We the Unwanted We the Unwanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donovan Blackmoore (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Donovan was more than glad to be finally moving. Well, he was close to moving. Once Adran was mounted he handed the reins to the man and turned to get his own horse. The shield on his back was always somewhat awkward when mounting. He did get on and then fastened the shield to the side of the horse. I covered one of Donovan's legs but it was a good place for it till Donovan would have need.

Sounded as though they would be taking the path chosen by Esra. Donovan gave the girl a mischievous grin. "Well then we'd best be off." Waiting for Esra to take the lead he followed though he kept closer to Adran. The man would need some extra protection as he was not particularly skilled in weaponry. That made the job a little more difficult. Meant that while Donovan would have to risk his life for the man he would also have to try and stay in good shape too. It was hard enough to keep someone alive much less yourself at the same time.

Adran Triveron (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

As the scout took off to get a head start in front of the group Adran looked around at his traveling companions. With a respectful nod towards Donovan and Illya, he said "Well then if everyone else is ready, lets get going. We're going to want to get there as soon as possible."

Donovan Blackmoore (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

"Well said." Donovan lost his silence for a short second. He met Illya's gaze and then started out. No matter how often he'd travelled outside of the walls it was never something like this. It was not a good feeling. Adran was going to get them killed. That had been Donovan's feelings since last night and now he was just going to be able to witness the disaster first hand while being denied any right to speak.

Outside seemed to be calm enough. Donovan spurred his horse to get it to move a little bit ahead of Adran. He needed to at least be able to hear of Esra indicated any kind of trouble.

Esra T. Montaque.
( Leaving the Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis )

The young Montaque ran ahead rather nimbly, she was used to this as she went about a third, if that, an acre ahead to start with, so she was still in sight to them and they could not get lost. Later, she may go further ahead but the girl was not certain on how long her signal would need to be to go so far.

As long as she could find a way to signal though, she would not especially be too worried. The ranger like woman shook her head with a groan, "this is going to be a long journey... well... longer than any I have taken before..." Esra blinks: 'stop talking to yourself! . . . There really is not anything to do besides keep an eye out, is there? That is my job though....'

Adran Triveron (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)

As the group started traveling at a comfortable yet quick speed, Adran let his mind slip away from the area he was in. He was taken back to the Heliesian courtroom, and there before him stood his three imaginary kings. One kind and benevolent, another cautious but curious, and the final ruthless and unforgiving. His mind raced as he struggled to argue with all three.

The kind king would be the easiest to work with, all he would need to do is wax poetic about the original purpose of the Guardians, how well they served that duty, recount the history of how they were unjustly shunned for the heroic deeds, and then compose a desire for peace and harmony between the Guardians and the nation of Luina. His cautious king was the hardest to figure out as that required information that he didn't have, if they were let into the city Adran would have to survey the streets to determine which areas Luina was lacking that the Guardians excel in, and from there create a business proposal between the Guardians and Luina that the king would find acceptable, which again was impossible since he had no idea how the king tended to negotiate. The third king was the one that scared him the most, if this king is half as ruthless as he imagined, they'd need to retreat back to the fortress at double speed to inform Clay and the others to prepare for war.

He decided to focus all his efforts on constructing a argument for the cautious king since in his mind, if the king was kind, peace was assured and if the king was ruthless, war was inevitable. And while these absolutes made it easier to focus, they would trouble his mind for the rest of the journey.

[Illya Lott] Adran Triveron (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)
Illya glanced up at the sky, which was already beginning to fade to black. The sunset probably was beautiful, but the thick array of trees completely shrouded the end of the forest from their view. Sooner or later, Esra should return so they could set camp for the night.

