Unpopular opinions!

Why not do an updated version of my unpopular opinions for fun? Hum.
  • If your argument starts with "I feel" rather than "I think", it is probably a shitty argument.
  • You can tell others to respect your feelings. They are in no way obligated to do so, and if you think otherwise, you are putting yourself above others in a selfish and immature way.
  • Good friends tell you when you are in the wrong, but still care enough about you to try and help you through it and remind you to be better than you are because they believe in you. If your friends are only sardonic or only sycophantic, those aren't friends--those are parasites.
  • If a company is too big to fail, it should no longer be a private entity.
  • Your favourite film is not the best film, it's just something that resonates with you. Your favourite film is, in fact, probably shit.
  • Your characters reflect aspects of you, your life, your beliefs, or the interpretations of other's beliefs... And not any one of these things is remotely unique to you. Get over it.
  • Hate speech is a real thing, with real consequences. Just ask World War 2 Germany, or Charlottesville.
  • If the first thing that comes to mind when your political faction is criticized, is criticism of the opposite side, realize you are afraid of the truth, and merely wish to win the ideology war--not make a better world.
  • Don't pursue your dreams. The only people that give you that advice are lunatics who got lucky and stumbled into millions of dollars, and the idiots who buy their wish fulfilling sycophantic dreams. Dreams are idealism of reality without consequences. Instead, pursue the things in your life that interest you, and ultimately choose the career whose consequences you can best live with.
  • Love is not forever. It doesn't fix a thing either. It's more like a drug you indulge in mutually with a partner.
  • True long term happiness is marrying your best friend. If you happen to have sex, that's great too.
  • Millenials are not "ruining everything." The generation before us indulged hippies, drugs, casual sex, massive amounts of debt, international wars, murder, rape, inequality, rock n' roll, and political corruption stories like "I'm not a crook". They're not better than millenials, they've simply become the authority they once fought and just like them, are afraid of change. Just like millenials will one day.
  • Get off your fat ass and workout. It's not the hamburger's fault that you're fat, it's yours.
  • Private healthcare is worse than cancer. At least cancer kills you and doesn't enslave you to debt payments for the rest of your life.
  • Life is not horrible. Life is in fact pretty great. Could always be better, but honestly, life is pretty great for most people in the first world.
  • Your father does smell of elderberry.

I don't like Harry Potter. Or Star Wars. Or Star Trek. Or Divergent. Or pizza. Or anything that most people like.

I need a life.

HA getting into any of those things does not grant you a life my friend. I would know

I like Taylor Swift. I'm not sure whether this is an unpopular opinion or not, because I know for a fact that a lot of people do love her, but when it comes to my social circles, I am the minority. Now, I've never met her so I can't say that I like her as a person, but I do love her music. Everything from her first country songs to the most recent Reputation album. I think she's a brilliant songwriter and she has a beautiful voice. I also don't get why people care about how many ex boyfriends she's had. No one asks who Ed Sheeran or Bruno Mars write all of their love songs or breakup songs for. And what does the number of exes have to do with the music quality anyway?

I think Gryffindor is overrated and Slytherin is underappreciated. Also, Quidditch is stupid and Snape was a hateful d*ck no matter what his reasons were.

I don't like Orange is the New Black. As a lady who is attracted to other ladies, many people recommended this TV show to me and I honestly tried. I got through about 3 or 4 episodes, but I honestly just don't like it. It seems to me that a lot of people on this thread don't like peanut butter, so I thought I'd mention this. I LOVE peanut butter. I also don't mind pineapple on pizza. And I think bananas taste good with literally any meal. I hate Summer and love Autumn. I don't like Drake, Coldplay or Radiohead's music. I think Instagram is stupid.

I don't like the Hunger Games or the Divergent series. I mean, they're okay, but they're not that great. I don't find Robert Pattinson attractive at all, Kristen Stewart is awesome, and I have no problem with the fact that Jacob imprinted on a baby. I liked Jar Jar Binks, and I despised Frodo Baggins. I think gingers with freckles are the most beautiful people and curly hair is prettier than straight hair. I've watched Frozen a hundred times and I could probably watch it a hundred more times. I liked every season of Glee, including 4, 5 and 6. I hated Finn Hudson and I never thought Rachel should be with him. I think Medusa is a victim, Athena is a bitch and Poseidon should be castrated. Cats are better than dogs in every way.

