The Vampire's Apprentice

"A shower, probably...." If there was one thing Kitty hated, it was feeling consistently grungy, which was pretty ironic all things considered. She stifled a yawn. "And maybe a promise I won't get eaten, but that's optional." She jested.

"The bathroom upstairs is equipped with one of those shower-bath things," Clancy told her. "As long as you do not have any special requirements in that reguards, there should be everything you need. As for not eating you... I make no promises to suspicious minds." He winked.

"I can walk." To prove her point, Kitty stood, though it gave her a head rush. She swayed for a moment. "Definitely fine...."

"Uh-huh, perfectly fine," Clancy said dryly. He watched her, not reaching out to help, though he'd catch her before her head hit the floor if need be.

She blinked while her vision cleared, then looked at him. Turning away, she found a path upstairs again. Hot water. Of all the things to look forward to, hot water was not what she had expected to be above everything else.

Clancy followed her and watched to make certain she was alright, then went to his computer. He booted up the three monitors and got to work. Numbers and symbols flashed in organized rows across the screen.

Sometimes, it's the little things that matter most. For once in a great while, Kitty had something to look forward to besides the sunset or a simple answer. She could be certain her toes wouldn't freeze in the night, her back wouldn't ache when she woke up. There wouldn't be dew dampening her clothes—though it didn't help she went to bed with wet hair. Life seemed hopeful. She only hoped it would last.

The next evening, Clancy rose early, forcing his natural clock to wake him while the sun was still peaking over the horizon. The night before, he'd made certain the curtains in the kitchen were closed and the door to his closet was locked. Now he rose cautiously then went straight to the bedroom, skipping fast to avoid the tiny beams of light leaking through. Once he was dressed in his blue suit once more - sans hat - he went upstairs to check on his guest.
"Miss Kitty?" he called.

There was a pause and a distracted, "Yeah?" as Kitty stuck her finger in between the pages of a book and looked up from it, towards the door. She'd taken the blankets off the bed and made a strange-looking nest beneath the window where she sat, a few books piled around her.

Last edited:
Clancy followed the voice then paused, looking at her. "You really are a cat, aren't you?" he said, looking her over. "Which book are you reading?"

"Currently? Dracula." She tapped the cover. "I finished the other two a while ago." Kitty pointed to the stack of books.

"I liked Jekyll and Hyde. It was confusing sometimes... and dark... especially at the end, which I didn't see coming. But it was fun seeing it all come together."

((This authoress has never actually read either of the books, so to give an opinion based of a summary skimmed once is quite difficult))

Clancy smiled briefly. "Jekyll and Hyde can be a difficult book to follow. I would suggest setting it aside and reading it again later. Details will make more sense once the broad idea has been established." He crossed his legs and laced his fingers together on his lap. "Now. There is a matter I wish to discuss with you. You may stay in your book fortress if you wish."

"Go ahead," Kitty checked the page number on Dracula for later and set it aside, devoting her attention to him but remaining within the safety of her reading nook.

"Thank you. The facts of the matter are this: You are alone, friendless, familyless, homeless, and jobless. As your current illness shows, if you continue on this path, I predict you will be dead before winter ends." He paused. "I can offer you a place to stay, a certain amount of friendship, a generous allowance or paycheck, freedom of most of the house, and a job. If you are even the slightest bit interested, we can talk details. If not, you are welcome to stay until you are healed." And then leave, was implied, but he did not say.

Kitty bit at her lip. "What are the details?" She had a very good hunch there was something he wasn't saying, or maybe it was her typical suspicion. Either way, when her life was lined out in such a blunt fashion, it was an option of live or die. Besides, she knew she was onto something. To leave now would be pointless and illogical, implied eviction or otherwise.

Back