially over magic. The Dwarves to the eastern mountain ranges of Duras did not care about the surface politics and were too busy with the orcs and goblins rising underground. On a stalemate, the borders remained as they were and the war grew cold.

Time passed. The Durasin Dwarves managed a victorious hold of the mountains, the orcs and goblins were driven out. They came upon a divided north, the lack of an actual war drove the Nords into warring clans once more. In that state, they were slowly conquered by the orcs clan by clan, without aid from the south (which in fact did what they could to get in their way and recover some of their lands in the process). The Elves were too busy fighting the orcs and other problems themselves. The Nords became fully enslaved by the organised though brutal orcs and those who managed to stay free are hunted to death and band together as outlaws in the hopes of one day driving the orcs back, though their numbers are too few in comparison to the greenskins. The orcs having found their seat of power through their Witch King Kolrak, began sending forays into all other territories, including again the dwarven underground halls, but their attention is still not fully focused on such, because of slave uprisings and outlaw raids.

The Nords have no magic, they are far superior physically and have always counted on their strength, but they do have a few shamans, medicine men and women who receive visions from their revered ancestors and perform rituals to grant boons, such as luck, wisdom, fertility, knowing much of the land and able to create potions and talismans of some strange power. The Lorrites are a more traditional kind of medieval kingdom, their magic highly controlled and legislated, all mages marked for permits to use their magic. Rogue spellcasters are hunted and regarded with suspicion and fear, imprisoned in their dreaded Mage Towers. Elves are more free about their magic, coming from three different roots: arcane, divine and nature. But the numbers of the ones who can actually cast magic have been decreasing over millennia and are these days considered rare and guarded by traditional guards at all times.

1. The way I see it their main defence against the Magical arts is talismans created through with alchemical processes derived from magical experimentation. For example:

- Amulet that creates a shield that absorbs Magical force damage to a certain limit.
- Ring that glows when Magic is cast nearby
- Collar that grows dangerously hot when Magic is cast by the person wearing it, burning flesh of those foolish enough to use magic when wearing it;
- Helmet that absorbs magical force, stores it and mirrors its effect for a limited time.

I wouldn't see it as something every Mage Hunter has and most are just soldiers and hunters in service of the Mage Hunters, the detection rings would be the most common ones. The talismans also aren't fool proof and can malfunction or get overloaded when strong enough magic is involved. All of these talismans would be inert until Magic fuels it.

2. Mental conditioning would be the main defense against mind altering effects, but not every run of the mill hunter has a mental fortress especially in the larger city of Braedon where allot of Mage Hunters are just thugs.

3.All mage Hunters are schooled as much as possible in knowledge of existing magic and how to recognise it.

4. Most are trained in tracking, investigation and know a thing or two about knots or means to incapacitate victims.

Jodall, God of Entropy and Destruction & Itia, Goddess of Order and Creation

Two Creator Gods credited with the creation of everything, Primal deities unconcerned with the lives of Mortals and locked in eternal conflict that reaches beyond time and reality itself. These are the human identities given by humans of the region to similar deities that exist in the pantheon of the other races, leading some theologists to believe that these two deities are primal forces recognised by all the races in some form or fashion. They either do not care or concern themselves with mortal affairs and are all but deaf to their pleas.

Aznir & Kelesis

Two deities are recognised by the human realms, twins and children of the creator gods and those deities believed to concern themselves with mortal (human) matters. Theologists and clerics claim to receive gifts from their devotion to Aznir though arcanists will attribute this to simply a different way of shaping magic that depends more on willpower rather then intellect.

Aznir, The Lawmaker, The Vigilant, The Lightbringer

A god that claims domain over social order and law, Aznir believes everything and everyone has a place in life that must be accepted and honoured. He protects those who are his charge and looks down upon agents of chaos and those who practice magic as they disrupt the order of reality. Followers of Aznir believe in a way of life, respect the law and tend to be very community minded.

Kelesis, The Unbound, The Rebel, The Sorceress

The Goddess is generally credited with the realm of chaos, passion and Magic. Luck, good or bad is often seen as her doing. Kelesis, or those that preach in her name even though their is no organised religion, believe in complete freedom from not only law and order but morality as well. Be true to yourself and no other, create the life you wish and nothing else. Follow your passions and surrender to your impulses. Kelesis is said to have brought magic into the world to disrupt the rigid laws of creation that held sway.

