We the Unwanted We the Unwanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adran Triveron (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)

Adran pondered over Esra's last line. Loved ones ey? He thought to himself, I haven't had one of those in a long time. His mother was the last person he felt truly loved him, his father hated her, only marrying her because it was arranged, and he always told Adran he got his caring nature from his mother. While his father spat the words at him like an insult, Adran took it as the highest compliment, his mother was an angel to him, and he's always tried to live up to her example. When she died it tore him apart.

He wondered what his mother would think of him now... would she be proud of him for choosing to help those in need, or ashamed that he left behind the city that she had loved so dearly. He couldn't decide, all he knew, was that he was lonely. And once again as the group started off, Adran stayed silent, lost in his thoughts.

[Illya Lott] Adran Triveron (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)
"You look troubled." Illya told Adran. She had noticed him standing there as the others in the group already began to move. She had stayed behind to sweep the area, but Adran probably didn't notice. "If it's because of the people this morning, don't worry about it."

He seemed to have snapped out his trance. Good. Can't have a half conscious person around while traveling in dangerous grounds, she thought. He quickly mounted on his horse and looked over to her.

"It's nothing, just odd going back to my former home is all."

She winced. As an outcast, she could understand his position. "Worried much?"

He flashed a self deprecating smile. "Considering my leaving to join you dubbed me a traitor to the crown, and my father is a noble of the city... yes you could say that."

She smiled. "I wouldn't. You got us around, provide some emotional support." She focused on Donovan's figure, who was just up ahead. "Most of us, anyways."

He laughed at that. "Your version of emotional support happened to play havoc with my nerves earlier." He said light-heartedly. "I'm still trying to get used to having a family again. Just give me some time."

She nodded. Time was enough of a remedy for most issues. However, the little bit of Adran's background was news to her, since all she knew was that he was formerly from Helies.

"We're going to be stuck here for a while. We might as well talk. Maybe you can tell me a bit about your old life? At Helies? If your privacy bothers you, you can talk about how the province was in general. I grew up in an iceland, so I'm interested to know."

"No it's fine. No one's ever asked me before. Plus it'll be good for you to understand what the city is like." It was the first real time in three years he's thought back to his old life. "Let's see, where to begin? Well, My mother and father were united in an arranged marriage that was supposed to help both families, but really only helped my father jump higher on the social ladder. I was born out of obligation, my father needed an heir to his house, my father wouldn't even speak to my mother after I was born."

"As I grew up, father would take me to all the gatherings of the noble's court, telling me to observe and consider why each noble said what they said, what angles they were operating on, and who was in an alliance with whom, he also taught me in the way of the sword though I never really excelled at it due to being farsighted. He was very strict, instructing me to show no mercy to my enemies, but feign respect amongst 'temporary' allies, for one needed to be trusted before he could successfully stab his friends in the back, his words not mine." He took on a look of disgust as he said these words. "I hated it all, it was the rich trying to get richer, with no thought given to the struggling families of the lower levels. I did get to witness an assassination in the courtroom one time. That was, cathartic."

"My mother though... she was the complete opposite, she loved the world around her and worked her hardest to preserve it. I thought she was a saint from the heavens. She was the one who first taught me how to heal the wounded when we found an injured sparrow and nursed it back to health. When my father didn't require my attendance she would take me through the lower quarters, wanting me to understand the plight of those who were less fortunate than I. She'd give beggars in the streets coin, and even sneak loafs of bread from our kitchens for them to eat." He smiled as he remembered her.

But then his face grew anguished. "Then... the sickness came. My mother began throwing up uncontrollably and her skin grew clammy. The royal doctors identified it as Cholera, and informed my father and I that there was nothing they could do. I was fifteen when she died." A few tears started to slide down his cheeks before he regained his composure. "After she left this world, I chose to continue her dream of helping those less fortunate. I traversed the lower quarters for five years seeking out all kinds of local healers and learning their ways, I even learned from a few upper level doctors, say what you want about the nobility, they had superb medical treatment. They taught me everything I know about being a medic."