Also, the dress was white and gold.

I liked Jar Jar Binks, and I despised Frodo Baggins.
eDG66Io.png

Why not do an updated version of my unpopular opinions for fun? Hum.
  • If your argument starts with "I feel" rather than "I think", it is probably a shitty argument.
  • You can tell others to respect your feelings. They are in no way obligated to do so, and if you think otherwise, you are putting yourself above others in a selfish and immature way.
  • Good friends tell you when you are in the wrong, but still care enough about you to try and help you through it and remind you to be better than you are because they believe in you. If your friends are only sardonic or only sycophantic, those aren't friends--those are parasites.
  • If a company is too big to fail, it should no longer be a private entity.
  • Your favourite film is not the best film, it's just something that resonates with you. Your favourite film is, in fact, probably shit.
  • Your characters reflect aspects of you, your life, your beliefs, or the interpretations of other's beliefs... And not any one of these things is remotely unique to you. Get over it.
  • Hate speech is a real thing, with real consequences. Just ask World War 2 Germany, or Charlottesville.
  • If the first thing that comes to mind when your political faction is criticized, is criticism of the opposite side, realize you are afraid of the truth, and merely wish to win the ideology war--not make a better world.
  • Don't pursue your dreams. The only people that give you that advice are lunatics who got lucky and stumbled into millions of dollars, and the idiots who buy their wish fulfilling sycophantic dreams. Dreams are idealism of reality without consequences. Instead, pursue the things in your life that interest you, and ultimately choose the career whose consequences you can best live with.
  • Love is not forever. It doesn't fix a thing either. It's more like a drug you indulge in mutually with a partner.
  • True long term happiness is marrying your best friend. If you happen to have sex, that's great too.
  • Millenials are not "ruining everything." The generation before us indulged hippies, drugs, casual sex, massive amounts of debt, international wars, murder, rape, inequality, rock n' roll, and political corruption stories like "I'm not a crook". They're not better than millenials, they've simply become the authority they once fought and just like them, are afraid of change. Just like millenials will one day.
  • Get off your fat ass and workout. It's not the hamburger's fault that you're fat, it's yours.
  • Private healthcare is worse than cancer. At least cancer kills you and doesn't enslave you to debt payments for the rest of your life.
  • Life is not horrible. Life is in fact pretty great. Could always be better, but honestly, life is pretty great for most people in the first world.
  • Your father does smell of elderberry.

I genuinely agree with the majority of these points. Even the ones I disagree with I can at least understand to a degree. Like your point on private healthcare. Private health care is not good by any stretch of the mind, but universal health care is no better because it sacrifices quality and affordability. If it’s supplied to everyone then it’s not going to cover much other than the bare minimum and it’s going to require a lot of money. And of course we know where that funding is coming from.

Other than that I’d say that while hate speech is certainly a real thing people should grow a backbone so that those who use hate speech in their rhetoric aren’t allowed to influence us. Infringing upon one’s first amendment rights won’t stop hate speech it’ll only strengthen their cause.

And finally, my father does not smell like elderberry. More like cigarette smoke.
Great points though. Glad to see someone I can agree with in a thread titled Unpopular opinions!

• I really don't like Star Wars... My boyfriend makes a huge deal out of it, but I really don't care for which AT has four legs and which one has two...
  • I adore Sonic 06 because of childhood memories, and that also goes for Final Fantasy XIII...
    I bonded with my siblings over Sonic, and bonded with my mother over Final Fantasy XIII :p
  • I don't like Team Fortress 2. Like, at all. Mostly because I suck at it, and just can't seem to get any better...
  • I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I really enjoyed playing Halo 3: ODST when I was younger... It was the only Halo game we had at the time, so I had nothing to compare it to
  • Oh, and I hate coffee
  • And the sound of rain
I know I've mostly mentioned video games, but I play them quite a bit, so...
I can't think of much else, so there's my list for now

I find myself agreeing with alotta these as well. Anyway, off the top of my head:
  • Fallout: New Vegas is superior in every way to Fallout 3
  • Knights of the Old Republic II is a more interesting game than Knights of the Old Republic I and it'd be better if Obsidian were given the time to finish it
  • Video games can be an art form - case in point Bioshock
  • The superhero genre in movies and television is getting stale
  • Dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and especially Nagasaki was totally unnecessary

For the majority of the time I knew about it, I was totally fine with this 4/5/6th wave feminism, or whatever wave it is now. However, my psychology class is made up of 50% of these people, and if the topic ever swings around to gender or something and you have a differing opinion, it's an absolute nightmare, to the point where I just can't stand it now.