So follows an excerpt of the original script of Nords: A Culture of Clans and Faith, not Barbarians by Tristan Gran, as saved by Kad

Chapter 3: Nordic Religion: Sehnsucht

I will again preface this chapter with a few notes as to how my life and research is going with the Nords. Their culture and rituals continue to astound, almost as much as their constant need for warfare. If they were not so allowing to me and many of those who they claim as thralls, a subject I will address in later chapters, I would think them as brutal as Orcs. Of course, Orcs themselves may well be just as misunderstood as our Nordic brethren, as I’m sure that we share some sort of common ancestry, despite our physical and temperamental differences.

The Nords continue to do nightly searches of my one-room home. It is regrettable that they still do not trust me, despite the months I’ve been with them. However, I am more than amicable with them and do not resist as it seems to help me remain in their good graces. I suppose they must still think me a spy, but as I continue to pose no threat and have little, well, muscle or magic, they deem me no threat. Beyond the few that tolerate my questions, many of the Nords ignore me. Once I found this to be rather off-putting, but now I’ve come to realize that the Nords think I haven’t done anything of note to them. Perhaps, if this book has the intended effect with my people back in Lorr, then I will be of note. Until then, I write and help as I can.

Introduction:

Nords are quite the spiritual people, more so than even the Elves, I think. This is due, I believe, to a relative lack of the true industry that is seen in our Human settlements, but Nordic economy will be for another chapter. They rely upon powerful shamans to orally pass down traditions and teachings, and have very little written works. These shamans have an almost magical quality to them as they claim to commune with the Nords ancestors, Gods, and even nature spirits, but don’t seem to have the true spark of what we Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and even Orcs would call magic. However, there is no denying the power of listening to a Nordic ritual with the shaman, or shamans, chanting in their medicine yurt with the clan adding its own voice to the chanting. I say listen, because the Nords have yet to allow me to spectate a ritual and I dare not risk their ire by trying to peek in. I hope I may get a chance to see one, before I go, but I must write the chapter first.

The religion itself is called Sehnsucht. The closest meaning I can determine is the “pursuit of heaven” or “search of home or belonging.” It seems that Nords, themselves, feel a detachment to this world and see it as a temporary existence before moving beyond to their true home. Perhaps it would be more accurate that the Nords consider this life to be a proving ground for their version, or rather versions, of heaven. More on that later.

Most of what I impart was supplied to me by a shaman named Kad, who surprised me by approaching me and claiming that he had been called to help me with this chapter. Some other pieces were supplied to me by other Nords who gave me snippets.

Part 1: The Eras of the World

To the Nords, the world is not divided up into eras that begin and end with great events of the world, such as the overthrow of the dark Dwarven King Balgor that marked the beginning of the 2nd Age. Instead, they mark the ages with the transformations of the world itself. Allow me to explain. To the Nords, the great events of the ages would be merely the blossoming of a flower on a tree. To them, an age, or era, would be the initial planting of the seed, then when it first broke the soil, and, finally, when it became a tree. The great events of our ages add color to their era, but nothing more. This metaphor is important to grasp because Nords deal with time upon such a supernatural scale.

Ages Lost: It begins with, not the planting of the seed that would become the tree of our era, but the soil in which it was planted in. This era is known as the Ages Lost. Here, the God-king Caderyn, along with a few survivors of his race retreated to our world after losing a great battle with the greater Daemons and Devils of their version of Hell. Our world was, at the time, a barren and desolate wasteland. The Gods and Goddesses traversed up and down it, seeking each other in grief and loss. When they finally found each other, they mourned for five centuries before Caderyn united them, and set them to work upon their counter attack. They needed an army to reclaim their ancient homeland and knew that the land must be prepared to train and teach a suitable force of warriors. Together, they wrought life upon the world. How they did this has never been fully agreed on. Kad informed me that some shamans declare that Caderyn had his people sprinkle blood across the land and life naturally sprung from it. Others say that each added something they had taken from their true ancestral homeland and placed it upon the land. Water from a jug became the oceans, a seed from a tree became the forests, sand from a pouch became mountains. Kad himself is a believer that a blend of both is true.

Regardless, all shamans agree that intelligent species, like the Nords, Elves, Humans, Orcs, and Dwarves, were created after the land had been established, with spirit-like creatures following them.

