• Female, Heterosexual.

• Female, Homosexual.

• Female, Bisexual.

• Female, Asexual.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
This is a poll about sex & sexuality I said I'd do in the chat box. It's real simple: Choose the option which is most closely related to your position--not all positions are represented to prevent the poll from bloating to hell. The objective of this poll is to collect demographics information about the site's users, primarily for curiosity's sake. This poll can then be used (within a certain margin of error) to determine the overall site population as a whole. The poll itself is anonymous.

Future polls may be created if people are particularly interested in this subject matter. If they are, I can then draw comparisons between them using statistics on a spreadsheet. Maybe even make pretty graphs.

This thread may also be used to discuss the topics of sex (as in the gender) and sexuality. The topic can change as is natural for the conversation, so long as it remains at least tangentially related. The anonymity provided by the poll will not cover you to the extent of your replies in the thread, so if you state what you voted for on the poll, your anonymity is voided by your own choice--just remember that.

So to start the discussion part of this thread off, I'll ask a couple simple questions.

Query: Do you role play characters who possess a sex or sexuality differing that of your own? Do you find it easy, or difficult? Is it something you feel you need to practice, or something which comes to you easily?

[The rest of this is data collections information]
Poll Type:
  • Anonymous.
  • Single Choice.
  • No vote changing. (First vote stays forever.)
  • No poll preview. (Prevents herd mentality.)
Date: 2017-02-05.
Length: No Expiry Date.
Ideal Target: 20+ votes.
Objective: Basic Demographics.

So as my reputation for playing "gay babies" may suggest, by and large, I play characters who share my gender and sexuality. That said, I mostly do that not because I can't play characters that aren't those things, but rather just because I prefer to play those characters that I can strongly identify with on those terms. I quite often enjoy the inclusion of romance in my character arcs, and I enjoy both reading and writing romance that correlates with my own gender/gender preferences.

A lot of the characters I play that aren't my gender/sexuality, are more side-characters by comparison to those that are. This isn't always the case, and some of my more prominent female / straight male characters include Aiedai (asexual female), Scarlet (lesbian female), Aliana (bisexual female), Sylvire (straight female), and Aurelion (straight male). That's a relatively small list considering the overall size of my character list, and even including the side-characters (mostly female)... well, I have a reputation for a reason. :p I do play quite a few bisexual male characters (about half as many as the gay male ones), but yeah...

Whilst if I were undertaking a more serious writing project I'd be inclined to push myself out of my comfort zone so as to create a more statistically realistic cast, in terms of my roleplay... I'm more of the mind to just keep playing what I want to.

Out of interest, I tallied up all my characters across the site: I've got 23 straight women, 15 bi women, 2 lesbians, 1 asexual woman, 11 straight guys, 24 bi guys, and 49 gay guys.

I actually prefer playing male characters to female characters when I look over my character list that I've had for my RP's over the years, despite been female myself. I don't have many characters here. I believe I have 14 here. But from RP's over the last 8 years from different sites I've got 100's of characters and most of them are men. Out of all of them though, I have two characters that are gay, both male. I personally prefer playing straight males or females. Whether I play them accurately or not? I don't know. But I enjoy playing all of them still. :)

I've said female Asexual. And normally when I play characters, both male and female fairly consistently, sexuality is not normally a thing I think about until I'm faced with the choice in the story. Male Bi/gay are probably the minority because I've just no clue what that's like so it's not something to come to mind first. But I don't think I would have any adversion to it.

I don't mind revealing that I am a homosexual female (of course exceptions can happen, as with all things in life), but as for my characters, I can play almost any sexuality. My preferences are bisexual females and straight males, respectively. It's an odd combination, but I find that I'm not the best at playing gay men (not a man or particularly interested in them :p), and it doesn't really catch my interest. Nor do I ever want to play straight females, since I always want the possibility of a lesbian relationship. But I don't usually do homosexual females, either, because it's not as easy to find a same-sex romantic roleplay partner as it is to find one who is of the opposite sex, so I prefer to keep it open. I've done some asexual characters as well. Mostly very young ones. In short, my sexuality doesn't hold me back from emulating different kinds of character relationships, but it does create a slight preference.

Generally I use 'pansexual' rather than 'bisexual', though, to include not just males and females, but non-binary characters as well. To this date I have not had a non-binary character, but only because I find it somewhat difficult and confusing to replace male and female pronouns with 'they' for everything, as it could get mixed up with the standard definition of referring to multiple people at once, rather than just a gender-ambiguous individual. But I would like to try it. :)

Last edited:
So while in real life, I'm a bi/pansexual female but I don't really have too much of a preference when it comes to characters though I will admit that some of my female characters are bi or homosexual. Lately, I've been diving into having demisexual characters so a good number of recent characters would probably be of that sexuality. I will say that I do have a slight preference when it comes to making male characters with most of them being bi or homosexual. (Unrelated but I do remember one of my male characters being a sugar daddy...good times.) Anywho, that's about it.

I technically played characters outside of my own sexuality (Straight Male), but it really is technicalities.

1. Back during my teenage "SEX RP! SEX RP!" days, I had the occasional Lesbian character. But really, this was less a Sexuality shift but a Gender shift, since I was still attracted to the same thing. And frankly speaking, these were not for RP's with much quality or integrity to them.

2. My current approach of most characters are just Bi by default. I set this in place just so there's more flexibility when it comes to what could make good plots, sub-stories etc. But, once again although they're technically Bi I've only had a romance for a character pop up once since using this rule, and it was as a dude with a woman. But as far as writing is concerned, I don't really think of sexuality as anything that serious. I get it's a more serious thing IRL, because of how Religions may respond, gay marriage laws, and just simple biology. But an RP is an escape from reality, so most of those pressures don't tend to exist 99% of the time (Not counting RP's where the characters are sexualities with legs rather than actual characters) and since a character isn't actual biology but a written creation, their sexuality can usually change to fit the developing story with little issue.

