Trolling Around (Zul'Zae'Ju'Jin and Silence)

The man struggled throughout the day though it was more of an attempt to ease the pressure on his stomach and side. Part way through exhaustion took over and Aiden gave up the fight and he started to relax. When they were finally done for the day his side throbbed and he waited for the troll to pull him off the creature. It was obvious that he wasn't going to be getting away and he was still fighting with his memory. Something was very wrong and he couldn't put a finger on it. There was also a constant question of his identity.

Even after Aiden hit the ground he got to his feet slowly and waited for the troll to haul him with. Being hauled around was better than having to walk when he was sore from all the fighting and struggling. Some bruising had started to show very obviously on the side of his head. Leaning against the cave wall he frowned a little and he could have sworn this happened to him before. Then the dried meat was flung into his lap and he stared at it a long moment. "Oh...." Almost breaking into a shaky laughter he lifted it and then glanced over at Zae'ju with a quizzical grin. "I know you. This happened before?" A confused half smile remained on his face for a long while. Aiden didn't even attempt to eat the food. Instead he stared at it not wanting to lose this moment. He could feel it. He was so close to remembering something and yet it wasn't coming.

"Come over here." Beckoning with his bound hands he waited till the troll was close. Sitting up a little straighter he reached out and took hold of the troll's tusks. That grunt sounded and then Aiden busted out laughing. Suddenly it was all coming back and he was laughing for a mixture of relief, embarrassment and joy. There was nothing quite so great as finally remembering who he was.

Aiden let his hands drop and he glanced at his lap for a moment. "I don't suppose you'd untie me if I admitted that I am Aiden Silver and I know you got that pendant from Percy." Holding his wrists out to the troll he started to laugh again. It all reminded him so much of their first meeting and he shifted in his place slightly. "Only thing I really can't remember is how in the world I got this headache." He waited for the troll to untie his hands or at least respond to him. "C'mon Zae'ju its me. I just forgot that for a little bit."

Zae'ju watched Aiden for a long moment eyeing the bruise as it discoloured the man's face as the image before him brought him back to Stranglethorn all that time ago when they had met for the first time. Nothing but a mission that had brought them together into a close friendship. It was a little soul destroying to know Aiden had been in his memories and could not remember his own. He cursed the Centaur. If it wasn't for that one chance encounter they would have gotten further than they had. The man's expression shifted and the troll tilted his head as he observed his friend. The meat seemed to be doing something or it was just an object of curiosity.

He nodded, "Et has," he replied simply, jerky was just about the only real thing he could do really well thanks to Theoden and it was something they soon had in common amongst other things. It was good something was coming out from such a simple thing. If he had known sooner... He smirked to himself. Wishes were horses, a fleeting hoof within a daydream.

He didn't answer the request immediately somewhat wary this was all a nasty trick before he relented. He rose and sat on his haunches next to the man, very much in his personal space. Perhaps that would jog something too. Aiden always did like his bubble of personal space even when he was used to Zae'ju's antics. Lips curled back as he grunted and again when the man started laughing, he could feel every single one whilst his tusk remained in the bound hands. His lips curved and retreated to form a grin. the laughter was a good sound and it was a shame Aiden didn't seem prone to laugh more.

"By pendant, ya mean charm, na?" he replied, reaching to flick the dragonesque piece gently. It was clear it held a lot of meaning to the troll and he would be sad to lose it. "Ai still nut sure ef dis j'st be some nasteh trick up ya sleeve. Ya a crafteh ol' devil, ya know," he reasoned as he tooked the bindings and shook the man's wrists gently. "Ai know who be givin' et an' dat centaur responsible now be lying on da barren land wit' 'is guts all loose," he gave promise to that but he was still wary that the stranger was just playing him for a fool. He decided to take the risk as he reached and retrieved one of two daggers nestled in the two way sheathe on the back of his belt. He pointed the tip at Aiden.

"J'st stay where ya are , an' no, ai nut giving back ya swords. Not yet," he explained before he freed the man. Rose grunted from nearby and Xen'tu shuffled slightly before letting out a singular ribbit.

It was good to have his wrists freed and Aiden gingerly touched the raw spots. What was strange was how he could remember feeling so lost and not sure where he was, who he was, or anything else around him. Mostly he was uncomfortable with what he'd said about himself to Zae'ju. Thankfully the troll hadn't asked any further about those statements and maybe he would just keep on thinking it was Aiden being confused.

Though he wasn't sure what others really thought of him Aiden imagined some of it might have been somewhat close. What went on in his mind. Peering up at Zae'ju he raised one eyebrow. It seemed that the troll was watching him with a wary eye. He couldn't really blame Zae'ju for that. Getting his trust back might take a bit, but it should be easier to mend considering the circumstances than if he'd intentionally broken the trust. There wasn't any reason to run off in the barrens and now that he remembered the company he was in he wasn't nearly as willing to risk his luck out there alone. Relaxing a little more he started to munch on the jerky while casting an occasional glance at Xen'tu.

Even as a toad the troll had managed to make himself a pain. Thankfully it was hot enough that the toad would be less likely to try and curl up with him. While he thought about offering to take a watch, Aiden knew better. For now it was likely that Zae'ju wouldn't trust him to do that either. As soon as he finished the jerky Aiden laid on his side and went to sleep. They just needed to get up and move as soon as it was dark enough. There was a good chance that they had lost some time with all his shenanigans that he had pulled. Wasn't a pretty thing at all.

By that evening Aiden woke to a set of hands on his shoulder and he grumbled a little. "Eh...Always have to do that. You know my ears work too." Why Zae'ju had this intense need to touch folks Aiden didn't know. Usually the only ones he liked to have that close were his wife and the boy. Over the last few years he'd learned to accept such close contact from Zae'ju as well. The troll insisted on dispersing hugs in copious amounts and he loved to constantly poke and jostle others as if it were natural to want physical contact whenever possible. As uncomfortable as it was to ride Rose with a toad that he knew was really a troll under his shirt and then another troll pressed in close to his back he knew it was necessary.

Following the troll out to Rose Aiden stubbornly refused help to mount and got himself on the creature. Peering back at Zae'ju he almost cringed when he felt the troll slide into the saddle behind him. Even if he remembered some of this still wasn't comfortable.

Zae'ju watched before he eventually began to relax and he sighed, getting to Ashenvale now was a little easier in the least. The last problem that remained was Xen'tu. He suspected that whoever was waiting for them in Astranaar was going to be expecting two trolls and not the one. He backed off, wrapping the binding around a bicep after returning his dagger to its home. He didn't press anything feeling it would not be appreciated and he knew how unsettling it was to go through something like memory loss.

He nodded when Aiden began eating and that helped relieve some of his tension. A man who did not trust a troll would not take his food. Not willingly. Zae'ju smiled before he left out the dish Aiden had bought for Xen and filled it before he sat down to keep watch for a while. It was not long before he heard Aiden's breathing shift and wondered just how exhausted the other was. The last couple of days had not included much of sleep for either of them. He was glad it had not been permanent or had lasted longer. They had gotten lucky.