Illya dropped the carrots and lettuce into the cauldron of water she boiled minutes before. Conveniently, the wagon was even loaded with firewood that was readily at their disposal. She wrinkled her nose as the two vegetables boiled. She had gotten sick of eating the limited diet of vegetables that could sustain through the winter only a week after the season begun, and would constantly complain about those two in particular. Radishes and spinach were workable, but the flavorless tastes in the carrots and lettuce was disgusting. It didn't take a genius to figure out why they were packed for the journey. She could almost imagine Claius back at the fortress with a expression of amusement as he ate his dinner, but the truth was she never seen him act outside his professional nature.

She pulled out a ladle from the storage and scooped up the soup in bowls, passing it to the Gregorson bunch and Donovan. Filling two more for herself and Adran, she walked over and held it down to him, who accepted it. She took a seat next to him.

"Hey," she said, "I'm sorry about yesterday."

Adran glanced up from his soup. "Don't be, I understand where you were coming from. You've nothing to apologize for." This answer deeply dissatisfied Illya, since it was out of Adran's typical politeness.

"It's been a long winter for all of us..." She paused. She wanted to give him a genuine apology, but could not think of anything to say. "I guess it got under my skin. Really, I guess it got under all of our skins. I just vented in the wrong way."

"For all it's worth, I do believe that if it came to war, the Guardians will win." He took a more sorrowful tone. "It's just many of us won't be there to see it."

Illya was skeptical about this. She had been lashing out at Adran out of bottled up anger towards the Crown, but when she thought about it alone she realized that, even as a population that is mainly composed of soldiers, they would be fighting at impossible odds. That was one of the reasons she decided to join the expedition; Adran had been right.

"I'm not sure about that myself." She said. "I really thought about it after I called you..." She furrowed her eyebrows. "I can't even remember what I called you anymore... But really, I thought about it. You're right. We shouldn't be throwing lives out there before attempting to make a peaceful transition."

"Thank you." He replied. "I just couldn't bear to see all of those lives lost, knowing that I didn't do everything within my power to try and settle it peacefully."

She smiled. If the soup didn't warm her heart, that sure did. It reminded her of the family value that kept the Guardians bonded. It would be something that she would tell Claius if he was in the same situation.

She got up, and looked out into the distance. Hopefully, Esra returns soon.

There was a bowl of soup waiting for her.

Esra T. Montaque
( Whitewood Forest, Geraldis )

Esra was a bit distracted, she was staring out at the horizon, wondering and lost and thought before spotting a little creature, though rather plump, hopping it's way along. Then another... The aimed for the one further away; a sharp scree and then silence, another screech of dismay and more silence. Her eyes were lit up triumphantly as the female gathered up the two creatures and began back towards the ground.

"I wonder if they already ate... If not, then maybe they will be happy I took longer? If I hadn't, then I would not have spot these two..." Her eyes were merrily lit up as she saw the hearth of fire and let out a casual whistle, "Hmm? Awe, you already made the stew? You forgot the most important ingredient!" She held up the two rabbits by their ears before setting them aside by their gear, wiping off the blood off of her arrows afterwards.

[Illya Lott] Esra T. Montaque (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)
Illya was stabbing herself as she saw Esra pull out the rabbits. However, a voice in her head was telling her that she needed to save it.

"We'll put that in the back with the other foods. Thanks Esra," she said, and took the rabbits from her delicately.

She ladled up the remaining soup and handed it to Esra. After cleaning up the cauldron, she turned her attention to the group.

"We need to establish night shifts, but don't worry, we all will be getting enough sleep. Today, I'm going to take first watch, and Donovan the second. We will rotate like this until we arrive at the capitol, if we arrive at all."

She gestured to the wagon. "There is plenty of blankets in there for all of us, so feel free to get enough to keep you warm for the night. I'm going to go scan the perimeter, and Donovan, make sure you get a some rest soon."

With that, she clipped her weapons belt on and left the camp.