Last edited:
Query: Do you role play characters who possess a sex or sexuality differing that of your own? Do you find it easy, or difficult? Is it something you feel you need to practice, or something which comes to you easily?

I'm heterosexual. A lady. I like male characters, because I create them as dynamic to my female characters, who aren't delicate types.
It's easy because I have fun with it, and I don't worry so much as 'how would a man act?' as I do 'how would I act if I were this man?" Gender doesn't influence my characters' personalities, their environment does, regardless if they're a boy or a girl. Unfortunately, I haven't had much of an opportunity to create non-binary characters, because the settings I like to RP in aren't usually in time periods where the common people are particularly open-minded.

All of my characters are heterosexual but I completely avoid romantic intrigue in RPs, only because I don't get enjoyment out of writing love scenes.
It's not even the smut--I don't like fluff. There's no point in creating characters with different sexualities if they're never going to express it.

mhXj9TQ.jpg

Based on a total of: 21 votes. (2017-02-09) (threshold was: 20.)

There are an insufficient number of female votes to create a graph with an acceptable RoE. (9 votes out of 20 required.)

I'm a bisexual female. But I usually prefer my characters to be heterosexual. Why? Because I mostly enjoy the chemistry between a man and a woman, with exceptions, of course. I like to think it's because of the fact that I am attracted to the masculinity of men and femininity of women, that I want to see it both in the context of a story. :D

Heterosexual here. I am quite interested in seeing this poll progress. :)

~M

I'm Pansexual! For my characters, I think I have a bit of variety. I don't prefer any sexuality to rp as. I don't think it's hard for me to rp as them, either! It might be because I'm pan myself, however, so it comes to me pretty easily.

Hetero Male here. As long as we're gathering data, I found it interesting (and understandable) the difference between the poll's numbers and the individuals who chose to post about their answer.

The data I roughly gathered shows there is a 1:2 ratio of male to female posters, compared to 2:1 in the polls. According to this, females are more likely to want to openly discuss their sexual preferences by a huge margin (though this is an admittedly small and biased sample size).

Additionally, the ratio of hetero compare to all other answers combined was 21:19, almost even, but hetero inching ahead. In the posts however, there was an overwhelming reversal only two posts that described themselves as heterosexual compared to the 7 posts of other sexualities. Apparently if you are in a sexual minority, you're more likely to discuss it as well?

(disclaimer, just in case: none of this is intended to cause offense, I just like analyzing data in new ways, even such limited and unprojectable data as this. ;))

Y'know there's a joke by Ron White that he told in the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, which I will refrain from typing here out of laziness but will put up a link with a language/content warning, I guess. But the punchline has the funny-because-it's-true quality of basically saying that "everyone is at least a little gay, just depends how much."

So yeah, that's pretty an oversimplification of how I feel about the matter. I know what kind of traits I find attractive in people, and those traits are not always necessarily tied to male or female, especially as the gender lines seem to be blurring more and more in modern times. [a topic for that other thread, I suppose]. But yeah,even if for like every one guy I find attractive, there would probably be at least ten women I'd find equally so. And because of the way I feel society likes to put people into boxes dependent on how they operate instead of treating people as individuals with personal likes and dislikes which they act upon, that would fit me under the category of "bisexual" I suppose. I find it strange though, because we do not separate people into sociopolitical subcategories based upon their fetishes, but y'know, whatever.

As for my characters: I don't really think about it until it becomes relevant and/or brought up in RP, but I go with what is necessitated by their backstory and the setting, and with what makes sense for them personally. I can think of two interesting examples.

One of my character's was convinced he was aware of the fact of his own status as a fictional character and large parts of what drove him was him try to fight back at an all-pervading sense of impotency in the face of the Storyline which could progress without him. I would switch between handling this in dramatic and comedic fashions, but I took sadistic enjoyment in his existential suffering and finding new ways in which to subvert his expectations and emphasize the self-loathing nature of his life. Anyways: because of this powerlessness he felt from his self-awareness, he overcompensated in large parts of his personality, like narcissism, delusions, claiming to be the "main character", and trying to emphasize his masculinity, among other things. So, when another male character teasingly flirted with him, I thought it would be funny and appropriate for him to feel natural attraction to such but refuse to accept it.

Another character was a humanoid alien from another earth-like world that had achieved technological singularity. I pretty much treated her as asexual, as mankind seemed to her as such a primitive species, but ended up involving her with a faction of people, some of which were cybernetically enhanced. From there she developed a huge crush on one of the women there that had been extensively altered so that she was almost as much machine as human. I figured that her being "robo-sexual" made far too much sense to not go with it.

I'm gay and I like to think I have a pretty even spread of characters, sexuality-wise. I don't have many straights, but I have plenty of all the others. Of the ones I've played recently, I have 2 gay, 2 bi, 1 "lesbian" (they're nb afab), a pair of lesbian, and one straight. I'm not a fan of hetero stuff because it simply doesn't interest me, but anyone can be gay, straight, or in between. I just pick what feels right for the character.

Additionally, the ratio of hetero compare to all other answers combined was 21:19, almost even, but hetero inching ahead. In the posts however, there was an overwhelming reversal only two posts that described themselves as heterosexual compared to the 7 posts of other sexualities. Apparently if you are in a sexual minority, you're more likely to discuss it as well?

I think this is because straight male is seen as a sort of default, so there's little to talk about, supposedly.

wow there aren't many gay males, i feel mildly alone

welp 'eres another.

I love playing male/gay ass kids but thats just because i don't see them often, i also play female/hetro babes, its pretty even lmao

Back