Changes

She was grumbling curses beneath her breath as she re-holstered her gun then headed for the door. Trouble, that was what all this was. She heard the rumble of what could only be Maelith's dragon friend. If they didn't think she had anything to do with the death before, they would now. Being seen with a dragon may not actually be so helpful. Once out the door, she walked around the corner and that was when she came face to face to the actual cause of the sound.

"Okay...this day has gone to hell in a hand basket..." She shakes her head a bit and ignores the look she got. Ignoring her stinging side and her throbbing shoulder. The bad part about being hunted by those she trained with, they all knew how to get through each others armor and she wasn't sure what irritated her more. The fact that they knew what bullets to use or the fact that her favorite jacket had a hole in it now. She reaches up under the jacket and touches the wound, bullet was still in there. She had to get it out but that will have to wait until they got out of the middle of the street and out of sight.

Maelith moved around the large head of the dragon and over to Serina, "You have a death wish?" She asked as she noticed the way she was holding her shoulder, "Cause I don't you should have gone out the window with us," Came the muttering growl from the female as she glanced at the dragon that was now in his human form. Clearly he had to call clothing to him as the clothing he was wearing wasn't anything like what he had been. It looked out of date but well made. The leather jacket hung about midthigh on his tall form over leather pants. His toned chest was bare except for the tattoo at the center of his chest. The black tribel design was of a flame that circled in on itself encircled by a knotwork band.

"We should get out of here," he muttered as he walked bare foot over to them, "It will be only a matter of time before a dragon hunter catches wind of my fire," He put a hand on both of them, "My way or the human way, either way we gotta move now."

"Teleport or walk," Maelith explained, "We would end up well out of the city if we went with his way."

Serina arches a brow and looks at Maelith then she shakes her head. "If I had a death wish then I would be dead already." She shakes her head. "Sorry...told you I was used to being on my own." She grumbles then shakes her head. She looks to the male and was finding herself amazed at the fact he was once more not a dragon but now a human again. She was going to get a headache trying to keep up with all of this.

"Teleport?" She blinks a bit. "Well that is something new." Then she nods. "The faster the better. "

Damien nodded then gave a wicked grin as the warm would spread from his hands to engulf the two women before their world would go dark. A moment later the sound of water trickling over rocks would be the first thing they noticed. The warmth of his hands left them as he moved to fight a few candles before moving over to a hearth, "Make yourself at home," he called out to the two.

They were in what could only be a large cave system in the belly of a mountain range. The dragon kept to themselves in such places for their own safety mostly. After all there were so few of them that humans that banded together could easily destroy the race completely. The cave was set up as one might a studio. Screens divided the large space into areas. They were in the main area.

She tenses up as everything went dark, then her eyes widen in amazement as she found herself no longer in the street but in a cave. It was a beautiful place in her eyes and she was in awe of it. "Amazing." She murmurs. Then blinking a little she looks to Maelith. "That was cool." She smiles then looks around again. She knew Damien said for them to make themselves at home but she didn't think it proper for her to just bleed all over his floor. She glances to her shoulder and then her side. Whatever had been on the blade must have been in the stab wound and now she had a bullet to dig out. What fun.

She looks to Maelith. "I don't want to make you feel sick again...but I need to dig the bullet out so you may not want to watch." She smiles a bit.

Maelith smiled at the comment of the other on a place she had seen a few times, "I'll get you a med kit. Damien might be able to help as it is fairly dark in here," The male stood from the fire that was starting to blaze in the hearth. His golden gaze landed on the pair.

"Come the quicker we get the blood to stop the easier it will be for me not to think of you as wounded prey," He was being honest. His human skills were rusty as it was but the idea that some one could be food wasn't hard for him to believe. Pulling a wooden box from a shelf near the hearth he sat down on one of the large carved wooden chairs that sat near the fire. There were four despite him living there by himself.

Maelith moved towards one of the screens, "I'll be in the hotspring should you need me," She told him softly as she vanished behind the makeshift wall. She lit a few candles before making herself comfortable by stripping down and getting into the warm mineral water that flowed naturally into the cave from the ceiling above.

Serina tried to not make a face when Maelith suggested that Damien help with her wound. That was the last thing she wanted was help from that particular dragon, especially seeming as so far one dragon had killed her boss and framed her and this one was eyeing her like food. When he stated as much she wanted to instantly tell him to back off but, she knew the importance of not being foolish.