Donovan Blackmoore ( Whitewood Forest, Geraldis )

Food was a scarce commodity and Donovan recognized the soup well enough. He wasn't much for complaining. It was better than he had got as a boy several times and perhaps better than only a few weeks past. "Smells the same." That was unfortunately the only nice thing he could think to say at this time. "Nourishing I'm sure." With a grin he lifted the bowl to his lips and decided to drink it down fast. The broth was easily guzzled and then he savored what was left of the chunks in the bottom of it.

By the time he was munching on what was actually left in the bowl Illya was making some sort of flowery speech. This was almost sickening to listen to. As much as he hated to hear it the idea was a good one. Far better sounding than it was the night before. Still he couldn't believe that it would work. There wasn't a chance that the King would want to give them their land back. Why would he? A king had everything to gain by denying them the same as all the others had before. Donovan remained silent and only glanced up when he felt the need or if there was someone moving about the camp.

At last Esra came with a pair of rabbits. Tempting as the meat was Donovan knew they couldn't live on it. A man could eat them all winter and starve. They seemed to be an animal of death. Still it would be nice to have some meat one of these nights. Boiled rabbit with some nice potatoes. It was making his stomach start to growl. Maybe a bit of cabbage in with it. If they had enough he might get a shot at having some mint leaves over the rabbit meat and then some potato broth to soak it in. Donovan had to tear his eyes away from the cart as they were being loaded in. As Esra looked for a place to sit he moved over. "Spots warm if you car to rest there." So far she was pulling her weight and he could appreciate that.

While Esra was eating it seemed that Illya was going to start dividing the night watch duties. First watch or last it didn't matter to Donovan. It was likely why Illya took the first. He always figured she had a preference to sleep in the wee hours of the morning rather than the early hours of night. Sometimes it was difficult to get rest right away after dinner. Nodding at her order he rose.

Donovan dug into the back of the cart for a blanket. Wrapping one around his shoulders he nestled in near his horse. No reason for the creature to get spooked or try running off. It was part of the life of soldiering. Those taking watch would more than likely take turns during waking hours to be watching the night and sleeping to be with the horses.

((OOC:: As a side note. Your body will burn more calories to process rabbit meat than it will get from eating it. You would starve if rabbits were the only meat in your diet.))

Last edited:
(( I actually already knew this: random thing is my Sis and I were discussing this while looking at our rabbit... he is not a meat rabbit, just a little lop... ))

Esra T. Montaque
(Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)

Esra smiled thankfully at Donovan that night, sitting where he had moved after gathering a blanket and casting it over her shoulders. "Thank you... I will see if I can spot something better than rabbits during my scouting, I know that you cannot eat just them... but a little meat always made me happier..." She glanced off towards the stars, later storing away her bowl before going to the outskirts of the camp where the firelight does not shine, falling asleep under a tree with a content expression.

Then, very anticlimactically, the scout fell asleep. The end of her part for now.

Last edited:
Donovan Blackmoore (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)

A light nickering sounded and Donovan forced his eyes open. Illya was approaching his spot. She knew the routine well enough. Slowly getting to his feet he took the blanket off and handed it to Illya. "Moving at dawn again?" It was as much as he figured. With the early daylight hours it was tempting to return and get things ready to move but, it was also a critical time to keep watch. An enemy would find this a prime time to attack and often in the early morning light they were eager. There were still enough shadows that he thought he could make out a light. It was shifting slightly. They weren't supposed to have anyone following or out there. Squinting against the shadows of the early morning and just the peak of gold over the hills he watched for another couple of minutes. This was not right. "Hey....Illya?" Calling gently he waited for her to respond. "Illya what do you make of this?"

That was also the reason that the other person on watch would sleep with the horses. At least they were close enough to make a second set of eyes or even make a warning while the watchman stood ground to make time for the others to wake up.

[Illya Lott] Donovan Blackmoore (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)
Illya opened her eyes groggily. She must've slept around four hours when Donovan urgently woke her up. Now, she was trying to adjust to the darkness, but the blurry lights in the distance stood out in her still disoriented vision. Moving specks of light. Torches. Her eyes widened, and her mind cleared up a little.