I think plants are equally important as animals, so veganism makes no sense. I personally feel very sorry for plants, I think they have a spirit too.

It is 1000 times better to posit an opinion that could get you into trouble than it is to constantly err on the side of caution. People with opinions are more interesting to read and listen to than people who are just there to produce exposition. For example, I rather dislike Richard Dawkins, but I'd much rather read what he writes and think he's arrogant and ineffectual in the grand scope of social change than I would read Peter Vardy and think that the volume of information is rather nice, but there's no meat with which I can engage and develop my own opinions.

Just a side note here: I don't think Vardy is bad at his job. I think he's found a niche in introducing people to Philosophy and Theology and I think that is admirable, however I would not use him for any purpose beyond referencing information for essays. Meanwhile, if I was writing a thesis, I wouldn't use Dawkins's (theological - scientific is an entirely different realm: can't knock him there) opinions as evidence unless I was specifically writing about New Atheism, but I think he, along with the late Hitchens, is a wonderful read if you're looking to form your own opinions and develop counter-arguments.

I believe humans are innately selfish.

1109_AR02.jpg

So did she. Do you think it's a good thing, though?

My personal unpopular opinion is that society is degenerating at a rapid rate, and a more traditionalist mindset would be quite helpful nowadays.

1109_AR02.jpg

So did she. Do you think it's a good thing, though?

My personal unpopular opinion is that society is degenerating at a rapid rate, and a more traditionalist mindset would be quite helpful nowadays.
My personal unpopular opinion is that people are starting to be nicer and more understanding nowadays. Not sure if this is because of the new age movement or the enlightenment seekers (or whatever the hell should I call them), but honestly many people are doing so many good stuff, and I think it depends where you look. If you only watch tv or search bad news on the interwebs, then yeah, you'll gonna see some nasty shit. But personally I believe people are more helpful nowadays. Or actually, the same as they always were. But the internet lets us see anything we want, so depends where we direct our attention.

When you ask anyone if society is selfish or bad or degenerating, they will likely say yes. Even a complete degenerate will say this and believe he is the good guy. So it's a matter of perspective really. We always think we are right, but with some empathy we can understand the other person, no matter who they are or where they came from. People are just misunderstood imho.

I like the Confederate flag (all versions, specifically the battle flag and naval jack) and the Confederacy in general fascinates me. I may be biased due to my Southern heritage, but I think the Confederate mythos is by far one of the most interesting topics. I also admire the many statues of Confederate officers and soldiers which were erected across the American South. I do not, however, support violence nor the conflict which surrounds Confederate symbols. I don't fully support the removal of the statues or flags, but at the same time I cannot defend them. There are to many sides to the conflict and to many perspectives for anyone to claim they're in the right.

People who make commentaries on the human condition, and who use that to justify all the villainy of the world, typically do so to avoid personal responsibility, or to give themselves more knowledge and power than they can possibly have over the events surrounding them.

Heh. I dont even celebrate xmas. My un-popular opinion is that its just another blatant theft, of a ancient Pagan holiday (not sure of the name off the top of my head, I'd have to look it up). This time of year for me is (wel, not yet, but after Xmas and in the NY period) the time vhere I get alot more client traffic, due to winter holidays and ppl geting hornyer then usual, and spending money more then usual. So the only thing I celebrate this time of year is New Year, and a big jump in income until... about mid-January.

Heh. I dont even celebrate xmas. My un-popular opinion is that its just another blatant theft, of a ancient Pagan holiday (not sure of the name off the top of my head, I'd have to look it up). This time of year for me is (wel, not yet, but after Xmas and in the NY period) the time vhere I get alot more client traffic, due to winter holidays and ppl geting hornyer then usual, and spending money more then usual. So the only thing I celebrate this time of year is New Year, and a big jump in income until... about mid-January.
I ageee, but I still celebrate it. *shrugs* it’s just the way I was raised even though I’m an atheist raised by atheist parents it seems like Christmas has become more of a tradition, at least here in America, than a religious holiday.

Back