Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Ra'shak Village

as written by Sentry

When the two left, Jurai sat there, more confused than ever. All her attention centered on Lerot. She stared at him for a very long time. She did not answer his question. She had too many of her own.

"Who are you? What are those? Where am I? What poison?" She went down the list, trying to remember everything that happened before she had passed out. Out of reflex, she grabbed at her chest, then looked down. She had a fistful of her vest, but there was no furry monster. There was no injury...that she knew of. Had the shirt not been damaged? She zipped the vest down, then pulled down the neck of her shirt. Nothing. Perfectly healthy skin. The same with her stomach.

Letting go of the shirt, she noticed her fingers. Something was wrong with her fingers. One more question came to Lerot. "What happened? I was being devoured." All in a weak, dull tone that she had maintained from the beginning.

as written by Architect

"I am Lero-" The young man had tried to start answering her questions as they came, but was caught off guard when she started to inspect herself. Seeing a bit more skin than he thought he should, Lerot was quick to turn around and busy himself by picking up the chair he'd knocked over.

"ahem." he cleared his throat with a cough when she was done. "One. I'm Lerot. Two, I'm not sure what 'those' are or what kind of poison was in your bloodstream. And Thirdly, you weren't being 'devoured' when we found you. Can you remember anything from before you passed out?"

as written by Sentry

The woman leaned forward, hair hanging over her face. So, he did not know any more than she did. But what could she remember? The bush, what had been behind the bush...

"I can remember...there was something...inside the bush. And then I can't remember past that. Then...something eating my stomach. Something heavy." She shook her head. "So it was poison?" Her lips were pressed in a thin line. "I see. And you saved me?"

as written by Architect

"I had a very minimal role in assisting you...." Lerot confessed rubbing the back of his neck. "The furrier ones did mostly everything. Although they don't seem too trusting of us, something to do with other humans in the area..."

He shook his head to clear his thought process.

"Sorry, off track, do you recall how you came to be in this jungle anyway? You're not native, and you don't seemed to be equipped for....surveying."

as written by Sentry

She listened silently, elbows leaning gently against her knees. She felt the heat raise from her skin, only to get stuck in her sleeves, stifling her. It felt as though that ocean of iron was still bearing down on her. Filling her lungs. She could breathe, it was just uncomfortable.

When he inquired about her means of arrival, she moved her glance from him, to the wall. Her lips parted ever so slightly as she thought back to the last day.

"Boat," she stated simply. "It crashed." She turned to him again. "Where are my weapons?"

as written by Architect

"The others took the weapons that you had on you with them." Lerot answered, putting both hands on the edge of his seat and in between his legs.

"You said you came in a boat that crashed? Were there others on that boat?"

as written by Sentry

She shook her head. "I do not know," she droned. "Probably all dead."

Jurai's indifference might have been astounding. It also probably meant nothing at all. "Could I have my weapons? If I need to repay my debt, I will."

as written by Architect

"That's really not up to me, if it was I'd give them to you in a heartbeat, but we're kind of guests in their home right now so..." He lifted both hands up in a futile gesture.

"Not really much we can do except abide by their rules. Like I said they don't exactly roll out the welcome mat for Humans. and it seems like it'll be a while before they return, so rather than fuss over it, why not make the best of it?"

as written by Sentry

Jurai lifted her head in a very small gesture, a half-nod. "So we are the same. You know nothing." She turned around to throw her legs over the side of the cot. "I will ask them." She tried to carry Lerot's gaze. "Thank you," she said dryly.

As soon as she got onto her feet, her knees buckled and she fell.

as written by Architect

Lerot got out of his chair hurriedly and grabbed onto the woman's shoulders, leaning to his side slightly as he tried to avoid being thrown off balance.

"You know, it's obvious in your condition you can't get anywhere. If you try to rush like this you'll only do more damage to your body. Why don't you lie back down? I might be able to help your muscles recover a little easier."

Lerot smiled at the girl.

