The Vampire's Apprentice

Clancy glanced at her briefly before returning to the instructions on the can. "I cannot as I do not know what you did or did not see. You appeared to have been rather incapacitated." He carefully opened the can of noodle soup.

Keeping one's word was a difficult thing to do when you were trying to piece together events without accusing your savior of being something he clearly did not want to discuss. She'd have to ask for forgiveness.

"I saw you. That look you had... your teeth." Kitty poked a little further, trying not to say it outright. "Heard the bones crack." The memory made her flinch.

Clancy put the soup in the bowl, making a face at the disturbing gloop it made as it exited the can. He placed the bowl in the microwave and closed the door. Then he opened the door, placed a cover over the bowl, and closed it again. "That sounds disturbing and frightening," he said as he started the machine.

"Maybe a little...." She thought for a moment. "Depends on if I really saw that or not. Perhaps I didn't.... In which case, I admit to disappointment."

"That's not what I said." Kitty almost glowered at him. "I would be disappointed by the fact that I didn't find what I had been looking for. And, therefore, perhaps what I was looking for... doesn't exist."

"Ah, that is something that would be very disappointing," Clancy nodded. The microwave dinged, and he removed the hot soup. He set it before her and added a spoon. "Stir. I suppose you could analyse what exactly you were looking for in vampires, or what you wanted to find, and perhaps you can find answers elsewhere."

"But," Kitty continued, hearing his words and paying no heed to them as she picked up the spoon, swishing it around methodically in the bowl, "because what exactly I was looking for never existed to begin with... I... where was I going with that phrase...?"

Kitty sighed, set the spoon down, and shifted to look at him. "You're a vampire, and my expectations were skewed from the start. So I'm sorry."

Clancy watched her quietly, one pale brow rising at her decloration. "You do not actually listen to the words being said often times, do you?" he commented. Then he pulled out a chair and sat down. "You are apologizing because your expectations were skewed?"

"You haven't refuted me," Kitty watched him, admittedly a little nervous at having said that herself. It was also partially to not wanting to answer his question that she tried to twist the subject slightly.

He clicked his tongue in disapproval. "Are we really back to that again? I had thought we were past that." He sighed. "Finish your soup. You need sleep."

She grumbled and shoved a spoonful into her mouth. They were past that... but he still hadn't refuted her.

Or eaten her.

Maybe there was still hope.

"You will stay here while you recover," Clancy said, watching her. "You are free to go about as you please, but I do ask you stay out of my bedroom. There are books you may read, and these ones do not have a due date." He gave her a little smile.

"In truth, I have a bit of fondness for books written by one Terry Pratchett, but no particular favorite," he told her. "And you?"

She munched on another bite of soup while she thought. Finally, she shrugged. "I dunno. They're all good in some way or another."

"Agreed."

It appeared the bowl was fairly empty. Kitty wasn't one to eat slowly, though she did try. At the least, she was not a messy person if it could be helped. Sandwiches being the exception.

"Do you happen to have those books you mentioned.... Jekyll and Hyde? And the island of somewhere or other?"

Back