The Vampire's Apprentice

Clancy leaned back slowly and settled on his side. Gentle hands returned her hug, pulling her to him and holding her close. "Everything will be fine," he whispered tenderly.

"Good." He kissed the top of her head lightly then cradled her in his arms as he waited for her to sleep. Hopefully this new place would be good for her.

It didn't take very long before her breathing evened and heart rate mellowed to a steady pace. She'd tried to stay awake, too, but it was for naught.

Clancy held her for a long time before finally leaving. He tucked her in and closed the door behind himself. He went down to his little dungeon sleeping room and made certain everything was cleaned out one last time and brought up his temporary box, leaving it in the living room to be packed in the car. The dungeon he'd seel off once they were ready to go.

He left a note reminding Kitty to talk to Mrs. Pugglesworth then went hunting to fill his belly. He did not want to risk trying to eat on the road.

Kitty stretched out across her bed the next morning, staring at the ceiling and thinking that this would be the last time she'd sleep on this bed, in this house. She wasn't particularly sad about leaving save she'd lose visiting the few friends she had and would be venturing into unknown territory she was not at all familiar with.

But hopefully it would work out, right?

Right. Now get up and eat something.

After breakfast, Kitty went over to Mrs. Pugglesworth's and rapped lightly on the door. Personally, she assumed the woman (with her busybody nature) would already have guessed they were moving. After all, for what other reason would a moving van be parked out front and become filled with boxes?

Mrs. Pugglesworth opened the door impossibly fast. She must have been standing there waiting for the knock. "Oh, hello, dear. What can I do for you?" she asked in a cheerful but neutral tone. "There seems to be a lot of business over there."

"Ah, yes," Kitty nodded. "I came by to apologize for all the noise we've been making. There might be a little bit more tonight, but then we'll have left, so we'll be out of your hair."

"Oh, thank you, dear, but I can't cook worth a thing!" she said, flapping her hands. "I do hope you enjoy your new life wherever you go."

"Mm, OK," Kitty smiled. "I do hope you'll be alright after we're gone. It's been a bit hectic, yet you've tolerated us so well."

Norville was trying really hard to be cheerful, but his normal happy-go-lucky nature was weighed down with sadness as he visited with Kitty.
The twins hadn't arrived home yet, but when they did, they didn't seem to notice much. They were too lost in their own world to fully grasp Kitty was leaving them, not the other way around as it usually happened.

"Hey, Norville," Kitty said, flipping to the very back of the guidebook. She'd brought a pen with her, and it was tucked between her fingers. "I want you to sign the book. Right here, beneath my name." She pointed to the cursive script that read Kathryne J. McCleary, as the girl had grown fond of the way this sounded.

Back