The Last Heroes' Guild The Last Heroes' Guild [OOC and Meta]

Ha. The Nugs seem somewhat comical, yet formidable. I could see them existing as one of the nations that exist very far from the capital where the Ruler of the new world has his capital. I haven't fleshed out the leader much yet, but I do know that physical strength or even logistics wouldn't really stop him from attempting to annihilate a country that doesn't conform. It would mostly be a matter of distance.

The concept of distance being preventative may be something I tie into teleportation magic. Bad guy here has no teleportation magic so he can't instantly move armies around. We were teleported to this planet via a portal from the Old World. There's something there, I just haven't tied it together yet.

Still, the Nugs could definitely exist. It may actually be very near to the place we start in the New World.

As for the Void Born there are a few things to address. I don't think the Ruler or Tyrant has been in control for thousands of years. If he had been, then his control on even the furthest nations would be nearly absolute. I'm thinking only maybe 10 years of being complete ruler so far. Preceded by maybe 100 or so years of taking over nations one-by-one.

Also, as for draining magic completely, I think we need to cover a little more of how magic works before we can either confirm or deny this as being a thing. I could see that being a powerful ability, which is cool, just want to make sure it's not too powerful since magic is extremely prominent in this world and with the heroes.

Aside from that, it sounds good so far.

Right-o friend. I'll change around the Void Born as time goes by to fit the world. If you have any questions about Nugs or Void Born just ask.

I'd love to take part in this, and I've a few ideas as to how magic would work.

Since someone mentioned coding, I thought encryption and locks and thought; what if the New World was a bit like a super fancy puzzle as far as its magic and life essence works? To rule over the entire world would mean solving/unlocking it, with really old ruins and tricky events having to be combed through. We could even think up various legends and rumors out of that. Thoughts?

More like the latter, so the more you unlock the more you get to understand/get accepted by/can handle the strain of magic/the lifestream/whatever we think of as a source or name.

I see? I still don't get it completely but I think I got the gist? So you go around to various ruins and such/pieces of literature and as you solve the various puzzles you unlock more abilities/increase magical capabilities?

Yeah, maybe with some effect on where you can use your full powers thrown in. Unlocking this gives some insight into this or that sort of magic school as well as removing funky effects in that general area, if that makes sense?

That makes sense. It seems rather unique but it doesn't really say how magic itself works. Like is it going to be like Harry Potter series where magic is just there and only certain people can use it, or is it going to be like the Elder Scrolls, where everyone can use it, it's just that some people are inherently better at it then other and/or capable of honing their abilities with time, practice and talent.

I totally just compared it to gathering the Shouts in Skyrim to become more powerful in my head. XD I like that. It makes it a lot more about actually understanding what magic is and does. I'd have to figure out a way to tie that in with dragon magic, since their magic comes from themselves.

I totally just compared it to gathering the Shouts in Skyrim to become more powerful in my head. XD I like that. It makes it a lot more about actually understanding what magic is and does. I'd have to figure out a way to tie that in with dragon magic, since their magic comes from themselves.

You know if you're going to make dragons inherently magical, then how about dragons just instinctively know how/knows some of the answers to unlock magic.

That could certainly. I was toying with an idea that dragons actually pass their knowledge on to their offspring so it is never lost, simply hidden for a time until said offspring reaches an age and maturity of thinking that they can rediscover it. Not sure.

Hi!
I apologize for not getting to this sooner ...
But here goes.
If you're familiar with RWBY, I was kinda thinking that weapons could work that way? Like using some sort of magic item that allows for the weapon (or something, I'll still have to check) to properly work. Of course, there is going to be boosts and power ups.

Magic may be innate, however, not everyone can have access to it (think Squibs from Harry Potter where they have magical cores but cannot use it), but with an magical item, they may be able to access their magical cores for a short time, and only for something small (like maybe blast a rock or something).

And the strength of a magical core may depend on a race (i.e. elves, humans, etc), this may be because of their level of being naturally attuned to the Ley Lines of the New World. And others, who may have been able to easily use their magic before, have to struggle to access the natural Ley Lines to kind of sync with their cores.

That could certainly. I was toying with an idea that dragons actually pass their knowledge on to their offspring so it is never lost, simply hidden for a time until said offspring reaches an age and maturity of thinking that they can rediscover it. Not sure.

Also, this one has merit? Considering how in mythology, dragons are seen as Ancient beings who have been in this world for so long that they have accumulated so much knowledge. Of course, like everything else, they might also die. So they pass on their knowledge (how, we still have to figure out maybe), to their offspring (if they have one) or another fledgling dragon (if they don't have an offspring).

I may adjust this depending on you guys ideas as well.