Deciding that the heat was now too hot for anything to be out, he got some shuteye himself leaving a toady Xen'tu to mull about in his water dish. Evening came with a deep rumble from Rose as she charged at a passing cheetah. the creature ran off and Rose returned satisfied. He rose and stretched before he went to wake his friend. He would have let the man sleep longer but they had to make up for lost time. "Nut as well as mine do," he grinned in return and ruffled the man's hair as he went to tidy up. He raised a brow at the refusal for help and he watched as Aiden climbed up Rose to get to the saddle. ZAe'ju smirked before he gave Xen'tu over to him. Xen'tu wasted no time in hiding and using Aiden for warmth. Zae'ju got himself comfortable and glanced down.

"Ai nut dat uncomfeh, ya know," he snickered as he got Rose into a trot again. The red beasts headed for the Crossroads and they could see the outpost on the horizon now as they found the main road. Zae;ju didn't plan to stay there. it would be too risky to stick around with a human in company but their seals ensured that they could grab some supplies before heading off again. He giggled as he remembered something and nudged Aiden, "Ya remembah dat miserable git of an Orc back in Grom'gol. 'e be stationed in Crossroads now. Wanna pay a visit?" he grinned mischievously as Rose trotted along, her feet making steady thumps on the ground.

As they got closer it was clear Crossroads was an essential part of Barrens survival. There was quite a few travelling parties approaching and leaving the outpost. They reached the line and the guards soon came over to them weapons drawn. "You lost your mind, troll?" Zae'ju struggled to hold back his sigh if disdain.

"No, nut unless ya wanna question da Dark Lady's mind too?" he replied, producing the document that was Aiden's protection within Horde territories. No doubt Aiden would be doing the same for him and Xen'tu later down the road. The orc frowned but inspected the document before he sighed, nodding.

"Seems sound, Zae'ju of the Darkspear," the male replied before handing it back. He looked at Aiden and sneered, "Welcome to the Crossroads. Carry on! You're blocking the way for everyone else!"

Zae'ju snorted before Rose moved inside the outpost walls which were nothing more than simple hides pulled taught over wooden posts. "We be gettin' some supplies, did ya bring spare clothes? We can probableh see ef a merchant 'as aneht'ing. Hum, maybe ai can fin' someone to unhex Xen..."

They could both hear the muffled but hopeful ribbit.

"Yes as a matter of fact you are that uncomfortable." Sighing a little he glanced over his shoulder just in time to feel the toad crawling under his shirt. It was all very unnerving considering the fact that he'd just regained his memory and everything started off at a place that he didn't remember them being at all. Somehow Aiden was sure that there was a little time he had missed during all this travel with Zae'ju. The sense of unease was building the closer they got to deep Horde territory. Even if he did have protection it wasn't much of a comfort.

As hard as he tried to be somewhat relaxed the man barely managed a nod when Zae'ju mentioned the guard that Aiden had first introduced himself to. That was when Zae'ju found out who he was and now it was doubtful he got much choice if he got to see that guard or not. As soon as they reached the gate he could hear the guard start into Zae'ju again only to have the entire manner of the orc change. A part of Aiden wanted to curse the orc and then his usual sense of humor started to emerge. While the orc was busy being loud and unhelpful Aiden just smiled at him. "Nice to see you to." Once they were past he mumbled under his breath. "Ugly lout."

Glancing at Zae'ju briefly he shook his head. "I got what I need and I'm not going anywhere without you." Whether he had papers or not Aiden didn't trust the Horde to accept the papers if he was by himself. They could mark up anything that happened to him as an accident or claim they didn't know. Horde was full of liars, thieves, and murderers. For the most part Aiden didn't trust a single one of them. Only one of the Horde that he had ever trusted was Zae'ju and that was because he had been on a perilous mission and they had to learn to trust one another rather than fight to the death on a daily basis. A change of clothes wasn't something Aiden had actually thought about till now. He knew he didn't smell good. No one did when they came out of the barrens after several days of travel.

At mention of Xen'tu being un-hexxed Aiden got a suspicious glint to his eye. "So he can be trouble eh?" So long as they were in Horde territory it was better in Aiden's mind to have the troll as a toad. He didn't particularly like the idea of ever recovering Xen'tu's original form. They could when they got to the Alliance because that would solve the majority of the problems. Xen'tu would have to behave or else he would end up dead.

Despite the look he got from Zae'ju he shrugged. "Won't be needing anymore trouble than I already was. Could take us a mite longer to get anywhere if he's trying to slit my throat every time I close my eyes."

Zae'ju chuckled, grinning toothily, Aiden's remark alone eased his mood. He could relax more now than before and perhaps get some proper sleep without a fear of finding a blade to his throat. "Gud mon. Gud," he grinned viciously between his tusks. If it been a comment to the tune of anything else would have been strange. The outpost would offer only brief respite from the perils of the Barrens but he planned to make advantage of it. The orc brought him irritation namely for the constant reminder of his race and the tone of disdain brought with it. It did not matter that the Orc knew his true name or had met before. It would always be 'troll' no matter how many times he visited orc strongholds.

He heard Aiden's breath and gave a low chuckle, "Easeh. Da lout's mate migh' 'ear your truth."

He brought Rose to the hitching posts where the other mounts of varying folk stood with water and food troughs available. Carnivores stood at one end, herbivores the other and this was where Rose now stood. Zae'ju hopped from Rose's back and watched as Aiden followed suit. He peered at Aiden a moment before a twisted grin, "Ai 'ope dat don't be includin' ma bed." The jibe was evident as he lightly punched Aiden's shoulder. A stable-hand approached and cleared her throat. Zae'ju glanced towards her and thumbed her a few coin. Orcish women he found more imposing then their men sometimes. He smiled to himself. Trolls were wily, Orcs were brutes.

"Rare thing for a human to pass into the Crossroads with his head still attached," she spoke as she peered at the human next to the large troll. Xen'tu had hopped from Aiden to the direhorn's shaded neck. Zae'ju casually lifted his brother and handed him to Aiden as he looked back at her. She checked the coin and handed one back, "This is false." Zae'ju took it and tested it for himself, the coin bending with ease. He snorted, "My brudda cheats me," he said with no surprise in the finding. He handed her a replacement. She smiled and nodded, "We have a few ruffians who would have his blood around tonight. See you keep him close, friend or find yourself lacking," she advised with a grin. She eyed the Direhorn and Zae;ju saw recognition.

"This is not yours however."
"Na, ma brudda's. 'e be loanin' 'er to me whilst 'e be, heh, learnin' a lesson," the toad shifted in Aiden's hold.
The orcess laughed and nodded, "Shame. He has skill with those swords. Swords you carry," she gestured and Zae'ju nodded with a fierce grin of his own.
"Xen always be pressin' where he shud nut tread. Ma mate nut be a woman mon's shud cross,"
"Ouch!" the woman chuckled and peered towards the toad. "I;m not sure which looks better though I'm surprised he's so calm in a human hand,"
"Lesson in progress na?"

The woman chuckled again before she peered at Aiden and smiled, nodding briefly before she thumped a closed fist in salute to Zae'ju who repeated the gesture before she walked back to what appeared to be her office.