"Really, just relax a moment, it's not like anyone's out to get you right now."

as written by Sentry

The young woman's head hung low for a moment as dizziness overcame her, but once it lightened, she tried to push herself up onto her feet again, using Lerot's hold on her shoulders to do the job. She did not look at him, only ahead.

"What does it matter?" she asked, trying to struggle ahead, every step taken as though she were wearing cement shoes. "Recovery is not important."

as written by Architect

"Recovery is always important, isn't it?" Lerot responded quite simply. "I mean, we can't just push our bodies past their limits, but it's more than just that. There's mental recovery, where we think about our experiences and learn from them. There's emotional recovery, where we embrace pain and let it harden us for our next adventure. There's quite a few necessary recoveries, but if you just shrug off recovery as a whole in order to try to achieve something, not only will you fail at your goal, but you wind up damaging yourself more than it should've been."

He stood in front of her and blocked her path, elbows locking as he held onto her shoulders with straight arms.

"Just, sit, and rest. It'll be there when you're ready."

as written by Sentry

Shuffling feet stopped moving, and tired eyes with dark circles beneath them slugged in their sockets to the blonde. Her skin was paler than it had been before she had even arrived on the island, but much of it was covered by clothing too heavy for jungle weather, and mud. She redefined the phrase "absolute mess."

Rolling her head back, she let a still pause draw itself out between them before she spoke, "There is no goal anymore." After which she turned, then shuffled back to the bed, sitting atop it, but never laying down. "I'll stay for a bit longer because you asked."

as written by Architect

"I appreciate it. And so will you." Lerot smiled as he pulled a chair up to the side of the cot. "Now, roll up a pant leg and a sleeve for me."

The mage waited patiently for her to follow his instructions. He knew that for what he planned to do, originally one would ask for the shirt to be removed entirely, but he wasn't about to tell that to some poor girl he didn't know.

as written by Sentry

Without question, she followed his orders. Jurai kept wondering if she should worry, if things should matter more. Was finding another reason to keep going worth it? Why had she come this far? Life. Why was she...

"Why are you keeping me alive? Those people." She pointed to him with her chin. "Why are you helping me? Are you under orders?"

as written by Architect

"Orders? In a way I guess." Lerot smiled as he place a hand on both her leg and arm. "My own. Helping people who need it should be everyone's priority shouldn't it? I gain nothing from helping you now, true, but maybe helping you is what I hope to gain. do you always need a reason to do the right thing?"

He closed his eyes for a moments and breathed out slowly.

If she focused she might've felt small pulses emanating from where Lerot touched her skin. The young mage applied his magic to science, and used low voltage electrical charges to stimulate the muscles in her body.

as written by Sentry

It took her a while to respond to that.

"You," she began, pointing at him with her other hand. "You have a Voice." And he probably knew it. She pointed to herself. "I would not know. But what is the right thing? We aren't the same."

Her mind wandered off from the topic at hand when she sensed something queer. Instinctively, she tried to pull away, but upon realizing what she was doing, relaxed.

"What are you doing?"

as written by Architect

"It's a type of physical therapy commonly used in athletic medicine." Lerot answered, ignoring her first remark with some curiosity, "Although the doctors usually hook you up to a machine, I don't have to do such thing..." Lerot smirked, lifting one hand and making a "C"-ish pose with it. He waited for her to look before allowing a visible streak of electricity to flow through the space in between his fingers.

"I'm not exactly your average human."

as written by Sentry

"What is average?" she asked. Having never been out of...the Kingdom...she never really was quite sure. The world was new, and different, and nothing like the Leader said it would be.

When the electricity sparked in his hand, she observed closely, but did not seem particularly impressed. In fact, her expression never did change. "You are a mage."

as written by Architect

"Of sorts." Lerot confirmed with a nod. "When I was born, I found that I had an affinity for electrical things, but what really gave it away was during a storm when I was a child, I kind of....controlled the path that some of the lightning took. Ever since then I've been raised by the Order."

Back