The Vampire's Apprentice

"I will ask you to do mostly chores and errands around the house, particularly during the day," Clancy told her. "Exactly what those chores are shall likely vary from day to day, but they shall consist of things like shopping, dealing with governmental issues that cannot be taken care of online, and things to that nature. You may have one day off a week to do as you wish, as well as whatever time leftover during the day or night when you have finished your chores. I have no doubt you will have much free time some days and be kept very busy others. It will be a bit awkward at first as I have never had an assistant, but I do have need of one, and I have no doubt we shall learn to get along. In return, you will receive an allowance along with room and board and a certain amount of protection. Also." He paused and looked at her directly. "You may ask me three questions a day concerning a specific topic with the understanding that there are some questions that I cannot answer at all or will not answer until I have learned to trust you more. Three questions a night. That is all. If there are any attempts to prove or disprove by means of clever tricks, such as leaving garlic around or handing me a cup of holy water, our situation shall be terminated. Otherwise, it shall continue as long as you are content in your employment."

Kitty chewed on her thumb, thinking long and hard about it all. No clever tricks, three questions, chores, errands, free time-

"
Okay."

((Congratulations on post number 222!))

Clancy raised an eyebrow. "Okay? No attempt at bartering? You do not need time to think or weigh your options?" Which, he knew, he had just listed off as being very few to no choices, but the choice to leave was still a choice.

((Lol))

"I can't really think of anything to barter with." Kitty shrugged. "I don't feel the need to prove or disprove anything, and I'm content as long as I'm alive. It's adventure. Though, I have a question."

"Will I ever be fed off of?" It was an attempt to state her question as bluntly as possible. There wasn't much point in beating around the bush when asking, she figured, as she did seriously want to know.

"I cannot promise never, but I doubt it. Only in a case of strong need, and not without consent. As long as I am in a position to ask consent," Clancy replied, not bothering to try to dodge that particular question.

"Yes. Rest up and heal. You are still very I'll and weak. I have no use for you if you are not at your best," Clancy said matter of fact. "Once you are stronger, then you will go buy food for yourself as well as clothing."

He definitely had a point, and she agreed. Nothing good would come from jumping the gun too early. Kitty gathered up her nest and set about trying to make the bed again. It was a tad strange to see, considering how small she was in comparison to it.

Clancy rose to move out of her way. "I must work, but if you have need of anything, please let me know. I would rather be interrupted with a need then see a Mesa as you tried to find something or make do without."

"Okay." Kitty answered. Her ears had deceived her, but that was alright. Probably just tired. "Thank you, Mr. Clancy, for letting me stay here. I don't know what would've happened to me if I hadn't met you. Alone. At night. In the dark. In the middle of a park."

Clancy smiled faintly then bowed. "You are very welcome. And Clancy is my first name. McCleary is my second."

"Mmm, red and blue about equally, I would believe, though I am not prejudiced toward my colors," Clancy said after a moment of thought.

"Fair enough." The bed was in somewhat neat order if not made at all, though Kitty seemed satisfied with its current state and pulled herself beneath the covers. "Goodnight, Mr. McCleary."

"Good night, Miss Kitty," Clancy replied calmly. He shut the bedroom door and went to work. Before he went to bed, he left a note on Kitty's door to be certain to eat properly that day and to avoid going outside, at least for that day. He would talk to her more come nightfall.

It wasn't even ten by the time Dracula sat atop the other two books underneath the window. She would have to find another book or craft to occupy her time with. That, and see if there was some cold medicine around. Not that she needed it; having experience with colds in the past meant it was likely to last only a couple more days, but still, work was greatly preferable to sitting idly.

Kitty glanced at the note again. Perhaps now would be a good time to eat lunch. Then she could find another book to read.

Canned soup. For certain, the next time she was able to wander through the town, something fresh was going to be at the top of the list. Canned anything was never a substitute for a fresh carrot or some cheese.

Ooh, that was definitely her mother talking. There was no mistaking that common sense when it came to making meals. Kitty scowled as she gently took the bowl out of the microwave and set it on the table. Where had she seen spoons...?

Staying inside was the one thing Kitty couldn't follow his advice on. The afternoon air was lovely, and since she could sit on the porch steps, there wasn't much trouble when it came to exhaustion. Eventually, it grew dark enough to the point she was squinting to make out simple words on the book's pages, and she decided it was time to go back inside. Maybe she'd find some canned dinner.

Or a Clancy.

Back