"My father would berate me for hours, saying I was wasting my time, slinging the family name through the mud, but I didn't care. I had found fulfillment for the first time in my life. then one night, he'd had enough, my father beat me until near unconsciousness and told me that I would be locked away in my room until I started acting in a way that was 'acceptable'. I only stayed a week to let my injuries heal. Then I broke the window of my bedroom and used my bed sheets to climb down, luckily it wasn't very high up. From there I hid amongst the common folk for two years, seeking refuge in the homes of the healers I once apprenticed under, never staying in one place for more than two months for fear of being discovered."

"I eventually decided to leave the city and find the Guardians, my mother had told me the old stories of their heroics centuries ago and I thought that your cause was worth fighting for. I managed to sneak onto a caravan to Geraldis and.. well, you know the story after I found the Fortress."

Illya listened quietly as Adran poured out his story. Ups and downs, that's what life was all about. She saw his eyes light up on the mention of his mother, and die whence talking about her passing. It must've been hard to bear. The deaths of her parents were peaceful, but it too had devastated her.

"It was beautiful." She said. "Your story, I mean." She let out a long sigh. "It makes me question if everything is really worth it. Moving to Luina, fighting a war. Sometimes, I look back and I felt... happy."

She blushed. "I don't know how to explain it, I know it sounds childish."

"I was born into the snow covered hell we know as home. It probably took you some time to get used to, but I accepted it growing up. My parents passed naturally, but much earlier than they should have," she added with a tone of bitterness. "I was much like you, but I vented through hate. I joined the stealth division because I knew I would be the one. The one to stick a blade into the king's back when the time comed."

"The next part was easy. I trained endlessly, and rose through the ranks like a wildfire. Claius and I, we were inseperatable. The Knight and the Black Hat Murderer. We were usually promoted at the same time, and trained with each other." She brushed her dirk sheathes gently with one hand. "And now that I'm getting so close, I don't know anymore. I even now sometimes imagine killing him. Rufus Andelorn. But now, I have you guys to take care of, and I don't want to be selfish."

She smiled, and tears brimmed her eyes. "You guys are my happiness. You know? When I screamed at you I felt so, so bad. But believe me, I will do anything to keep you guys safe. That's what family is about."

She blinked back her tears and turned her attention to the riders that were ahead of them.

"Come on. Let's catch up."

Adran had held his breath once his story had finished, scared of what Illya might say, he breathed an internal sigh of relief when she responded positively. Her personal side wasn't one he got to see very often, and he'd bet money that he was the first person who's ever seen Illya Lott, blush. It was actually quite adorable, but hearing her story in return, knowing that she trusted him with such important details, it touched his heart in a way that he hadn't felt before, he understands Illya a lot better now and wishes to know more.

Alas as she rode forward to catch up with the group, he knew they'd have to continue this talk another day. As he caught up he whispered in Illya's ear "Don't push yourself to hard, you're doing a fantastic job already. If you ever feel like the strain is too much, don't be afraid to let me know, I'd be more than happy to help take care of you for once."

Esra T. Montaque
( Whitewood Forest, Geraldis )

Esra sighed softly, she peeked back to see the group behind her a fair way, it was definitely lonesome being ahead of the group, no one to talk to! Then again, if she gets busy talking then she is not doing her job and probably will lag behind where she is supposed to be...

Her head shakes violently to get her thoughts focused as she strolls further along and into the shadows of an overhanging tree's branch. 'How long will it take, I wonder...? Will... We even get there? Hopefully...'

Illya felt much more uplifted than usual. Perhaps it was when she poured her heart out about her personal conflictions earlier in the day, but she was nonetheless in a good mood.

"Let's stop for the day." Illya instructed. "Esra will be returning soon, and we will be eating the rabbits she hunted down yesterday with some bread and vegetables." Anything to make cabbage taste better.

