Spellheart

The official looks a bit incredulous, "Surely you've seen the posters? She was wanted for questioning. Spellheart authorities wanted to pick her up discretely. You shouldn't have ever needed to be involved, but there wasn't a choice. The attempt to pick her up in her sleep was thwarted since she moved to an area visible to the public. The backup plan was to pick her up the next time she used illusionspace. Your cooperation in this matter was of great use to us, and we would greatly appreciate if you kept this matter to yourself." The official motions towards the door. "While I am happy to answer any more questions, I recommend making it quick as to not delay the next match. Many people are testing today."

Momoko furrows her brow and shakes her head a little. "I...see." A criminal then. She had just fought alongside someone who was likely a criminal. She can't help it; her face curls up in disgust and anger. "No, I don't have any more questions." She says as she walks to the door. Before she leaves, she looks over her shoulder at the official and forces a smile. "I'm glad to have been a help!" She says honestly. "Thank you for having me," she finishes, and leaves. She walks as fast as she can, keeping her head dipped down to the ground. She can't decide if she wants to hate herself or hate Amiko. She just wants to get home. She can hide out in one of her dad's Illusionspaces there.

As she's hurrying back home, she hears her crystal ball tinkling away in her bag. Though she's only a few blocks away from her home, she pauses in the middle of the empty street to answer. She slips her crystal ball open and answers the oncoming call, walking backwards a little towards an empty bench on the side of the street.

In the surface of the crystal ball, a girl can be seen. She's evidently in her kitchen, having set her crystal ball on the counter while she eats cereal standing in her pink and white rabbit-print pyjamas. Her glasses slide down her nose and she pushes them up with the handle of her spoon. "Hey, Mo," she says casually.

Momoko smiles. "Good morning, Yuuki," she says, but her face looks decidedly saddened.
Yuuki tilts her head as she sets down her cereal bowl. "You...don't look right. What's up?" She asks.
"Ah..." Momoko trails off, looking away as she wipes her forehead with her sleeve. "Nothing. I'm fine. Why'd you call?" She answers, voice dragging on every word more than it usually would for the cheery Momoko.

Yuuki's face turns stone cold, carefully examining each aspect of Momoko's obvious lie. "Something's up. I'll be over in ten minutes." She declares, and before Momoko can get another word in she's hung up.
Momoko groans and tips her head back, letting her crystal ball drop into her lap. 'Damn you, Yuuki, damn you!' She thinks, pushing herself up to her feet. There's no way to get away from Yuuki when she thinks that there's something amiss, but that doesn't mean that she isn't going to try.

'I'm fine, honest!' Momoko texts.
'9 mins' Yuuki texts back instantly, and then goes offline.

With a defeated sigh, Momoko drops her crystal ball into her bag and speed-walks back home. She lets herself in and finds that she's home alone, her mother and father both having gone to work. She leaves the door unlocked for Yuuki to just let herself in, and she hurries upstairs, hoping to mash together some sort of 'today has been entirely normal' look. She changes into her pyjamas and puts her hair down, using her hair brush to mess it up a little. Then she rushes back downstairs to the living room, picking up her crystal ball and sitting on the couch, doing her best to look casual.

In this moment where she's alone, Momoko's thoughts go to Amiko. She cups a hand over her forehead as she thinks. "A bloody criminal..." she mumbles to herself, but stops before she can think anything more. How could she know that she was a criminal, really? The official had just said that she was wanted for questioning. She soon enough stops herself. Why would they want her for questioning if she wasn't suspicious? She had to have done something.

The thing was, whatever she had done couldn't have been all too bad. She didn't look the strongest, and didn't seem capable of anything like terrorism. Maybe it was a non-murderous crime, like fraud or petty theft. That didn't make her feel any better. She'd been paired up with some sort of criminal for an exam! Any number of things could have happened, and she felt so relieved that nothing had. She had stood right next to a criminal, but the worst part was that she quite liked her.