They began with Humans. They were clever, resourceful, and gifted with powerful, but almost twisted, magic. They were created from the claw of a Daemon and the sand of the seashore. The Gods and Goddesses looked upon them and thought them intelligent, but Caderyn put his foot down and demanded warriors stockier, stronger, and more durable. So they let the humans out into the world and prepared their next creation.
The Dwarves were then made. Hardy, tough, and able to craft great weapons and enchantments to rival the Forgotten Forges. They were created from boulders on the mountains and the feet of a Daemon. The Gods and Goddesses looked upon them and thought them resilient, but Caderyn put his foot down and demanded warriors more graceful, agile, and harmonious with their land. So they let the dwarves into the world and prepared their next creation.

Next they made the Elves. Quick, light, and close enough to the land that they were able to draw up magic from the elements for battle. They were created from the ear of a Daemon and the trunk of a willow. The Gods and Goddesses looked upon them and thought them fair, but Caderyn put his foot down and exclaimed that these warriors had lost all that the dwarves were given and demanded warriors ferocious and terrifying to behold. So they let the elves out into the world and prepared their next creation.

After the Elves, came the Orcs. Brutal, ferocious, and with fell magic that seemingly harkened back to the Daemons themselves. They were created from the dirt of the world and the skin of a Daemon. The Gods and Goddesses looked upon them and thought then powerful, but Caderyn put his foot down and exclaimed that each race had some necessary qualities, but none truly held all the needed ones to fight the Daemons.

For a brief moment, the Gods and Goddesses pondered how to satisfy Caderyn. Then Maedoc, who is only ever mentioned here, laughed and came up with his answer. He created a creature that took the agility of the Elves, ferocity of the Orcs, cleverness of the Humans, and the resilience of the Dwarves and created the Nords. Born from the heart of a Daemon and the ocean and ice of the far north, the Nords were battle ready upon their creation. Caderyn looked upon them and laughed, exclaiming that “here is a warrior! A warrior powerful enough that he may even turn upon us with the Daemon in his heart! Such a warrior can only be named one thing, Fenrir! Wolf warriors! Ha!” So he stripped them of magic and was pleased. He sent them out into the world to become his new army. Thus, the sapperling of the world has sprung.

Now, you may have noticed that every race has some Daemon in them. I asked Kad and he said that the Gods and Goddesses needed warriors that understood how their enemy fought, in order to beat them. However, they did not want to risk them turning upon them in the heat of battle. This world is then a proven ground of loyalty, honor, and glory. Those who serve well in life are then rewarded in death with a place in Caderyn’s army and one of the heavens, while those who fail to do so are cast down to the Daemons and Devils. To be with their own kind, so to speak.

The spirits themselves are hardly touched upon in this era. All that it is said is that the were born from the sheer love of the Gods and Goddesses had for this world that, these beings were born from it. Nyiads, Dryiads, and fey-like creatures. However, it is said that dragons are monsters that the Daemons send into the world to torment the Nords and their brethren races. Slaying one is considered one of the highest achievements a Nord can make, and many legends center around these mythical beasts.

The Growing Years: The second era of the world is barely touched upon in traditional lore, beyond a few scant myths that are so vague that they do not even make much sense to the shamans. It is, however, agreed that they were chaotic. Nords lacked direction, purpose, guidance. Like a sapperling bowing in the wind, they scattered everywhere and did anything they pleased. Caderyn, worried that his new warriors would tear apart this world that had been created, took council with his fellow deities. It was his wife, Veleda, who came up with the shamans. Nords touched with the ability to see, through ritual and dreams, the will of the deities and would be able to guide the Nords.

The Gods and Goddesses then choose children while they are still in their mothers to be shamans. A word of caution is given to all shamans, however. Daemons will also try to corrupt and mislead shamans so that they will guide the Nords to doom. Thus, the tree has grown great and strong.

Years of Proving: The third and final age of this world. Naturally, it is the current and thought to be the longest as well. During this time are the great heroes of Nordic legends. All Nords focus upon proving themselves in some way, with the most common way being warfare. However, there are also renowned smiths, sailors, and even farmers. Shamans earn their way into Caderyn’s army through guiding the people. Considering the number of legends Kad has regaled me with, I will be copying many of them down in a different chapter.

Ragnarok: The end of the world. Kad explained to me that Daemons will break free from their realm and wage war upon this world and the heavens, causing this world’s destruction while Caderyn leads his host in the defense of the heavens and then, if the war goes well, counter-assaults the Ancient Realm where the Daemons lie. What happens after Ragnarok is something that Kad never told me and wouldn’t answer if I asked. I am under the impression that not even they know.