He nudged the other with a knuckle before he lead the way to a merchant's stall. he chuckled and shrugged, "We may 'ave need fo' ma brudda's skill in days ta come. Ai t'ink 'e be close ta knowin' da benefits of nut killin' all in da name of hate an' revenge." Zae'ju walked with a casual ease despite how close Aiden was keeping and he only stopped when they were at the stall. The orc peered up at them at their approach from his spot on his stool with a bored expression that told that the man would rather be elsewhere but had no means. Zae'ju gestured to the varying clothing items, "Take ya pick," he nodded.

"Sides, 'e hasn't played wit' cha in a while. See? 'e nut even squirming in ya 'ands no more," he grinned.

Horde lands were never comfortable as a human. It was obvious that he didn't belong and Aiden was hardly feeling up to much jest. For the most part he didn't feel good about the place they were at. "Aye, I'll crawl into your bed if it suits me. Its doubtful that I'd have a need to be so close to your kind." Grumbling a little he righted himself from the playful nudge. Somehow the troll seemed to forget that when one was in an enemies territory it was far better to be quiet and stay close to your ally. Gradually he began to relax until the female Orc came in.

For the time he just watched the interaction between her and Zae'ju. His friend was far too easy in his conversation. Surprisingly the toad seemed to be almost as uncomfortable as himself and Aiden chuckled slightly when the female orc left. "You make trouble everywhere for yourself eh? One day there will be no place safe to lay your head if you keep that up."

Holding the toad gently in his hands he started for the market with Zae'ju and Aiden stopped at the stand. Looking over the ware Aiden almost had to frown. He wasn't particularly fond of anything that the Horde sold. Besides they had a strange scent to all that they made and he didn't like to have to wear it till the smell resembled his own. Orcs had an especially foul odor about them. None could rival them except the hairy detestable trolls. Knowing full well that trolls were proud of their height and frequently made jest of human stature Aiden grabbed a pair of pants that were likely for a troll. "They would hardly fit meh short legs." There were a few words that he slurred and then he began to chuckle. After a little digging around he found something that was human and he had to hold back a growl. More than likely they had killed a man to get the pants.

"Those will do." Finally looking for a shirt was far easier and Aiden quickly chose a blue one to go with the plain black trousers. The man glanced at the toad and grinned. "Do you suppose we'll have anything for him to wear when we leave?"

He snorted, he couldn't see Aiden doing that. Not if he had other options or choice. Glancing down at his 'little' brother he grinned and nodded as xen'tu slowly closed his eyes, turning his back on them as if to make a kind of statement to the contrary. "Xen's nickname be trouble. Barrens be one of 'is favourite hunting grounds now dat ya Alliance be pushin' a presence in da south," he explained with a yawn. He was tired and he wanted to sleep but that was a while yet to be had. Zae'ju knew the man was trying to play the quiet but he didn't care. He dared any one to try and commit treason for to harm the human was to break the seal. Zae'ju would be within right to execute the person himself since Aiden was charged to his chief care in the writ. He didn't know if that was the same in Alliance rules but he was conscious of the rules, even between opposing factions.

The orc watched blandly before returning to his newspaper. Zae'ju scratched an ear as he watched Aiden pick through the clothes. He snickered at the breeches the man pulled out and after a moment, he snatched them inspecting them for himself. He folded them and placed them down, "Wud be funneh ta watch ya in dem tho," he grinned, picturing the image in his mind before he giggled to himself. Finally Aiden found things that were more to his size. He cleared his throat causingthe orc to peer towards them again before the man stood and spoke the price. Zae'ju counted out the coins before he paid up.

"You're skimping, troll,"
"An' ya customah service be shit," Zae'ju replied without preamble, sublty straitening in his stance. The orc wavered before he grunted, sitting back down a Zae'ju turned Aiden away from the sourpuss.

"Hrm?" He looked at Xen'tu and then grinned, "Xen's wardrobe be largah den mine. Rose 'as all 'e needs. Kilt and armah. Fo' now, ai need a gud drink an' some sleep. C'mon, tavern be dis way," he grinned. It was a good thing Aiden wasn't armed as they moved through the outpost and into a teeming tavern. There were numerous Orcs, Tauren and more trolls all drinking and laugh. There were also the Sin'dorei, or Blood Elves, and a few Forsaken. Zae'ju wrinkled his nose at the smell of their decayed flesh, the hint of preserving agents thick in the nose.

"Ai suppose ya wan' dat pigswill ya call brandeh ef dey got et, huh?" he grinned. Faces turned briefly to peer at the Human and most were disapproving scowls. A troll rose along with two others and Zae'ju slowed to a halt as they blocked his path. Zae'ju frowned at the other Troll. A male with a broken tusk and had the look of a rogue. The others were far more burly. The troll spoke in Zandali and Zae'ju half-listened before he produced the writ and waved Sylvanas' seal in the man's face.

"Touch him an' die," he said loudly so everyone got the message as he stood to his full height. He proved to be the taller as the other Troll matched the challenge. Zae'ju was gauging his next move. Either they would obey the Banshee Queen's orders or they would commit treason and hell would break loose. However this ended, he had a feeling it was safer sleeping out under the stars again. It seemed that Xen'tu was also paying attention as he saw something dart towards Aiden, a glint catching from something in the rogue's hand. The toad acted before Zae'ju or Aiden could as he hopped from Aiden's hand and landed square in the Blood Elf's face. The shriek was painfully girly to Zae'ju's ears and everyone burst out laughing at the shriek the man gave in answer to the toad.

Zae'ju always seemed to enjoy taking Aiden into uncomfortable circumstances. It wasn't any better when they went into the tavern and then as if the Horde members didn't already realize there was a member of the Alliance in the tavern the troll made mention of brandy. That was enough to make it plain as day that Aiden was Alliance. It was rare that anyone outside of humans enjoyed the drink. The troll hunter looked over at Zae'ju and sighed. For a second he glanced at the toad in his hands and wondered if it would have been easier to be a toad just now. There was a single exception to the fact that he wouldn't have trusted Xen'tu and he wasn't so sure now even though the toad had seemed to have behaved better in the last few days. Behavior could have easily been written off as Xen'tu accepting that he was dangerously small and easily harmed.

There was nothing to do now that Zae'ju had nearly invited trouble. Aiden was trying to mind his own business and just keep his head down. He turned slightly as a challenge arose and Xen'tu shifted on his hand a little. The man had half a mind to put the toad on the counter or to his pocket and grab one of Zae'ju's daggers. He still hadn't a weapon since the troll hadn't graced him with the rest of his belongings just yet.

Suddenly the flash of a dagger shown and Aiden was about ready to reach for Zae'ju's other dagger, but before he could react the troll-toad leaped from his hand and into the enemy's face. The shriek from the male was more than entertaining to Aiden. However, he managed to keep his laughter to a minimum and instead grinned. Chuckling a little more Aiden got on one knee and put a hand out for Xen'tu to hop back into. "That was a fine thing to see. Dare say I've heard a rare woman that could rival the cries of a Blood Elf and especially such as that." Those within hearing range of the comment tried to hide their snickering. It was not likely to be popular to laugh at a joke by a human and an Alliance member at that. Still it didn't make it any safer here and Aiden quietly took his place at the bar again. When the bartender turned toward him, Aiden spoke "I would have a dark beer if you have one." Chances were it would be a bit tastier than their version of brandy.

