The Vampire's Apprentice

Clancy could not help laughing at that. "Very well. I am going to start arranging for your inclussion to the driving school. When you decide what you want to do, let me know." He turned and walked to his little office and woke up his computer.

"I wasn't really serious," Kitty replied after he had left, knowing he could still hear her. She sprawled back across her bed. "I don't know what I'd do."

"Why don't you write down your cookie recipe, then?" Clancy called back to her, already tap-tapping away on his computer. "I am sure the Mooney's would greatly appreciate it."

Kitty didn't move, though she said, "S'pose I could do that." Either she had gotten distracted thinking, or she was too comfortable to get up again despite still being in her daytime clothes.

Sam yawned and settled down next to the bed. As far as he was concerned, the day was done.

In the office, the keys continued a soft pattern of clicks and clacks.

Clancy came in after a few minutes and looked at the sleeping girl in amusement. He did his best to make her comfortable and tucked her into bed. Sad little sweet thing. Then he walked out and closed the door behind himself. There was a lot to arrange before they left.

June 1st, and Kitty woke to the dull gray light of a cloudy sky. It was a welcome change, noting that the winter weather had almost entirely disappeared and the heat crept in uninvited. What excited her more was the hope that this drizzle would last until dusk, and she might see Clancy for a bit longer than the summer daylight usually allowed. That alone was enough to look forward to.

The drizzle, after a while, grew into rain. Fortunately, by then, she had completed any tasks that involved going anywhere and was content to remain indoors. Less fortunately was the fact that she wouldn't be visiting Norville that evening, but Kitty always saw the opportunity for other things she could be doing. All that's left was choose wether to spend it on the couch (still being the only piece of plush furniture aside from the kitchen chairs) or in her room, on her bed.

Or neither, she soon decided. The sound of rain tapping against the bedroom window as she sat beneath the lit space, pencil in-hand and well-worn guidebook on her lap, was just perfect.

Kitty was pleased to note that she and Norville had almost-entierly filled out the guide's pages on vampire lore, Familiars, and a good piece of the Lycan myths. In this particular moment of free time, Kitty ended up sketching various reference images in the pages' blank spots where she had not already marked handwritten notes. In the meantime, she determined, Sam was doing a wonderful job "guarding" the colored pencils while she worked.

For his part, Clancy had spent the time getting things ready for the move. He was not in a hurry, per se, but he did not wish to linger too much longer here. There had been too many disruptions, to many disputes, and now the police had him on file. Well, sort of. They had a record of a noise complaint and a few suspicions. It was more than he ever wanted to deal with. And Mrs. Pugglesworth was not making a quiet, peaceful life easy. Someday they would return. When no one would remember him. Until then, Connecticut would make a nice place to live. He hoped.

As Kitty had hoped, he rose earlier than usual and came up the stairs to find Kitty in her room working on her project and Sam drooling over her pencils happily. He watched for a bit, waiting for her to notice him. He had not yet asked what her project was even though he'd seen her working on it often. He had his suspicions, but he was waiting for her to show him when she was ready.

Though Kitty had spent enough time around Clancy to catch some of his more subtle movements, she was not yet adept enough to sense him whenever he crept by to watch her. It was only after she completed the drawing she had been working on that she knew he was there, seeing him upon glancing towards the doorway. Startled, she examined him while gently closing the cover of the guidebook, not sure if it was valid to ask how long he'd been standing there.

"I did not wish to disrupt your work," Clancy said with a faint smile. "You seemed very involved."

Sam snorted and snuffled as he looked through the colored pencils industriously.

She nodded, brushing her hand across the cover. Kitty glanced down at it for a brief second. "It's not more important than anything else. I was really just waiting for you." Her expression brightened into a grin.

"About like any other, I suppose." Kitty shrugged. "It was wet. Wet is always a good thing, 'cept I didn't have a chance to visit Norville today 'cause of it. But besides that." She waved it off, then replaced her hand on the cover, subconsciously defending it. "I got other things done in the meantime."

"Excellent!" Clancy nodded. "Let us see... I have arranged for the movers to deliver everything to the storage unit, I've packed everything I need and checked my coffin multiple times for light exposure..." He shrugged. "All we have left is to pack. Oh, and here is our route." He handed over a map where he'd marked out a very circuitous route.

Kitty was thankful he had gone though the checklist of things to be done, having never moved herself. She took the map and unfolded it across the floor, examining the trail he'd marked out. Knowing little of particularly concise routes and not much caring so long as they got there, she nodded.

Back