Part 2: The Pantheon of Gods and Goddesses

Nords have at least seventeen beings that could be called Gods and Goddesses. I say that because not all Nords agree as to which beings are deities in the first place. However, it is of common belief that their are many Gods and Goddesses in heaven as many had children and some may have not made themselves known yet to Nordic shamans. This can be quite complicated as, for example, a shaman may come forward claiming that they received a dream from a God or Goddess that was previously unknown, while another may come forward saying that they themselves had conducted a ritual that showed that a deceiver had caused false dreams for many shamans the previous night. Thus, there is continuous ongoing debate as to who ought to be considered divine, and who not. Kad, however, has listed to me the ones that are universally agreed to be Gods and Goddesses.

Caderyn: Father and warrior king of the Gods and Goddesses. Depicted as a bearded warrior with golden hair, storm-grey eyes, and garbed for war. He was born before the Ages Lost and one of the few survivors of the Ancient War between them and the Daemons and Devils. He was the one who united the remaining deities and organized them to prepare for their counter-assault. His natural leadership and refusal to give up despite the loss of their home earned Caderyn the crown. Caderyn married Veleda, the fairest and wisest of the deities and sired at least five children from her and a scattering of others from powerful beings or spirits. At the end of time, when the Daemons fully break free from their realm and assault Caderyn and his host in an attempt to stop him from building a greater army. He sits upon the Golden Throne in Caislean na Sciathain, Castle of Wings, where he plans his revenge and even leads some raids against the Daemons. Patron of warriors and leaders. Symbol is of a great-sword.

Veleda: Queen of Wisdom and mother of the Gods and Goddesses. Her image is that of a woman in a long, green dress, green as a wooded glen, with rich, red hair that would trail upon the ground, were it not for her attendants that prevent it from doing so. Born also before the Ages Lost, she was the first to follow Caderyn and is always his constant support and guide. Eternally faithful, she will bear no children save his own. Inventor of the shamans, she seeks to guide all all races, not just the Nords, to the heavens and into Caderyn’s mighty host. Her house is also Caislean na Sciathain, but she also walks the forests of Tir na nOg, yes it is spelled like that, Kad was very specific, which is translated to the Land of Youth. She is patron to shamans and wayward wanderers who search for meaning. Symbol is of a pine tree.

Maedoc: Beyond his part in creating the Nords, and that Maedoc is male, nothing is known about him.

Hildr and Hjorprimul: Twin brother and sister and firstborn of Caderyn. Each are depicted as crimson haired warriors who grimly and eagerly lead the unending raids against the Daemons in an effort to hamper and scout them before Ragnarok. Patrons of sailors and questers. Symbol is a ship with crossed axes in front of it.

Smiorgorn: Third child and son of Caderyn and Veleda. He is the first smith who taught the races his craft. He resides in the Ashen Plane, in the heart of a volcano where any smith who wishes to enter under his teachings and make weapons for Caderyn’s army must brave this final test in the afterlife and bring with him his, or her, greatest work in life to impress him with. If Smiorgorn accepts, he will teach techniques and skills long forgotten and command the soul to help prepare for Ragnorok. His symbol is, and Kad told me not to be shocked by this, is of a hammer and anvil. Patron of all craftsmen and those who show dedication to their trade, whatever it may be. Smiorgorn has slightly vague patronage.

Driidra na Skald: Fourth child and daughter of the king and queen. Driidra na Skald composes songs, writes epics, and paints heroism. She sings for the warriors at Caislean na Sciathain of their glorious battles in life and against the Daemons. She doesn’t take students directly, but lets any seeks her out to watch her as she works or sings. Naturally, she is a patron of the arts and her symbol is of a shaped hand that looks like it is holding a pen or brush, or perhaps uplifted as some singers do when in song.

Rocstoll the Blind: Judgement incarnate and the last son of Caderyn and Veleda. Rocstoll sits next to the Baisteach Falls. These falls plummet straight down through a hole in the realm into Hell, and no Daemon can climb its slick cliff-face. Above it are the heavens, and a plane of crags and rocks lie in between with the falls falling through a hole in the ground. There Rocstoll the Blind sits with the only dragon who is friendly to the Gods and Goddesses, Garnack. Rocstoll judges all the souls of the dead and, if found worthy, has Garnack carry them up the walls. But if found unworthy, Garnack chomps down upon the soul and spits them down the falls and into Hell. Anyone, who does not want to risk his judgement, can request that they attempt to climb Baisteach Falls and allow the waters to purify them. However, the Nords only tell of one successful climb. Rocstoll the Blind is the patron of justice and duty. His symbol is that of a dragon’s eye.