Not that Aiden could have expected anything from the bartender, but at least he tried. The male behind the counter just raised one eyebrow as if he were surprised that the human even tried to speak and then turned away. So far as Aiden could tell he was pretending not to have heard. Such a little thing was clearly rude, insulting and meant to be embarrassing. Fortunately, Aiden didn't take offense easily and it was difficult to embarrass him. Even embarrassment was something he learned to take silently and pretend as though it were not. In a case such as this the embarrassment should have been born by the bartender and so Aiden figured there was no harm done.

When a few more minutes had passed he winked at Zae'ju. "What you say to ordering the drink for me and we'll see if his ears work any better?" The troll hunter chuckled a little and he let out a long breath. When the drink finally came he smirked a little. Somehow he had all sorts of horrible orc jokes running around in his head and this was hardly the time to share one. Instead the smirk only grew as he sipped at the beer. He was barely half way through it when Aiden felt a heavy hand rest on his shoulder. Cautiously he turned his head to peer at whomever it belonged to.

Xen'tu might not have liked Aiden much but he had reached a new conclusion about his kind. Aiden was not for anyone else to kill or maim but for his brother or himself. He clung to to elf's face and ribbited eliciting another squeak before he was thrown off and backed away, humiliated. Zae'ju grinned. It seemed his unruly brother was finally seeing other ways of getting things done in life. He glanced at Aiden and snickered as he watched Xen'tu crawl back on to the offered hand. If a toad could look smug with itself, Xen'tu was doing a fine example. The man moved to the bar as Zae'ju peered back at the first troll and his companions. They had a staring match for a few moments before the other relented. "Watch ya back, huntah," the troll nodded before they returned to their table.

"Always," Zae'ju muttered before he joined his friend at the bar. He was not surprised when the bartender ignored the man and peered ore keenly at Zae'ju. Some Horse's folk were just too set in their ways. He chuckled and nodded before he waved at the orc. "What 'e asked fo' and frog's venom fo' me"

"We're out of venom, troll," the orc replied and Zae'ju scowled before settling for the same as Aiden but knew it would do nothing for him. Aiden could get royally drunk on it and Zae'ju would still only be tipsy. It was a shame really. Still, it was better than nothing and he settled to idly eavesdropping on nearby conversations as he sipped the ale. Least it was decent enough in the taste unlike the usual Grog Orc establishments served. He guessed the bartender thought the human could not stomach proper grog and gave them bother a lesser ale.

Zae'ju's long tapered ears twitched as they listened on varying conversations that floated about the room before they picked up upon a heavy tread. That signified many things but usually either heavy set folk, those in armour or those wanting their approach to be know as to not startle their target. He felt a shadow loom over and he glanced over his shoulder towards Aiden and the newcomer. A single ribbit from Xen'tu signified his brother wasn't keen on this newcomer and he wondered why as he scrutinised the face. A face that seemed familiar, he wasn't sure. He met so many people throughout his livelihood that he couldn't always pin the tail on them all.

The face looked familiar but he couldn't recall why.

Aiden was a long ways from wanting to drink in excess. For the most part being a dangerous region like this did make Aiden a little more wary. He didn't want to be caught off guard by a Horde member. Peering up at the face above him Aiden narrowed his eyes. It was almost impossible to discern whether this was a friendly figure or not. Considering they were in Horde territory he made the assumption that the one nearby was not friendly and Zae'ju was no help at all. Shrugging the hand off his shoulder Aiden took another sip and he carefully tipped his hand so that the toad would roll out of it.

Now that Xen'tu wouldn't be in the way Aiden slipped off the stool he was sitting on and he turned toward the one standing behind him. Following up the length of the creature the troll hunter's neck was at an angle so that he could see the other's face. When it reached for his shoulder again Aiden slapped it. "Don't care for your kind to get that close." A snort sounded from the creature and it brought the back of its hand sharply against Aiden's head just as he was trying to duck out of the way. With a growl he came back up and gave a sharp undercut that caught the creature right under the ribs. It didn't matter if they weren't supposed to kill him. The man had a feeling that they were the kind that would assume they could beat him up even if there was order to let him live.

Being a hunter had awarded Aiden with many chances to grow tougher and lean to fight. Size wasn't entirely a big issue when you had to fight with a beast. Aiden had become quite comfortable with being shorter than most races and instead focused on the things he was good at. One of those things was finding a way to enrage the enemy and get them to become unreasonable. The more unreasonable they were the more likely they were to make a mistake. Dodging a second blow he ran almost directly into the fist of an Orc that had strategically positioned itself to catch up on the duck and weave. Aiden hit the ground and he rolled into the ankles of another beast and sent it toppling. Scrambling to his feet Aiden came up swinging. So far as he could tell it was going to be the only way to get himself out of this mess. If he could start a fight that encompassed the entire tavern he could get out. Almost every time he rose Aiden found himself being kicked under or hit again. Determined to end the fight Aiden got to his feet each time and threw a punch at a new target. It wasn't long before the entire tavern was in an uproar and it was no longer every man against Aiden. Instead it was every race against one another. In a way that was satisfying. Aiden had found that the Horde was easy enough to divide if they thought there was reason to fight one another. For a moment he considered there may be a chance to disappear and then he remembered Zae'ju and Xen'tu.

With a few more punches and a bit of welting starting on his face he reached the counter of the bar and took hold of Xen'tu before attempting to make his way out of the tavern. The same one that had put his hand on Aiden's shoulder seemed to have caught onto the trick. Sighing Aiden threw Xen'tu at Zae'ju and dove head first for the opponents stomach. Both of them fell out the tavern doors and into the dirt where Aiden found himself being pummeled repeatedly in the stomach. Between gasps for air he would look for a weak point on the creature and then he suddenly crumpled. Tearing a dagger from the creature's belt Aiden threw it aside and began to disarm it while the rage took over and the beast hardly noticed.

Near the end of the fight the creature was wearing out and Aiden ran for the tavern. Bursting through the door he let it swing wide open and then kicked it back into the Horde member's face before he could pass through the doorway. Hearing the distinct thud of a body hitting the ground Aiden then tore the door open before he could be captured and dismembered by angered Horde members that could recall who started the fight. The man jumped over the crumpled figure outside the tavern door and promptly set to collecting the creature's weapons. They would make for a good prize and Aiden favored at least one of the blades for his personal collection.

Once Aiden had completed his quick scavenging he looked up at Zae'ju. "Don't suppose you'll want to stay here tonight. I sure don't."

Upon further study he realised the figure was not someone he knew but there were certain similarities that were deceiving. He shifted as he took another swig from the narrow cup and watched as Xen'tu gave a croak of indignation, settling his weight on the counter. He turned and watched as his personal carrier turned his interest on something even Xen'tu admitted to being far uglier. The orc was not quite of the peon caste but it was not far off, the face contorting into a snarl when it's attempt was pushed aside a second time. Its intelligence pushed, the orc gave a savage growl as Zae'ju frowned, realising what this was going to very likely end up. Extricating themselves out of this situation was fast becoming a difficult task. He sniffed and finished his drink even as Aiden hit it right back in the ribcage. The roar was not unexpected and clearly this dumb orc had decided that the human was going to die regardless of the Banshee Queen's royal seal.