I actually really like the idea that in this New World everyone has the potential for magic, but not everyone can directly utilize it. Maybe there's an alternative for people who are exceptionally strong magically but can't tap into it themselves; perhaps they make pacts with entities for such boons? I could totally see that as being one of the many tools at the Tyrant/Ruler's disposal for overthrowing the realm as a whole and keeping a solid iron grip on their regime -- promising people power beyond measure and binding powerful magical McGuffins to them in exchange for their eternal service. This makes "magic" in the New World something of an actual, physical commodity; one the Tyrant has in excess and can use as currency to levy servitude and raise exceptionally powerful armies quickly to ensure a continued and secured dictatorship. Would also explain why they're so up in arms about the Nugs and the culinary witchcraft, as it's the kind of bizarrely innate magic that they can't monetize for powerful personal gains!

As far as a character concept, I think I sort of want to do something more rogue-ish in lieu of my traditional magical fanfare. A clever, guileful sort of hero who relies on equal parts stealth, wit, and an array of tools to save the world on a regular basis. Likely more myth than man back home in the Old World, now somewhat jaded but still trying desperately to fight the good fight... maybe even doing so with the express intent to one day get back home. Dunno. I'll ponder it a bit more and see where it takes me as far as providing a solid personal agenda for said character.

Ah so to simplify magic is condensed into small...lets say coins to be simple, and those coins are used for both magic and currency, and those with a large amount of coins would be able to use more magic, meaning the economy literally runs on magic. And Nugs, since they have no need to those coins, would essentially throw the economy out of whack due to their use of unconventional magic.

Also, just thought of this now, Common Nug saying "If we can bleed it, we can eat it!"

This makes "magic" in the New World something of an actual, physical commodity; one the Tyrant has in excess and can use as currency to levy servitude and raise exceptionally powerful armies quickly to ensure a continued and secured dictatorship. Would also explain why they're so up in arms about the Nugs and the culinary witchcraft, as it's the kind of bizarrely innate magic that they can't monetize for powerful personal gains!

Ah so to simplify magic is condensed into small...lets say coins to be simple, and those coins are used for both magic and currency, and those with a large amount of coins would be able to use more magic, meaning the economy literally runs on magic. And Nugs, since they have no need to those coins, would essentially throw the economy out of whack due to their use of unconventional magic.

Yes, and maybe the Tyrant would be controlling the ciculation of "magic" in the New World. This is done so that there will be assurance that no one will be trying to start a revolution to overthrow the Tyrant.
The Nugs and the culinary witchcrafts may be needed to be constantly under watch (if such is possible) due to the fact they cannot be "monetized" for personal gains.

@seaciel I see. Also about if the watch thing is possible...maybe? Nugs are crazy strong, they live in rather mountainous areas, and if you anger a Nug they are liable to bash you over the head then add you to this afternoon's mystery meat. Also it is not culinary witchcraft, it is called Belch Magic, as the Nug Mage literally burps out a spell.

Double Also, I really hope Nugs become a thing now, cause I just want to create a list of all the races this world has and write down how the Nugs would prepare each and every one of them.

Noted! Sorry about that :")

About the watch thing, it's just an idea? Or if it was an actual thing, maybe it's just a casual watch like maybe they just do some rotational check up or something of that nature? I'm not entirely sure, but if we manage to think of a possible way to "control" them, then that would be nice :).

I want a Nug friend, imagine the fun during meals (lol)

Reactions: WiZ
Hey, I'm really interested in this, now that it's got this much attention.
I was thinking my character could be a "Manifestation" of the life energy that controls magic. Basically what this means is that it's a spirit that can enter inanimate objects and enchant them, or bring them to life. A good example of this would be a rock golem or a treant or a a water spirit.
So, you think this type of magic would be possible?

Okay, throwing together my key thoughts on dragons and what they are.

The center of a dragon is their Life Fire. I don't mean the literal center, but I mean it IS the dragon. Their life, their fire, their magic, their essence. This fire is encased in a special stone within their chest called the athanc, which is a protective shell around the fire. Once a dragon reaches their age of Twilight, or the beginning of their death, they make preparations. Most choose to die peacefully and let their fire burn out. However, some choose to have their athanc removed and preserved, technically living while their physical form dies. Most do not choose this, or at least don't remain in this state for long, as they will usually slowly fall in to madness.

In regards to their magic in the New World, I would assume it would react very differently to the new magic and environment, varying and going awry.

Their dragon form is their true form and therefore easiest for them to be in, while the human form is merely a facade and requires magic to maintain, though only a small bit of it.

As for how I picture them, a dragon has four legs and a pair of wings. A wyvern is two legs and a pair of wings. ^^

Back