A Strange Town

“Oh, I see. It must be nice to have friends like that to teach you something so important. I...I don’t have the compassion to do that, I try to empathise with people but I just...can’t.”
Sighing, she placed down her book and frowned. It was true, she couldn’t feel even sympathy for others. Yes, she knew what it was, but she had trouble doing so herself. She looked back at Amber and smiled, although it was a empty smile.
“Did you want to drink your tea, it’s starting to go cold after all. Or did you want to sleep? I don’t have a spare bed unfortunately, so you’ll have to sleep here with the fire place and books. Oh, talking about books, why don’t you read one?”
@Alissa Ming
((Sorry guys, I’m too busy to type the others scenarios, please don’t abandon the roleplay!))​

"Oh, right." Amber drank the tea. "It's good." She'd forgotten about it, if she was honest. This woman was interesting. The smile was empty, but some might not see it as such. Her eyes narrowed as she speculated. "I'm fine with sleeping out here for the time being. It's nice to just have some place to crash for the night." Actually, she was considering slipping out again, and exploring the city. She wanted to find a hideout if she could, and figure out what was going on in the crazy town. Maybe she'd even find her crew if she went looking. She felt exposed without them. "I just might read one at that. Thank you." Her smile was genuine, though only from long practice, and someone who was perceptive might notice that she was considering other things.

Raising an eyebrow at Amber’s distant-y thoughts, Jennifer took out a old book and handed it to Amber.
“One of the older ones. It’s a fairy tale collection of both cute and scary tales, I don’t like it very much though. Don’t know why, it just does.”
The book was worth quite a lot, but Jennifer grimaced at the book, no doubt she disliked it. Standing up, she began to walk up the stairs, before turning around.
“Just ‘crashing’ the night? Please don’t cause any actual crashing noises, I’ll be sleeping upstairs, good night.”
Going upstairs, Jennifer didn’t head to her bedroom, but stayed near the stairs, seeing what Amber will do next. She seemed normal, but like her, Amber gave off something that made her think she was not telling the truth.
@Alissa Ming
————————
The cultist was hyperventilating, and screamed when the dagger drove into her shoulder, he did seem like a madman of sorts, the hysterical, emotional kind.
“I did, I did kill him! The radio operator! I’m going to die anyways, because I killed someone...Go ahead, kill m-”
He was cut off by a muted but recognisable sound, a gun with a silencer fired a bullet into the man’s head. The bullet shot the man directly into the brain, so he died before giving out answers. Some sounds of feet scurrying could be heard. The scare tactics was dependant on ‘#7’ willing to betray secrets and the team wanting to keep the man alive, which was now shown to be false, the cultists had killed one of their own.
@ShadowCoyote0

Zander’s nervousness was going to be much worse now, he could now hear a man demanding answers and a faint stabbing noise from the dagger. The men that were closer to the radio shifted a little, as could be heard. The men whispered quietly among themselves, although they were now afraid.
“He’s going to give away our entire plan!”
“No he isn’t, that man is one of our most moral, I’m sure he’s going to...”
BANG!
Despite the muted noise, the sound was obviously a gunshot.
“There, one less nuisance. He was too soft for this job. We’ve got what we needed. Let’s get out of here, if we can find a way.”
What Zander will be able to know now, was that the cult was perfectly willing to kill their own, if they had outlived their use.
@Maluon
————————
Along Theo’s wandering out, he passed by the frozen policeman, which was a sign he was getting close since the radio station was close to the ruins. Once he had reached the ruins, he would see that the Ruins were too quiet as always. It looked normal enough, maybe it was a idiot with a lantern?
...No. There was nobody there, but there was still a bright light coming from under the ground of the ruins, which former stone floors had been long broken and had holes all over it. So the light was under the ground..
@Draco Shadowdragon @Green Door

Amber took the book. "I didn't mean literally crash. I meant a place to stay. Sorry. I forget to use more common lingo sometimes. Thanks again. Goodnight." She sat on the couch as Jennifer left. She kept an eye on Jennifer as she left, curious. She would wait an hour, give Jennifer time to go to sleep. But she couldn't see her from here. So she'd have to be careful. She began reading the book, curious what kind of book it was, and if it could tell her about this town.