Regrettably, the other deities are in debate as to whether or not they actually are Gods and Goddesses. As such, I will not include them in this chapter as I want to the parts of Nordic faith that are fully agreed upon. However, I can say that there is at least one trickster god, five fertility gods, two of the harvest, three of nature, one of the ocean, one of the sky, and many more that fill various functions in Nordic society.

Part 3: Realms

This will be my last part upon Sehnsucht, but before I delve into them, Kad specifically asked me to add this. He said that it is possible for any race to enter the heavens, through the same trials that any Nord would have to accomplish. He would often go out of his way to talk about legends that included the heroism of the other races. At first, I thought he was humoring my interest in the inter-relations between Nords, Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs, but now I’m not entirely sure. While this may be a personal note and usually reserved for my prefaces, I found it odd that he wanted this included. Often enough, Nords ignore the other races when they’re not raiding them. But he seemed so earnest and almost, in a way, desperate that this point is carried across. Perhaps he believes that the other faiths are merely leading the races other than Nords astray, or into peril. Perhaps he worries that Caderyn’s army will not be large enough for Ragnarok without the other races. Regardless, I have done as he asked and will now cease with my personal musings.

The Heavens: There are three places in the heavens, although not all may not be considered pleasant.

Caislean na Sciathain: Castle of Wings and seat of King Caderyn. Here is the ever expanding and growing garrison quarters for his army. In the hall of feasting, the warriors regale each other with tales of battle and glory. The head table is reserved for the Gods and Goddesses and any warrior who Caderyn himself calls to eat with him for a night. The fortress is of epic proportions with interlaced gardens, courtyards, smithies, and training grounds. It is always growing to accommodate new warriors with the surrounding landscape being endless fields, forests, and mountains with a mighty port attached to the back of the castle itself to house all the vessels that go and raid the realm of the Daemons, Hell. Any warrior who falls in battle will be reborn again in the castle.

Tir na nOg: The realm of eternal youth. It is said that one could reach it by walking from the castle, but where exactly it lies in relation to it is unknown. Why it is known as such is a mystery to me as no soul ages while in the heavens. However, it is a mountainous forest where the wild creatures and fey flourish strongly. Shamans, maidens, and warriors who died young are often taken here by Veleda. Any warrior who wishes a bride among these maidens must first brave the forest and its wardens.

Ashen Plane: Known by no other name, the Ashen Plan holds the great forges of the heavens where the smiths toil away, preparing great weapons and engines of war for Ragnarok. Here resides Smiorgorn, who leads the effort and teaches many powerful blacksmiths.

The Realm in Between: There is one land between the heavens and Hell, known only by the Realm in Between. Rocstoll the Blind and Garnack sit here, with their backs to the cliff that leads to heaven and the Baisteach Falls that no Daemon can climb and judgment is placed upon the souls of the dead. It is a desolate land of rocky crags where one could, if too terrified of judgement or attempting the falls, reside until Ragnarok.

Hell: Little is known about the realm of the Daemons beyond that it is where the Daemons marshal their army to destroy the remaining Gods and Goddesses. All that is known is that steam ever rises from the single hole that the Baisteach Falls plummet through.

Ancestral Lands: Kad and no Nord ever explained this to me and what I know is only what I have interpreted, which is very little. All I know is that they exist and was once the home of the Gods and Goddesses and that the Daemons ransacked or destroyed or now occupy it and no God nor Goddess will return there, save, perhaps, after Ragnarok.

Conclusion: I now conclude this chapter on Nordic religion, Sehnsucht, but do not mistake this for everything. I have yet to touch upon the few rituals Kad has explained to me, nor many of the legends and how the ancestors act as guiding beacons for the Nords. But it is getting late, and my candle is now melted so much that I must find a replacement tomorrow. And each would make a mighty chapter in its own right. Heh, “mighty,” the Fenrir must be starting to rub off on me.