Zae'ju was wary in that. A bar fight was a very likely situation for those malcontents to try and do some actual damage and blame it on the chaos of the situation. Keeping an eye on his smaller friend was fast becoming impossible and he rose from the seat sharing a glance with Xen'tu. His heart went out to his brother. His brother loved brawling and bars were the perfect place to do just that. "Next time, brudda," he nodded with a solemn nod. It was not longer before the excuse was taken upon. Fists flew, feet kicked and stools broken. Not even Zae'ju went unhindered as the troll from before snarled at him, grabbing the hunter's tusk and threw him into the crowd with abandon. Zae'ju stumbled and grunted as he got back to his feet. He was about to get them both of this mess when he saw the trinket in teh troll's hand. His hand rose to touch his left tusk before he growled in return. All he wanted was one damned drink.

Charging the other, the pair slid across the table upsetting more patrons as they sent tankards flying, some smacking into the bodies of the brawling mass. Zae'ju grappled with the green-furred forest troll beneath him sending an elbow to the troll's face as he attempted to get his gift back. Mocking he could take since he did not take himself seriously much less the world around him but he hated his things, especially gifts, being torn from his possession. Something that trolls equally liked to take. He snarled but was cut short by a fist to his temple. His vision spun but he persisted against the larger troll. Darkspears were one of the shorter, smaller kinds of Trolls but what they lacked in size they made up for with their cunning and other talents. He was unsure where Aiden had gotten to inside of the heaving mass of skin, fur and hoof. He cried out when a large male tauren stepped upon his leg. Thankfully, the bull did not place down his full weight but it was enough to feel the negative pressure to beyond excruciating. Finally the bull released and he was quick to turn the tables of the forest troll beneath him as they writhed on the tavern floor. "Dis be mine!" he growled with triumph when he wrenched his belonging from the other's hand and knocked the troll out cold, smashing the head against cold stone. He suspected his face was going brighten in angry bruising along with other limbs given how hard the other had beaten into him.

He rose stiffly awkwardly shifting his weight only to blink in surprise as an equally surprised Xen'tu was tossed his way. He caught his brother out of reflex. He heard shouts and knew the guards from outside were on their way in. Zae'ju did not fancy getting into trouble with them for bringing a human here and for the brawl to be blamed on him because of that. He grumbled and made for as quick an exit as he could only to be stopped by the bartender. "You show your face in Crossroads again Troll, I'll mount your head on a spike. You're barred," the orc seethed, furious that his bar was now a certified wreck. He grabbed Zae'ju by the scruff of his armour and hauled him through the chaos that seemed to part easily to let the big orc through. It seemed no one was the fool to try the bartender on for size. Zae'ju grunted as he was toossed out. Guards entered at a jog to stop the fighting.

Zae'ju spat on the ground before he rose to his feet nearly falling back down on his arse in the process as he peered at Aiden. "Considerin' ai j'st got barred from da Crossroads on ya account, na ai dun't," he replied dourly and rubbed his leg. It was throbbing like crazy. They were lucky they had thought to get supplies before entering the tavern or leaving the outpost would have been problematic. Zae'ju was upset and angry and Aiden was only partially the reason for it. Xen'tu gave a longing but sad croak as Zae'ju moved away from the tarvern, a definite limp to the low gait that was familiar to him. He paused and looked at the large orc Aiden had decked and sighed. That was not going to help relations any.

He paused and sniffed, "Need ta find a lake too," he muttered.

The man was a little sore himself and he relished the feel of the orc blade in his hand. Truly it was amazing that such an pathetic Horde member could have come to posses such a piece. Glancing over at Zae'ju the man shrugged. "That orc was determined to start something. Just obliged him cause I didn't fancy finding myself stuck through with a stake and roasting over a fire. A human in my trade learns to be wary for good reason and bringing me to Horde territory and taverns is one hell of a plan to get me in trouble." There was a tinge of frustration to Aiden's tone. He wouldn't have minded sitting quietly and ignoring the sneers from the Horde, but to be touched by one and then threatened? That was inexcusable. Being threatened in this territory and not responding was dangerous. If you didn't respond it was likely as not that others would have taken his opponents side and Zae'ju couldn't have done anything to stop them.

With the orc weapons tucked under one arm and one hand resting over his side Aiden winced uncomfortably. He had enough bruises to feel like he was a walking welt. Zae'ju made mention of lake while the two of them made their way toward the edge of Crossroads. "You stink?" Aiden sniffed a little and shook his head. "Just smells like beer and sweat." There wasn't anything in particular wrong with either of those smells. Besides the last thing that Aiden wanted to do was strip down and bathe. He hurt everywhere and he didn't favor the idea of the toad or Zae'ju seeing him without clothing. The female friend of Zae'ju's was the only one though that was different because she was human.

A short ways out of Crossroads Aiden started to get the idea that Zae'ju was mad. Whatever the troll was angry about Aiden couldn't tell. Dropping his loot near the edge of a stream he then stripped his shirt off and took a moment to wash his arms. For the most part he was more careful with his side and stomach. There was already a growing bruise on his stomach where the orc had repeatedly punched him along with a little more blood from his side. Thankfully the amount of blood was limited because the injury had healed most of the way. However, Aiden wasn't so sure that there wasn't a considerable amount of damage done to his stomach. It hurt still and every time he breathed or moved it only seemed to ache all the more. This set of bruising was persistent. "Agh." Carefully removing the bandages Aiden stared at his stomach with some concern. Cupping his hands he carefully rubbed some of the cool water over the bruising and then laid back on the ground. It was several more minutes before he had decided that he should ask Zae'ju the little nagging question that had formed in his mind. "What's got you so upset?"

There seemed to a flurry of emotion that crossed his friend's face. A series of emotions that Aiden hadn't seen before and it was cause for concern. Wincing a little he sat up and carefully rested one hand on the hilt of his newly acquired weapon. He knew if he had to kill Zae'ju he would have to kill the toad too. As friends they had never been this close to danger and yet Aiden couldn't help feeling a sense of danger.

When the troll moved a little closer he tightened his grip on the weapon. The troll hunter narrowed his eyes slightly. "I'd suggest you stay a good distance from me till you calm down. You got that crazy look in your eyes and I'm feeling a little jittery. I'm still a man and you're still troll." There were somethings that even friendship could not change and this was one of them. There was also a concern that Aiden had long held, what if Zae'ju came to the point that he didn't care anymore or he thought that Aiden had crossed one too many lines? It was possible since Zae'ju was more neutral and Aiden was far from it.

Zae'ju turned his gaze on his friend for the longest moment before he squared his broad shoulders and silently let the way out of the Crossroads, collecting Rose on the way out. The Direhorn happily trundled after them oblivious to the ruckus that was unkind towards Zae'ju. Zae'ju knew 'Qaska wasn't going to be happy with him but then she had moaned about not being able to travel half a much as before. He rubbed his face and sighed. They still had several days to go before they would hit the border and he had been hoping to get across the barrens in less than a week.