“No offence, but the curfew was announced a while ago, and us shop workers got a letter a few days before..Sorry, I’ve heard some things about you, espically in the black market and crime stuff. So I wanted to ask.”
After her initial nervousness and annoyance, she just made a quick apology and continued on with her sentence, despite what Torian though, she wasn’t the shopkeeper.
“You see..I don’t own this store, this boy does. I was lookin to cover it over in the middle of the night because it’s freakin gross to look at, but the manager’s a bit young, and he thinks it looks ‘edgy’ so uh...Ahh...fine, I’ll help you wash this crap off.”
@Kanassa
————————————
Jennifer hid even more, trying her dandy-hardest to listen in on what Amber was doing as well, she was tired, but she wasn’t that tired.
The book was very old, since it had a dusty smell and the latest owner aside from Jennifer is apparently one hundred years old according to the name tag. The book was mostly plain fairytales, if not kind of creepy with the death and demonic possession. There was one, however, that was gruesome enough to have a discretionary page before it.
“True Tales of The Secret Town and the Forest’s Cobweb.”
It might be true as in eye-catching and true in the fictional universe, but it was worth a look. Espically since Jennifer had got it from a more hidden and secure spot...
@Alissa Ming

Amber muttered "'True Tales of the Secret Town and the Forest's Cobweb'? The rest are all fairly standard." Amber browsed the eye-catching title and the story for several minutes.

"Amber? Can you hear me?" Amber sat up quickly, her hand going up to the ear in which her earbud was placed.
"Gale? Yeah, I hear you. Where are you?"
"Heck if I know, Amber. One minute we were pulling an amazing heist, next thing I know, you're gone and I'm here."
"OK. Got it. Ping me your general location and I'll come find you. Are Marina and Gai with you?"
"No. They might be wherever you and I are, but if they are, they aren't with me."
"Got it. Gale, I'm on my way. Be careful, there's some kind of curfew on the streets. Don't get caught by the law. Got it?"
"I know what I'm doing, Amber. I'll find a place to hole up and wait for you."
To anyone watching, it would look and sound like she was talking to herself. But she had forgotten her plan to wait until she was as sure as she could be that Jennifer had gone to bed. Gale was one of her best friends. She had to get to him.

"A while ago?" Torian shook his head "It's barely been any time at all" A thought came to mind and his brow furrowed, he didn't like this oddity. "How long exactly would you say it's been?" Before pulling out a small plant and some cigar material to wrap it in. He wasn't exactly sure what the plant was, but he knew it was perfectly capable of getting people high, according to the last person who accidentally smoked it. "Well, maybe you should learn not to put so much stock into gossip. Or should I be listening to the word spreading about you?"​

Well, it might not have been about her specifically, but he'd heard things. About people. People who COULD be her. Or about someone else. But sometimes you just want to scare a girl. Though, when she submitted to the voice within her soul, crying out for cleanliness, he instantly got to pulling a myriad of spare cleaning supplies out of what looked to be a pocket too small to carry anything. "The first step is always the hardest, it's only uphill on this great rollercoaster" WHile he did sound crazy, he did have a clear, joking edge to his voice as he passed her items.

Jennifer was about to gasp, but kept quiet as she overheard the conversation, although it was a bit too quiet to hear the full details. So Amber’s friend is here...He should follow what Amber told him, Newcomers are in for quite a scare when the police stops them! She continues listening but moved a bit when she fell due to her leg wrapping around the stair rail’s leg.

Gale is not going to have any luck, as close to his location, is not a policeman, but a council member, if he gets caught, he was some explaining to do on why he’s out in the streets.
@Alissa Ming

The thumping sound made Amber jump. She looked around. Crap...I should have been more careful. She was certain now that she was being watched. Probably by Jennifer who hadn't left too long ago. Which left her with a bit of a problem. She couldn't leave until Gale had pinged her his location. And she only had fifteen minutes of invisibility. She wouldn't know how long it would take to find him until she got started. So she'd have to be careful. She considered her options while she waited for Gale to ping her. He wouldn't vocally contact her again for fear of being spotted. She knew he wouldn't give her away, but if he got caught getting him out would be next to impossible without help. And the rest of her crew either wasn't here or were elsewhere in this strange place.

Gale looked around for a place to hide. It would have been better if they'd had a hideout already, but he did know how to bunker down. Once he found a decent enough place to act like he wasn't there, he looked around again for someone watching for odd lights. He would have to pull out his laptop, though he didn't know how long the battery would last without any clear indication of power around the town. But it was the only way to ping Amber his location. He wasn't nearly as skilled as Amber at avoiding detection, but he'd had to do so on occasion.

Leon was taken by surprise at the betrayal of their own kind. He released the corpse from the ice has he took off in the direction of the shooter. He formed a thick plate of ice on his chest as protection against a gun. He found one cultist trying to break a window, but it was futile. Leon covered the floor with ice, then summoning an ice spike from the ground, piercing the man's knee. "You're only hurting yourselves! The longer you make me look, the longer I'll torture you."

Zander realized he had recorded more than was ever bargained for. He had gotten himself in deep, and so there was no turning back. Something had to be done.
I cant just sit here.
He just had no clue what to do, or how to do it.
He could not imagine how long such a conspiracy could have already been going on.

