Narrowing her eyes and sizing her up once more, Connie relaxed with a nod.

"I don't care if you recognize me. But I do care if you try to feed my brother something he's allergic to." Connie let out a sigh. "But I also know that if my brother ever sends someone, he would still forget to mention that. It's not your fault that you did not know. So, thank you, Nakamura, for trying to take care of him." She put her hand out. "I'm Detective Connie González."

Tsuki accepted the handshake. "It is nice to meet you, Ma'am. And I apologize. I should have asked about allergies specifically. When I return with this order, I'll ask him to tell me about his allergies and preferences for future reference."

Not that he was likely to want a long conversation, but it was worth a shot, and this woman was making her feel like the worst scum in the world for not knowing about an allergy. Did she really think she would try to do this on purpose? Poison him?

Last edited:
“Do that.” Connie nodded at Tsuki’s plan. “You’re order is ready." Connie gestured towards Mark.

"Raspberry tea, coffee, ham, and a berry muffin," Mark called out.

Tsuki nodded to Connie. "Have a good day, Ma'am." She went to the pick up counter and gathered up the two little brown bags and the drinks. It took a bit of sorting, but she soon had it in hand. She gave Mark a true smile. "Thank you. I'll likely see you again."

Well aware of how long her task had taken, Tsuki hurried back to the elevators. They seemed to take hours! It was really only a minute if that, and a couple more minutes before she was stepping out onto the proper floor. She hurried down the hallway, her flats barely whispering on the floor as she walked. She never could stand shoes that clicked like high heels. Something about the sound annoyed her. She dropped her drink off at her cubicle but forgot the muffin as she went to her boss' office.

"Mr. Gonzalez?" She called polite as she tapped on the door. She waited a beat then opened it and walked in. "I have your breakfast, Mr. Gonzalez."

"Huh?" Adam looked up from his computer. "Oh, you were serious." He stood up and went towards Tsuki. As he got closer, he noticed that her scent was heavier. His eyebrows furrowed and he stopped a few feet from here. "How did you get it?"

Tsuki blinked, a little surprised both by his doubting of her seriousness, then by how serious he was about where she'd gotten it. After the dressing down she'd gotten from his police officer sister about nearly "poisoning" him, she half wondered if he thought she'd stolen the food or something. She never thought willingly fetching someone else food would be so dramatic and stressful!

"I got it downstairs in the café as you did not express any particular preference," she replied, holding the brown bags out and slightly up to match his height. "By the way, this was a terrible mistake on my part, but I neglected to ask you if you had any allergies. The last thing I would want to do is accidentally feed you something that would be essentially poisonous to you."

“What?” Adam blinked. Her scent grew heavier. She was anxious and he was making it worse. “I, I don’t, I didn’t mean, rgh,” Adam huffed and rubbed his face. With a deep breath he composed himself and focused back on Tsuki.

“Who paid for the food?” Adam finally got out clearly. Then the rest of her words processed through his mind. “And why does it matter if I have allergies? If you bring me something and I can’t eat it, I will just throw it.”

"That seems rather wasteful, sir," Tsuki replied. "Would it not be better to not buy it at all or give it to someone else? Not that it is particularly my business, of course, merely an opinion. And of course, allergies are very important to know about. Some people have such allergies as peanut allergies, and if they eat something cooked in peanut oil, it can be catastrophic. That said, if you have any allergies I should know about if you could please write them down when you have a few seconds?"

Since he still hadn't taken the bag and her arm was getting really tired from holding it out, she sidestepped and moved around him to set the little baggies and the coffee on his desk before letting her arm hang down. Ah, so much better! Then she suddenly realized... she hadn't retrieved her muffin... Darn it! And she couldn't very well dig through the bags now, could she! She spent a second agonizing then yanked herself back to the present. Right, he'd asked a question.

Turning, she smiled pleasantly at him. "I was going to, but the person standing in line behind me told me that not only were you allergic to chocolate, but they would take care of the expense. It was very kind of them. Which brings me to ask you, would you like for me to open a tab in your name at the café? One you could pay off either on a weekly or monthly basis?"

She knew she was talking rapidly and a lot, but with how gruff and busy Mr. Gonzalez was, she felt like she had to stuff everything she could into the short time he allotted her. It wasn't the best tactic, and she had a feeling it was going to annoy him, but perhaps when he trusted her a little more, or at least was willing to give her a bit more time, she'd slow down.

"Uh," Adam didn't know how to respond to Tsuki's rant. Being in a place where people got him food was not usually an issue he had to deal with. Then she just moved around him and put a bag on his desk. Not only was she going fast with her words, but she was constantly moving around him. He was too confused and unprepared to even be angry at her. She stopped and faced him, finally answering his original question.

