Stahlhiem: College of Magic (Rebooted!) IC

Simon - 2nd year class

Simon scoffed, Was the old teacher serious "With all due respect" he said with as much respect you'd expect from a sarcastic asshole "This is first-year stuff. I mean everybody knows it's because even the smallest use of magic can cause chaotic side effects to both the mage and anybody in the immediate vicinity. There's no actual way to completely remove the chance a mage blows his head open or summons a demon so magic is used to scarcely"

Heinrich - 2nd Year Class

"Yes that is true, but as with any trade, you must never forget why you are here. You are here to learn how to control your powers to benefit the empire however you can, but years surrounded by peers with such powers, it is easy to forget that you are the minority, that individually can hold the lives of a dozen men. When you forget why you are here, and whom you serve, you become rude, arrogant, self serving and sarcastic. Those mages who become such will find themselves dead or hunted within the first decade of graduation." He told the class.

Simon - 2nd Year Class

Simon feigned offense "I wouldn't really call myself self-serving but yeah you've basically hit the nail on the head there" the young mage felt he needed to add more and his tone became slightly more serious "But I am being blunt with you when I say this is all first year theory" he gestured wildly "after the year we've been in I think everybody here knows the dangers inherent in being a mage and this spite isn't just about that, Ulrich knows I'm pissed about something else, but we've reviewed so many notes on theory I don't know if we can actually learn any more from these" Simon stood up, he didn't know why he'd been so riled up "After so long in this school if anybody hasn't learned not to be an asshole morally then we're all just wasting time" then he'd realized it wasn't just about Coro "Every day the Mad Queen rallies her army of abominations. Every day brave men and women lead the charge, dying so we can what?! waste our time learning ethics we've already learned. There's death everywhere HELL there's a major military conflict every day and we need to get stronger. We can't just wait until war is at our door because it already is, and we need to train how to use our powers now"

Coro- second year class

Coro had yet to say a single word in the class yet. 'hmmm rude... not really arrogant nope self serving defiantly fits me.. sarcastic thats simons job.' coro was surprised when simon kept talking back to the teacher but agreed with him none the less. "I agree with him this is pointless going over what we had learned our first year."

Master Heinrich - 2nd Year Classroom

The master took a second's pause before addressing Stoic. "What is your name student? Since you have decided to take center stage, might as well forgo any sort of secrecy between us."

Master Volker - 1st Year Classroom

"Answer student. Don't make the class wait around." The maged ordered Kodner

Simon - 2nd Year Classroom

"My name is Simon Miller but that's not important" The young mage knew why he had this outburst "I was never being secretive at all because everybody knows what I say to be true" he gestured at his fellow classmates "Every student in this room know it to be true. Every student in this room has seen violence and death. Every student in this room knows how it feels to be confused and afraid" he let the silence hang heavy for a moment "Every student in this room knows it because every student in this room is alive today and every student in this room was alive during Ashbore" That place, The battle, He never felt so useless until that day "Not every student might know it but I know that that was barely even enough to be considered a conflict. People died... Blood splattered the walls, a fire raged on a desolate town and lives were lost" by now Simon's voice was cracking, the memories coming back to his head, the violence "Sometimes I look back and I think- NO I'm certain that if I was strong then fewer people would have died... But I wasn't and now I know we can't just keep wasting time like this because at any moment right now shit will hit the fan and we need to be damn well sure we're ready"

"The School of Nature can benefit farmers with malnourished soil or crops during droughts." Kodner answered.

Coro - second year classroom

Coro stayed silent after simons speech mainly because he had already covered anything she could have said.

Master Voker - 1st Year Classroom

"Correct." Said the Master "However can anyone tell me why there isn't a bountiful harvest every year? Why famines within the Empire can and still happen to this very day?" He asks

The classrom erupted into murmurs as Simon said his speech. The Mage admires the student's dedications and goals, but he still needed to teach the boy reality. With a simple wave of his hand he quiet down the class before speaking. "....is that so Simon Miller. You wish to become stronger so that you can prevent the deaths of others? And when would that happen hmm? When you can no longer can feel useless?" His tone became harsher and louder as he continued. "When you can cut down undead like wheat? When you can do that then what?! Once you achieve victory then what will happen?! The Empire has enemies within and around all sides! What happens when Britain decides to attack is in our weakened state? What happens if the Nug Tribes decide to rally and invade? And what happens if the High King were to fall in battle, and the Empire descends into a state of civil warring, what then!? You will be ordered to turn those skill that you honed onto your fellow man! You will be ordered to reap men and women charging to their deaths like grain! To raise their bodies into hellish abominations and when you do, you will feel guilt. For years and years you shall kill and kill and kill and one day you wander the battlefield you see the dying and dead faces of the people you wished to keep from death in the first place, and you will feel nothing. Why? Because you forgot why you fight. You forgot what you have decided to become this powerful in the first place. It has become lost in the barking of orders and the screams of the brave." The class becomes silent after the Master's speech. The man soon continued but was more somber and quiet. "After you slaughter hundreds, perhaps thousands, you return to home to find that towns had begun rounding up and quartering the magically gifted. Witch Hunters and Ulmaric Templars now hunt all mages and the college being burnt to the ground as the townsfolk now fear magic. They do not understand nor want its potentially wonderful gifts, so they simply destroy it." He finished.