She moves over to him after Maelith left the room. She really didn't like that she had brought the woman into all of this. It wasn't fair to Maelith at least in her eyes she didn't think so. Removing her jacket it revealed the hole in her shoulder and that the bandaging to her stab wound was soaked in her blood. She eyes the dragon a little, wary of him now but she couldn't help but think of her father when she looked at the dragon. She shakes her head and says. "My parents would have liked you..." She says smiling faintly.

Then gets focused on the situation at hand. "Before we close the stab wound, I need to purge it. Something was on the blade." She says sighing.

The dragon smiled slightly as he opened the wooden box he had pulled down, "Interesting, I'm sure I would have liked most of your kind had you hadn't sired the kind that hunt us now," From the box he pulled out a bottle with a amber colored liquid inside of it along with a ceramic jar decorated in hand painted violets, "We will wash the wounds with this," He pointed to the liquid, "It will burn out the poison that I smell there then the salve will heal your wounds," He point to the jar, "You will only need a little and will be healed with in a few hours."

Dropping his hand back into the box after putting the items on the small carved table between them, he pulled out a knife and a set of tweezers. He looked from the two items then in his hands then to her shoulder, "You don't have to trust me. I sure don't you but that woman has a heart far too kind for her own good," His golden eyes dropped away for a moment before he leaned in moved the flesh slightly with the knife before pushing the tweezers in to withdraw the bullet he dropped it onto the table before along with the two objects before picking up the bottle and uncorking it, "Lean back a little so we get the liquid inside the wound. It will burn a little," When she did he poured letting the liquid do its work. It foamed a little before dying down. He traded it out for the salve. He had her then lean slightly away from him so he could reach her side. Ripping the bandage off he then repeated the process there.

Once done he put the things away into the box without putting any bandages over her wounds. The would have stopped bleeding likely enough thank to the salve. Leaning back he studied her slowly.

Trust? What was that word anymore? There was no trust in this business but then again she supposed there was some level of trust. She looks to him. "Don't trust me. Trust my actions." She says. As he dug into the wound to removed the bullet, she didn't move, didn't grimace and didn't make a sound. There was a time long ago when she would have but years of pain and practice had taught her to tolerate the pain on a different level, blocking it out. She was thinking about his words about Maelith. She didn't want the woman involved in any of this.

As he directed her to move each way, she did as told. She felt the stinging from the salve but still she didn't react. When he was done, she pulled her shirt back over her side but pauses when she saw that he was staring at her. She wasn't used to being in a situation where she could be seen and the way he watched her made her alert.

He sighed as he leaned back slightly, "You aren't like them," He noted, "How did she end up in this? I guess she said she was in without giving you a chance to say no?" The thought made him smile, "She will fight for you even beat someone senseless if given the upper hand."

"What was your boss up to when you last heard from him?" It was had for him to not ask. His gaze then flicked towards the left of her.

Maelith stood there dressed in what was clearly a set of pjs, "Enough questions for tonight," she murmured softly. The tired look in her eyes was clear.

She shakes her head a little "She was in my story shopping when I got the call about my boss being killed..." She shakes her head "Then we went to get lunch together and it all snowballed from there." She looks at him a little carefully when he asked about what her boss had been up to. She would have answered him though just the same because she knew to lie to him would just be foolish but she knew to tell him that she had given him what research she had on myths, angering a dragon wasn't exactly on her list. She had seen his gaze shift and looked to see Maelith.

The woman looked exhausted and she felt as if she was to blame for that. If there was a way for her to keep Maelith out of this mess, she would do it instantly. She valued the friendship the woman was showing her but feared what could happen. This line of work wasn't for one to have friends. Families barely survived. Her own parents had struggled but had deserved their retirement. It made her miss them.

Serina nods a little. "Please, get some rest." She was used to remaining up for hours and hours without rest and sleeping for short periods and feeling rejuvenated after.

The dragon motioned for the Maelith to come over to him which she did without thought, "You haven't been taking care of yourself," he noted as he looked her face over, "Did you take your meds this morning?"

She gave a nod, "The docs have been trying to change things," She explained gently.

Damien stood from his chair and fishe through another box before handing her a bottle with liquid the color blue, "Take a sip then off to bed for you," He states, "And I told you to stop seeing those quacks. Do it this time."

She did as she was told then made her way behind anther screen to sleep in the large bed that was behind it. In a mater of moments the soft sound of her soft even breathing could be heard. The dragon sat back down and sighed, "She's got a bad heart," He explained, "They want to give her a new one instead of just giving her something that will help her."