"Stay here." She hissed. "I'm going to check it out. If something is to happen on my end, wake the group up and get them ready and armed. Don't bother with the armor. None of you will have time."

She pulled her dirks out of their sheathes, not even bothering with the belt, and quickly ran closer to the source. Yes, Illya determined, it is approaching the campsite.

When she was close enough, she scaled up a tree and prepared for the worst. If it was the King's Guard, an engagement would surely destroy any change with negotiations. She stayed crouched in the trees, hidden by the leaves and branches. As the approached, she could hear at least five men talking in a low voice.

"Are you sure?" One inquired.

"Definitely," a gruff voice answered. "There was smoke rising from the forest."

"Isn't that where our outpost is?" The same man asked again.

"I'm telling you, that wasn't it!" The gruff voice answered, this time slightly annoyed.

"I knew it." A third man spoke, his voice shrill and whining. "I knew we shouldn't have been hunting so near the Guardians... I knew--"

"SHUT UP!" The voice roared. Illya took this opportunity to drop down from her hiding spot directly behind the men, who didn't notice the faint thud as she landed during his roar.

"Need something, boys?" She asked.

"HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!" The gruff man shouted, stumbling forward as he turned around. "Who the devil's hell are you?"

"Geraldi, are you lot?" She asked. "What are you doing so far in Whitewood?"

The third man started babbling. "She's... she's... Guardian!" Pitifully, he turned and bolted the way he came. The others looked frightened as well, but held their ground.

"What are you doing so far in our territory?" The first man inquired. "The fortress is miles away from here."

"Mmm..." She said, "we are making our way to Helies." This alarmed the group, and they all looked at each other uncertainly.

"How many are you?" A new voice spoke. "We should inform the King's Guard in our area about this."

Her eyes narrowed. "Do you value your life?"

"Wha- what?"

She held her dagger up. "Your life."

"I- I do."

"Then you should go back to your village and get some sleep. You wasted enough of my precious time, and I don't need your local King's Guard to become a hindrance. Do me a favor. Don't inform officials. They probably won't be alive at the end of the day if you do."

They all quietly walked off, some of them running as they got far enough. She rolled her eyes and headed back to camp.

"It's clear Donovan. Bunch of idiots. Thanks for informing me, though." She sighed. "I guess it's too much to assume that I can some more sleep now, hm?"

Last edited:

It seemed at times that officers forgot a good soldier knew how long it would take to get the others moving. Still he let her rattle her orders. These sort of things made an officer feel worthwhile. Not that it was offensive in the least. Just a small observation he had made after several years of working with Illya. Also a measure of safety to be in the practice. There were some soldiers that didn't know how to do anything unless they were told so it was better to be in the habit to tell them all whether they knew or not. Leaning forward slightly he strained his eyes to see what was going on.

Illya was too far out for him to see her though he could hear a bit of what was said as the voices raised in alarm. Sometimes the woman was far too keen on showing mercy. What would stop the men from informing the Kings Guard anyway? This was likely why she didn't want him to do any of the talking. Just one more piece of evidence that he had grown too fond of the soldiers life. Her return was typical for an officer as well. There was a certain level of pride. Of course the men were idiots and now Donovan was thanked for informing her though not without a slight sting. Illya had to put in her little punch for sleep. Blandly he met her gaze. "I don't know if I'd sleep now. You'll only wake in a short while and far more upset than you are now." Nothing was worse than barely falling asleep and having to wake again. At least that was his experience.