A minute later, the door opens as Yuuki lets herself in. She's dressed in a pair of navy flare jeans, a mint green t-shirt, some dark green trainers and glasses with mossy green frames. Her hair is in a high ponytail and she's wearing a dark green baseball cap. She walks immediately into the living room and gives Momoko a look. "What's up?" She asks again, sitting close to Momoko on the couch with her feet pulled up onto the seat.

Momoko shakes her head. "I told you, nothing!" She says lightheartedly.
"But you've changed your hair. And your clothes." As if to indicate, she picks at the neckline of Momo's pyjamas. "So, I'm willing to bet that something's happened that you don't want to talk about, so you want to make it look like you've been inside all day."
Momoko tries to play off Yuuki's observations with laughs, but it all sounds too forced. The silence stretches out, and eventually Momoko sighs.

"Something did happen, but I'm not supposed to tell you." She admits quietly.
Yuuki lifts her head a little in curiosity. "Is it to do with the exam?" She asks, pointing to the letter on the other side of the couch.
Momoko chews the inside of her cheek. "Kinda," she mumbles after a pause. "An official guy said that I should keep it to myself, or something like that."
Yuuki screws her face up and stands up. "Then we'll go to an Illusionspace, and I'll just forget it after." She offers, pulling Momoko up to her feet.
Momoko shakes her head. "What's the point of telling you, then?" She asks as Yuuki takes her by the hand and leads her upstairs, towards the room that was filled with solely Illusionspaces.
"I don't care about gossip. I can just give you advice." Yuuki replies as she opens the door.

The inside of the room would appear a little odd to anyone with no context. It's empty, apart from wooden cubby holes lining the walls. Each cubby holds an item, which eludes to whatever Illusionspace is behind it. One of the cubbies holds a porcelain horse, another has a thick encyclopaedia, one has a climbing helmet, and so on and so forth. The massive amount of Illusionspaces were due to Momoko's father's unwillingness to stop practicing his trade.

Yuuki walks over to one of the cubbies near the front of the room. She points to the insides - a large seashell. "Beach?" She asks, and Momoko nods. In perfect synchronisation, they reach out and place one finger onto the shell's smooth surface.

The next second, they're both on the beach, Momoko still in her pyjamas. Her bare toes sink into the pale sand and she laughs at the sensation. "I haven't been here in forever," she remarks, turning to look out at the beautiful, shimmering blue sea.
Yuuki laughs. "I've missed it," she admits, rubbing the toe of her shoe into the sand.
They stand in silence for a moment, before Momoko turns to Yuuki. "Let's start walking and I'll start talking." She says, hooking Yuuki's arm with her own.
Yuuki chuckles. "Speak at will."

It takes around ten minutes for Momoko to explain everything, and by the end she's sniffling a little. "I mean, I obviously didn't know her for that long, but she was really nice and I thought we were gonna be friends, or something."
Yuuki pats Momoko's shoulder comfortingly. "I understand." Yuuki says quietly, nodding her head knowingly.
"I mean...a criminal." Momoko breathes. "What if she was a murderer? What if she got angry during the exam and killed me?" She asks pointless questions.
"She doesn't seem like a murderer," Yuuki points out. "Most murderers are sociopaths or psychopaths. She doesn't-"
"Doesn't seem like that! At all." Momoko finishes. "I just feel...wronged. By Amiko and by the officials." She sighs. "I mean, how could she not tell me that one little bit of vital information? I trusted her!"
Yuuki sighs and shakes her head. "Criminals are-"
"-deplorable?"
There's a long pause. "...complicated."

Momoko tilts her head and furrows her brow. "What do you mean?"
Yuuki shifts, as if she's uncomfortable. "If she was nice to you before, maybe she did it to protect you, or something. Maybe if she told you you would have been arrested along with her."

The two keep on walking along the beach in silence, until Momoko stops. "I think it's time to go." She announces.
Yuuki nods. "Alright." And without another word more, they're back in the Illusionspace room.