Jennifer, trying to make up for the fact she fell down, pretended to get up again and yelled downstairs.
“Sorry for the loud thump! The floor is quite slippery, and I just finished taking a bath so my feet’s all wet and all!”
That was a good lie right? That she was going to the bedroom and then slipped? Hopefully Amber doesn’t suspect. She still listened in, and was no more careful where her feet was around.

Although Gale was hidden well, as the man walked by, if he paid attention to the footsteps that sounded like clops, he would have noticed a man covered by a black mask, wearing a similar coloured cloak. He was barely seeable in the night, but he had a chain necklace, securing a pretty round tricket, it seemed pretty and expensive, no doubt this guy must be pretty high, if not the council member.
@Alissa Ming
—————————
“AHHH!! No...I won’t say it. I...GAH! I..Won’t let the church down. Look if you want to torture the information out of me...You’ll be disappointed.”
The man was clearly in pain from the ice in his knee, but stayed loyal. He silently and swiftly took out his gun and pointed it at Leon, although his hand was shaking from pain. It was a matter of who who be the one to draw blood first, Leon, or the cultist with the gun.
“...I’ve had enough of this, you’re cornered, ice person.”
Out of the darkness, another cultist emerged, also with a gun, although this time, it was clear from the model that she was the fighter and the killer.
@ShadowCoyote0

Incidents followed one after another, a man stabbed with something, a white knight resorting to torture, the click of a gun, and another click and a female demanding the invader to surrender.
He was right, he couldn’t just sit there. If he looked out the window, he could see that it was getting fairly dark, by Bellville’s standards anyways. There weren’t many awake, and the policemen must have also retired for the night.
Maybe if he could head to the radio station, he could sort this mess out?
@Maluon
————————
The woman made a face as if to say what Torian has been smoking, because by Bellville’s standards of heading to sleep at evening, and that the evening has turned to night, it was late for her.
“Can’t tell. But it must be..6-8-ish? We really should be at bed by 6pm, but I’ve got night shift. Oh, that plant looks like a hybrid or some other unknown plant. As long as it’s not nutmeg...”
The woman didn’t reply to Torian’s comment, only handing him so money before taking the cigar and putting it her mouth. Taking the cleaning supplies, she sighed as she looked at the wall.
“I suppose it is..Goodness, Mister Dinkins, what in the sweet hell is wrong with your taste?”
She began to use what she thinks is a sponge, and looked at Torian, about to ask if there was any water.
@Kanassa

"Hogwash, I remember the time being later than that because I made a joke about werewolves right after the announcement" When the money was shoved into his hands, he looked surprised, though he made no move to push away the reward he wasn't expecting. Money was money. "What weirdo smokes nutmeg?" Within seconds there was a bucket filled with water at their feet, Torian humming to himself as he soaped up the sponge and got to work. "Mister Dinkins needs to re-evaluate his life and wonder what great crimes he is committing in how he abuses walls and our eyes"

Leon's heart rate increased drastically. He found himself in a rough position with little help. "Damnit, I have no choice." He summoned an ice spike that pierced the man's hand holding the gun. He then quickly got down and formed a dome of ice around him, he as was forming the dome, a bullet grazed his arm. He hasn't used his powers so heavily in a long time; it began to take a toll on his body. He released the icy mist from the building. He then started to blindly fill the room with ice spikes, hoping to slow down the culprits.

Amber looked toward's Jennifer's voice. She was a highly experienced liar, and she wasn't entirely sure Jennifer was telling the truth. She had no proof she wasn't. But now she was even more cautious with what she was saying. And what she was doing. Gale was still out there, and she had to go get him. But she couldn't leave until Gale gave her his location and the all clear. Otherwise she might be caught, and she couldn't afford that. "Well, I hope you aren't hurt." She said, carefully keeping any suspicion out of her voice. "You should probably dry off so you don't slip again. Stairways and stuff can be really dangerous places." There was no malice or threat in her voice. It was a simple statement of fact.

Gale peered out of his hiding place. There was a person nearby and whoever it was wasn't being the least bit quiet. If it hadn't been for the clopping, Gale might have thought it was safe to open his laptop. Now he knew it wasn't. Not yet. As he looked, he saw someone, most likely a man judging by the build, with a black mask and black cloak. He clearly didn't want to be seen, or at least that's what Gale suspected. In fact, Gale might not have seen him at all, if not for his life with Amber and the chain that connected to a rather expensive looking trinket of some kind. He studied it carefully, memorizing as many details as possible for later. Amber would be highly interested in something like this.