He glanced back at the comment of beer and sweat and remembered his sense was far more acute. He picked up more than just beer and sweat and none of it was to his liking. He kept quiet not trusting himself. There were still days of doubt, a leftover he assumed from what had overtaken him before. It was like seeing shadows, fleeting shadows that he was never sure he saw. He bared his teeth in silent reproach. He was letting it get to him and that had to stop. Still, the fact it had happened remained. He was angry and that was not an emotion he dealth with often, more used to being able to let it glide like water off a duck's back. IT was the only time where he understood his brother's constant rage.

He moved away from the other and washed himself quickly whilst collecting his thoughts. That was harder to achieve these days too and the knowledge they would have to face it all again a second time was beyond him. He didn't want to go through that nightmare any more than he already had. He paused a moment bare chested in the middle of the stream. His clothes were light and would dry out quickly. He returned after donning his armour back on and fell short as Aiden looked at him. He knew it was partially his own fault and hewas frustrated and angry with himself because of that but the rest was on the man and the damned orc. Doubt kicked in and anger threatened to consume him again. eyes followed the movement to the sword hilt and his expression shifted darkly as he frowned.

"You know what," he growled out between his tusks taking an step closer causing Xen'tu to give a short croak of interest. Zae'ju's gaze snapped on his brother before they reverted back to Aiden, frowning at the words.

There was that word again. A word every orc used for his kind seldom heard their name again from such even when it had been given. He was caught with indecision and an urge to smack his friend into next week, his fists clenching, knowing damned well he would be in the wrong. He was unsettled by what he was feeling and it scared him. Whatever had gone on in his head back in Wyrmrest remained a shadow, one still being weeded out. With a frustrated snarl, he backed off and strode on down the path at a quick pace that spoke of his need to be alone for a short while to gather his head without Aiden's presence bringing up blockades.

Xen'tu watched his brother never having seen him get conflicted or angry with a mortal his brother considered closer friend than Xen'tu. Even Rose picked up on the tension and shuffled nervously, her clubbed tail waving anxiously as she stood next to Aiden with the troll toad. Xen'tu realised then that even though his brother had remained open-minded despite their childhood ordeal, part of that was out of a coping mechanism. He gave a low sigh. He wanted to protect his brother but couldn't. He peered at Aiden and stared blankly for a moment before he made an awkward leap to where Aiden was half sat. He knew what his brother needed and since he was unable, he had to try and get the other to realise and for him that was not easy. It meant working with Aiden and the idea alone was detestable but his love for his brother proved stronger as he headbutted Aiden's knee, ribbiting questioningly and then peered the way his brother had stalked off in a miserable humph. He repeated the gesture twice before he clung to the man's knee under the nervous gaze of his beloved Rose.

Aiden peered at the toad and he frowned slightly. "Oh...So you think I ought to be following an angry troll." Peeling Xen'tu off his knee he pushed the toad aside. "Suppose you just go after him eh? Or are you afraid you'll get eaten by a snake?" That thought alone made him chuckle a little and he laid back though he was sure to keep his hand near the dagger. Like usual the toad was insistent when he wanted something and he wouldn't leave Aiden alone.

The troll hunter frowned at the toad. "You miserable little bastard." Pushing Xen'tu aside again he let out a long sigh. He was feeling semi sick since his stomach had been used like a punching bag. In many ways he was feeling a little strange. That hit to the head had sprung so many disorienting thoughts and he couldn't help wondering if there was anything else. If it accomplished anything at all it had brought up many sour sentiments in regards to trolls and it made this trip all the more difficult. The man had done his best to put the feelings aside and to try and make peace where he could. Zae'ju had been an important part of making peace with what he could though Aiden had to admit it had been slow work and it seemed to be regressing at this point.

After what felt like forever he stared down at the toad again. Grasping Xen'tu a little harder than usual he snatched the toad from the ground. "You want me to go see your brother when he's like this? Then that's what you'll get and if he tries to do anything stupid then I'm dropping your slimy ass." Aiden almost enough of the toad and he somewhat wished that Xen'tu were in his troll form so that Aiden could throw a punch at him. "I doubt this will do any good since I'm damn near turning into a monster." Aiden felt like a monster with all the pent up anger and the stomach ache. Right now it was more important to try and mend things with Zae'ju. Perhaps they could come out the better for this no matter the situation. The mission had to be completed and Khadgar had recommended them to both the Horde and Alliance for a reason. If nothing else he could do this for his wife and Percy. That was how he started the first mission with Zae'ju and now that was what he had to do if he was going to work his way out of the mire of his own anger and hatred.

Eventually Aiden found the troll and he stopped a few feet away from Zae'ju. "There's something afoot. Nothing could have gone as wrong as it has. Maybe we aren't fighting monsters on board a ship, but we be fighting our own battles in our heads. Both of us got plenty of reason to hate each other. Best to remember our families. You think of your lad and 'Qaska. I'll be thinking of my own. In time it will all come full circle. I know you love yours better than me and that's the way it should be. We're doing this for our families."

The man shifted on his feet and glanced at Zae'ju out of the corner of his eye. "Yah come on back to camp and I'll fix us something to eat. No tricks. Feeling a little edgy myself."

Xen'tu frowned as much as a toad could frown. Surely that was the point of his antics? To follow his brother and make sure that no lion or hyena ambushed him without their notice? No matter how many times he was forcibly removed, he tried again and again to get his point across. He didn't want something bad happening to his brother especially when the man was angry. He knew how to deal with his anger and still was learning he supposed no thanks to Zae'ju's mate but he knew the emotion was not one his brother went through very often. Zae'ju's open mindedness and ease of manner was something he envied not that he would ever admit to such a thing.

The man was starting to look despondent and the facial expressions the man were were difficult to read but Xen'tu could guess they were on similar path to whatever his big brother was feeling. He just did not understand what motivated humans much less why his insane brother wanted to know more about them all the time. Xen'tu often called the bullshit on the excuse of knowing your enemy from within, Zae'ju was not like that. He begrudgingly admitted that his brother had earned those friendships through honour and custom even Trolls recognised which was no small thing.

Time was passing and he was growing furtive with growing concern and worry. Anger could blind the senses. The amount of times he had been jumped when he was of a mood was enough proof in the pudding. He stared at Aiden willing the human to wake up and see reason. He ribbited to himself, like that of a snort, knowing he was a fine one to talk. That realisation struck him and he felt something click or change within him. He couldn't tell what it was though. He blinked as he was lifted again, the skin warm to his warty hide. He blinked when Aiden called himself a monster or close to it. It was not a common thing for him to hear a human admit to that. Usually it was the other way around, and it was normal for them to accuse his kind of being the monsters. He gave a croak of agreement as his arms clung around the man's hand. So, good... this was a step in the right direct, he surmised as he felt the man move.

