We the Unwanted We the Unwanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Esra T. Montaque (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Esra smirks over at Donovan with a hum. "Just so you know, so far I do not think I would waste an arrow on you: but... I suppose we probably need to get ready to work together. Do you trust me enough for when I will be scouting for you and the others?" Her head tilts and she walks up to him, hand being held out with a slightly sly grin. "This, by the way, can either be a temporary truce, or the start of a glorious friendship... or enemy-ship?" Esra whispers the last part skeptically.

She had a fox like nature, hard to trust at times, decieving: but also fairly blunt and truthful in other occasions. She can be friendly, or be just as ruthless: truly a difficult person to understand. You know, besides her child like nature that she uses about ninty nine percent of the time.

Donovan Blackmoore (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Esra seemed all too pleased with the turn out of the situation. Donovan frowned slightly when she mentioned wasting an arrow. "It would be a waste. I doubt you've the strength to send an arrow through armor." Trust was not in his nature so he just ignored that part. There were few that he trusted and his old benefactor was one of the few. The man had done right when no one else was keen to. Briefly glancing down at the girl's hand he took hold of it and squeezed hard enough to feel her hand begin to fold in on itself. "Aye...Its the beginning of one of those things." He intended to make her hand hurt though he doubted it would be bad enough to inhibit her ability to shoot an arrow. "Just mind you do your job and I'll do mine."

The antics of the girl were not of a concern to Donovan. Rather he figured it was better to let her know he was here to do his duty and friendship was only a bonus if it happened. Otherwise she was just another face and part of his duty to the Guardians.

Last edited by a moderator:
[lllya Lott] Donovan Blackmoore (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)
Esra took the liberty in taunting Donovan, and the tensions started to rise again, which made Illya clear her throat.

"We will be leaving in daybreak. With the two of you, that makes us eight in total, so we probably have to use a wagon to carry our goods in. We will travel by horseback, and scout by foot. That way we can cover more ground. It's going to be a long one, and we are preparing for the worst, so I need you each to be on your guard in the next few days. We are going to be packed provisions for the entire duration. Should we need to, we will retreat.

"Now listen to me, Donovan. You might disapprove of Adran, but follow his lead if all goes well. Remember, he is the diplomat, not you. God knows what would happen if you cross the line during negotiations. Worst to come, we won't make it out."

Illya started walking out. "I am going to check on Clay to make sure everything is in line. You guys play nice, you're not kids anymore."

Last edited:
Esra T. Montaque ( Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis )

Esra would take that as a challenge but knew better, "My arrows can pierce, potentially... Don't underestimate me." However, when he squeezed her hand so tightly that it hurt, her eyes widen and she put on a false behavior of sadness: letting out a purposeful whimper and tugging her hand away with crocodile tears. "Y-You hurt me! How could you? Should I tell Illya? Adran? Hmm, maybe I hold onto this fact- it may even bruise."

She rubbed gently at her right palm and fingers with her left hand: the maiden never actually expected him to do anything to show strength, "Your job is probably just as important as mine, so do take care not to kill anyone. I won't have to put up with you much, since I will be a few two acres ahead of you... If there is trouble, my signal is usually two to three long whistles, by the way. I trust you will tell the others that there is danger and if you move forward- that you will take care." She took a serious nature on to her front now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meeting the girl's gaze he shrugged. It didn't matter who she told. Illya was right there and witnessed the whole thing. Esra could complain all she wanted. She was playing with real soldiers now and it was best she started to learn complaining and threatening to tattle didn't work. "Do what you like. You're the one that chose to shake my hand." Releasing the girl's hand he nodded in agreement to Illya's command. Of course she would bring up his lack of ability to negotiate. There wasn't even reason to question what would happen. Anyone that had heard Donovan speak knew it would simply incinerate any chances they had at peace. Following Adran's orders as well as playing body guard were his orders. That and silence at times of speech. None of it complicated though it was going to be difficult.

