The Vampire's Apprentice

"Most likely, yes. I had considered sleeping through the trip, but I thought you might need the support," Clancy replied.

She was pleased with this. It showed.

Kitty picked herself off of the floor beneath the window, climbing to sit up on the bed with him, book still in her lap. Her expression faded back into sincerity as she contemplated her next question.

"Norville knows you're a vampire...." She began, pausing briefly in uncertainty. "Will he be hurt if we leave and he still knows?"

Clancy sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "According to the laws, no human is to know of our existence without either being killed, subjugated, or turned. However...I believe Norville when he says he will not speak of the matter, and if it should come to light that he knows, I think I can make the case in his favor that no one would believe a drug addict, and killing him would do more harm than good as far as maintaining a low profile."

Kitty thought about this for a moment or two, then nodded softly. She considered mentioning something else on the subject, but feared changing his answer. "Is that three? I think that's three...." The girl sighed. Three questions seemed like so little, some nights.

Clancy cocked his head, a slight frown touching his lips. "Something is bothering you," he said. "At least, there is another question on your mind. What is it?"

She glanced at him from the corner of her eye. "There are a lot of things bothering me." Kitty replied, looking down at the book and rubbing the cover gently. "When you're gone, won't this become another vampire's domain? Not everybody's as nice as you are...." The thought trailed off.

Clancy shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. Not all are as nice as me, no, but then there are some who are much nicer. If a bit strange."

"But what if they are not?" She faced him. "What if they follow the rules like a sensible vampire?" This notion disturbed her deeply, clarified by many innuendos in her voice and on her expression.

Clancy patted her shoulder. "As long as your friend keeps his head and doesn't say anything, he'll be fine. Something tells me he will not be sitting on park benches looking for vampires, and thus he has as much chance as anyone to lead a long, healthy life."

"I think you have a better chance than most, personally," Clancy said. "Although you are likely shaving years of your life off with all this worrying."

"I'd rather worry than be heartless." Kitty stated. "Even if it does kill me. At least someone will know I cared."

Clancy chuckled and shook his head. "There is a difference between worry and care. Someday, I hope you will find that balance. Until then, just know it is difficult not to know you care. And it is sweet."

There was a moment of silence, and she felt her face flush. Kitty's gaze dropped back to the book on her lap, and she brushed her hand lightly over the cover. It still needed a title.

Clancy sat back. "In any case, are you prepared to leave? Four days left. We shall leave as soon as I am awake, so have everything packed in the car, please. The day after tomorrow, I will need you to supervise the movers."

"Yeah, of course." She nodded, regaining her words. "Really... four days seems like so little, yet so much all at the same time."

"And growing shorter all the time," Clancy said grumpily, glancing at the window. He really did not like summer and it's short days. "Anything else?"

Back