Zae'ju had kept walking until some sense and reason returned to make him realise he was abandon Aiden, Rose and Xen'tu but he was still in such a foul mood that he could not yet stomach returning. He sat on his haunches next to a tall thin trunk of a tree that had died long ago. Zae'ju knew it was likely that it had succumbed to one of the Barren's many droughts. He didn't quite understand what had lead them to this road. He should not be bickering with the one man in the world that had ignored his duties as a troll hunter with him and in the doing had saved his life and his mind from corruption. The realisation that he had been close to becoming violent had scared him and in part the reason for walking away. He sighed heavily and rubbed his face searching for answers in the dirt.

He heard someone approach long before the voice betrayed who it was. He didn't move. Just simply listened as the man spoke. Ay'din. 'Qaska. he closed his eyes and forced himself to remember every part of his mate's and son's faces. He missed them both already but the man was not wrong. He was surely missing Daveen and Percy in the same fashion. They had that in common now, they were both fathers with family to fight for lest they were lost to them. He reopened his eyes again and looked over his shoulder. His eyes rested briefly on his brother who seemed strangely at ease with his being held. Zae'ju's face quirked unsure what to make of that but he could read no word or trace of a lie from the man. Just an open hesitancy that edged every word spoken.

Zae'ju slowly rose and turned to face Aiden before he nodded back in silence. There was no anger to Zae'ju's features now but his eyes had grown more tired and there was a note of shame in his expression. Deep down he knew it was highly unlikely now they considered each other friends that Aiden would want to hurt him. He nodded slowly, "No tricks," he repeated still unsure of himself. He followed Aiden back to where Rose had been left standing and sat to one side. He took the human made dagger from his belt and stared at it for a long moment before he stabbed it into the ground. He watched Aiden move about the camp readying food here and there. Zae'ju stoked the fire, the poking stick allowing some of his edginess to wear off and for the anxiety to ease off.

As soon as Zae'ju seemed to understand the situation he fell in and Aiden still felt that he was in a precarious position. Neither seemed all that trusting so they walked side by side till the path became too narrow and Aiden had to take the front. Zae'ju took himself to the edge of the camp and Aiden stared at the toad resting in his hand. The two of them went a short distance away from Zae'ju before the man spoke to Xen'tu. "Now you know about my family and I think you did before, but this is the only warning you'll get from me. If you even breathe a hint of the fact that you know I have a family to Horde or Alliance I will kill you. I don't care if Zae'ju is obliged to take my head in response. You will become my sole focus and I have never lost a target. Normally I would ask for your word, but I already know it isn't worth the breath you take to speak it. Just know that the day you reveal I have a family again that it will be the last you rest."

Even talking about the possibility of Xen'tu using this knowledge made the man angry. There were very few things that could build so much rage in Aiden as quickly as the thought of losing his family. Setting the troll toad down he figured it as best, because he had felt himself squeeze slightly which had to cause some damage to the creature if he risked to hold it much longer. Eyeing Xen'tu with a fiery gaze he pushed the orc weapons aside and began to make a little pile of kindling from the brush along the way of the road.

Once it appeared that there was enough to make a fire Aiden lit the wood and waited till the flame seemed to be strong enough to put a little kettle over it. While the food didn't appear to be much in the pouch he had it made a fine meal that stuck in the ribs. Smirking at Xen'tu he took a pinch of the meal. "I'd serve some to you to, but I don't think that the food would settle well with a toad. Shame..." Shaking his head he tossed the pinch into the pot and then reached into the bag for a little more and tossed a larger chunk of the dried sweet meat into the pot. It would make for a thick meat type porridge and the only other thing that Aiden liked to put into the kettle was some root of the Fanghorn plant. That little plant was plentiful and a weed, but it made for a fine addition to a hearty meat porridge. The dried food was something that Aiden traveled with from home and he only used it when he could not find other sources. For the most part this was going to function as a time that he couldn't find other sources. Barrens were rough land and he didn't have the patience to wait for a little snake or desert creature to cross his path. Tonight he could set a few traps and ensure that they had something to eat the next evening.

Gradually the stew began to thicken while Aiden dug out another 2 Fanghorn plants. Rubbing the majority of the dirt off the roots with his hands he then began to tear the root into bits. Aiden tossed the chunks into the stew and let the sink in the pot while a thin layer of brown oils seeped to the top. By itself the root was rather overpowering, but in the stew it gave a rich, rewarding scent.

The hunter waited for several more minutes before he moved the little pot away from the flame and he breathed in deeply. "Smells like its done." There was no telling if it would be to a troll's liking, but he found it to be a perfectly agreeable food. After a moment he grinned. "I don't think you've ever had a fine meal cooked by Aiden Silver." Chuckling a little he wandered over to the Direhorn and pulled the bowls out of the side saddle. Filling one he passed it to Zae'ju and then he filled the other for himself. "There's enough for you to have more. Be careful though. Sits heavy in the stomach." About time he finished saying that the troll hunter remembered how tender his own guts were feeling and he grimaced at the thought of a nice heavy meal. Still it was better than nothing. Glancing at the toad he shrugged. "Bugs for you I guess. That is unless you decide to suddenly become a troll again."

Zae'ju watched Aiden for the longest time again wondering to himself about how well humans seemed to deal with situations. Adapting on the fly seemed to come natural to them. With Trolls like his brother, it was much harder to progress forwards to new ways of thinking. Yet, he had nearly reduced himself or something else had within his mind, he didn't know if that was just his paranoia talking, but he had nearly debased to what Xen'tu had stood the prefect example. He sighed heavily, ashamed and frustrated. He looked up and raised his brows.

Xen'tu peered back at the man with a dour expression for a toad as he listened to the man drone on after moving so much away from his brother. He was worried, knowing the chatterbox hadn't said so much as a word since he had sat down. That couldn't be good. He wanted his brother to laugh and smile and xen'tu was already realising that his actions were not helping. He peered back at Aiden and tried to shift when he felt himself being squeezed. It was not a good feeling and his back legs scrabbled about Aiden's hand searching for release as he gave a croak of acknowledgement.

Both trolls watched the human work with varying levels of interest. Zae'ju knew his culinary skills were awful and jerky was the only thing he was anywhere near good at. His brother was different and took a keener interest. Xen'tu was displaying this intensely as he watched, hopping closer ignoring the heat of the fire nearby. Xen'tu ribbited in a slow answer as he watch and hated the fact Zae'ju and Aiden were going to be able to dine upon it. He wanted some too! He was tired of scrounging insect life or fumbling about Roses's back, picking off parasites. He shuddered, it was not worth thinking about. He could admit that Aiden wasn't shabby and that it smelt like something he would eat if he was in his normal body. Not for the first time did his send a prayer to his loa. For the longest time, it had seemed like the loa and Vo'qaska were in cahoots.

Zae'ju watched and idly scratched in the same spot where he had been impaled by a naga's trident without seeming to realise it. There was hardly a mark to indicate the wound site now. The smell surrounding his nostrils was heady and full of warmth. Something he did not feel like he currently deserved and he knew perhaps how Aiden would respond to that if Zae'ju deigned to tell him. He kept it to himself accepting the bowl and took another long sniff, "Ai be careful," he nodded before he caught Aiden's gaze, "T'anks," it was not just for the meal but for not leaving him to rot in his anger. His paranoia had run away with him, but it left him worried that something, like Aiden had said earlier, something was afoot. They had to get to Astranaar and soon.