She settled up camp and quickly made their meals. Any game that Esra would bring would be saved for the next day, and as the possibility of completing the travel grew, the more they would require to regulate their food supply. Perhaps they might take a day off soon to rest and hunt, for a change. Besides, they will only be traveling in the forest for a couple more days. She decided it was a good break for the tired group, but only for a single day. She, and probably the others, had already begun to miss the people back at home.

So far she was pretty proud of the group, but the real challenge had yet to come. The first test of the possibility for peace would come with if they could exit the forest and cross the border without confrontation. The next would be working out a plan with the new King. Now since they were so far into the expedition, it seemed much less bizarre to Illya in comparison to the day they left.

Esra returned like the night before, and Illya handed her her meal and engaged in a friendly conversation. Later, she appointed two of Gregorson's friends to take watch for the night. This was eventually going to be standard protocol.

She made everyone go to sleep early that night, so they can push some extra distance in to relax a bit the following day. Soon, she found herself too drowsy to continue on herself, and rolled up tightly in her blankets and drifted to sleep.

Donovan Blackmoore (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)

Donovan was just starting to feel human on the 3rd day. It seemed that they had a long ways to go. At least that was the ambitions of Illya. During the travel Donovan rode his horse back several times to check on the wagon. There were signs of it needing repairs soon. Hopefully they could make it to more stable ground before they would have to do something for it. In fact he was a little worried that it might not make it that far and he wasn't much good at fixing carts or wagons. There were other things that he was far better equipped to repair. If all they needed was brute strength he could do that.

With the fast pace there was far less time to chatter and they barely made any break except to water the horses and then give them time to feed. They had made good distance though and were almost out of the mountainous areas. Donovan had gradually started to remove layers of clothing as they got closer to their destination. Any excess clothing he balled up and tied to the back of the saddle. If it wasn't for the fact that it was still slightly cool he would have taken his gloves off as well.

By the time they were settled for the night he was planning on moving and getting the travel done. Instead it seemed that they were to take a break. Donovan didn't dare protest aloud, but he did frown slightly. "A holiday?" He'd never taken a single holiday since he could remember. There wasn't time for that kind of pursuit. It wasn't just for fun. Sounded like they needed to hunt. That brought a smile to his face. Getting meat here would be far easier than it was in the mountains. "Aye a bit of meat..." It was cut short there as someone suggested that they all get washed before going into town. "Bath?!" This was quickly becoming more than he signed up to do. Getting bathed but 2 times a year was good enough and now in weather that was still too cold. Most of the men in the fortress didn't bathe except in the dead of summer for fear of catching their death. With a pitiful curl to his lips and sad frown he continued to pick at the food set in front of him for the meal. "I'll get a bath and then hunt." Maybe hunting would get him warmed back up. Seemed that wasn't what folk did. "It won't make any difference whether I bathe now or when we get there. I'll still have dirt all over myself from the road."

Adran smirked as Donovan expressed his displeasure at the thought of taking a bath, with all of the tension that was mounting between the two, seeing the short man grimace brought him a little satisfaction. "I'll see if I can catch us any fish from the river nearby." He had a weakness for fish, they were the hardest food to acquire, especially in winter, but Adran had always wanted to try fishing, and he figured now was as good a time as any.

"Do try not to get mauled by bears tomorrow, we have limited medical supplies for me to patch you up with, and I'd like to save as many as possible for when we reach the city... just in case." He figured they knew what he meant by that.

Esra T. Montaque

This particular woman was a big clean freak as it was, the only reason she had yet to take the chance to wash up was because of the journey they started: so sharing that they could do so soon was a huge relief on her part.

"Donovan, and please do not take this as badly as it sounds, but you really need to bathe. If you dot then we will probably stick out even further when we arrive at the city: and not just because of your.. Erm... Boyish stench... And getting two baths before the big town will not hurt you." Esra did try to sound semi-nice in wording this, but it still came out a bit prissy even for her.

