The knocking of War on the city gates.

MJK2431

✿❀❁
Azra stood back from the table, nimble fingers brushing across her eyebrows before she flicked wheat-coloured locks from her tanned face. She bit her lip, groaning once again before throwing her hands into the air.

This isn't going to work! How am I meant to even pull this off!

The female looked over to the outfit on the table once more, the men's leather pants and grubby cotton top baggy enough to hide her feminine figure. It had been tailored to fit her, the sleeves shortened and matching jacket trimmed so that the clothing wouldn't appear as if it had been taken off a dead body.

Which it had.

It early evening, with only an hour or two to go before she needed to infiltrate the enemy camp on the other side of the river. Many men had volunteered for the job, but it was ultimately her ability to squeeze between the impossibly small spaces in the fences surrounding the northern armies encampment that got her picked above the others.

The only problem...she was a female. A female who was about to Try and blend into a group of burly soldiers in an all-men army. The northern forces didn't think much of women having a place in battle. That's where the clothing was supposed to help. It wasn't whether the clothing would look right that Azra was worried about...the clothes had been taken from one of the dead Northern soldiers whose corpse had been pulled inside the city's gates after their last attempted raid. It's just that she was beginning to judge just exactly how insane she was for raising her hand to help her city's forces in the first place.

The northern army had been stationed outside her city of Karseth for months now, the city being the initial buffer into the southern regions. Once the north had seized Karseth, they could begin their gradual conquering of the entire region. That would be fine and dandy, were it not for the plans they had to rip away their resources and leave the southerners starving, homeless and poor.

Karseth had lost most of it's tar, archers and magic-infused arrows with the raid earlier that day. If they planned to outlast the struggling army outside their gates, they needed to know what the northern forces next move would be so that the southern city could smartly ration their remaining resources.

That's where she came in. She needed to sneak in and observe what their next action would be by listening in to the troops conversations.

Azra's emerald eyes scanned over the clothes before her, rubbing the sleeve of the jacket between her fingers before her pupils narrowed. A determined expression overcame her as she placed her hands on her hips.

"I can do this...I have to. I'm the only one who can sneak in and out without being noticed while simultaneously having knowledge of northern strategy."

She reached behind her, unknotting the string being used to hold the bodice of her dress closed. She would have to hurry of she wished to not need the light of a candle to change by as well as being done in time to leave before the end of twilight.

Back