Momoko eyes Yuuki for a moment as she blinks to clear her fuzzy vision. "Remember that?" She asks.
Yuuki considers this, then shakes her head. "Nope. Did I say anything dumb?"
Momoko hesitates, thinking hard for a few seconds. "Yeah - one thing - but don't worry about it."
"Sorry about that, then. Are you feeling better, though?" She asks.
Another pause. "Yeah." Momoko lies. "Thanks. I think I'm...gonna go for a nap now."
"I'll see myself out, then." Yuuki says, and just one minute later she's walking down the road back towards her home.

Momoko steps away from the front door and locks it. She rubs her forehead, moaning softly. The prospect of Amiko having protected her was...scary. Could she have seriously been jailed if Amiko had told her the truth? She really doesn't want to think about it. She walks up the stairs and across the hall to her lavish bedroom, with it's four poster bed, velvet curtains, thick duvet, feather pillows and mattress for a king. She doesn't bother to do anything else except for fall into the covers, but for ages she can't sleep. She can only think about Amiko, and she's the last thing she thinks about before she finally drifts off.

Last edited:
The next day, Momoko, regardless of if she feels up to it, knows that she'll have to get in at least a single training match. Fortunately, finding opponents in the arena seemed to be a simple task. Momoko seemed fairly popular since her debut. Several of the new girls expressed getting excited watching her in the practical exam. Particularly, they commended her for her ability to block sniper fire and delay the enemy even when the map favored the enemy. The discussion eventually leads to one of the girl's challenging her and losing in a timely fashion. Momoko might start to realize, she was performing well above the rest of her class, and her matches were already getting ten spectators. The feeling of being watched constantly loomed over her. At first it was easy to dismiss it as the curiosity of those around her, but eventually, the feeling became too pervasive to ignore. Someone was following her.

Momoko went through the day acting cheery, but still retaining some of the previous days bitter betrayal in her heart. She was thankful for the other girls, since as long as she could chat with someone she wouldn't be thinking about Amiko. It had been a struggle to not say 'thanks, but Amiko did the most of it', out of fear that mentioning her would bring up questions that she would have to improvise an answer to. Though she was glad she didn't have to think about Amiko, the feeling of being watched started to get worse.

Even when she should have been alone, she felt eyes on her. Hell, she went to the bathroom and still had the uneasy feeling. She walked out of the women's room and glanced at her watch. 11:35, and she was feeling peckish. Her breakfast that morning should have been grand, but she didn't eat much. Thankfully, she'd had the foresight to pack herself something.

She walked down the halls of the arena until she came across an empty bench. She gave a satisfied sigh as she sat down and opened up her bag, the same one from the previous day. She pulled out a plastic box, containing a fruit salad preserved in pink lemonade. She smiled as she pulled out a fork, opened up the box and started to eat. She had barely got a slice of apple in her mouth when she had to look up. Even though the corridor was mostly empty, with one or two other workers and a few hopeful Illusionspace programmers, she still had that nagging feeling. She put her food down on her lap and stopped eating, sitting still as she watched the people in the area.

Almost like a jumpscare cut, Momoko finds yet another girl with purple eyes. She wasn't doing anything suspicious, simply eating a burger with a fizzy drink on the side, but the mere fact that she was sitting right next to Momoko without any precursor showed the terrifying stealth which this girl must be capable of. Not missing a beat, the girl holds a casual conversation, "You've been pretty anxious since then. Is it really that hard for you to overlook?"

Momoko nearly jumps out of her skin at the sight of the girl. For a few seconds, she can do nothing but smack her lips together in bewilderment, but finally she finds her words. She clears her throat. "What...what do you mean?" She asks slowly, looking down into her fruit salad. Was this girl talking about...Amiko? "Who are you?"

The white haired girl shakes her head, speaking in a scolding tone, "You know I can't just talk about that in public. Have some sense of where you are." Seemingly annoyed by the question the girl takes a sip of her drink before continuing to speak, "Who I am isn't really important right now. What is important is everyone's feelings. And right now, you are upset. I'm also upset, and so I am here. That's just how people are."