She decided that she would get one later herself: in the morning most likely. But for now, she leans back against the cool grass with a hum.

"That, or I can gather some herbs and make a poultice that you can rub on yourself. Wonder if there is any Jasmine and mint around here..."

"Two baths!" Donovan nearly staggered. "That's more than my quota for an entire season." Whoever was starting to come up with the bath idea was making Esra go crazy happy. Now she wanted to smother him in smelly plants too. Eyebrows raising high he glared at her. "I will not rub those things all over my body." Grumbling and growling he decided to turn in early. Donovan grabbed a blanket and started out to sleep near the horses. He had a feeling that he would rather be there than risk someone taking him to the water tomorrow.

At first light Donovan got up to start preparing some food. He figured that if he had food going and they were ready for a hunt that everyone would forget about the bath. It was at least going to be his attempt. Breakfast was simple bread and some warmed oats. At least it was filling. Donovan shoveled the food in fast as he could and immediately started to gear up to go out hunting when he was given the assignment to go with Adran to the river.

Eyes narrowing he looked to the man. "What are you doing at the river?" He didn't want to be assigned only to find out it was going to be a bath. Turned out there was fishing. "Hmm...." They were supposed to travel in teams and Donovan knew how to fish. Somehow he got the idea that Illya was going to try and get them to at least come to a more friendly mutual understanding. "Lets go then." Pointing with his hand he let Adran take the lead.

Last edited:
Esra T. Montaque
( Whitewood Forest, River, Geraldis )

The female had woken up before first light to make sure she did not have to bathe anywhere near those slightly smelly companions of hers, having gotten bathed fairly quickly and dressed into fresh clothing she had brought along: no need to put on dirt encrusted traveling clothes! Ew!

She also used some herbs, these ones though being just for her hands to get them back to being a more feminine feeling: and to still be able to shoot a bow properly.

On her way back to camp though, she overheard Adran and Donovan and decided to watch their... 'Efforts.'

Adran led Donovan out to the river he designated as the prime fishing spot. "Ok, so from what I remember reading about fishing, we're supposed to have these rods with line that can be reeled in, and they have these little hooks on the end that snare up the fish... obviously we don't have those appliances with us so I thought of the next best thing." He unsheathed his rapier. "If the fish swim up to the shallow water I can run them through with my blade. It's efficient and helps me practice hitting specific targets. Who says you can't get a little training done while on vacation?" He had a goofy smile on his face as he relayed his plan to Donovan, he thought it was to brilliant to fail.

As they reached the river, Adran took off his socks and boots, and rolled up his trousers so they wouldn't get wet, then set foot into the water. As soon as his foot made contact he yanked his foot back up "YIKES!! That's really cold... this could prove problematic, I don't want my feet to freeze, I suppose I could try stabbing from here. Donovan, your thoughts?"

Donovan managed to keep his face mostly flat in expression when Adran mentioned the needed utensils for fishing. "Hmmm..." Nodding he listened as the idea got stranger and stranger. Somehow Adran thought that it was going to work to use a rapier. It might if he was fast enough. Wasn't so different from a fishing spear. As for training? A smirk had almost started and Donovan quickly subdued that. "Hmmmm." Again he just grunted at the thought.

Once they were at the water's edge Adran peeled his socks and boots off. Donovan sat on the grass to do the same and this time he actually smiled. It was the sort that indicated a temptation to do something that wouldn't be considered polite. Finally he busted out laughing when Adran chickened out from even getting his feet wet. "No it doesn't work well like that." Standing up he pushed the doctor toward the water. Finally he just stepped right in behind him and walked both of them into the water. "You'll learn to be a harder man if you can withstand a little discomfort."