Finally he was left alone with Esra once more and she seemed to have better sense now. "Aye Esra." Now that she chose to act as an adult he would acknowledge her by name and treat her as an equal. "Two or three whistles indicates danger. I'll do my job." Glancing down at her feet he smirked. "If those aren't comfortable I'd suggest you wear something else and maybe some extra rags. Feet get cold if you walk all day." He'd had his fair share of marching. Taking horseback was going to be nice for a change. Well if he was given a horse to ride. Either way Donovan was going to come prepared for the worst.

*****************************************************************************************

The old man couldn't help smiling. Illya had always been a smart one. She had chosen his adopted son to take part of this. "I couldn't be more proud to have a son such as yourself." Bending over he held onto the short little man. Though he was not his son by blood he may as well have been. Just before he brought Donovan here to the Guardians he had lost his own son. Donovan had been a good and fiery lad. "Now the gods be with you." He knew very well it was dangerous, but also an honor.

Donovan had only stopped just before daybreak to tell the old man that he was going to leave. Pulling away from the old man he nodded. "Aye...I'll be back. It takes more than words to kill me."

Chuckling some the old man shook his head. "Get on with it now." Shivering as the door opened he watched the little man leave and then he returned to his bed and crawled under the covers.

Taking himself to the center of the fortress he saw that a wagon was being loaded. Since he was already prepared he did what he could to get them ready. In a short while Adran would be joining them and Donovan would find himself taking orders from a forked and silver tongued beast. One that would likely get them killed. No matter how distasteful the job it was his and he planned to do with honor and excellence.

[Horus Flicke] Richard Kingsman (Andaris, Helies)
The crowning of the new king was a promising event for the Kingdom of Luina. Horus had kept close tabs on the boy since he was a young prince. Unlike his forefathers, Rufus Andelorn was crafty and venturous, a monarch capable of bringing Luina to the height of its current abilities. The kings before him have failed to properly quell rebellions of the Jensen Province, and even worse, have failed to deal with the Guardian threat that had been around for centuries. He expected great things from Rufus, no doubt about that.

The banquet in the palace saw the Helians in the most lively condition than they had seen in years. The roads were lit up with festive lights at every turn, and packed tight with a wide variety of events, ranging from parades to concerts.

All the officials in the King's Guard that were present in the castle stood right behind the new king, which was considered one of the greatest honors that one could experience. Horus, being the High Commander, was directly to the left of King Rufus Andelorn himself. The new king raised his hand up, and as if on queue, the buzzing commotion went silent nearly instantly.

"People of Luina," Rufus said in his silky voice, "we have gathered today to celebrate another successful period of unity between the four provinces. Let us toast to the long standing of the Kingdom."

"Hear hear!" chorused the streets.

Rufus turned towards Horus. "Horus, my dear friend, your people needn't stand there. Enjoy yourselves. Tomorrow we will discuss what is to happen with the military moving forward." He turned towards the officers and commanders that were lined up behind him. "We will strive for greatness. Give your sword and shield to me, and I will return to you the most prosperous period that has ever come to Luina."

Horus smiled. He and many of his people had no interest in festivities. The fun and games started tomorrow.

Esra T. Montaque( Impregnable Fortress: Montaque Manner, Geraldis )

Her green gaze flashes away, "They are comfortable enough, I am light on my feet and have an easier time without rags, I need to have as well of a feel as I can for a land under my feet... no need to get stuck in mud or cause a slide of land." She turned and retreated to her home, setting out her supplies and explaining to her father everything of the rest of the events for that day. Then, she curled up in her bed and slept: Nearly oversleeping.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Morning, she groans and gets up, hurriedly gathering and preparing her gear, before starting out the front door.

"I know you are excited, but do not forget to give your Old father a kiss, huh?" Jack laughed quietly, walking up to her as his daughter embraces him. "Be safe, I cannot risk loosing you as well... you are so much like your mother." He ruffled her hair and waved her off.