Someone at the café, a customer, told her that he was allergic to chocolate. That information wasn't a usual public fact. Only a few remembered, mainly his family. She already met Lucas and Tia knew her. That left, "Connie," Adam growled, looking away from Tsuki. That was why Tsuki's scent was so heavy. Connie probably guilt-tripped her or interrogated her like a criminal.

"Look, don't," Adam huffed and rubbed his face. There were times he was wished to live to the family name. Other times, like this one, he questioned the sanity of his family. "Connie is a cop. Don't take what she says seriously. To her, everyone can be a criminal." Adam focused back on Tsuki.

"I will call and have them make some if I need it. You can check with them before you come up to see if it's ready." That way she wouldn't have to worry about what to get him or how to pay for it, and running into anyone unpleasant.

"Food-wise," He went to inspect the bag she left on his desk. There were a ham croissant sandwich and a berry muffin. With a raised eyebrow, he picked up the berry muffin. "Just know that I usually, don't have a sweet tooth." He held out the muffin to her. He did think about throwing it, but while he was surprised by her rant, he was actually listening.

Tsuki hesitated a moment then reached out and carefully plucked the muffin out of his hand. Don't blush, don't blush, don't... darn, she was blushing, but only faintly. "Yes, sir, I will keep that in mind," she agreed. "Thank you for the arrangement. That will make things much less... complicated."

She dropped her gaze briefly to the muffin, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. "I apologize for any discomfort I have brought to you, sir, particularly in regards to your family. That is not my intention. I only intend to do my job, which means to help you in any way that I can. Including breakfast runs." She made herself look up at him and smile again. "I hope you enjoy your breakfast, sir. I should return to my cubicle and reply to some emails. Unless there is anything else I might help you with, sir?"

When Adam felt her heat rise up, making her scent stronger (not heavy, just more noticeable), his mind became fuddled again. All he wanted to do was relax and breathe the scent in. He tried to bring himself back to the present by clenching his fists tightly. It helped a bit, clearing his mind to hear some of what she was saying. Something about an apology, his family, help, enjoying breakfast, and emails. His meetings! With that thought, his awareness snapped back.

"No," Adam shook his head. "I'm going to be in meetings all morning and I have work as well." He began gathering his work off the floor and put it on his desk. He paused and turned to Tsuki.

"Miss Nakamura," Adam felt his face heat as he spoke. "While my family is my family and I have to take whatever they give without complaint, even discomfort, you umm," Adam swallowed. "You don't have to. If any of them gives you discomfort, tell me." He couldn't promise that anything would change, but she was the first person in a long time to apologize to him. And even though it was for something she had no control over (his family) he wanted to try to make it easy for her. He eyed the hot coffee and bag of food on his desk. Especially since she was obviously trying for him.

"That's all." He looked away from her and turned back to his desk, trying to straighten his work out.

Tsuki blushed deeply at his words. Why would he want her to bring her troubles to him? Troubles with his family? She appreciated what seemed to be a genuine gesture of kindness, but she couldn't do that. To start with, he was already busy and seemed to have an uneasy relationship with his family. Or at least a confusing won. Also, it would feel way too much like tattling, so she resolved that unless the situation was inapropriate or overbearing, she wouldn't bring it up. She'd just deal with it as best she could, like she always did.

"Very good, sir. I'll keep my earpiece on in case you need anything," she said as she opened the door. "I will bring you lunch at noon between your meetings."

“That’s not necessary.” Adam said quickly. He picked up the flash drive she gave him yesterday and handed it back to her. “Take this and get rid of the files on it.” It was just the stories and letters (the 20 out of 100) he did to clean up Agatha’s mess. He backed it up on his computer. The least amount of evidence, the better.

“I will contact you if I need you.” With a wave he dismissed her. He looked at his schedule. His meeting with Paige and Emma was in three minutes and he still wanted to eat.

Tsuki took the flash drive and glanced at it curiously. "Yes, sir." She stepped out, closing the door behind herself.

Weren't these the files from those stories? Why did he want them deleted? And why didn't he delete them himself? Oh well. It didn't really matter, she supposed, and she had a back up in her computer just in case the flash drive glitched or anything.

She sat at her computer and sighed in relief. Safe! For now. She set down her muffin to eat later then started going through the emails. Was there anything for her to do while waiting for him to finish with his meetings? Or at least lunch break? Speaking of lunch, she made a note to leave early so she could get him a balanced lunch.

Adam wolfed down his sandwich, swallowing it in two gulps. Added with a swallow of coffee, he was finished with his breakfast in two minutes. He quickly brought up the notes for Paige and Emma's meeting. They should be bringing up the final deal for the illustrator. Soon they can lay out the marketing and finalize the layout. When he heard the steps coming towards the door, he had the notes out but his desk was a mess. At least, it was an organized mess.