Xen'tu inched closer to Aiden's bowl, just for the smell alone before it was lifted out of nose reach. He hopped to his own space and lost himself to his own thoughts. His eyes closed as he listened to the other men eat. Even Rose was munching on dried tussocks of grass. She would need fresh vegetation at some point he mused and he knew Ashenvale would provide that in a rich bounty. That was of course if the Sentinels that patrolled Ashenvale didn't take offense to the act. He wanted to seeZae'ju complete this mission safely which in turn meant that included the Human. A human that hadn't treated him as badly as he could of down. Xen'tu was very much aware that Aiden could have mocked and tortured him endlessly i his state as a toad. Instead, except fora few verbal jousts, he had been accommodating . Xen'tu was starting to see why Zae'ju wondered so much about them.

It wasn't not till much later that he sensed something shift further and he opened his eyes again to find Zae'ju staring at him. His brother was not alone in this and Xen'tu shifted uncomfortably. He hated being stared at. What was so damned curious? He shifted again and lost his footing. It was his turn to stare as he wiggled his four toes, two to a foot and he quickly checked himself all over. Xen'tu blinked, his vision was out of focus slightly but it was all there. He looked back at Aiden and his brother before he hiccuped loudly, wincing.

Zae'ju snorted, "Guess ya learned ya lesson den," eyeing his brother over. Seemed his brother was having a little issue with readjusting to a troll's senses and voice box as his brother didn't reply in words but hiccuped again. Zae'ju rose and moved to Rose's saddle bags and searched through them before he returned to his spot, flicking a garment at his younger brother. "Put dat on before ya scar ma friend fo' life, Xen Xen."

Xen'tu caught the kilt one handed and he flexed his thumb and finger before he realised that his transformation had lost all trace of the harness and kilt he had been wearing when his brother's mate had hexed him, a cool breeze made him shiver and he hastily made himself decent again glad that he no longer had the horrid slimy warty skin of a toad. He was larger than Zae'ju but his muscles had been trained for the use of a harsh lifestyle compared with the ranged one Zae'ju led and he ran a hand through his familiar mane of seagreen hair. He looked at his brother and grinned around his warthog-style tusks and stood albeit very shakily. He frowned, not quite understanding but as soon as he had fallen on his arse again, he realised he had been a toad for so many days now that his body had gotten used to it.

"Brud-hic" he scowled but Zae'ju grinned as he moved to help his brother stand, "Brud-hic,"
"Ai know... Be patient. Ya be learnin' dat, na?" Zae'ju replied as he stood as a crutch.
Xen'tu glanced at the human watching and nodded as he tested his weight.

Aiden dug into his bowl and slowly ate at what he had in the dish. It was far too much for his sore stomach and after a few bites he scooped at least half of it back into the pot which made a sizable portion. What remained was far more than even the serving Zae'ju had for himself. It was too bad they couldn't finish it all tonight. Leftovers of the sweet meat and Fanghorn Root Stew wasn't nearly as good the second day. Occasionally he would glance over at Xen'tu and then he noticed the toad begin to contort. At first it looked like little Xen'tu was trying to contort and then Aiden couldn't decide if there was something wrong or not. He frowned a little and then it occurred to him that Xen'tu was shifting back to himself.

By the time that thought occurred he couldn't help staring. It was such an odd process and Aiden hadn't ever seen that sort of shifting before. Still dumbfounded he continued to stare even after the troll had completed his shift. Soon as the kilt was tossed to the troll the man realized that it might have been awkward to stare so he gave a grunt and looked back to his food. While he was trying to stay focused on his food he couldn't help looking over at the troll with some suspicion. Aiden hated to think that now Xen'tu was back to his form and it posed a tremendous risk. This entire mission was at risk. As a toad it seemed that Xen'tu had accepted his fate, but as a troll there was no telling how the troll might act. His word wasn't much good and Aiden didn't really trust him. Earning trust took time and effort. Both of which Aiden suspected was not in Xen'tu's capabilities to give.

For a moment the two of them met each other's gaze and Aiden wasn't sure if he understood that look to be one of irritation or something else. Zae'ju was helping his brother to walk around and the two of them walking like that brought a slight pang of guilt. There was so much that Aiden had come to understand about the trolls. They were vicious, but they had families and just as much sentiment as humans. While it seemed possible they were even capable of love.

Silently getting up from his place the man went over to the Direhorn again and he carefully pulled out Xen'tu's dish. Filling it with what remained of the food he knew it would be too much for a regular troll or human to consume, but he suspected that Xen'tu might eat it all because he'd been subjected to eating the lowest of foods. "When you're ready sit down and eat. If you dare touch anything prepared by a human." Smirking a little he couldn't help enjoying the bit of irony. Trolls looked down on humans to an extent that some treated almost everything they touched as poison and his impression of Xen'tu had been such. For himself, Aiden had gotten over that little prejudice a long time ago.

Xen'tu had not realised this was what hexed folk went through when they were finally released or learned their lesson. It was a total change from the semi-squishable amphibian to solid muscle and bone. To have gone from something that had been little to no bigger than Aiden's hand to a troll larger than Zae'ju. Learning to walk again was humiliating but his brother spoke encouragement clearly having seen this happen before. He still couldn't see properly but he knew it would come in time. He had felt Aiden's eyes but he was too happy with being returned to his troll self that he did not seem to mind. How long that would last, Zae'ju mused, only time would tell. Xen'tu looked at his brother as he hung on to the shoulders, his hand resting in a fist on his brother's chest. The symbol of this seemed to be recognised by the hunter and Zae'ju hugged his brother. Xen'tu visibly stiffened before he relaxed. He was used to his older brother's huggable nature but it was clear he was not a hugger himself. Zae'ju helped him back to his spot.

He hiccuped again and knew that it was a remnant from all that croaking. Perhaps the toad wasn't quite done with him yet. He looked back at Aiden and sniffed derisively before he let out a series of hiccups in answer again. He scowled before Zae'ju took pity on him as he sat next to him. Xen'tu frowned as Zae'ju massaged his throat and neck.

"Takes a while fo' da vocal chords ta reform and kick in properleh," Zae'ju explained and nodded, "Xen'tu won't mind, ai imagine 'e be starving, hm?" Xen'tu could ony but nod. he had caught the smirk but since he couldn't fire a retort, he let it go. Finally his brother stopped attacking his throat and backed away. Xen'tu peered at the bowl before he leaned forwards and lifted it. He looked from it and then to Aiden with an expression that was clearly full of mixed reservations, "Ta-hic-anks," he scowled again but he paid no mind as he ate greedily. He had been right, it did smell as good as it tasted. A little heavy but he welcomed it wholeheartedly after the flies, crickets and other bugs he'd been forced to catch for himself.

Zae'ju felt more relieved to have his brother back. Yes, the man was a pain in the arse and invariably impossible to be around but he was hopeful the experience had changed Xen'tu for the better. The fact Xen'tu had picked up something Aiden not only had touched but also made spoke volumes. Stealing human food was one thing. Being given human was rare enough.

Back