Esra scurried up to the group, eager and prepared for the day, though understanding her father's worries. The most dangerous thing that she had done is try and take on a bull elk... not a wise choice. Her bow was over her shoulder, quiver stocked with arrows, and a rucksack hanging at her side with some dry tack, dried meat, and water. "Ready..."

[Richard Kingsman] Horus Flicke (Andaris, Helios)

The banquet was a mingling of rich colors, red, blue, gold, purple, and green. Richard stood in his position behind the High Commander, Horus. Here today. There was no greater honor than to stand behind the king. This was the kind of moment that he lived and breathed for. At last he was here and it didn't have to be the pinnacle of his career. There was still much service left in him. Richard had the constitution of a lion. His days of fighting in the name of the king were far from over.

As the king offered for them to join the festivities Richard simply stayed his ground. It was really more of an offer to Horus to make such a decision. A carefully guarded smile came to Richard's face as his ears were greeted with a hopeful message. Drawing his sword he held it out in front of himself. Officers behind him followed suit. "I live to serve." It was the appropriate response. He remembered his father standing in such a place as himself. As a boy he swelled with pride knowing that his father lived to serve the king and now he made the same oath. Tomorrow would be the day that he would know how the king desired for this service to be carried out.

Adran Triveron (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Adran woke with a headache, the fighting from last night had put some serious strain on his mind, and while sleep was a comfortable release, the pain lingered when he awoke. Nevertheless, woke before dawn to pack all of his necessary medical supplies, made sure to pack his spectacles and gloves, and took stock of how the Guardians were doing in terms of overall medical supplies. As he expected, supplies were running low, he only hoped they would be able to stock up in Luina, but that was assuming they even got past the gates.

As he made his way to the center of the fortress he caught site of the wagon being loaded and, once again as he expected, seven other Guardians packing up. The sight caused him to chuckle to himself, One day I'll have a talk with Clay about how to count. He thought. Claius always over prepared when it came to a particularly dangerous mission and Adran was relieved to see his friend cared about him enough to do the same in this instance. That relief quickly faded when he saw the faces of Guardians accompanying him.

Esra was a surprise, but not an unwelcome one, he'd observed her skill with a bow and trusted her scouting abilities and as for Vee Gregerson and his friends, he had no particular thoughts about as they've never really crossed paths before. What really shocked him was that Donovan and Illya, two of the last people he'd of expected, were loading their belongings onto the wagon. He decided not to incite any more trouble and kept stone faced as he approached the wagon.

Giving a salute to the Major General, he loaded his supplies onto the wagon and turned to face her. "Is that everything we need for the journey?"

[Illya Lott] Adran Tiveron (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Illya woke up in a good mood, and was glad to see everyone was getting situated without a problem. She and Donovan had been working on packing when Adran approached her.

"Is that everything we need on the journey?" He inquired.

She picked herself up and pat her hands together. "Well, if you want anything else we got more room, but honestly, there's nothing that we don't have here. Claius thought of everything."

Claius Vondale (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Claius walked over to see Illya engaged with a conversation with Adran. He waved and approached the two.

"Good morrow. You guys should be ready to depart soon. I hope the larger group doesn't become a bother, Adran. Everyone just volunteered up and I figured you can use em. Just stay safe, you two. Tell that to the others for me."

Claius patted the horse nearest to him. "Our fastest ones. Should get you there as quickly as possible. Oh,and don't worry about the fortress. My father and I will take care of things."

He smiled. It will be a while before he will be able to see them again, but he remained hopeful that they will return with good news.

Esra T. Montaque
( Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis )

Esra did not make a move towards the carriage, she would carry her own weight anyways. Everything she had on her she needed to keep close- including if there was trouble or if she gets a bit peckish while walking. Her eyes had slight dark marks under them, suggesting that even with her glorious excitement, she was also rather tired. She did get a bit of sleep: but not nearly as much as the girl wished.