Rolling his sleeves up he nodded to Adran. "You can occasionally catch a fish like this. Get a little closer so you can see." Dipping his hands in the water he waited for what seemed to be forever for a fish to come by. "Move your head a little unless you think to catch the fish with your teeth." Giving a flick he sent a fish out of the water. "Now show me how you'll spear a fish eh?" Donovan was curious how the pampered rich boy would do. The first attempt he just put a hand on his chin and nodded. "Try again." With each attempt further he would tell Adran to try again and the grin only grew larger by the minute. Finally the raspy chuckle grew until he was almost gasping for air. Sloshing out of the water he went to sit on the shore next to his fish. "Try again."

Last edited:
[Illya Lott] Esra T. Montaque (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)
Illya watched as everything unveiled. It didn't come as a shock that Donovan had a distaste for bathing-- the atmosphere in the snowy mountains where the Impregnable Fortress rested on was a nightmare to be walking around without at least two layers of clothing.

She beared with it.

After Esra engaged with her deragotory tease of Donovan, which Illya watched in amusement, she approached Esra, who was too busy watching the two men fish to notice her coming up from behind. Knowing Esra, she was probably waiting for them to fail, and laugh at their shortcomings.

She smiled to herself as she pictured Esra's reaction when she were to appear behind her. Getting right next to her ear, Illya whispered, "want to hunt?"

Esra T. Montaque
( Le River in Whitewood Forest, Geraldis )

"Sure." She didn't turn towards the voice right away, and it was as if it took a bit for her to register what just happened as her eyes widen and she lets out a bit of a screech in bewilderment and practically leapt from her skin.

"ILLYA!!!" Esra rounded quickly to look at the other female with a beat red face that had flushed mostly as she appeared to almost have lost her wits.

"Why?! And when did you get there?"

[Illya Lott] Esra T. Montaque (Whitewood Forest, Geraldis)
Illya raised an eyebrow. "Not spying on the men, are we? You would need to be stealthier than that if you plan to. The Gregorson bunch went boat hunting, so I figured we can hunt some game ourselves. Maybe explore a little around."

The forest was quite beautiful, and Illya saw smoke out in the distance, meaning a furnace or stove. Though it was potentially dangerous, she still wanted to check it out. Besides, most people were less weary about Guardians this far out.

"We both are probably good trackers, and we are lighter on our feet than the other men. Besides," she glanced at Adran and Donovan, "that pair makes a promising fisher team."

The sharp, womanly shriek had Donovan cringing. Instinctively he curled his back and covered the ear nearest her. Why women thought that it was good to do that he didn't know. Typically if that kind of sound came out of a man it was good reason to panic.

He'd been growing more and more frustrated with every missed stab. Without his spectacles the fish just looked like blurry shadows floating through the water. The short barbarians mocking laughter at his expense certainly wasn't helping either. He thrust with more power and more recklessness every subsequent stab until finally one of the loudest screeches Adran had ever heard resounded in his brain mid thrust, and threw him off balance. He tried to balance on one leg with all his might but felt himself falling forward, he tucked his head into a roll and hit the water back first, getting completely drenched.

"AH!!! COLD COLD COLD!!!" Adran shrieked as he scrambled to pull himself out of the water. His entire body soaked head to toe, he crawled onto the shore and just lay there, panting and shivering. "I think that's enough fishing Donovan... probably forever" He said through chattering teeth. He braced himself for a roar of laughter.

Esra T. Montaque

Esra seemed to stare off into the distance at the smoke with a mischievious smirk, "Can we at least explore a little in the process... Like go over there?" She points in the direction that the people must be in, well, the female assumed there would be people there. They might also have some good food that would be easy to con some foolish and weary travelers out of, if she played her cards right.

"Boat hunt huh? I do hope at least someone is successful: at this rate I would rather starve than go near any more of that revolting cabbage! Hmph!" Her eyes narrow forward, "I would probably even begin eating grass and tree bark... The grass does not probably taste good... And tree bark may be able to be boiled into some type of soup: potentially?" Was she actually considering this. . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back