Last edited:
10f5d86b54a44b847f9a3f935e4ff446.png

Name: Elise 'Lis' Gale (a.k.a. Viola Hayes - fake)​
Race: Human (Lorrite)
Class: Sorcerer/Rogue​
Description:
Lis is around 1,70m with a lithe, slender body. She keeps her dark hair long and always well cared for, one of her favorite features about herself. Her eyes are honey-colored and can draw a person in, especially when she wants something out of them. She dresses to the occasion, more discreetly when she needs, functionally when she travels or foresees a fight, but she mostly like to dress herself in quality clothes she gladly pays with other people's money.

She carries a number of small blades hidden in her clothes, a saber and a rapier at her hips. When needed, she dons a light leather armor crafted to her measurements so her movements are never impeded. Thieves' tools are part of her attire at all times, but if she is up to no good, she will carry an assortment of useful items, such as rope, grappling hooks and the like. Lis is rarely seen without a silvered canteen she keeps her mead in.

Personality Traits: Lis was always over-protective about her little sister. When their world turned upside down and she thought her dead, Lis became a tad cynical, hedonistic, reckless. She will accept most challenges or con her way out of one she thinks she cannot win. She'll dare to rob a place just because people say it is impossible. It is not like she always succeeds, but you can be certain she will be bragging if she does.

Her powers were always much weaker than her sister's, but perhaps because of that Lis has learned how to use them to her best advantage, generally enhancing her physical skills somehow or performing mostly self-affecting spells. She is rather creative and resourceful and makes it work in her favor. She is bitter about the loss of their mother and her sister (as far as she knows) and blames her father, harboring a burning hatred towards the man.

Background: Elise was the first child of the family and her parents, Agnes and Luther, had tried long for a boy, but lost hope. Years later came her little sister, a surprise for both. Luther was always a harsh, sober man, which clashed distinctly badly with Elise's brighter, more carefree and playful demeanor. She often suffered in his harsh, disciplining hands, but she'd endure anything if it kept her sister from harm.

Shortly after her mother discovered her little sister's strong magic affinity, Elise discovered hers. They were all so burdened, she hid it from everyone, besides, she judged it weak and underwhelming, unlikely to pose a problem. Until the fateful day. After her little sister's power went out of control in their father's presence, she knew things were not going to end well. Her mother and her tried to get her away, but failed. When the guards came for her, Elise rebelled, without truly knowing what she was doing, she enhanced her strength and dexterity and managed to pose quite a fight against the guards who had come, even at her young age of 15. Unfortunately, when the flintlock pistols came out, her mother intervened, taking the shot that was aimed at Elise. She ran in horror and fear, and her sister was taken.

Elise by no means forgot her, but there were posters with her face around town and she had to run. On the next village over, she met Pete, a young thief who had stopped her from being caught for stealing food off a merchant. He mocked her lack of skill and awkwardness and agreed to teach her his skills. Barely a moon passed and Elise ventured back into the city of Braedon to find her sister, but her search revealed no one by her name was locked in the Mage Tower.

That was the final blow, her last hope shredded away, Lis entered a criminal life, seeking riches and her father, who was nowhere to be found. She'd find him, and have her revenge. So far however, she found no trail to follow and felt reluctant about leaving Braedon for good, leaving behind her mother's grave and any vain hope that her sister might still be alive might be the thing that pushes her over the edge...​

4ceb4d45af80221fce68cbeb28f380c8--fantasy-rpg-medieval-fantasy.jpg

Class: Sorcerer​

Description: Ara is a plain looking girl except for her shocking green eyes. Her dark brown hair appears harsh against her white pale skin. It has been roughly chopped off, regrowing as an uneven mess. She is short, thin and malnourished. Due a ritual the seal her magic, she has several deep red markings over her body. Ara is dressed in the plain cast off tunic she was released in. She does not care much for her appearance thus often looks a mess.

Ara carries no weapons nor many possessions, only a small pouch which contains her release order and a small handmade doll she had taken with her from her life before the Mage Tower.

Personality: Ara is a girl stuck in two worlds due to the abuse she suffered. Part of her is older than her years and the other is childish in her wants for the affection and care she missed. She is unpracticed in social interaction after being locked away for so long. She is scared,lost and unsure but also very naïve. Due to the suppression of her illness, Ara experiences moments of insanity.

Ara feels a great longing for her sister. Viewing her as both a sister and a mother figure, however, these thoughts are tainted with resentment.
Why did she not come for her? Or visit her? How could she forget about her?