Simon - 2nd Year Classroom

Simon wanted to laugh, not just of how insane the old teacher's speech was but because it made no sense to him at all "HahahAHhaha" he clapped at the well worded if illogical speech "Then what do we do? What you said is already happening, People HATE mages but assuming your insane and theoretical view of a cynical and dystopian future could happen I NEED to try anyway. No matter what happens even if I can't, I need to try to save people. You mistake me if you think I don't know that even more war could happen if the Mad Queen dies, But you know what? It Will happen and truly whether anybody in this room joins that war doesn't matter because sooner or later it will happen. But we have the strength to make it happen faster. We have the potential to do so much greatness and I for one won't just stand by because some people don't like me or we MIGHT have a world war once the Queen is dead. It will happen, The Mad Queen will die and not solving a problem because it MIGHT cause another is insane. To quote Marke Whatney an explorer trapped in uncharted territory for more than a year "At some point, everything's gonna go south on you...everything's going to go south and you're going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That's all it is. You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem...and you solve the next one...and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home" You need to keep solving problems, to keep growing, to keep moving forward and after a while, after you've made a thousand small steps trying to make the world better, after seeing time and time again how little you've done you can look around and see that you have actually , somehow made this shitty world a better place if only by a little."

coro- second year class

coro was very impressed with simon at the moment for speaking his mind and just so happened to be coros as well. 'It would be great if the queen died but even more war would follow after kinda ironic really... there is also the possibility that the queen finally takes down the empire if that happens everyone loses but her. So either everyone go's back to killing each other and die or we all die because of a common enemy sounds so hopeful...'

"You ask me what do we do and I shall tell you that in these times the best thing to do is to sit down and learn. Learn how to treat your fellow man. Learn how to keep yourself sane after centuries of war. " He told Simon. "Knowledge is power, and it is knowledge that keeps us safe. Knowledge is the only thing that can very well bring this land together for knowledge takes no sides. You wish to take a thousand steps for a better world, but a better world for whom? The Empire believes that a better world would be one where mankind stands at the seat of power. Britain believes that the world should be under the rule of kings, lords and nobles with the Grail Lady watching over them. The Wastelanders wish for the world to be diseased and filled with mutated creatures and for the Mad Queen a better world is one where the living exists underneath an unbeating thumb. I can tell you, not from the excerpt from a journal but from experience that many share your sentiments Mr. Miller.

Many who wish and are taking the first of the thousands of steps to making a world a better place, but the question always exists. 'Who shall partake in your better world?' In your world would Britain allow the Empire to continue to advance their technology or would the Empire allow the Undead to exist within her borders. Until those and many more questions can be answered all you can do is sit and listen to theories."

Simon- 2nd year classroom

Simon finally uderstood what the teacher was saying "You're aftaid that if people move too fast then they forget why they did what they did in the first place... That's honestly an understable worry and I have other thoughts on the mattet but we've taken up half the class debating speed and security"

Master Heinrich - 2nd Year Class

"...That is one way to interpret this yes." The Mage walks back to his desk and leans against the wall. "As you all may know I am not an old man. Such a heated debate has left me rather exhausted. I think this it would be beneficial for everyone to end class. But before you leave I am to give you forms for visitation rights to the Kingdom of Britain." The master takes out a bunch of forms from his desk. "There is going to be field trip to the Britainnian lands, to establish trust between the two nations. If you wish to join then hand in your sheets to me within the week and a month later you'll be on carriages to the Britainnian outskirts."

Simon - 2nd Year

Simon was giddy with excitement, his outburst had somehow worked out so much better that he expected. "Fuck Yeah I just debated the class into an early lunch, Hey Coro you want to go out to that cafe before I have to go to work" He whispered to his wolf classmate

coro- second year class

Coro chuckles at simon. "sure sure but your paying for it. speaking of work how is it going?"

Simon-2nd year class

Simon walked with Coro out of the classroom "It's doing pretty well actually" he gave a giant grin "There's this girl at work, her names Rosaline and she's the daughter of the guy that runs the shop. We're actually pretty close and one time at dinner she told me she's trying to get her dad to open up another branch in another city and expand business here in Stahlheim which is great for me since I'm pretty sure i'd be on their top five if they need a manager. For if they do open up another shop in Stahlheim I mean."

coro- second year class

Coro playfully nudges simon. "a girl huh? Soooooooooooo you like her eh? Cmon tell me everything please?"

Simon- Stahlheim Hallway

Simon chuckled "Yup, She's Really hot and I mean Really with a capital R. She's also smart enough to be mixing potions and basically running the shop" he nudged Coro and smiled widely "Maybe I can introduce you I'm sure you'll like her"

Back