Theo was about to pass by the radio station when he saw the frozen police officer. There wasn't anything he could do for the guy but let him sit there and defrost. He decided to continue on. When he saw the radio station he noticed the windows frozen over and heard the sound of chaos coming from inside the building. He tried to open the door, but the door knob broke off along with a good chunk of the door. He took a peak through the hole in the door.

Jennifer had tried her best to lie, yes, and it came easy to her, but she was still worried that her cover was suspicious, so she replied to Amber. Her lie wasn't as good as last time but it'll work
"I should! I've heard of man who broke his neck in the bathroom and his friend died because of stairs. Just keep that in mind while you take a shower, alright? Anyways, Goodnight!"
Making sure her footsteps were light, Jennifer did indeed open the door to the bathroom and then close it after she got it, but she then reopened the door quietly so she could still listen in.

It seemed another person was caught, because Gale might be able to hear a panicked voice of a child, followed by two shadows walking back in his direction. He would be able to see that the cloaked man was holding the hand of the girl tightly, making sure she doesn't escape since the girl was struggling, and they walked back to the wall-like mountain nearby, moving out of sight. So this was what happened when a council member found a curfew breaker...Gale was now free to go outside if he wished, and he should too, he was on the very corner of the town, while Amber was in the middle.
@Alissa Ming
------------------------------------------
As screams rang out throughout the building, it was obvious he snagged quite a few cultists, maybe 3 or 4. Not as many as expected however, it was likely the mastermind has already escaped. The cultist, from the pain of having a spike going through their hand, screamed in pain before passing out. A thick book fell out of the pocket, the other cultist didn't react to it though, so it wasn't probably the most important thing to them. Might be useful to keep however.
@ShadowCoyote0

As Theo looked through the door, he could see madness, despite the darkness inside. A man surrounded by a a ice dome, ice spikes going everywhere and a dead bod-no, two. One with a bullet and the other having a ice spike in her stomach. The radio station was surrounded by ice, and while there were lots of backdoors, most of them were blocked off.
Still, there was still a couple.
If anyone looked at a door, they might see two lucky cultists, escaping. They dress a bit more lighter and stealthily, so they're probably the cultists that are spys or are used to transport, say, valuable items back to base.
@Draco Shadowdragon
------------------------------------------
The woman began working on the wall immediately, likely anxious to finish washing the paint off as soon as possible. She still had the cigar in her mouth, but spoke while cleaning.
"I'm not out often..Maybe it's a bit later at night? Well, everyone likes to sleep at evenings anyways now that it's pretty much compulsory. What some people would do to get a high...Last time I tried strong nutmeg, I woke up with the worst headache and a hangover, never again..."
When Torian mentioned Mr Dinkins, the woman gave him a somewhat mean look and grumbled to herself
"He's just a boy. Everyone has weird tastes, and it's freedom of art. Jeez..."
The paint was coming off fairly quickly luckily.
@Kanassa

Amber heard the footsteps, and the door close. She tried to remember if she'd heard the bath water running in the time she'd been speaking with Gale. She didn't think so. So, until she got the ping from Gale, she settled back to her book, feigning an interest she felt only barely as she read through the strangely titled story.

Gale could hear the child and ground his teeth that he could do nothing about it. But he was alone. With Amber and the other two there, they could have gotten the child to safety. Gai could have caused a diversion with his massive strength, or Marina could have used one of her inventions to distract the stranger while Amber, invisible, spirited the child away. But he waited and as soon as he was as sure as he could be that he was safe, he opened his laptop, wincing at the sudden light in his eyes. A glaring difference against the darkness. It was facing him, so it would be harder to see, but not impossible if someone was watching. Light could be seen against the darkness, even when it was facing a certain way. He quickly pinged Amber his location, and closed it, hoping he hadn't just given away his position. But while he had done that, he set up a program to continue to ping her his location, in case he needed to move, or in case he was found.

Leon's strength was fading. He released his ice dome and looked around. A few cultists were caught in his spikes...one of them was dead. He felt like he was going to vomit; no one was supposed to die. His reckless final act costed someone their life, even if they had blood on their hands. He had ended up in Belleville to escape violence, but now he brought it with him. He removed the spine from her gut and layed her down respectfully. He went to each cultist and removed their spikes while freezing their hands together like hand cuffs. Eventually he noticed the book on the ground. He picked it up, assuming it would have more information on the group he encountered.

"Maybe you should try staying up late more often, the night usually looks good, especially when the moon comes out" He joined her in the work, scrubbing away with ease as the paint came off, inch-by-inch. This was certainly an odd turn of events, he hadn't expected to be conversing with some random stranger over cleaning supplies tonight. Maybe this was a sign he should be more outgoing in life... Or a sign to lock himself up. It was almost pleasant. "I don't care if he's an embryo, this travesty cannot stand" He put on a more jokey voice as he spoke.

Back