She stood and waited for directions to set off, holding a map in hand as she examined the terrain closely to get a better idea of what it will be like to walk along it.

Adran returned his friends smile "Lucky for you I came prepared for more troops. Do try not to get mauled by bears while we're gone, I wont be around to patch you up, and we all know who my replacement is." It was a little inside joke, Adran's partner in the infirmary was still a recruit, talented but inexperienced. The hazing was just their little way of encouraging the lad to improve.

He stuck his hand out to shake Claius' "We'll be back soon, until then be prepared for anything."

Of course it was only natural for Claius to think that they were all here because they volunteered. Donovan quietly kept on with the work. There wasn't really anything left to load by now so instead he went about the wagon ensuring that everything was tied down and the horses' saddles were properly fitted to them. He wasn't here because he had wanted to be. It was an order and this as his duty.

Donovan watched as Adran took his time to chat things up and shake hands. Standing as if he had all the patience in the world he held onto the reins of the horse that Adran was to be riding. The only indication that he was wanting to be leaving and get this over with was the constant rubbing of his thumb over his index finger while he waited for Adran to do something. Looking out toward the hills where they would be riding and then back he let out a long quiet breath. It was better to breathe deeply and quietly rather than sound annoyed. Donovan shifted his weight from one foot to another and gazed out over the hills again. Hopefully the chatter would be done soon enough.

Esra T. Montaque
( Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis )

The archer and scout approaches Adran, tapping at his shoulder and pointing quietly down at the map and along a forest line. "This is the safest route I believe, by the way. I will at least scout along this line, but the reason we should travel off the path is because of most of us being range: if we do need to fight, the trees will provide coverage..." She glances at Donovan and smiles, "Donovan! What do you think? Path or forest lining?"

She held the map out to him expectantly, truly actually wanting to see what he would want to do: he was one of the only people who can fight up close on this expedition. So, if it affects him negatively, then maybe they should see what he thinks is easiest and most importantly, the less risky and injury inducing.

A sudden high pitched screech about had Donovan jump right out of his boots. Turning toward Esra he frowned. "Well we have a wagon. How much time would you like to spend chopping down trees?" He wasn't sure what she was thinking when it came to something like this. "Unless there's a road in the forest wide enough to get the wagon through." Occasionally there was a wider road but, he couldn't seem to think of any off the top of his head. Typically when he left the fortress for something it was on foot or horseback and he never had to worry about something larger. "Otherwise I'd like the coverage of a forest." Anything to stay out of view longer was better in his opinion. Really it was up to Adran though. "Doesn't matter so much what I think. Its up to Adran." Leaving it rather blandly he waited to see what Esra and their silver tongued politician could come up with together.

Esra T. Montaque
(Impregnable Forest, Geraldis)

"Ai, I said along for a reason, not through, there is a path and it is a bit more of a hike and distance but it is safer: the horses should narrowly be able to pull the carriage along the path. No need to actually go through the forest, due to the path there being rather narrow. Even walking is treacherous there...." Esra huffs a bit irritably, but kept a serious demeanor.

Claius Vondale (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Claius clasped Adran's hand firmly, and then exchanged hugs with Illya.

"Stay safe you guys. Hopefully, once you come back, we will be able to leave this fortress once and for all."

Claius watched as the lot got ready to depart, Esra was excitedly pestering Donovan, who looked somewhat annoyed, Gregorson and his friends were pumping their fists in the air and chanting. Illya was whispering into her horse's ear and stroking his mane.

"Good luck." He said, and returned into the walls of the Fortress.

As Adran mounted his horse he listened carefully to both opinions and considered for a moment. "As long as we're not actually travelling through the forest, cover will be very important. Lets take Esra's path to be safe."

Esra T. Montaque
(Impregnable Forest, Geraldis)

"Lets go then!" Esra already begins to walk ahead: since she would need to due to being a scout anyways, if they did not set off right away, that was fine. Having had that map for some time, she memorized everything fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back