Ara can become quite jealous of the power her sister can harness and the life of “freedom” she’s been living.

Ara believes herself to be a burden and is always afraid of hurting others, believing herself to be a dangerous. She is terrified of her own power but now that that magic is constrained, she naively believes her life can be as it was. If she could find her mother, life could return. She was normal now, she was fixed.

History:
Ara showed signs of wild magic at the age for two. Although manageable at the time, she grew more and more powerful and uncontrolled as she got older. Her Mother hid her inside, away from the public and from her father as much she could. She could only find control over the magic when she could rid herself of emotion and although she practiced, this was hard for the child to maintain. Any emotion would bring forth the powerful energy.

One night when was 8 years old, she became locked into a terrible nightmare. Her screams echoed through the small house and around her rose blistering flames. With the house burning to the sound of Ara’s shrieks, her power could no longer be hidden. Her father brought men to take her away, she was gone before she could see the fate of her mother and sister.

The time she spent locked away was brutal and lonely. Even the guards were fearful of her uncontrolled magic and often beat her in an attempt to subdue her. She was kept on minimal rations in an attempt to lower her energy. The years passed and life beyond the walls of her prison become foggy and dreamlike. So long had passed since she had last heard her name.

Finally, at 19 there came a solution. She could be free, they could restrain her magic. A ceremony that would lock it inside her; unable to harnessed. The only problem was that the ritual could end in her demise. None the less, she agreed, figuring death would be no worse than life as it was now. The ritual was excruciating and left her unconscious for several days. It was successful, however, and a few weeks later she was out. Free, finally.​

Last edited:
Alright, so here are a few rough character ideas. You guys can tell me which you're interested in, and I'll put up a full character sheet from there.

Isaac: Human, male, around 20. He lives with his elderly father and his older brother on a small farm not too far from Braedon. Isaac was born with twisted, useless legs, and every healer gave his family the same answer- Isaac would never walk on his own. He spent his life buried in books, studying medicine, in the hopes he could someday move to the city, start a practice, and provide some income for his struggling family. But when Isaac was in his late teens, he started to develop powers. Alone in his room, Isaac learned how to harness the magic he was discovering and use it to support himself, giving him the ability to walk unaided, among other things. Rather than tell his family, Isaac kept the power a secret. If registered, he feared he would bring even more trouble down upon his family. Not even they could be told. His brother had always resented him, both for the fact he couldn't help much with the day to day farm work and because their mother had died birthing Isaac. While Isaac knew his father would keep his secret, he also knew his brother would turn him in without another thought once their elderly father passed on.

Kianne: Elf, in human equivalence mid twenties, female. A caster from the nature domain, she trained all her life to hone her powers, almost to an art form. She has very few memories of her family, as she was taken from them at a young age. They were nothing more than distractions that got in the way of her studies, or so she was told. While she is skilled in her craft, she is naive of the world around her in many ways, including the Lorrites' attitude towards casters. She brings the news that orcs are moving south, towards Lorrite lands. The rest of her messanger party was killed in an attack on the way, and she is the sole survivor.

Oh, both concepts are so good! I think as you might be going for interactions with Ara first, perhaps Isaac might sympathise more readily with her predicament, but Kianne's foreign nature might just as well be a point of drawing curiosity or something. I'm gonna wait and see what AJ says, but I do believe you should play what you feel like playing the most :)

Both are great but I actually think Kianne would add more to the story although maybe not slot in as readily. A whole new dynamic. But honestly they are both great and would both work well so I think you should choose whoever you would enjoy writing for the most.

I'm honestly excited about both of the characters, and I'm pretty confident I could give either a compelling personality, build an interesting dynamic with Ara and eventually Lis. But they would lead the story to such different places.

Kianne sort of introduces a new plot arc we could follow- getting the people of Braedon to trust her would be a battle in and of itself, there would be the culture clash to play with, and then we could write the eventual raid. Isaac disturbs the existing storyline far less, though whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, you'd know better than I. Adding Isaac would basically mean playing within Braedon's rules some more, whereas with Kianne there's a chance the society could be jostled some. Guess what I'm asking is, do you think the story needs a fresh turn, or is it good as is?

If there's really no preference, I'll probably go with Isaac at first. He'll be easier to put into the story, and he would be easier to take out if we decided to. Whereas introducing Kianne would open up a whole new can of worms and derail the existing plot a bit more.