Momoko raises her eyebrows in surprise. "Uh...I don't think it is?" She had thought that she was hiding any signs of upset quite well. "A-anyways, how did you..." she looks up and down the corridor, "uh...get here? Like, without me...noticing." She speaks very slowly, but at the same time it's obvious that she's trying not to look like an idiot.

The girl smiles, poking Momoko in the cheek, "Don't say that like it was some sort of accomplishment. It's really easy to sneak up on people who have such a lack of awareness for what's going on around them. Plus, you have a bad habit of asking the wrong questions. Also, you don't have even the slightest sense of danger. Like, why are you relieved enough to just hold a casual conversation with me. You should know I've been stalking you, right? You aren't stupid enough to not know at least that much, right?" Once again stopping to take a sip from her drink, "I swear, I have no idea what she sees in you. It's seriously frustrating you know?"

Momoko's face turns up, obviously offended. "You're just so friendly, aren't you?" She mutters as she slips the lid back into the plastic tub. "If I see you again today, I'm reporting you to the authorities." She threatens, loud enough for the other people in the immediate area to hear. With that, she drops her fruit salad back into her bag and starts to walk off.

The purple eyed girl calls out to her through the crowd, "Be mad at me all you like, but you can't just pretend that you aren't bothered by what is going on. The next time we meet, you'll be looking for me, and you won't even know my name at this rate."

Momoko hesitates, and then stops. She turns around to look at the girl, who was increasingly getting on her nerves. "Tell me your blasted name then." She hissed, taking a few steps towards the girl.

The mysterious girl laughs to herself for a bit before giving Momoko a straight answer, "Normally I'd wait for you to give a proper introduction, but this time I'll let it slide. Just this once, I'll do a proper introduction on your behalf." Switching to a more innocent expression than the snarky, annoyed one she'd been wearing up to this point, "Hello. My name is Marcy. And you are?" Marcy extends her hand out.

Momoko's face breaks into a small smile when she finally gets her way. "What, like Marceline?" She jokes, but then remembers that she's meant to be serious. She takes the girls hand and shakes it, just once, and very firmly. "Momoko. But I have a feeling you know that already." She says tentatively.

Looking off to the side bashfully, "I do. But it's still important. It's a matter of respect, you know? People are stupid, so if you don't give them something to hold onto, they won't understand how you feel." Turning to face Momoko directly, "Anyway, if you get it, can you at least understand what I want from you?"

Momoko lets go of Marcy's hand quickly, and then folds her arms. She hesitates before answering, and then sits down. "What's to say that you're not a criminal, like she was?" She whispers, looking deep into Marcy's eyes to try and catch any traces of a lie. Even if she did lie, Momoko probably wouldn't notice.

Marcy looks Momoko straight in the eyes, "I won't lie to you. I committed a crime very early in my life. It isn't something I'm just going to talk about, but you at least get to know so much as that. It's definitely possible that I'm a bad person. I don't really know anymore... But, that doesn't change the way that I feel about you, nor the way that I feel about her. But, once again you manage to ask the wrong questions." Placing her hand on Momoko's shoulder, "I want to earn your trust, and become friends, so that you can come to understand why Amiko did what she did."

Momoko stares down at her knee, and her leg that's bobbing up and down anxiously. "I still don't know what she actually did." She points out. "I mean, crime-wise. What got her detained." She places one hand on her knee to press it down to the ground. "So, tell me that first. And don't talk about my trust like it's some sort of game."

"Well, I obviously can't tell you that here, and even if I did, would you believe me? This isn't a game." Marcy once again extends her hand, "You have to follow me if you want those sort of answers, and you need to trust me to do that, you know? Didn't you feel something when you were with her, when you fought alongside her, when she left you?"

Momoko tentatively looks at Marcy's hand. "How am I meant to trust you if you're keeping stuff from me?" She almost adds 'like she did', but decides against it last second. She folds her arms again and crosses her legs, going on the defensive. "Don't think so." She answers without thinking too much about it. "Except that I recognised her. But we know why that was, don't we?"

Back