Serina listened to the conversation between the two but she didn't say anything. Just listened. When Maelith went to lay down after doing as she was told, it was Damien's words that caught her off guard. Maelith had a bad heart? She shakes her head and a heavy sigh leaves her lips. "I do not want her involved in this." She shakes her head, she felt angry with herself for even let it get this far. She never should have said yes to dinner. She should have sent Maelith on her way and the woman would be safe.

All of this could be her fault, she had given the boss the research and the then he must have stumbled across something. It was all a chain of events that even if she didn't kill him, she might as well have at this point. She pulls her hair from the braid and ran her fingers through it, something that calmed her at times.

He shook his head, "She doesn't listen too well when it comes to staying away from trouble," He smiled at Serina, "Either way she is involved. There isn't any thing you can say to her to get her to stop trying to prove you are a good being. She did it for me when we first met. Well not quite like you. I saved her crazy life then sent her ass back down the mountain only to find her back on my doorstep two days later with a basket of food." His smile was gentle and kind as he remembered, "I told her I would eat her but it still didn't send her on her way. Showed her what I was only to have her ask me if I wanted a steak or not."

She smiles a little as he told her about how him and Maelith had met. "Stubborn..." she mutters then stops in her calming routine and looks at him. "I'm not a good being. I kill for money. My entire family. My parents, to my brother and me." She shakes her head then sighs. "But as you said, convincing her otherwise would never work." That made her think of her parents, wondering if they were aware of everything yet or if her brother had kept it all from them. Probably be better to leave them be. Then again, her brother was staying out of it. He had only warned her but he hadn't stuck around to do anything else. She shakes her head a bit then looks to the fire quietly.

The next step, that was what was important. She had to figure out what to do next. It made her wonder if she needed to find this dragon that had killed the boss but then again, she had a feeling the boss had been asking for it and deserved his death. Which made her want to leave the dragons alone in all of this and just continue to fight her own for the rest of her life.

"Being good or bad is suggestive," He states, "In the end it matters little... We will clear you of theses charges and you can return to your life while we can attempt at trying to get Maelith to keep to herself," The dragon knew well that was impossible. He knew the human too well. If it wasn't for her weak heart he might have thought her a Fae or something, "White dragons tend to live at the tops of mountains or so far into the poles its hard to find them. My guess is she's a mountain drake like myself."

She nods a little as she stares into the fire. "My boss was researching...looking into the myths. He would never tell me what he was looking for exactly, just that it was something to pass the time. I have him all my research. I never thought anything of it...my research was strictly limited to the stories that clung to an item I had found in my travels." She shakes her head. "I was foolish not to believe more..."

She turns her gaze to the dragon now. "I have a feeling that the dragon who killed my boss may have been justified in doing so. The man was not always kind and if he threaten to reveal her..she had every right to defend herself."

The male lifted his shoulder slightly, "If he did threaten her she might have destroyed him but she would have taken her scale with him. I think she got angry with him did something that wouldn't have killed another dragon. Upon realizing this she decided to flee," He sighed softly, "I don't know what to think as a relationship between a dragon and a human is normally frowned upon greatly as humans are weaker than we are."

She looks back towards the fire, shaking her head a little. "He was always with his protecting but even they can not confirm if he was seeing anyone." She sighs heavily. This all seemed to be one large mess and the simplest thing to do it would seem, would be to speak to the female dragon. Hear her side of things and possibly get answers. Serina didn't even know dragons existed until now so she knew she didn't know the female, plus even if she had, she didn't know of any female who had white hair like hers.

That brought her back to thinking about what Maelith said about the scale. She narrows her eyes into the fire. Her parents....Her thoughts were brought back to them. They were skilled killers, her brother as well. They retired to the mountains. Mountains that no one else lived in and no one ever visited. She shakes her head and pushes the thoughts from her mind. How foolish was she being? Her parents. That was impossible. She would know if she wasn't human.

She turns her gaze back to him. "What would you advice to be done in this situation? I know only the stories of your kind but nothing more....I do not wish to endanger anyone and would like to avoid, as you said, being eaten."

The dragon blinked at the woman across from him. Did she really just ask him for his help? Damien leaned forward slightly, "I would suggest that you figure each being you meet next could be a dragon," He says, "We can only be killed by a dagger to the chest," He moves his coat so she can see the tattoo, "Right here," he says tapping the soft spot, "Any where else human form or dragon is hard as steel. This only shows up after our first change into a dragon. Before that we are as soft as humans all over."

He rubbed his neck slightly, "Our ability to breath fire is limited. In either form we can breath it but we can only use this ability a few times during a day as it drains our energy."

Back