The Vampire's Apprentice

"I made a few marks in certain places where you might wish to stop and look at particularly amusing things or eat or sleep," Clancy told her. "I see no reason to rush there."

She nodded again. "Makes sense, considering Sam might not enjoy being cooped up for long periods of time." Kitty glanced towards the hound. "Would you?"

Sam gave a little gruff and wiggled closer. Yes! Whatever she said, yes!

"Indeed," Clancy sighed. "Traveling with the dog is definitely going to be... interesting."

Kitty chuckled and rubbed Sam's head. "Aww, c'mon. You know you love him. Who wouldn't appreciate that silly mutt face?"

Sam looked up at Clancy. Clancy looked down at Sam. They stared.
"He has a blue line on his muzzle," Clancy pointed out blandly.

"Sooo?" Kitty asked, gaze shifting from the dog to the vampire. "You were the one who let me keep him in the first place. And he's saved our lives more than once, so there."

He heaved a sigh. "Alright, alright, this is true. I still don't have to like it. He stinks."
On cue, a foul odor drifted up from Sam.

Her nose crinkled. "Can't help you much there. Dogs will be dogs. Perhaps you're more of a cat person? Though, from the looks of it, I'd say you prefer fish; things to be seen and not touched."

"I mean if you had to have a pet, not that you would want one." Kitty restated. "Though I agree with you; fish don't make too much sense beyond they taste delicious...."

"Right." He shook his head. "In any case, I hope you enjoy your first road trip. I have put extra on your card in advance so you might have some fun. We have an eighteen-hour drive ahead of us, and I thought you might want to split that into two days, maybe three if you get tired."

"You do realize how dead you look when you're asleep, right?" She asked. "You're essentially asking me to drive halfway across the United States with a lifeless body in the trunk and not feel the least bit self conscious about it." Of course, she didn't seem particularly disturbed by the thought. It was merely a nutshell-observation the girl felt like stating.

"Of course," Clancy said calmly. "I've disguised my coffin as a large box. Which is what a coffin essentially is, just without the slight adjustment in shape. Is there a problem with that?"

Clancy thought about it. "Yes, I suppose it does sound disturbing, doesn't it? Just remember that I'm sleeping, and whatever you do..." He looked at her seriously. "Do not open the box."

"Because then you'd be dead for reals, and that would be bad." Kitty nodded solemnly. Despite her innocent voice, she understood that his life was in her hands, and she had no intention of letting it go. In attempt to emphasize this sincerity, she continued, "I don't want that any more than you do"

"Good," Clancy said, satisfied. "I will have a lock on the inside as a back up in case of accidents, so it will not be easy to get it open. Any more questions?"

Back