The Vampire's Apprentice

He shrugged. "I suppose I have gotten used to it. For some, it appeals. Others... not so much, There are covens, but I do not care for them. The ones I have been introduced to remind me too much of a vampiric HOA." He made a face at the thought.

"Home Owners' Association," Clancy explained. "Have you seen those subdevisions, sometimes walled off or even gated? White the perfect lawns and similar houses? Those are run by a HOA, which is usually made up of petty little dictators. I am note entirely certain of what kind of punishments they can level, but I do know they can nag for leaving your cans on the curb too long, having your grass a quarter of an inch too long, painting the fence the wrong color, or even not allowing fences at all."

"Hmmm...." She thought about this for a moment. "Sounds really complicated. Freedom is better." Kitty nodded as if deciding this.

"I considered it for a time, even learned about two or three since I was not used to being on my own, but they grated on me. It did not help that two of the three were entirely women. One by choice, the other claimed it was happenstance, but..." he shrugged. "Thirty happenstances in a room at the same time strains the credulity."

"Seems unfortunate." Kitty mumbled. She took a moment to reflect on the number, but did not give her opinion on it. "What was it like, the first time you had to move? After you were a vampire."

Clancy folded his hands. "Well... all of the details involved would make for a very long story, but keeping to the basics... It was maybe... two months after I was turned? I had given up trying to lead my old life after... events... and I decided to leave Hell's Kitchen and New York. A terrifying proposition at the best of times, but now I had to manage it in late fall while only traveling at night and hoping to find shelter or die when the light found me. Most people during that time, and even today to an extent, could only leave New York if they were very rich or if they were willing to start over from scratch. I was very lucky. I had only what would amount to five dollars in today's money and the clothing on my back, but I did not have to worry about food. I did a lot of hitchhiking and made my way very slowly and cautiously out of the city and then out of the state. It took me, perhaps, a week and some change to get to Pennsylvania and found a quaint little farming village to take shelter in for a time."

Her eyes had closed, but she was still listening. Kitty nodded slightly. "What happened after that...?" She asked. "Tell me the story."

Clancy smiled at her and said, "I think the next part of the story is that I helped a girl named Kitty to her room to sleep."

"No, no, that's not how it goes," She argued, opening an eye to glance at him. "Not unless you could time travel."

He chuckled and stood. "I will tell you the rest of the story tomorrow in the car. Come, you need sleep. And be sure to rest as much as you can tomorrow other than alerting Mrs, Pugglesworth."

Kitty lazily rubbed at her face, observing the platform at the bottom of the stairwell. After a moment, she turned to him and offered her hand, silently asking to be helped up.

Instead of taking her hand, Clancy leaned down and picked her up. He carried her to her bedroom and sat her on the edge of her bed. "You should probably change," he pointed out with a smile.

"If you would like me to, then yes," Clancy nodded. He stepped out and softly closed the door. Then opened it again so a rather miffed Sam could come in, then closed it once more.

Kitty rubbed Sam's head before slipping into something more night-worthy. She cracked the bedroom door and went to wait cross-legged on her bed.

Back