While it was just the two of them he sat down on the side of the hill to watch for any other activity. "I'd be tempted to get the others moving early." Glancing at Illya he then turned his head toward the hills and forest again. "Why would you let them go? You got them shook up a little yes, but we have no way of ensuring they don't speak. The only guarantee is to cut their tongues out or kill them." So far as Donovan was concerned the only good odds were the absolutes. Before she could correct him he decided to add why he was wrong. "I know it wouldn't help our case if we're supposed to be peaceful. I still don't trust the men not to talk about what they saw. You could have let me run out and chase them. They wouldn't have had time talk or see us. In fact they couldn't have been sure of anything besides a horseman charging after them." He wouldn't have had to kill them with that plan. Still it was all the more he figured he was safe to say. Much more and he figured that he would end up on the bad side of Illya. So far he and the woman had a fairly decent understanding of one another and he wanted to keep it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Illya Lott] Donovan Blackmoore (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)
Illya shifted her gaze back towards the fortress. She sighed.

"Donovan, sometimes things are a bit more than just killing people. If four people disappeared in territory near the Guardians, and another knew the culprits, we will be hard pressed to negotiate terms with the king. Worst off, we'd be killed right on spot for murder. It's not like I didn't want to kill them, and I very well would have, given the chance. It's just I'm trying to keep us safe and I need to play the right cards to do that."

She lied down and looked at the sky. "Tell me Donovan, do you dislike me? Honestly, I won't be offended, but I feel like, all of this, you don't appreciate me for dragging you into it." She laughed.

"The reason why I requested for you to come along was to bond with the other members of the family. Our family. No matter if we have qualms about this or that, there's a value that brings us together. I wanted you to see that."

Sometimes it was a little surprising when Illya would break out of her form and actually want to talk. Donovan raised one eyebrow and he looked over at the woman. She was laid out all comfortable on the ground and just staring at the sky as if it had all the answers. "You're a fine officer. One of the better ones in fact." Donovan brought one knee up to rest an elbow on. "Illya I like you as a person. We have a fairly decent understanding of one another. You know your job and I know mine. If you want me to appreciate this task then its yet to be seen if that will be possible. I'm here to do what I've been ordered. It will be to the best of my ability." Though he knew she wanted him to want to be here he wasn't going to lie to her about it.

Naturally her female side was coming out and she gave a little nurturing speech. While it sounded nice it only rankled him deep down inside. "I have a very small heart." Chuckling he looked away from her and back to his post. "I don't think it will have room for anymore. The only value that brings me here is duty. When all else fails duty will remain. It is something I cannot reject." This time when he looked toward her it was much shorter. "If he proves himself I won't grudge him what he's due. Until then I'll maintain my position."

Donovan always hated it when an officer asked him for his opinions. While he didn't hold back it was a bit unnerving. It was as if an officer thought their weight and pull in his life would change his mind. That wasn't how it worked if you were a man worth half his weight in metal. Perhaps it upset Illya perhaps not. Ultimately it was her decision and he would respect her position and her person regardless.

Esra T. Montaque

The girl stared ahead cautiously at the sky, she had woken up upon hearing Ilya and Donovan: always having been a light sleeper when it came to being in new environments, she used to try and sleep in the forest when she was younger: having always enjoyed nature and the cool feeling of grass.

Now, the green eyed woman just felt distant, she already missed home: what a shame. . . Her head shakes quietly.

Adran Triveron (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)

Adran awoke that day sore from his first time sleeping on the ground in quite a while. As he began loading his blankets back onto the wagon, he motioned for Illya to come over “Anything happen last night?” he inquired.

“Ah some people walked by. We talked.” He grew concerned at her response “About…?” He inquired. “Our travels to Helies.” The way she casually threw out this information was throwing him off. “Did you say we were going for peace talks?” “Uhhh, Might’ve forgot.” She replied with a sly grin.

Adran almost smacked himself in the face at that. Illya chuckled at his reaction “Don’t worry, I know where they came from and how each of them looked like, we won’t be hearing from them.” She replied with a wink. At this point Adran couldn’t tell if the woman’s coy demeanor was her flirting with him or just trying to bait a reaction out of him. “That’s not the point Illya. People are scared of the Guardians. If they know we’re headed to Helies, but don’t know why, they’ll tell the King’s Guard.” And he knew that if that happened, negotiations would be finished.

