Conley Brothers

Spectra laughed lightly and hugged him back "no thank you Kaz" she smiled

--

She looked up at him "then it is about time Claudius" she said softly

Kazimir ruffled her hair fondly and let her go. "You would have found a way! But being out cousin, this is a good choice, and you will not be lying!"

"Hmm, he's right," Vlad agreed, checking the pot. "According to Romanian tradition, you will not be lying."

~~

Claudius ducked his head a little. After a bit, he admitted, "I... I am worried to leave the circus. For other's sakes. My little Star Creature friend. At least he has Vlad, yes?"

Spectra smiled "what do you mean? What tradition?" She asked, looking between the two brothers. If they considered her family thrn she could certainly get away with it

--

"Yes..he has vlad.." she sighed. She would miss everyone but...it was clear she needed to escape before she could help anyone else

"When you are a Roma, you are family," Vlad explained calmly. "There are many instances of those who are not Roma being... adopted, for lack of a better word, into our traditions, and as family, we are all 'cousin.' You do not have to be related by blood to be a cousin."

"Which means there is a matchmaker in every family who keeps track of the bloodlines and arranges marriages," Kaz said cheerfully.

"Arranged marriage has a sour taste to Americans, but when your gene pool is as small as ours, it makes a bit more sense," Vlad shrugged. "Of course, there are plenty of non-arranged marriages, as well, but they must be approved by the matchmaker just in case." He smiled faintly. "Not that you needed to know all that. In sum... you are now our cousin. No deception necessary."

~~

Claudius tipped his head and looked at her seriously. "I want to help you get away. How can I do that?"

Spectra smiled brightly at the explanation. "Well...I must say I feel honored to be your family" she loved them all as such anyway "I've long considered Vlad at the twins family and now you Kaz and star too"

Kazimir beamed at that, and Vlad simply dipped his head. "Of course." He fetched the wooden bowls and started serving up roasted pork vegetables from the pot. "Now, time to eat!"

She smiled and sat down to eat with them "thanks Vlad. Much better than the cookhouse options"

-

Camilla shook her head "I don't know yet...

"Of course!" Vlad smiled. "Now, then, about sleeping arrangements..."

"Awkward, even if you are family," Kaz snickered.

The twins fetched their bowls and took them in to see Star.

~~

"If you think of anything, tell me," Claudius said softly.

"Oh don't worry about that" she said "I'll just shrink down and I can sleep anyplace" now that she had her powers back

Star had started to doze off again, leaning against the wall but jumped awake when the door opened. He smiled.

--

Camilla nodded "I need to talk to Vlad first...and time to think"

"Shrink down? Really?" Kazimir asked, fascinated by the thought.

"We have dinner for you!" Tim chirped, offering Star a bowl.

~~

Claudius nodded. "That would be best, I think."

She smiled "oh yes! I have a whole slew of magic at my fingertips now" she smiled happily "a little rusty perhaps but it will all come back easily enough I should think"

She nodded but didn't move, wanting to just sit quietly for a little while

She sighed "too many years" she answered "but it doesn't matter now. I have them and nothing will take them from me again"

"It's alright Vlad" she said softly "it's a perfectly natural question and we are family" she said before looking at Kaz "they were taken from me" she said

She sighed "I was young and nieve" she said "I trusted him..I may as well have given him my wings" she sighed

Kaz reached out and touched her hand. "We all do silly stuff when we are young. At least you have them back and you are not dead. That is something, yes?"

She nodded "yes that's exactly right" she said, staying on the posetive side of things.
She finally got a bite of food in "this is amazing Vlad. I don't know how you do it"

"Lots of practice after living on my own and my grandmother's cookbook," Vlad chuckled.

Kaz frowned at him. "Is that where it went? I was looking for that!"

"Why? You do not cook."

"Well... no... but it looks nice and reminds me of family."

"I'll give it to you if you learn how to cook."

"Deal!"

Back