Last edited:
Sounds like Isaac's the best fit for the moment. Think we've got more character and relationship development to go before we move on to such a large plot point that Kianne will bring.

Thanks! I'll post a more thorough CS here when I get a free moment to write one out.

I figure Ara could run into him on her way out of the town when she ditches Lis. I read your in-character thread and you aren't quite there yet, so I'll watch it and put him in when it makes sense.

Name: Isaac Castman
Race: Human (Southerner)
Class: Sorcerer/Cleric

View attachment 1324
Not my image, by the way, I have nowhere near the artistic ability to draw my own characters. Just a faceclaim.

History: Isaac was born with twisted, useless legs, and every healer gave his family the same answer- Isaac would never walk on his own. While his brother Carson and father Omar worked the family's small plot of land outside Braedon, Isaac spent his life buried in books he saved for ages to buy, studying medicine in the hopes he could someday move to the city to start a practice and provide some income for his struggling family. But when Isaac was in his late teens, he started to develop powers. Alone in his room, Isaac learned how to harness the magic he was discovering and use it to support himself, giving him the ability to walk unaided, among other things. Rather than tell his family, Isaac kept the power a secret. If registered, he feared he would bring even more trouble down upon his family. Not even they could be told. Carson had always resented him, both for the fact he couldn't help much with the day to day farm work and because their mother Amelia had died birthing Isaac. While Isaac knew his father would keep his secret, he also knew his brother would turn him in without another thought once their elderly father passed away.

Appearance: Isaac is 5'10" standing fully upright, although leaning on his wooden crutches makes him appear shorter than he is. His frame is slight and skinny, not carrying much in the way of fat or muscle. He has olive skin, hazel eyes, and dark hair which is perpetually a mess. He wears simple farmer's clothes, which due to his family's financial status, are faded and worn out.

Goals: Growing up, Isaac always wanted to be a healer, inspired by his own disability. He saved what little he could afford for books on human physiology and dreamed of moving to the city, where he could work as an apprentice for a while under an established healer before starting his own practice. Though he never had any intent to discover a cure for his own condition, the study of medicine allowed Isaac to satisfy his endless curiosity, and it was also a way he hoped he could one day help support his family. But finding the initial funds to support him through his apprenticeship has been difficult, and he has not yet managed to leave the farm.

Currently, with his father's fading health, Isaac feels increasingly trapped. Carson has always been hostile towards Isaac, but his more recent attitude suggests he has started to suspect Isaac's powers. Isaac knows Carson will turn him in to the Mage Hunters as soon as Omar is gone and Carson is free from the repercussions of his judgement. While Isaac has been able to do simple healing magic, like mending a cut or a bird's broken wing, he is not nearly skilled enough to heal his ailing father. His options are dwindling fast. Even if he was able to leave the farm for an apprenticeship now, Isaac knows Carson would send Mage Hunters after him in hopes of a reward. More than ever, running away is starting to seem like a good option, but Isaac is loathe to leave his father in his final weeks. He has a bag packed with some provisions and clothes hidden at the edge of the property, in case of a fast exit.

Personality: Growing up on his family's farm outside the city, Isaac doesn't have much experience with people. The extent of his social interaction as a child was in accompanying his father to the market to trade once a season. While he earnestly wants to help everyone he comes into contact with, he often finds himself saying or doing the wrong thing. He carries a good deal of guilt over his mother's death, Carson's attitude towards him not helping, as well as guilt for being a burden on his family, unable to work the land but still needing to eat. His nature is easygoing and eager to help others, and while he is slow to anger, he is also slow to forgive. While the government's actions toward casters appalls and terrifies him, the idea of any sort of rebellion terrifies him as well. He would prefer to discreetly work against the system on a small scale than push towards an uprising.

Values: Loyalty, generosity, family, knowledge and learning, peaceful diplomacy and conflict resolution

Awesome! I'll make a post in a bit. Setting up a reaction now and then I gotta wait two hours for it to reflux. (Chemistry is a loooot of hurry up and wait, haha).

Ha, posts will NOT always be that long, sorry. Just figured since it was the first with a new character I might as well introduce him right.

Yay! Welcome to the game! And yeah, my entry posts tend to be rather long too, lol, but I never mind a good long post :D

Hey everyone! Sorry for the long wait but I ran into some trouble with university work so I took a bit of a hiatus from the site, will try get everything sorted before Friday!

Back