“Made sure that wouldn’t happen. Relax. I’m pretty sure most of them even had kids.” That sly grin returning to her face. Adran let out an exasperated sigh “Well there’s not much we can do about it now. But do me a favor Illya, next time innocent villagers stumble upon our camp, do try and let them know we’re going to Helies for peace talks. Our mission is dangerous enough as it is.” With that he went to join the rest of the group for breakfast.

Esra T. Montaque

Esra sat apart from the group of others eating, staying where she had rested and having her sight set ahead of them and to the far horizon, she had some bits of jerky: not really enough to even consider a meal,but it would give her the energy she needs. Her hand rested upon one of the arrows, finger sliding along the furls of the feathers in a somewhat soothing way.

She was wondering what her father and the others would be up to right now. He probably would be trying to help encourage some young guardians to build up heir strength, dexterity, and most importantly: their hope.

As the lone anti-peace person it was going to be fun. Donovan smirked while Adran seemed to be entirely shocked by the way the general had handled it. His usual short raspy laugh sounded. "Oh, well you could be glad it wasn't me doing the talking. You wouldn't have had to worry about flapping tongues." Since it didn't appear that Adran quite understood or he pretended not to Donovan drew a line across his own neck with a gloved hand. They weren't anywhere he was forbidden to speak and it was enjoyable to see the doctor's reactions.

Donovan pushed another bite of dry bread into his mouth. Still chuckling he started walking off to where the horses were. He could at least get them ready to ride. It was far better to see the animals prepared than wait around. There were certain things about being short that didn't turn out well. Unfortunately saddling a large horse was on occasion one of those things. Holding the saddle overhead Donovan tilted it back slightly and then slapped the saddle on the first horse. Typically that's how it went. Grabbing the next saddle he held it over head and he started toward his horse. The creature would from time to time get a bit of a temper as did most war horses. They had to be tough to withstand the soldiers and battles. As he got closer the animal side stepped and bumped Donovan over.

With the saddle overhead it was far more awkward and Donovan stumbled back before he tipped over. Leaving the saddle on the ground he got right back up and went over to the animal. Of course it tried to knock him over again and this time he brought his elbow up and nailed the animal in the ribs. An irritated snort sounded from the horse. "You hold still." Donovan collected the saddle and this time he got it on the horse. While he was buckling it down the animal lifted its lips and bit Donovan right in the haunches. "Ow!" A shake went right up his spine and he shoved the horse's head away from him as it nickered.

By the time he had completed his routine of slapping saddles on the horses he was feeling a little frustrated. "We're ready to head out." Donovan made the announcement before he took a moment to stop by Esra. "You keep a sharp eye out. There's people around here and I doubt they'll be thinking kindly if they see us walking through." Reaching up he put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm depending on you."

As he prepared to mount the horse Donovan almost had to jump just to get one foot in a stirrup and from there it was all pulling himself onto the animal. Behind himself he heard a little bit of laughter.

"I think a pony would better fit your stature." A slight snort sounded with the comment.

Donovan turned toward the man and grinned. "Aye it probably would. I think the bray of an ass would better fit your mouth." Now that they both had their jab at one another there was a decent round of chuckling and it was left at that.

Esra T. Montaque

The sometimes sarcastic female peered up towards the other male before rising to a stand to make some eye contact, and make him shorter. She gave him a reassuring smile and lightly pat his head, "I understand, and I will do my best to not let you down. If I am unsure on whether it is danger, I'll give you one whistle, since there is no garuntee that anyone will be dangerous when we meet them. If it does come down to me giving that signal... make sure everyone is prepared, we do not need to lose anyone: we all need to be able to return home to our loved ones."

Esra twisted forward again after giving the curt explanation: "I should probably get my head start, huh?" She did walk a bit ahead, but paused about sixty feet from the others to show that she was prepared: supplies already having been collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back