"Come in." Adam heard them get closer to the door. There was a pause before the door opened.

"Good morning, Mr. González." Paige said quietly and Emma nodded. Her back straight and a floder held tightly in her arms.

"Do you have the contract?" He didn't like to wait around.

"Well, sir," Paige began fiddling with a loose strand of her hair.

"We wanted to present a different idea to you, sir," Emma said stepping up and putting a folder on his desk. "We were talking with Tsuki, and realized that there could be a few more options for an illustrator. Such as Nick Harris. Simple yet sophisticated." Emma smiled triumphantly as she stepped back. Adam blinked at the folder.

"Or, Francesca Filomena her work is very textured. Or
Taylor Barron, a person with a more digital and modern style." Paige piped up. There was a tang in the air and Emma's scent was light yet musky. Fear and smugness was an irritating combination. Adam began grinding his teeth. "I also checked that these three illustrators are within our budget."

"What did Georgde said?" Adam's words were strained from holding his growl back.

"We, wanted to run the change by you, sir." Paige said quietly and Adam noticed Emma's little huff. The musky sent growing a bit bitter. Adam clenched his fists. Then he pulled up his drawer and jammed the Bluetooth device in his ear. The high-pitched whine made him wince and his irritation grew.

"Nakamura," Adam growled out. The air was cut with a sharp tangy scent. "Cancel my next two meetings. Let Dan and Leo know. I will email them later. Then come here." Then he hung up and grabbed the folder. "Sit." Adam ordered and pointed to the couch along the wall. Emma's secnt became musky again, and Adam let out a growl. "NOW!" With a bark, both of the women jumped and went to sit down. He waited for Tsuki to come by looking through the folder.

Tsuki jumped at the sudden bark in her ear. Uh-oh, he sounded mad. What had she done? Or not done? Canceling the meetings took only a couple of seconds with a few extra thrown in for appologies. She hopped down from her chair and made certain her shoes were on securely before stepping quickly across the hall. She tapped lightly on door, waited a beat, then opened the door.

"Yes, sir?" she asked politely. She glanced at Emma and Paige quizzically then composed herself. "How can I help?"

Help? Adam held in a scoff. She was just a pretty face sticking her perfect small nose where it didn’t belong. She was a spark to dangerous flames.

"Did you tell them to change the book?” He glowered at Tsuki.

Tsuki stared at him in absolute and genuine confusion, so genuine that she couldn't hide it. "The book, sir?" She thought a moment. "Oh! Do you mean the one with the children's' illustrations? No, sir, of course not. I have absolutely no authority in that matter whatsoever. I was asked my opinion on two separate illustrative designs, and I suggested a third option, but that was the extent of my involvement. A requested opinion, nothing more."

She placed her hands behind her back and took slow, deep breaths. Remain calm. Remain calm. Surely he couldn't get angry at her for giving an opinion on pictures, could he? How could he think she would tell anyone to change anything in any project? She'd only been here two days, and as far as she was aware, the extent of her influence reached only as far as what he wanted her to do. There was no way she'd have the guts to step out of bounds to tell someone to do anything!

"A requested opinion?" Adam barked and turned to Emma. The tangy scent in the air rose. He crinkled his nose in disgust. "You requested her opinion after we've already finalized and begun setting up contracts, just so someone could say you were RIGHT!" Adam let out a growl and Emma flinched. "Get out." Emma didn't move. "NOW!" His sharp canines snapping as he barked. Emma jumped and ran out of the office. The door closed softly after her. Adam focused on Paige.

"If she tries to go over me one more time, I will fire her. And you," Adam pointed to Paige. "Need to stop letting her do that. Be a leader. Or you will be an accessory to her unemployment." It was not a threat. In fact, Adam knew his father would have already fired such an arrogant employee. But Adam knew she was a good worker and Paige was a good lead. If Paige stepped up and Emma stepped down. Plus, Adam was really tired of dealing with leaving employees. Adam sighed and rubbed his face. "I will look over the new choices and call you with my answer tomorrow. You and Emma have the rest of the day off."

"A-are you,"

"GO!" Adam barked. Paige jumped up and ran out of the office as well. That just left him and Tsuki. Leaning on the desk, taunt arms crossed, he faced her.

"Do you want to help me?"

Tsuki literally stood shaking in her shoes. She always thought the saying about one's knees knocking together was just that, a saying, but now that her legs were literally shaking, she wasn't so certain. She focused on breathing in and out, wincing as poor Emma and Paige were savagely scolded and ran out of the room. She made a note to send them both chocolate treats later.

"Do you want to help me?"

She jumped a little as he snapped at her. To be honest, she wasn't certain she wanted to help him anymore, not after that display, but she steeled herself. "That is my job, sir," she said, forcing her voice not to shake.

Back